Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Bes
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2018

my entry, good luck to everyone

- Certified Reason expert

jimmyklane

18 Apr 2018

I saw that a moderator said "you can use player modules"...I took this to mean the ID8, but am I wrong and that just means the note echo and arpeggio devices? If so, please get back to me after checking out the track so somebody can tell me if I need to replace the Piano with a synthesized EP really quick.....since the deadline is today, any quick replies would be really great.

Thank you so much everyone!
-Jim
DAW: Reason 12

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

www.soundcloud.com/jimmyklane

Kategra

18 Apr 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
18 Apr 2018

I saw that a moderator said "you can use player modules"...I took this to mean the ID8, but am I wrong and that just means the note echo and arpeggio devices? If so, please get back to me after checking out the track so somebody can tell me if I need to replace the Piano with a synthesized EP really quick.....since the deadline is today, any quick replies would be really great.

-Jim
Replace it with a synthesized EP. Only Subtractor, Malstrom or Thor.

jimmyklane

18 Apr 2018

Here is my final submission. Short and sweet....a nice hopeful vibe.
Having listened to the tracks here, I went a very different direction but there is so much talent displayed in all the submitted tracks! Take a listen, I'd love to hear your opinion on this song....it was a nice challenge to go back to the "Reason 2.5 mindset"...

Enjoy!
-Jim

SAMPLERS: Akai MPC 2000, E-mu SP1200, E-Mu e5000Ultra, Ensoniq EPS 16+, Akai S950, Maschine

SYNTHS: Mostly classic Polysynths and more modern Monosynths. All are mostly food for my samplers!

jimmyklane

18 Apr 2018

Kategra wrote:
18 Apr 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
18 Apr 2018

-Jim
Replace it with a synthesized EP. Only Subtractor, Malstrom or Thor.
Thanks a lot man! I programmed a quick EP in Thor and popped the RX on it....it's really interesting to hear the mix with and without all the devices! Even when I take it off the main mix buss it loses a lot of the great "old sampler" flavor.

I own a 950, along with a bunch of other samplers, and I think I'm going to rework this intro and create a full song with it using all of Reason's power. BTW: your track is great! awesome vibe, and I can hear the Akai sound all over it. Well Done!!!

platzangst

18 Apr 2018

Coming in just under the wire:

joeyluck

18 Apr 2018

Hey modecca and PortendingHonor, have y'all submitted via the form?
https://competition.reasontalk.com/rx950/

To everybody, you have a little over 4 hours to submit! :)
modecca wrote:
13 Apr 2018
PortendingHonor wrote:
08 Apr 2018

Once I got some CV action routed to the RX 950 Audio Bandwidth and Filter from Pulsars, it got pretty cool! Even created a 950 as a send effect to give the overall track a touch of color. Good luck to all!

HeavyViper

18 Apr 2018

The deadline will pass while I'm asleep, so I'll say it now: best of luck to everyone! You're all doing real magic with these samples and this RE!
Sound Designer and Composer :reason: FM+PSG Chip Sorcerer
https://heavyviper.bandcamp.com

MarkTarlton

18 Apr 2018

here is mine :)

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2018

Here's my entry.

Edit: so much that needs to be changed, but left it till the last minute.
Last edited by avasopht on 18 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

avasopht
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2018

CGarzia wrote:
17 Apr 2018
Thanks for the nice competition, that was fun!

Wow, brilliant sound you got there!

campbejo
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2018

My entry

CGarzia
Competition Winner

18 Apr 2018

avasopht wrote:
18 Apr 2018
CGarzia wrote:
17 Apr 2018
Thanks for the nice competition, that was fun!

Wow, brilliant sound you got there!
Thanks! Decided to try something different. :)

Tinnitus

18 Apr 2018

My non-entry, as I thought the deadline was 11pm UK time (it was 10pm).
I have now just uploaded the latest mix and thought I may as well share it here. This is my 2nd attempt at a song in Reason, so still mastering the basics. Lots of fun. Loving reason and quite like the RX950 too.

The only non sample in it is the Subtractor Rhodes.

Last edited by Tinnitus on 19 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.

ismael

18 Apr 2018

Had some fun!

jimmyklane

18 Apr 2018

campbejo wrote:
18 Apr 2018
My entry

WELL DONE!!! Super chill and atmospheric tune, I enjoyed listening a few times. Despite going for pure 80’s cheese with my tune I loved the very modern approach to this song. I can hear the RX950 in plenty of places, but I’m curious to know how much of this is synthesis vs samples? I was able to loop the sounds in hardware (My Ensoniq does great things) but of course couldn’t use any of that, and only got glitch loops in the NN19/NNXT...so basically I’d love to hear a bit more about this track.

Wickline

18 Apr 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
campbejo wrote:
18 Apr 2018
My entry

WELL DONE!!! Super chill and atmospheric tune, I enjoyed listening a few times. Despite going for pure 80’s cheese with my tune I loved the very modern approach to this song. I can hear the RX950 in plenty of places, but I’m curious to know how much of this is synthesis vs samples? I was able to loop the sounds in hardware (My Ensoniq does great things) but of course couldn’t use any of that, and only got glitch loops in the NN19/NNXT...so basically I’d love to hear a bit more about this track.
I think that’s my favorite submission here too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:reason: :record: :refill: :re: :PUF_take: :rebirth: :PUF_figure:

[Signature size reduced by a moderator] :puf_bigsmile:

jimmyklane

18 Apr 2018

Now that I'm under no constraints, I'm going to take these 40 samples and work with only them....I'm sure now that the pressure is off I'll produce something brilliant :-\

modecca

19 Apr 2018

💃
Last edited by modecca on 20 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.
🔗💥

campbejo
Competition Winner

19 Apr 2018

jimmyklane wrote:
18 Apr 2018
campbejo wrote:
18 Apr 2018
My entry

Thanks Jim, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I almost didn't enter with time running out because I felt the arrangement wasn't ready ( still don't ) and it was only roughly mixed while I wrote it. But I worked hard on it and had a lot of fun so I entered anyway. Regarding the composition, it's all samples, I didn't use any synths and I think that's what gives the song its sound, and I don't think I could achieve the same mood using synths tbh. Hope this gives you the insight you wanted.

I listened to both versions of your entry and preferred the second version. The EP fits the vibe of the song better imo and gives it some old school flavour. Definitely delivered on 80's cheese :D
Wickline wrote:
18 Apr 2018

Thanks Wickline. Your track was uplifting and interesting, with a very modern sound. There's been a lot of good music entered on this thread with a lot of variety so I certainly don't envy the judges, and I appreciate you saying that.

I've listened to every track submitted so far and the quality has been very high, so good luck to everyone.

Wickline

19 Apr 2018

campbejo wrote:
Wickline wrote:
18 Apr 2018

Thanks Wickline. Your track was uplifting and interesting, with a very modern sound. There's been a lot of good music entered on this thread with a lot of variety so I certainly don't envy the judges, and I appreciate you saying that.

I've listened to every track submitted so far and the quality has been very high, so good luck to everyone.
Thanks! Funny you said modern sound cause there is an RX950 on almost every channel lol

campbejo
Competition Winner

19 Apr 2018

Wickline wrote:
19 Apr 2018

Thanks! Funny you said modern sound cause there is an RX950 on almost every channel lol

:lol: I guess it's the fact that everything sounds big which i think is a modern sound and it's very well mixed. Jimmyklane said something similar about my track which i thought was funny because I was going for a retro sound.

I suppose we all interpret things differently.

Wickline

19 Apr 2018

campbejo wrote:
Wickline wrote:
19 Apr 2018

:lol: I guess it's the fact that everything sounds big which i think is a modern sound and it's very well mixed. Jimmyklane said something similar about my track which i thought was funny because I was going for a retro sound.

I suppose we all interpret things differently.
:lol: i guess we do haha

FLVZ

19 Apr 2018

This must be the most interesting selection of diverse high quality songs I've heard on any competition. The judges have a real task picking a winner. And this rack extension I'm falling in love with the more i use it! I can see it being one of those that's used in every song!

jimmyklane

19 Apr 2018

campbejo wrote:
19 Apr 2018
jimmyklane wrote:
18 Apr 2018

Thanks Jim, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I almost didn't enter with time running out because I felt the arrangement wasn't ready ( still don't ) and it was only roughly mixed while I wrote it. But I worked hard on it and had a lot of fun so I entered anyway. Regarding the composition, it's all samples, I didn't use any synths and I think that's what gives the song its sound, and I don't think I could achieve the same mood using synths tbh. Hope this gives you the insight you wanted.

I listened to both versions of your entry and preferred the second version. The EP fits the vibe of the song better imo and gives it some old school flavour. Definitely delivered on 80's cheese :D
Wickline wrote:
18 Apr 2018

All samples? That’s crazy man....I am so used to an almost exclusive hardware workflow (Reason is my sequencer and tape machine) that I had a hell of a time getting nice loop points in NN19 or NNXT, so I used one-shots mostly....goes to show how powerful Reason alone is in the right hands. Now that the contest is over I’m creating a new track with just the 40 provided samples, but this time it’s much simpler for me to loop everything because I have sophisticated options in hardware. I would love to see this thread (or another dedicated new thread) survive and showcase other songs created with those samples and the RX950....with no limitations other than that....no audio editing, no outside samples, etc. I know that I’ll post my own finished track here for opinions and hopefully to spur some cool collaborations as well

• Information