Is this an Octave change bug?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
C//AZM

16 Apr 2018

I'm working on a song and there are a series of seven notes buried in my busy piano track that I think may sound better up an octave so I F8 and click, click, click the transpose gizmo till it reads+12. Upon listening, I conclude that it's not better up an octave... So perhaps down an octave from the original will be better?
Still with me?
Ctr-Z undoes the transpose and puts it back to the original octave, but I lose the seven note selection. So instead of doing that, I click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click,click and change the transpose number thingy to -24 while the seven notes are still selected.
No problem, right?
This should transpose just the notes down to an octave BELOW the original position right? But instead of only transposing the seven selected notes down, it transposes the entire track!! Happened to me several times. I'm sure it's me doing something wrong... WTF?

chimp_spanner

16 Apr 2018

Not able to check atm but if this is something you're consistently running into then you could always just double click the note value in the key editor and type in -24, or + whatever and it'll do the same as using the F8 toolbox.

WongoTheSane

16 Apr 2018

I think it's because you clicked inside the clip (but not on a note) before transposing down. This has the effect of deselecting the notes and selecting the clip itself (i.e. all its content), which you then transposed.

chimp_spanner's suggestion is the fastest one, as it avoids bringing up the F8 toolbox, but if it's already displayed, you can also edit the number of semitones to transpose by, by clicking on the value and typing a number (-12, +7 or whatever). Alternately, you can also click on the value and move the mouse up or down.

Ahornberg

16 Apr 2018

Yes, it's tricky. If in a clip the vertical white lines are not visible then the whole clip is selected.

C//AZM

16 Apr 2018

Thanks for the responses. I'm positive that only those notes were selected and they were still selected with the little arrows on either side... I'm going to try to repeat it when I get back. Yes I know you can change the note pitch in the note value window, but the way I described should work too.

C//AZM

29 Apr 2018

YEP, Still does the same thing. Grab a small midi notes out of a larger group, transpose them up an octave +12, then transpose them down-12 and the entire group transposes even though only the small group was highlighted.

Ahornberg

30 Apr 2018

Which Reason version do you use?

C//AZM

02 May 2018

Ahornberg wrote:
30 Apr 2018

Ahornberg

02 May 2018

C//AZM wrote:
02 May 2018
Ahornberg wrote:
30 Apr 2018
Sorry, can't tell anything about that, I'm on 9.5 which doesn't seem to have this issue.

WongoTheSane

02 May 2018

I don't have it either on R10/Windows 7, whether I use Undo or not, whether I click Apply several times with a value of 1 or -1, or just once with 12 or -12. You haven't specified at which point you're clicking on Apply, though; would it be possible for you to describe the exact sequence of keys (and clicks) you're typing?

LudvigC
Reason Studios

04 May 2018

It sounds as if the keyboard focus shifts from the clip area to the track list, causing the Transpose to affect all clips on the track.

I haven't been able to reproduce this - do you by any chance click in the track list at some point?

/ LudvigC

• Information