Reason 10 Lite (with Akai controllers)

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Despondo
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2018

New version of Reason shipping with hardware....

From Akai's Facebook page:

"In collaboration with Propellerhead, we proudly introduce REASON LITE, a custom-designed version of Reason for owners of Akai Pro hardware controllers.

-Reason Lite offers EIGHT instrument and/or audio tracks and much of the same workflow, instruments and creative tools as the full version of Reason.

-It’s available for FREE with the purchase of select hardware products including Akai Professional’s MPK2 series, MPK mini mk2, MPD2 series, LPK25 Wireless and LPD8 Wireless controllers.

-Current owners of these products can simply log in to your Akai account to retrieve your Reason Lite serial here:

http://www.akaipro.com/login -Once you have your license number, download Reason Lite here: https://www.propellerheads.se/reason-lite/akai

http://www.akaipro.com/login
---------------
Watch these new videos showing how easy it is to link Akai hardware with Reason software:

Using LPK25 Wireless/LPD8 Wireless with Reason 10

Using MPK249/MPD226 with Reason 10

#akai #mpk #mpk225 #mpk249 #mpk261 #mpd #mpd218 #mpd226 #propellerhead #reason10 #controllers #midi Propellerhead Software"

esselfortium

10 Apr 2018

Nice. I'm glad they're going for these hardware bundle tie-ins again, it's been way too long.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

avasopht
Competition Winner

10 Apr 2018

esselfortium wrote:
10 Apr 2018
Nice. I'm glad they're going for these hardware bundle tie-ins again, it's been way too long.
I'm just waiting / hoping for the Ableton Push2 integration ;)

antic604

10 Apr 2018

avasopht wrote:
10 Apr 2018
esselfortium wrote:
10 Apr 2018
I'm just waiting / hoping for the Ableton Push2 integration ;)
You mean like this: http://retouchcontrol.com/pusher/ ?

Psuper

10 Apr 2018

I just had a look here:
https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... n-lite-10/

R10 lite is in many ways better than R10 for someone like myself -- I have better equivalents of missing devices in REs or VSTs, and create my own sounds almost exclusively so little need for the extra banks/content. And free with some hardware... I have mixed feelings about it.

The 8 total tracks would be a bit limiting is all I can see, not so much for me though I rarely use that many (with the exception of my Orchestra template).
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Catblack

11 Apr 2018

Looks interesting. I wonder if Lite is the same as Intro?

https://www.propellerheads.se/reason-lite/akai

It does explain why the Remote files for Akai were updated in the last update...
Last edited by Catblack on 11 Apr 2018, edited 1 time in total.
If you ain't hip to the rare Housequake, shut up already.

Damn.

alexjoe9

11 Apr 2018

Its a little less but still impressive. Also this is huge as reason has been falling behind by not getting its software in peoples hands enough. All these promotions will do is help us reason users continue to get better updates with bigger budgets. The more reason rises the ranks the better it is.

alexjoe9

11 Apr 2018

This does make me wonder if reason/akai will start integrating its controllers/software with eachother a little better.

Psuper

11 Apr 2018

alexjoe9 wrote:
11 Apr 2018
Its a little less but still impressive. Also this is huge as reason has been falling behind by not getting its software in peoples hands enough. All these promotions will do is help us reason users continue to get better updates with bigger budgets. The more reason rises the ranks the better it is.
I'm of a different mind and disagree. When I see "free software" with hardware (or piggy backed off of anything) I immediately think its not worth anything.

Now I think R10 lite is quite amazing as a freebie for someone who doesn't own Reason as I mentioned in the other thread, however all these mini and cross promotions are pointing more and more to the "Propellerhead is wringing every last drop while they can" move instead of the "Look what amazing things we have planned" strategy.

esselfortium

11 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
11 Apr 2018
alexjoe9 wrote:
11 Apr 2018
I'm of a different mind and disagree. When I see "free software" with hardware (or piggy backed off of anything) I immediately think its not worth anything.

Now I think R10 lite is quite amazing as a freebie for someone who doesn't own Reason as I mentioned in the other thread, however all these mini and cross promotions are pointing more and more to the "Propellerhead is wringing every last drop while they can" move instead of the "Look what amazing things we have planned" strategy.
This isn’t a remotely new thing. Propellerhead has had versions of Reason bundled for free with hardware before, a long time ago, like Reason Adapted and Reason Limited. Lite and Intro are just the latest refreshes of products that have existed in some form since the early 2000s when Reason was in its infancy. The doomsaying is as unrealistic as it is unhelpful.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

alexjoe9

11 Apr 2018

esselfortium wrote:
11 Apr 2018
Psuper wrote:
11 Apr 2018

This isn’t a remotely new thing. Propellerhead has had versions of Reason bundled for free with hardware before, a long time ago, like Reason Adapted and Reason Limited. Lite and Intro are just the latest refreshes of products that have existed in some form since the early 2000s when Reason was in its infancy. The doomsaying is as unrealistic as it is unhelpful.
Now i dont think its new but how is it not benefficial for current users to have the software become more popular. The lite version even supports vsts when other daws have lite versions that dont. Yes they should ring every drop out of it and it doesnt make sense why they didnt before. I like it and if i hadnt just bought reason i would jump on it in a heart beat.

ckoehler

11 Apr 2018

I think Reason become more popular now. Great marketing IMHO last months.
:reason: Reason 10 @ Windows 10

QVprod

11 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
11 Apr 2018
alexjoe9 wrote:
11 Apr 2018
Say that to the millions of Ableton Live users. Live Lite comes free with almost every product on the market.
Not at all. Akai wouldn't be cross promoting a dying product. That would be a silly business move. Also the last promotion Props ran was the upgrade offer from Essentials, Adapted, and Limited, which was clearly to make room for the new Intro and Lite versions.

That aside, There was already a thread on this. They are now merged.

kuhliloach

11 Apr 2018

Not sure I'm in favor of limited Reason versions. If I were in charge of sales I'd attempt to multiply the user base by a factor of 12 while dropping full blown Reason to, say, $99, while also dropping copy protection. On the Akai side of things my respect for the MPK mini grows each day so glad to see a partnership.

EdGrip

11 Apr 2018

The most commonly bundled lite-version DAWs are Cubase and Ableton Live. Nobody thinks of either of those brands as worthless even though they bundle versions of their software with hardware. It's such a nonsense notion.
I have to wonder what thing Propellerhead could possibly do that you wouldn't immediately declare a sign that "they are in trouble".
Bundle version? In trouble.
New synths? In trouble.
Updated factory sound bank? In trouble.
Something on sale? In trouble.
VSTs? In trouble.
Track freezing with extra ghost notes? In trouble.
Magic sequencer that records directly from your thoughts? What a gimmick. Definitely in trouble.

chimp_spanner

11 Apr 2018

Who knows what PH have in store? Maybe Akai know something we don't ;) Either way it's really cool to see so much buzz around Reason this last year or so. Hopefully it'll help pay for some work to the core program in 10.5 or 11. Hell, not even that much I'd like to see changed/added. Just little finishing touches. Although I know others have more wants/needs than me!!

EnochLight

11 Apr 2018

FYI for any Windows 10 users who are considering the wireless MIDI Bluetooth option:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=7506375
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

miscend

11 Apr 2018

Yeah it’s not a new thing. Korg controllers include a version of Reason, I think it’s called Reason Limited or something. I’m sure they will soon be updating that to Reason Intro.

RobC

12 Apr 2018

Too bad I have both LPK25 and LPD8, but they are wire folks. I like free software. xD Even if I already have Reason 10.
I had Reason Limited with my Korg microKEY.
Always fun to see different versions.

Psuper

12 Apr 2018

QVprod wrote:
11 Apr 2018
Psuper wrote:
11 Apr 2018

Say that to the millions of Ableton Live users. Live Lite comes free with almost every product on the market.
Not at all. Akai wouldn't be cross promoting a dying product. That would be a silly business move. Also the last promotion Props ran was the upgrade offer from Essentials, Adapted, and Limited, which was clearly to make room for the new Intro and Lite versions.

That aside, There was already a thread on this. They are now merged.
R10 lite is damn near preferable than R10 full to me (at the very least, I can do the same in R10 lite as I do in Reason now with zero adjustments to my workflow). So its like the entire program being given away with 8 track limitations which isn't a huge deal (especially if its rewired). I'm getting R10 lite myself if my MPK249 can ever get registered.

(to qv) I never said Reason is dying, nor that (to essel) cross promotion is new (I've been buying hardware with included junk for longer than most posters have lived I'd imagine). I said what I said, and this round I'll just leave it at that as there's not much to add except I too hope it works out, just have a differing opinion of what strategies should be employed.

QVprod

12 Apr 2018

Psuper wrote:
12 Apr 2018
R10 lite is damn near preferable than R10 full to me (at the very least, I can do the same in R10 lite as I do in Reason now with zero adjustments to my workflow). So its like the entire program being given away with 8 track limitations which isn't a huge deal (especially if its rewired). I'm getting R10 lite myself if my MPK249 can ever get registered.

(to qv) I never said Reason is dying, nor that (to essel) cross promotion is new (I've been buying hardware with included junk for longer than most posters have lived I'd imagine). I said what I said, and this round I'll just leave it at that as there's not much to add except I too hope it works out, just have a differing opinion of what strategies should be employed.
You have to realize that your needs in particular are extremely basic. You do piano and voice. Of course 8 tracks are more than what you need. The typical Reason user is going to want more tracks than that. Most of us are doing a lot more than piano and voice. Intro on the other hand, I can see a better argument for, however even 16 tracks is easy to fill when adding vocals to a full production. Also, Intro isn't Rewire compatible so I'd guess Lite isn't either.

While you didn't say Reason was dying, you said that they were squeezing all they can out of it, which can be interpreted as a "doom and gloom" type of comment especially when you stated that you feel anything free is worthless. When the Verdane investment was announced, Propellerhead stated that they were looking to expand their user base. That means new users. Everything they've done of recent, including these new limited Reason versions, lines up with that... And it seems to be working.

kuhliloach

12 Apr 2018

The fundamental idea here is anti-technological and sales driven--that's what I don't agree with. Change a number within a piece of code to 8, use copy-protection to enforce said limitation. Just feels like a complete waste of time and energy. Rather than appeal to the potential of the software, and inspire a potential user base, cripple the software? And for what purpose? I'm curious how many people actually use the limited versions of these programs. Wouldn't that developer time be better spent on something else?

QVprod

12 Apr 2018

kuhliloach wrote:
12 Apr 2018
The fundamental idea here is anti-technological and sales driven--that's what I don't agree with. Change a number within a piece of code to 8, use copy-protection to enforce said limitation. Just feels like a complete waste of time and energy. Rather than appeal to the potential of the software, and inspire a potential user base, cripple the software? And for what purpose? I'm curious how many people actually use the limited versions of these programs. Wouldn't that developer time be better spent on something else?
It's marketing. Draw people into the software with a low barrier to entry. If they like it enough they'll upgrade. I use my Ableton Live Lite license. It useful because it's great at something Reason isn't, and because it's limited, I'll probably upgrade to Live Standard at some point. Probably wouldn't have ever considered it if I didn't get it free with something I bought. A lite version of Bitwig came free with my Nektar P6. I checked it out. I don't care for it, but again I would've never bothered to download it otherwise. A new user is more likely to try a software out if they can (legally) get a version of it for free. It's supposed to be sales driven as that's how these companies make money. It's not like they're limiting the potential of the full version of the software, and I'd imagine creating a stripped down version of a full program doesn't take much effort to be considered a waste of time. Keep in mind, many of the customers buying these Akai controllers don't currently own a DAW and so they would in fact be using the limited version as a start. Others who already own DAWs may check it out simply out of curiosity and sometimes it may stick.

Psuper

12 Apr 2018

Sure but Live Lite is freely downloadable by anyone, plus I've never loaded freebs on a CD from any hardware purchase.

Certainly I recognize my usage of reason is vastly different than many which is why I made the point, however I'd also argue a good portion of users typically wouldn't need more than 8 tracks. Regardless, there are plenty of ways around the limitation.

I'd take a vastly different approach to "pull" users in if that's their top goal, of which I've made clear plenty of times how I'd tackle it. However I have no idea what is working or not for Props, and I'm pretty certain no one will ever know one way or the other.
Last edited by Psuper on 12 Apr 2018, edited 2 times in total.

EnochLight

12 Apr 2018

Well, there's tried and trusted industry methods which have been proven to work, which appears to be the method Props are taking (again). This isn't so dissimilar to the light versions of Reason in the past which were included with hardware partners for free - it's just got an updated feature set and different limits. I find Intro/Lite far more powerful than Adapted ever was, and they both seem more focused than Essentials. Anyway, there are far more learned men and women who steer the ship. I'm fairly certain they know what they're doing.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information