Need help - ADT combinator

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
krancek

16 Mar 2018

Did any of you guys ever made combinator, close to Waves ADT effect for vocals, and if yes, would you share it? Marco Raaphorst maybe or anyone else? I menioned Marco becouse he did a great job with softube amp combinators, Rockmen refills, Rappie Road tape nachine ( one of the best sounding tape emulations IMO ), but if anyone maybe made ADT ( or could make it ), I would really apreciate, thank you.

selig
RE Developer

16 Mar 2018

krancek wrote:Did any of you guys ever made combinator, close to Waves ADT effect for vocals, and if yes, would you share it? Marco Raaphorst maybe or anyone else? I menioned Marco becouse he did a great job with softube amp combinators, Rockmen refills, Rappie Road tape nachine ( one of the best sounding tape emulations IMO ), but if anyone maybe made ADT ( or could make it ), I would really apreciate, thank you.
Quickest way would be to use The Echo and ART “Tape” preset. Use delays from 20-50 ms as a starting point, with no feedback. In “All You Need is Ears” George Martin says the delay time for their tape machines were between 27-28 ms. BUT, they also used to vari-speed the machines used for ADT, so other delay times were almost certainly also used.

Start with this setup and in the spirit of the Beatles, explore from there!

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

krancek

16 Mar 2018

Thank you for the tip, Selig, will try that. For the sound I hear "somewhere in my head" I might add a touch of chorus too, and see how close I can get.

Marco Raaphorst

16 Mar 2018

I am working on a ReFill with all kinds of retro effects. Here's the ADT patch I am working on:
ADT Machine.cmb.zip
(109.08 KiB) Downloaded 201 times

selig
RE Developer

16 Mar 2018

Here's a quick Combinator that covers the basics.
Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 2.02.14 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-16 at 2.02.14 PM.png (499.92 KiB) Viewed 1196 times
The controls should be pretty much self explanatory. The except may be the "Center/Panned" control, which allows you to pan the dry vocal left and doubled vocal right. Otherwise, the rest of the controls are pretty much duplicated from The Echo's front panel, except the Level, Solo, and Mute controls (Line Mixer), and the Tape Speed control (ART "Tape").
SeligADT.cmb.zip
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 102 times
BTW, try adjusting Mod for a "chorus" effect - it's stereo too, so you get an extra wide effect when you add some modulation.

[EDIT: just saw Marco's post, which was posted while I was building my combi - can't have too many options!]
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

16 Mar 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
16 Mar 2018
I am working on a ReFill with all kinds of retro effects. Here's the ADT patch I am working on:
ADT Machine.cmb.zip
Hey Marco, (realizing this is probably a WIP) I don't hear any tape effect - don't hear any dry signal either - is this intended to be a send only device? Also, is it intended to duplicate the Beatles ADT effect - if so the delay should be longer (sounds more like flanging as it is - maybe that's your intended effect?).
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

16 Mar 2018

selig wrote:
16 Mar 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
16 Mar 2018
ADT Machine.cmb.zip
Hey Marco, (realizing this is probably a WIP) I don't hear any tape effect - don't hear any dry signal either - is this intended to be a send only device? Also, is it intended to duplicate the Beatles ADT effect - if so the delay should be longer (sounds more like flanging as it is - maybe that's your intended effect?).
You can use it as send but also as insert. Simply try acoustic guitar and apply this as insert to it. Subtle modulation.

selig
RE Developer

16 Mar 2018

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
16 Mar 2018
selig wrote:
16 Mar 2018

You can use it as send but also as insert. Simply try acoustic guitar and apply this as insert to it. Subtle modulation.
Understood, and it sounds lovely as a modulation effect - but the name ADT implies both doubling and a tape effect, or am I missing something else here?
Selig Audio, LLC

Marco Raaphorst

16 Mar 2018

selig wrote:
16 Mar 2018
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
16 Mar 2018

Understood, and it sounds lovely as a modulation effect - but the name ADT implies both doubling and a tape effect, or am I missing something else here?
Yeah probably needs a different name.

krancek

16 Mar 2018

A BIG thank you, Marco and Selig, you guys are really amazing. Tried both combinators ( really quick, but I cant wait to dig them ) and I do like both versions. If these combinators were rack extension format, I am shure they"d be top sellers :).
However, I really like these kind of effect for vocal, inspired not only by The Beatles, but also by Electric Light Orchestra and many others, it just kind of touch my soul. I also like "Kong Lennon tape" patch from Marcos Rockmen combinators for vocals. I do have Haas mixer RE, but it just colored vocals in unpleasant way too much ( it is more useful for guitars ). Again, thank you very much for help.

Marco Raaphorst

16 Mar 2018

krancek wrote:
16 Mar 2018
A BIG thank you, Marco and Selig, you guys are really amazing. Tried both combinators ( really quick, but I cant wait to dig them ) and I do like both versions. If these combinators were rack extension format, I am shure they"d be top sellers :).
However, I really like these kind of effect for vocal, inspired not only by The Beatles, but also by Electric Light Orchestra and many others, it just kind of touch my soul. I also like "Kong Lennon tape" patch from Marcos Rockmen combinators for vocals. I do have Haas mixer RE, but it just colored vocals in unpleasant way too much ( it is more useful for guitars ). Again, thank you very much for help.
thanks!

I love these old type effects. Tchad Blake has been using a very thick and warm sounding slap back echo which I totally love as well. I love slap back often more than reverb. it really adds depth to a sound.

• Information