Wow so Props beat NI to the punch. But NI seems to have done it better.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
QVprod

19 Jan 2015

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/pr ... -acoustic/

This one seems a bit more versatile that the the Acoustic Guitarist RE. thoughts?

eusti

19 Jan 2015

I'd agree. This sounds way better and more alive...

D.

b.east out the box

19 Jan 2015

I don't know. But thats a hell of a demo though...

Wook

19 Jan 2015

Well, vast majority of NI stuff is top notch. If i had the will and a reason to, I'd be all over their stuff. I've been eyeing Maschine for too long now but really don't feel like investing into stuff that i'll use only for a hobby/no return on investment. I've done plenty of that before. Like dating.  :thumbup:

On the versatility part, i guess that gui plays a big role. Vst's don't have to fit into small rack window so they can use the space as they want. Always wondered how much do they outsource. I doubt they program all their stuff.

Also, NI already had those type of instruments, no? Funk guitarist for example. It's been a while since Propellerheads made anything worth copying.

QVprod

19 Jan 2015

Wook wrote:Well, vast majority of NI stuff is top notch. If i had the will and a reason to, I'd be all over their stuff. I've been eyeing Maschine for too long now but really don't feel like investing into stuff that i'll use only for a hobby/no return on investment. I've done plenty of that before. Like dating.  :thumbup:

On the versatility part, i guess that gui plays a big role. Vst's don't have to fit into small rack window so they can use the space as they want. Always wondered how much do they outsource. I doubt they program all their stuff.

Also, NI already had those type of instruments, no? Funk guitarist for example. It's been a while since Propellerheads made anything worth copying.
Lol on the dating comment. Yeah NI does outsource especially for Kontakt I think most libraries are. A good amount are made by Scarbee and this one they did a whole developer write up for.

I'm more surprised NI didn't make this sooner considering they made funk guitarist. I don't believe they got the idea from Props, but it puts in perspective why I haven't bought many RE. The quality is stunning as always.

Wook

19 Jan 2015

QVprod wrote:Lol on the dating comment. Yeah NI does outsource especially for Kontakt I think most libraries are. A good amount are made by Scarbee and this one they did a whole developer write up for. I'm more surprised NI didn't make this sooner considering they made funk guitarist. I don't believe they got the idea from Props, but it puts in perspective why I haven't bought many RE. The quality is stunning as always.
I know what you mean.

Scarbee has great libraries. Those EP's are nice. I wish Jamal would convert his keys to IDT. I contacted him and he did have an insight into it. It seems like a big fat no.

QVprod

19 Jan 2015

Wook wrote: I know what you mean.

Scarbee has great libraries. Those EP's are nice. I wish Jamal would convert his keys to IDT. I contacted him and he did have an insight into it. It seems like a big fat no.

I actually alerted him to it on FB when it was first announced. He seemed excited at first, I guess the rumor about the Prop's cut being more that 30% might be true, which would be a turn off to any established developer outside of Reason. - which would probably also explain why no well knowns are developing for it.

Wook

19 Jan 2015

QVprod wrote:I actually alerted him to it on FB when it was first announced. He seemed excited at first, I guess the rumor about the Prop's cut being more that 30% might be true, which would be a turn off to any established developer outside of Reason. - which would probably also explain why no well knowns are developing for it.
Well, I'd probably do the same. Let's be realistic, if you were a heavy hitter with your libs, i doubt you would allow to be conditioned by a company that's becoming more and more marginal in the field.

QVprod

19 Jan 2015

hopefully Props will get it together. Despite their announcement 2014 was not their best year

Wook

19 Jan 2015

QVprod wrote:hopefully Props will get it together. Despite their announcement 2014 was not their best year
It might be financially but they are pissing people off. That bites back after a while.

Blah, i don't even know why i stress myself over this. :D

All the best to you QV. You were always a well balanced poster on old PUF. I'm new and mostly lurk.

QVprod

20 Jan 2015

QVprod wrote:hopefully Props will get it together. Despite their announcement 2014 was not their best year
Wook wrote: It might be financially but they are pissing people off. That bites back after a while.

Blah, i don't even know why i stress myself over this. :D

All the best to you QV. You were always a well balanced poster on old PUF. I'm new and mostly lurk.
All the best to you too. Things seem to be settling nicely here, after while I might forget about PUF altogether.

QVprod

20 Jan 2015

Smedberg wrote:It is not rare with strumming libraries for Kontakt. Props strummer was not the first...
For clarification, I never believed Props were innovative with those RE. Well known knowledge that the IDT is essentially Kontakt player repackaged for Reason. I did find it odd though that Props made one before NI made their own for acoustic guitar.

Edit: Main difference between the links you posted and the new NI guitar would be it working for the Kontakt Player

Smedberg

20 Jan 2015

Smedberg wrote:It is not rare with strumming libraries for Kontakt. Props strummer was not the first...
QVprod wrote:
For clarification, I never believed Props were innovative with those RE. Well known knowledge that the IDT is essentially Kontakt player repackaged for Reason. I did find it odd though that Props made one before NI made their own for acoustic guitar.
Ah, yes. Between those two Props were first.

Flandersh

20 Jan 2015

QVprod wrote:I did find it odd though that Props made one before NI made their own for acoustic guitar.
NI release it in an already available VST market for such kind of plugins, and therefore it wouldn't anything to say if the released it pre or post Props, since the Props not really is a competitor in this regard. VST's like AAS Strum Acoustic GS-1, MusicLab RealGuitar in addition to all the sample libraries out there already has a market position that NI must break through with its new plugin. So rather than being innovative I think NI care to supply their own base products with content so as to satisfy their end users. If innovation was the thing, then Steinberg and Wizoo laid a foundation years ago hard to beat with their Virtual Guitarist.

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Maybe I am alone but I find A list supremely playable and sounding good in the actual mix.

The thing is, you are by no means limited to the on board patterns.

1) You can keyswitch patterns on the fly

2) You can change strike/quantise points in the key roll and literally make your own patterns.

it's designed for one thing, strummed chord sequences, and to me it does the job. For $69 on the sale i take that as a bargain. Just my 2c.

QVprod

20 Jan 2015

Flandersh wrote:
NI release it in an already available VST market for such kind of plugins, and therefore it wouldn't anything to say if the released it pre or post Props, since the Props not really is a competitor in this regard. VST's like AAS Strum Acoustic GS-1MusicLab RealGuitar in addition to all the sample libraries out there already has a market position that NI must break through with its new plugin. So rather than being innovative I think NI care to supply their own base products with content so as to satisfy their end users. If innovation was the thing, then Steinberg and Wizoo laid a foundation years ago hard to beat with their Virtual Guitarist.
I'm not really talking about innovation here. Rather more so the time gap after Funk Guitarist. I compare it to A-List because the 2 are similar in function where as Real Guitar and Stum Acousitic being a bit different in operation.
Bavanity wrote:Maybe I am alone but I find A list supremely playable and sounding good in the actual mix.

The thing is, you are by no means limited to the on board patterns.

1) You can keyswitch patterns on the fly

2) You can change strike/quantise points in the key roll and literally make your own patterns.

it's designed for one thing, strummed chord sequences, and to me it does the job. For $69 on the sale i take that as a bargain. Just my 2c.
I don't think A-List sounds bad at all. This one just sounds considerably better and despite being very similar, still manages to be more versatile.

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

@QVPro, the NI product is a different price bracket and DL size also though.. But now you have me too curious to check it out

QVprod

20 Jan 2015

Bavanity wrote:@QVPro, the NI product is a different price bracket and DL size also though.. But now you have me too curious to check it out
The file size is larger, but they're actually both the same price (both $99). Click the link in the op. It's worth a listen.

Gorilla Texas

20 Jan 2015

I thought you could only play chords with a-list from props.

QVprod

20 Jan 2015

Mr44Hz wrote:I thought you could only play chords with a-list from props.
Yes, This new NI one is no different in that regard.

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Bavanity wrote:@QVPro, the NI product is a different price bracket and DL size also though.. But now you have me too curious to check it out
QVprod wrote:
The file size is larger, but they're actually both the same price (both $99). Click the link in the op. It's worth a listen.
Ok it's 149 here.. weird!

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Mr44Hz wrote:I thought you could only play chords with a-list from props.
Correct, but IMO it does that really well.

heck, sure i would love to see Musiclab stuff, or say AAS physically modelled stuff in Reason.. who wouldn't? But for now we use what we have!

Between the A list and now the JP combo pack, chords and melodies are easily covered in Reason even by non guitar players such as myself IMO.

With A list i was able to take "fake patterns" i had made in some of my old..oooooold songs, using korg or yamaha hardware modules at the time with bad guitar sounds, and suddenly have a real guitar sounding chord sequence in them. 

For what they DO, they are good.

I am sure more stuff will come, with scripting, etc.. If no one takes up the IDT, props will do their own, they will kind of have to IMO.

Lizard

20 Jan 2015

NI's Session Guitarist sounds great by the demo.  As with most products I have to look at that cautiously.  All efforts are put into making demo's sound great to sell a product.  Propellerheads being no different.  In the text below the demo it quite clearly says that arpeggiated and slide guitars are recorded live.   Basically... everything interesting about the demo.  :D   The live recordings may be the same guy with the same guitar recording that stuff too.  The playability would be a big factor for me between the two products.  I'd chose playing over programming if given the option.  I'd love to hear feedback on those that have used/demoed it.

QVprod

20 Jan 2015

Lizard wrote:NI's Session Guitarist sounds great by the demo.  As with most products I have to look at that cautiously.  All efforts are put into making demo's sound great to sell a product.  Propellerheads being no different.  In the text below the demo it quite clearly says that arpeggiated and slide guitars are recorded live.   Basically... everything interesting about the demo.  :D   The live recordings may be the same guy with the same guitar recording that stuff too.  The playability would be a big factor for me between the two products.  I'd chose playing over programming if given the option.  I'd love to hear feedback on those that have used/demoed it.
Theres no playable demo for most Kontakt libraries (atleast the NI ones). However there are 11 different demo songs on the page. The text for the second demo reads completely differently. 
Notice the subtle inflections and accents littered throughout the acoustic guitar part – each pattern woven seamlessly together into one driving rhythm performance. Additional electric guitar recorded live.
Which means all of the acoustic parts on that particular song are from the software. As far as playability from reading the page it's very similar to the way A-list functions, main difference being that you can map strum styles/rhythms to keys manually, among other things. It goes more in depth in the Developer Feature part of  the page.

• Information