Nektar Panorama hw update?

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
waex

13 Mar 2018

Hi.
Does anyone have any insight if Nektar Panorama etc. are getting any hardware updates any time soon?
If I dont remember wrong, the current model (revisions) have been on the market few years now..
Been thinking of buying one, but keep thinking that I should wait for next version...

fieldframe
RE Developer

13 Mar 2018

The current Panorama series has been on the market since 2012. There were some occasions last year where the P4/P6 went out of stock at various retailers and people predicted an update was around the corner, but then they went back in stock and no updates materialized.

I bought a P4 last year despite the rumors. It's definitely dated compared to something like NI's new Komplete Kontrol series, but I'd still consider it the best keyboard for Reason. If Propellerhead adopts NKS that could change the equation, but for now, no one else has Nektar's deep level of Remote support.

You might also consider Nektar's Impact+ series, which was updated more recently. It's not as powerful without an LCD and the keybed isn't quite as advanced, but it still has great Remote support and is quite reasonably priced for what you get.

QVprod

14 Mar 2018

No real way of telling. Truth is even with smart controllers like the NI Komplete Kontrol and the Akai Advance, there isn't a single controller on the market than rivals the Panorama in DAW control. I suppose that fact probably keeps them from feeling pressured to release a new flagship. Though many of use would love a Panorama successor.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2018

Have you thought about getting a P1 and a LX? This seams like a good combination.

The downside for me is the LX does not have aftertouch. Also the LX does not have the motorised fader ( however I don't use and it has not been plugged in for at least 4 years.).

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Poly Madness
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

QVprod

14 Mar 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Mar 2018
Have you thought about getting a P1 and a LX? This seams like a good combination.

The downside for me is the LX does not have aftertouch. Also the LX does not have the motorised fader ( however I don't use and it has not been plugged in for at least 4 years.).
Out of curiosity, what would be the benefit? Provided a 49 key or 61 key Impact LX is purchased with the P1, The price difference is pretty minimal from buying a P4 or P6. Since Panorama can do everything the LX can, the controls would be pretty redundant. Pads maybe? Or did you mean a P1 with an Impact GX keyboard?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2018

QVprod wrote:
14 Mar 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Mar 2018

Out of curiosity, what would be the benefit? Provided a 49 key or 61 key Impact LX is purchased with the P1, The price difference is pretty minimal from buying a P4 or P6. Since Panorama can do everything the LX can, the controls would be pretty redundant. Pads maybe? Or did you mean a P1 with an Impact GX keyboard?
A lot of people have stated how much better the pads are are on the LX and that is the main reason.

Price, as you pointed out there is really not any difference however some people can't buy a P4 or P6 straight out, so buying one of the devices now and one when there is more money available is an option.

Flexibility, if both LX and P1 followed each other around I would agree a "little" bit about the redundancy however you could have the P1 set for xyz parameters while the LX is doing ABC.

I have a simple workaround that allow me play instruments on my P4 at the same time controlling player devices, with the LX and P1 this is even more straight forward.

But the downside is Aftertouch and no motorised fader.

PoohBear

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recent Music made with Reason
(Electronic) Poly Madness
(Electronic) Solar Dance
(Electronic) Into The Night
(Upbeat) The Players Took Me There Made in Reason 9 with heavy use of the players
(Electronic) 5 Steps (Video added) Updated
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

QVprod

14 Mar 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Mar 2018
QVprod wrote:
14 Mar 2018

A lot of people have stated how much better the pads are are on the LX and that is the main reason.

Price, as you pointed out there is really not any difference however some people can't buy a P4 or P6 straight out, so buying one of the devices now and one when there is more money available is an option.

Flexibility, if both LX and P1 followed each other around I would agree a "little" bit about the redundancy however you could have the P1 set for xyz parameters while the LX is doing ABC.

I have a simple workaround that allow me play instruments on my P4 at the same time controlling player devices, with the LX and P1 this is even more straight forward.

Ah ok. I didn't buy my P6 straight out but I suppose not everyone in the world has the benefit of a store like Sweetwater, so that would be one way of breaking it up. I figured pads would be a major reason, and if you prefer 2 separate device control in Reason (I rarely have use for it in a studio situation) as well as if you prefer the synth action over the Panorama's semi-weighted action.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

14 Mar 2018

QVprod wrote:
14 Mar 2018
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
14 Mar 2018

Ah ok. I didn't buy my P6 straight out but I suppose not everyone in the world has the benefit of a store like Sweetwater, so that would be one way of breaking it up. I figured pads would be a major reason, and if you prefer 2 separate device control in Reason (I rarely have use for it in a studio situation) as well as if you prefer the synth action over the Panorama's semi-weighted action.
I suppose another plus point for the LX is it's range (25, 49, 61 and 88 (this being semi-weighted but of course larger))...

Not that I'm willing to give up my P4 just yet for that combination :)
Last edited by Carly(Poohbear) on 15 Mar 2018, edited 1 time in total.

amcjen

15 Mar 2018

I own a P4 and bought a P1 because I have an early P4 with the not-so-great keybed/yellowing keys, and quite frankly wanted a fully-weighted 88 key, so now I have the best of both worlds.

The Nektar stuff is just grand in regards to integration in my opinion.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

15 Mar 2018

amcjen wrote:
15 Mar 2018
I own a P4 and bought a P1 because I have an early P4 with the not-so-great keybed/yellowing keys, and quite frankly wanted a fully-weighted 88 key, so now I have the best of both worlds.

I know that they have sorted some people out with the yellowing of the keys, you could ask them.

wendylou

15 Mar 2018

Nektar has updated the Panorama key beds and they do offer a replacement for anyone with the older, yellowing keys. I replaced mine and can report the new key bed is also easier to play, no longer stiff and clunky.
:puf_smile: http://www.galxygirl.com -- :reason: user since 2002

amcjen

20 Mar 2018

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
amcjen wrote:
15 Mar 2018

I know that they have sorted some people out with the yellowing of the keys, you could ask them.
I may. Truth be told, it’s not the yellowing of keys that bugs me as much as the feel of the keybed. It just feels cheap and noisy to me when I play it (but I love the control of Reason, thus the P1 purchase.)

Also, I will say that a few years ago I dropped my P4 and the screen broke. I emailed their support and they sent out a replacement screen for me at no cost. Their support at the time was stellar, and likely still awesome today.

amcjen

20 Mar 2018

wendylou wrote:Nektar has updated the Panorama key beds and they do offer a replacement for anyone with the older, yellowing keys. I replaced mine and can report the new key bed is also easier to play, no longer stiff and clunky.
Ooh! I just saw this after posting my last response. Ok, will reach out to them to see about a replacement. Thank you both!

EdGrip

20 Mar 2018

Honestly I would probably have bought a Panorama by now if it wasn't old and so probably due an update (it seems to be at least 6 years old.)
I know it's silly because keys is keys and encoders is encoders - but I bet that screen-wise, possibilities have come a long way in half a decade. That, and I'd get a 61-key and I don't really have anywhere to put it.

• Information