Reason needs to DAW

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
Psuper

31 Dec 2017

Props develop the back-end, SDK, performance, options, GUI. No one else can.
RE devs develop the now-expanding playground.
We choose the rides.
If Props insists on making devices, put them in the RE shop.

All problems solved.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Gorgon

27 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
31 Dec 2017
We choose the rides.

All problems solved.
Exactly.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

antic604

27 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
31 Dec 2017
We choose the rides.

All problems solved.
Can't disagree with that.

+ they should open a public forum with feature requests (submitted by users, moderated by Props) for users to vote on, so that they knew exactly where to put their efforts

normen

27 Feb 2018

Thing is - and note I'm not saying this proposal isn't valid - you kind of damn the Props developers to do boring programming work. This can drain out the enthusiasm about your own software quickly and the result suffers.

I mean this is the guy who programmed the Nord Lead ffs, he SHOULD program devices, devices was what Reason was about.

Sure, you could say "let somebody else do that and Pelle does instruments" but then you have programmers sitting with a payment and somebody elses software to fix and enhance. Also not exactly a recipe for getting the programmers "in the zone" and make awesome software.

antic604

27 Feb 2018

normen wrote:
27 Feb 2018
Sure, you could say "let somebody else do that and Pelle does instruments" but then you have programmers sitting with a payment and somebody elses software to fix and enhance. Also not exactly a recipe for getting the programmers "in the zone" and make awesome software.
Come on, there's many (most, actually) people who do their job 9 to 5 to just earn the money and be off to do their own things in life. Put few of those on those "boring" DAW features, assign someone higher up to oversee them and let the rest of the dev team do devices and SDK.

Having a commercial software product developed only by visionaries and hobbyists is a recipe for business failure.

normen

27 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Feb 2018
normen wrote:
27 Feb 2018
Come on, there's many (most, actually) people who do their job 9 to 5 to just earn the money and be off to do their own things in life. Put few of those on those "boring" DAW features, assign someone higher up to oversee them and let the rest of the dev team do devices and SDK.

Having a commercial software product developed only by visionaries and hobbyists is a recipe for business failure.
Yeah, theres many ways to see it, I like it better when something as personal as the software you use to make music is created by people with a personal attachment to it. I also think many people over-estimate the size of the Props "dev team" :)

Oquasec

27 Feb 2018

Reason is more like a plugin suite.
It's like a huuuuuuge plugin suite that just happens to also be a standalone vst.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Psuper

27 Feb 2018

they should open a public forum with feature requests (submitted by users, moderated by Props) for users to vote on, so that they knew exactly where to put their efforts
There used to be a huge list floating around of things Reason needs (I had it saved at one point, can't find it though). Much was basic stuff seen in most DAWs, some was more advanced, and some was specific to Reason. I'm kinda salty though, I used to go nuts trying to help Propellerhead, from mockup UIs, devices, etc, some idea were wildfire in their old forums, but props never did anything then they destroyed all the forum data, so I stopped wasting my time.

Regardless, I'll see if I can find it somewhere, was a laundry list of stuff. Maybe a thread could be posted where we add what we'd like to see similar/inaddition to what antic suggested. Feature requests forum is great, but they're all over the place - feel like there should be one thread with an updated OP when requests are replied.
I also think many people over-estimate the size of the Props "dev team"
I have my own suspicions, however dev team size isn't one of them :shh:

QVprod

27 Feb 2018

antic604 wrote:
27 Feb 2018
+ they should open a public forum with feature requests (submitted by users, moderated by Props) for users to vote on, so that they knew exactly where to put their efforts
That existed when they had their own forum. IMHO they payed about as much attention to that one as they pay to ours. That could be a little or a lot, but it didn't guarantee features. VST support was the number one request.
Psuper wrote:
27 Feb 2018

There used to be a huge list floating around of things Reason needs (I had it saved at one point, can't find it though).
You're referring to Death by a Thousand Cuts. That was a thread salvaged from the PUF and brought here. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7264556&hilit=death+by+a+thousand

Psuper

27 Feb 2018

QVprod wrote:
27 Feb 2018
antic604 wrote:
27 Feb 2018
That existed when they had their own forum. IMHO they payed about as much attention to that one as they pay to ours. That could be a little or a lot, but it didn't guarantee features. VST support was the number one request.
Psuper wrote:
27 Feb 2018

There used to be a huge list floating around of things Reason needs (I had it saved at one point, can't find it though).
You're referring to Death by a Thousand Cuts. That was a thread salvaged from the PUF and brought here. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7264556&hilit=death+by+a+thousand
Oh ya that's the one! Maybe some motivated Reasontalker could go through those and see what can be crossed off the list, then we can start adding to it!

• Information