Computer Component Rising Prices

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
stfual

12 Feb 2018

How do you feel about the Asrock motherboard? Reliable and configurable? Driver support? Can you turn everything you don't need off? They seem to be on the rise as a vendor but other than one disastrous build with Gigabyte I've always used Asus in the past.

The latest versions of reason and windows 10 creator seems to have introduced random stuttering and USB up/down problems into my elderly 2600K Z68 based system. I suspect it's the drivers for old hardware not being updated. I've been seriously considering an 8700K and Z370 build this week. I am a bit concerned that Z370 is an interim fudge against AMD and won't support new CPUs or Windows updates long term.

My current problem with motherboard vendors is I want a high spec professional expandable motherboard but ideally without disco RGB lighting, carbon fins, spoilers, and gamer marketing crap all of which do nothing for heat, reliability and electrical noise reduction.

Psuper

12 Feb 2018

I've built with just about every well-known MB manufacturer over the last 25 years or so, both intel and amd chipsets, but always gravitated towards one or another for my personal builds. Over the last 4 years I found Asrock to be the most reliable, stable, compatible, and solid performing of all of them. Prior that for a long run of years it was Asus. Odd because Asrock used to be baby Asus, however they've surpassed them in my estimation, and I will continue to build with Asrock unless they start to diminish in quality like Asus did.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Gorgon

13 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
12 Feb 2018
I've built with just about every well-known MB manufacturer over the last 25 years or so, both intel and amd chipsets, but always gravitated towards one or another for my personal builds. Over the last 4 years I found Asrock to be the most reliable, stable, compatible, and solid performing of all of them. Prior that for a long run of years it was Asus. Odd because Asrock used to be baby Asus, however they've surpassed them in my estimation, and I will continue to build with Asrock unless they start to diminish in quality like Asus did.
How so?
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

Psuper

13 Feb 2018

Gorgon wrote:
13 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
12 Feb 2018
How so?
About what Gorgon? If you mean my comment about Asus diminishing, they became less reliable, especially with compatibility. They don't like the cold, seriously theres always been an issue for some reason with Asus MBs and cold. Even memory - you must run a solid memory tester initially like memtest, aside from the typical verifying qvl stuff. They have long-term issues, I had 2 systems fail after a couple years which is frankly unheard of for Asus, and aftet the 2nd was RMAd I never built another since going with Asrock - can handle everything you throw at them and haven't failed.

EnochLight

13 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
13 Feb 2018
About what Gorgon? If you mean my comment about Asus diminishing, they became less reliable, especially with compatibility. They don't like the cold, seriously theres always been an issue for some reason with Asus MBs and cold. Even memory - you must run a solid memory tester initially like memtest, aside from the typical verifying qvl stuff. They have long-term issues, I had 2 systems fail after a couple years which is frankly unheard of for Asus, and aftet the 2nd was RMAd I never built another since going with Asrock - can handle everything you throw at them and haven't failed.
Weird. I'm running 2 Asus motherboards right now. Run has been running 24/7 for 6 years without issue. The other is about 2 years old and is used a few days a week. Prior to that, I've had a variety of motherboards, but mostly Asus. I think I've had 1 Asus board fail on me in 15 years. Obviously, YMMV.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Psuper

13 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
13 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
13 Feb 2018
Weird. I'm running 2 Asus motherboards right now. Run has been running 24/7 for 6 years without issue. The other is about 2 years old and is used a few days a week. Prior to that, I've had a variety of motherboards, but mostly Asus. I think I've had 1 Asus board fail on me in 15 years. Obviously, YMMV.
Yep I ran Asus boards for about 10 years for clients and myself before switching to Asrock. I no longer build for others however I still have 2 Asus running here as well. Just clarified to him why I switched to Asrock.

kitekrazy

13 Feb 2018

stfual wrote:
12 Feb 2018
How do you feel about the Asrock motherboard? Reliable and configurable? Driver support? Can you turn everything you don't need off? They seem to be on the rise as a vendor but other than one disastrous build with Gigabyte I've always used Asus in the past.

The latest versions of reason and windows 10 creator seems to have introduced random stuttering and USB up/down problems into my elderly 2600K Z68 based system. I suspect it's the drivers for old hardware not being updated. I've been seriously considering an 8700K and Z370 build this week. I am a bit concerned that Z370 is an interim fudge against AMD and won't support new CPUs or Windows updates long term.

My current problem with motherboard vendors is I want a high spec professional expandable motherboard but ideally without disco RGB lighting, carbon fins, spoilers, and gamer marketing crap all of which do nothing for heat, reliability and electrical noise reduction.
All the systems I've built I never forked out major money on boards. An Asus or Asrock board under $150 will last as long as a $300 board. I've never had issues with Gigabyte, Asus and Asrock.

4filegate

14 Feb 2018

stfual wrote:
12 Feb 2018
The "green vintage" - motherboard and the blue/white design? You can find it on some workstation WS Xeon motherboards.

miscend

14 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
01 Feb 2018
syncanonymous wrote:
31 Jan 2018
(ugh, I know...spent all that coin and didn’t buy a dvd drive...I gonna remedy that)
DVD drive? This isn’t 2002 - pick up a Blu-Ray drive instead - they’re super cheap!
Is there any software that actually ships on Blu-ray? I think physical media is going the way of the Dodo. And most games consoles can play Blu-ray movies.

EnochLight

14 Feb 2018

miscend wrote:
14 Feb 2018
EnochLight wrote:
01 Feb 2018

DVD drive? This isn’t 2002 - pick up a Blu-Ray drive instead - they’re super cheap!
Is there any software that actually ships on Blu-ray? I think physical media is going the way of the Dodo. And most games consoles can play Blu-ray movies.
Not the cheap drives, but there’s a plethora of free - legal - choices on the web. I primarily use my Blu-ray drive with MakeMKV to archive my discs onto my Plex server.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Psuper

14 Feb 2018

Man there's no better option for loading a new OS than Rufus and a stick. Don't even think about optical media, grab your OS, grab Rufus, and never look back. Does em all.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

EnochLight

14 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Man there's no better option for loading a new OS than Rufus and a stick. Don't even think about optical media, grab your OS, grab Rufus, and never look back. Does em all.

Is this even needed still? You can create a bootable Windows 10 installation from within Windows using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.

Psuper

14 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
14 Feb 2018

Is this even needed still? You can create a bootable Windows 10 installation from within Windows using the Microsoft Media Creation Tool.
Rufus is the only app you need or want and works for every os out there. Try both, I hate MS's tool.

EnochLight

14 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
14 Feb 2018
Rufus is the only app you need or want and works for every os out there. Try both, I hate MS's tool.
I don't use any other OS other than Windows 10, but will give it a spin. Thanks

syncanonymous

15 Feb 2018

EnochLight wrote:
01 Feb 2018
Oquasec wrote:
01 Feb 2018
Yep. other areas are selling stuff higher than the actual manufacturer website these days cuz they can say it's all about convenience for pc parts.
Talking about region-free Blu-Ray players, it might be more regional licensing BS. I can pick up a region-free Blu-Ray player on Amazon, shipped in 2 days to my doorstep, for just $179 USD (which is about 143 Euro).

If that same deck is going for 1000 Euros in France, there's definitely some shady stuff going on!
Hmm, nope...I don't think multi region is inexpensively available in France :-/

I is going to the UK Mar-May and will pick one up then
RSN 10.4d4_9878_RME UFX+_Intel Core i7-8700K 3.7 GHz__Corsair Vengeance 64GB DDR4-3000
ASRock Fatal1ty Z370__Palit GeForce GTX 1050 Ti KalmX__Samsung 960 PRO/ M.2-2280 NVME SSD
:reason: :re: :recycle: :PUF_figure: :rebirth: :refill:

syncanonymous

15 Feb 2018

stfual wrote:
12 Feb 2018

I am a newbie to PC building. The last desktop tower I operated was a Gateway 2000 233MHz PII.

When I did my research, a lot of forums and buyer reviews complained about ASUS lack of documentation and requirement for experienced builder's trading tools. I read many reviews of ASUS mobo being delivered DOA. I was originally specing for Xeon and had decided upon ASRock back then.

The Fatal1ty BIOS is very extensive...I have nothing but laptop OEMs to compare the ASRock BIOS to any competition.

As far as looks go, I was afraid this mobo would be a red painted olympics billboard...In fact there is a single, fine red painted line... The rest is black and grey... Don't let the red box fool you... You can disable all the onboard RGB...I wasn't gonna have any lighting either... Until I messed around with it... so I succumbed.

So far, I love it...I am going to get into OC I the coming year...

syncanonymous

15 Feb 2018

miscend wrote:
14 Feb 2018
EnochLight wrote:
01 Feb 2018

Well, so much is downloads in our "modern" world... And my internet speed is 1.6 mbps at its very fastest
Steam is not an option

My PS2 will not play blu-ray ;-P

• Information