POLL: Rent-A-Rack .. Have You Subscribed?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Have you tried out the RE Subscription model?

1 - No
89%
2 - Yes. Tried one month
4%
3 - Yes. Every month ongoing
8%

Total votes: 131
stratatonic

10 Feb 2018

So, I am currently seeing a couple of Propellerhead ads for their RE subscription, and I am wondering if anyone here has taken advantage of the rental of REs?

Psuper

10 Feb 2018

~~~ Moderator edit ~~~ This was reported by a user. Please try to stay on topic. This thread is about subscriptions, your first 2 paragraphs don't address the topic at all. Thanks ~~~

Beating a dead horse here, however the main problem Propellerhead has is their lack of ability to take overwhelming customer suggestions seriously, if at all.

The biggest issue now however is we only see a handful of people attempting to help Propellerhead in a meaningful way. This due to giving up trying, having moved on, thinking props knows better, or genuinely satisfied. Their active 'lets get involved' user base in forums pretty much are here in RT, and while posters come and go and lurkers abound as in any forum, theres simply not many of us at a time now where Propellerhead could really use bigger ears and more voices talking into them.

I don't find the subscription worth it, I feel it undercuts the RE devs at the end of the day and adds another layer of 'stuff' for props to manage that won't help their bottom line nor customer and developer satisfaction.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

MusicianX

10 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
10 Feb 2018
Beating a dead horse here, however the main problem Propellerhead has is their lack of ability to take overwhelming customer suggestions seriously, if at all.

The biggest issue now however is we only see a handful of people attempting to help Propellerhead in a meaningful way. This due to giving up trying, having moved on, thinking props knows better, or genuinely satisfied. Their active 'lets get involved' user base in forums pretty much are here in RT, and while posters come and go and lurkers abound as in any forum, theres simply not many of us at a time now where Propellerhead could really use bigger ears and more voices talking into them.

I don't find the subscription worth it, I feel it undercuts the RE devs at the end of the day and adds another layer of 'stuff' for props to manage that won't help their bottom line nor customer and developer satisfaction.
What do you mean by "Propellerhead could really use bigger ears and more voices talking into them"? I feel as tho props has more than enough ears Or feedback to improve reason. I wouldn't personally say they aren't taking feedback seriously, just not acting quick enough.

Psuper

10 Feb 2018

MusicianX wrote:
10 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
10 Feb 2018

What do you mean by "Propellerhead could really use bigger ears and more voices talking into them"? I feel as tho props has more than enough ears Or feedback to improve reason. I wouldn't personally say they aren't taking feedback seriously, just not acting quick enough.
You pretty much answered your question despite us having differing opinions on if Props are listening or taking feedback seriously. There's simply not enough of us still actively trying to help.

Just because Propellerheads say they're listening doesn't mean anything, in fact the timelines of their actions dispute their claims undeniably -- I base my statement on years of active observation and participation. It took 6+ years of hammering Props to add native Audio in, and 12+ to add vst functionality. They destroyed their forum, and have gone virtually silent unless it involves an RE dev. Actions are everything. You can't say 12+ years after the fact of demands that you're "listening", its as misleading and disingenuous as "R10 Biggest Update Ever".

esselfortium

10 Feb 2018

This is a thread asking whether or not we're using subscriptions. Does it really need to be derailed into the same off-topic argument as every other thread around here lately?

I'm not using subscriptions as I already own most of the rack extensions I want. Otherwise I would probably consider it, though I'd greatly prefer a rent-to-own arrangement.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

MusicianX

10 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
10 Feb 2018
MusicianX wrote:
10 Feb 2018

You pretty much answered your question despite us having differing opinions on if Props are listening or taking feedback seriously. There's simply not enough of us still actively trying to help.

Just because Propellerheads say they're listening doesn't mean anything, in fact the timelines of their actions dispute their claims undeniably -- I base my statement on years of active observation and participation. It took 6+ years of hammering Props to add native Audio in, and 12+ to add vst functionality. They destroyed their forum, and have gone virtually silent unless it involves an RE dev. Actions are everything.

You make some good points. Just out of curiosity do you own any other daws?

Psuper

10 Feb 2018

MusicianX wrote:
10 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
10 Feb 2018

Just because Propellerheads say they're listening doesn't mean anything, in fact the timelines of their actions dispute their claims undeniably -- I base my statement on years of active observation and participation. It took 6+ years of hammering Props to add native Audio in, and 12+ to add vst functionality. They destroyed their forum, and have gone virtually silent unless it involves an RE dev. Actions are everything.

You make some good points. Just out of curiosity do you own any other daws?
Reaper mainly. Retired both Cakewalk and Sonar. I tried S1 but it was too much like Reaper. Considering others, just sticking with Reason for now as I always have - despite its shortcomings I've made it work the way I need it to.

And there's no derailment Essel, you can certainly sing the praises of why subscriptions work as easily as I can say the reason subscriptions don't. Feel free.

MusicianX

10 Feb 2018

esselfortium wrote:
10 Feb 2018
This is a thread asking whether or not we're using subscriptions. Does it really need to be derailed into the same off-topic argument as every other thread around here lately?

I'm not using subscriptions as I already own most of the rack extensions I want. Otherwise I would probably consider it, though I'd greatly prefer a rent-to-own arrangement.
As for subscriptions I'm not using them either. I too would much rather have rent to own. For the record I wasn't arguing and I don't think psuper was either. Its just conversation.

Melody303

10 Feb 2018

I haven't, but I probably will at some point, mostly to re-trial some things.
I write acid music in Reason and perform live on a bunch of machines without computers.
Feel free to listen here: melodyklein.bandcamp.com/

GeorgeFeb

10 Feb 2018

What happened with Pulsar?

dpcoffin

10 Feb 2018

I'm totally behind the idea; sure, rent to own would be…interesting, but just renting alone suits me perfectly; I'd hate for it to be most costly with "to own" added. I tried one month, and then knew I wouldn't be having any time for a while for using reason, and dropped out. But I'll be back, no doubt at the $30 level; it's a wonderful deal, IMO. Plus I've bought a few REs on sale also in the same time period. Reason's never been my main DAW or synth source, even though I've owned it since ver 1, and now I can add it ALL to my tool mix, pretty much, whenever I want for $30?!? Sweet.

jayhosking

10 Feb 2018

esselfortium wrote:
10 Feb 2018

Psuper

10 Feb 2018

jayhosking wrote:
10 Feb 2018
esselfortium wrote:
10 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
10 Feb 2018

And there'sno derailment Essel jayhosking, you can certainly sing the praises of why subscriptions work as easily as I can say the reason subscriptions don't. Feel free.

Rason

11 Feb 2018

GeorgeFeb wrote:What happened with Pulsar?
Wha do you mean. It is now included in R10 as stock plugin. Synchronous, Audiomatic also

theshoemaker

11 Feb 2018

I like the idea of renting. But I'd prefer to change the devices more often if necessary. Last option missing is rent to buy, which would be the thing I'm doing, as I'm already putting money per month on the Reason-save-for-something-i-like account. But I just have to wait until the quota is reached.
:PUF_figure: latest :reason: V12 on MacOS Ventura

GeorgeFeb

11 Feb 2018

Rason wrote:
11 Feb 2018
GeorgeFeb wrote:What happened with Pulsar?
Wha do you mean. It is now included in R10 as stock plugin. Synchronous, Audiomatic also
Ok, good to know, I've just noticed that the Pulsar isn't in the RE's Shop anymore hence question!

Faastwalker

11 Feb 2018

I've little to zero interest in subscription models. But I'm surprised it's a big fat 'No' from 87% of voters. Currently it's only from 63 votes so it's hardly a conclusive sample of the way Reason users feel about this. As I said, not for me. But I thought there might have been more enthusiasm for this idea on RT. Are we not representative of the larger Reason user base?

Psuper

12 Feb 2018

Look like Props voted! Overnight we suddenly get 4 more "Yes. Every month ongoing".

theshoemaker

12 Feb 2018

Faastwalker wrote:
11 Feb 2018
I've little to zero interest in subscription models. But I'm surprised it's a big fat 'No' from 87% of voters. Currently it's only from 63 votes so it's hardly a conclusive sample of the way Reason users feel about this. As I said, not for me. But I thought there might have been more enthusiasm for this idea on RT. Are we not representative of the larger Reason user base?
Reasontalk is not representative for Reason users all over the world. I'd say we are a minority. I think the rental is very good for professional work and collaboration. Where you just want to finish or work on a project without buying all the REs.

Adabler
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2018

I've been subscribing to the A-list Guitar REs for a couple of months now and I am happy with that. Most likely, I'll end up buying at least two if them sometime this year, at which point I'll change my subscription to something I think I'll buy, but find too expensive outside a sale.
:reason: 12, Win10

Psuper

12 Feb 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
12 Feb 2018
Faastwalker wrote:
11 Feb 2018
Reasontalk is not representative for Reason users all over the world. I'd say we are a minority. I think the rental is very good for professional work and collaboration. Where you just want to finish or work on a project without buying all the REs.
Reasontalk is the only place for Reason users to chat these days -- so yes it certainly is. And frankly most people here give Props the benefit of the doubt. Now is every Reason user "all over the world" here? No. But this is the only active Reason user forum available, and you want "active users" in an active forum for garnering relevant information. Perhaps Propellerhead doesn't put any weight on it, they destroyed their own forums. But they certainly attempt to sway public opinion here in the shadows and occasionally up front when dealing with RE devs.

Besides, most users here are of a more mature and experienced nature and quite helpful. Anyone can post virtually any question and get damn near immediate qualified help. So for me I keep my opinions known but open for debate and can be swayed, as I feel many users here deserve the benefit of the doubt, even if I don't feel props do.

theshoemaker

12 Feb 2018

Psuper wrote:
12 Feb 2018
theshoemaker wrote:
12 Feb 2018

Reasontalk is the only place for Reason users to chat these days -- so yes it certainly is. And frankly most people here give Props the benefit of the doubt. Now is every Reason user "all over the world" here? No. But this is the only active Reason user forum available, and you want "active users" in an active forum for garnering relevant information. Perhaps Propellerhead doesn't put any weight on it, they destroyed their own forums. But they certainly attempt to sway public opinion here in the shadows and occasionally up front when dealing with RE devs.

Besides, most users here are of a more mature and experienced nature and quite helpful. Anyone can post virtually any question and get damn near immediate qualified help. So for me I keep my opinions known but open for debate and can be swayed, as I feel many users here deserve the benefit of the doubt, even if I don't feel props do.
This is one public feedback channel. They also have facebook, twitter and email.

I'm still not convinced reasontalk is representative for the reason user base.

Psuper

12 Feb 2018

theshoemaker wrote:
12 Feb 2018
Psuper wrote:
12 Feb 2018

This is one public feedback channel. They also have facebook, twitter and email.

I'm still not convinced reasontalk is representative for the reason user base.
Facebook and Twitter are marketing platforms, have you looked at them? Regardless, you can take the user activity from both and not even come close to the activity here. And sure they have email,everyone does.

For the record I'm not trying to convince you, I'm convinced and simply stating the obvious.

Goodbye

12 Feb 2018

Another staggering failure from Mattias and Propellerhead.

Solving the easy problems that don't need to be solved while ignoring the big ones which do.

hurricane
Competition Winner

12 Feb 2018

I don't think I will ever subscribe to software.

Based on the recent "updates" to Reason (adding VST support and then R10), I'd say the Props clearly don't think reasontalk members are representative of their user base. If you were, then they would have given you guys more modules to enhance your CV fuckery, more aggressive rack extension support, a Thor Mark II, and a super combinator.

So now this tells me that 1) Reason will go subscription eventually, and 2) Reason Mobile is on its way.

Basically everything you guys don't want, lol.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

• Information