Anybody else do the PH survey in email?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
EdGrip

28 Jan 2018

Could be a scam by some shady customers fishing for information on how to make a good DAW. It'll be called Cognition.

It will have ghost lanes.

Raveshaper

28 Jan 2018

I got this email and I replied as truthfully as I could given the limitations of the questions they presented.

I was also rather dry, clear, and clinical about my rationale for why I don't use Reason as often as I used to and why I plan to use it less and less over time.

Primarily I feel that my time is better invested in developing more skills in new software packages, particularly those that have much more verbose and precise information and a more sparse, organized UI with emphasis on standardized structures / best practices.

It is very clear to me that they do not have clear direction.
Why have a survey asking what the plan from here should look like if you are confident in your own plan.

The look and feel of Reason is the heart of its brand. Unfortunately, it is also entirely built around rigid elements that can't be future-proofed. The resource-expensive aesthetics somehow manage to only provide the simulation of real objects that would, if found in real life, provide more information in their visual feedback than they ultimately do in the rack. The utility of computer calculation is not realized to its fullest potential within the current paradigm of Reason's virtual environment, which is ironic. Even the premise of owning a collection of aged devices that people once had to utilize in the real world is becoming increasingly esoteric. Exacerbating this, the stock in-app experience nearly hasn't changed over the past twenty years in terms of the rack view. While this is treated as loyalty to a vision, the hard sell of it to new users is that it feels old and looks the same as time goes on. A lot can be said for innovations that appeal to your psychology using visuals that help you look at things in a new way and inspire you to create, and nobody enjoys being handed something that looks identical to a functional item they already own and being asked to pay for it again. All of this presents a crisis where in order to progress and evolve, Reason must change into something other than what has carried it this far. From a visual perspective, this is a dead brand.

Also, the very strengths of Reason are more or less its biggest weaknesses. How many ways do you really need to be able to do any particular thing. You can do those other things, but is having to think of which way to do something in the first place most efficient? For the sake of highlighting this conundrum, do you change things up every now and then or do you stick to your go-to method? More importantly, what use is there in packaging the alternatives if people use the most common go-to -- typically the most easily understood one? Furthering this narrative, how many new users have their brain melted by the explanation of how to patch or achieve some of the simplest features that aren't "built-in". It seems second nature to established users, but it often takes years of experimentation for them to be able to provide answers that ultimately don't make sense to the inquirer. That is a problem. This has to be paired down, or, to put it another way, made easier and more accessible for more people. The open-endedness we know today is obstructively complicated and actually fights progress toward accomplishing music. Going back to the idea that simulated collections of devices like these are becoming increasingly esoteric, having in-app CV is unique, but its inclusion is often overlooked and its implementation cripples the audio engine due to throttling biased toward giving priority to those signal types. Think of how many instruments or effects out in the competition that appear at first to have limited or spartan interfaces dressed in hype, but prove their worth after some quick patch adjustments by having put all their firepower in supplying what matters: an amazing, satisfying sound. (EDIT: This, I believe, is why many of the newer stock devices have no back panels.) From a performance and feature set perspective, this is a dead brand.

What this survey tells me more than anything else is that they know all of this and also that they must do something about it.

It specifically tells me that they know their product must change so that it does not alienate potential users as much as it currently does, and whatever direction that inevitably ends up being, right now they have no idea what that is.

It is difficult for me to invest in a product that is self-aware toward its increasing anachronism and does not know what its own future is.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

motuscott

28 Jan 2018

Damn Raveshaper, if only you had thought about this a little bit... :shock:
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

EnochLight

28 Jan 2018

Has anyone in this thread actually worked in market research before? There's really no need to panic. ;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

United South

28 Jan 2018

motuscott wrote:
28 Jan 2018
Damn Raveshaper, if only you had thought about this a little bit... :shock:
:lol: :lol:

kitekrazy

28 Jan 2018

Some of the questions didn't make sense and the format was odd. I couldn't get past one part and it kept telling to answer even though it was answered. If you ever are a failure at critical thinking and writing you can have a career in writing for surveys.

EnochLight

28 Jan 2018

It's likely there are very good reasons for the questions being asked. Also, it's common for surveys like these to make little sense to the people being asked.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EpiGenetik

28 Jan 2018

Raveshaper wrote:
28 Jan 2018
I... middle bit.... is.
Your logic is actually more applicable to every DAW other than Reason, and to a far greater extent.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

29 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
28 Jan 2018
It's likely there are very good reasons for the questions being asked. Also, it's common for surveys like these to make little sense to the people being asked.
I've not seen this survey, but I have seen some previous surveys, and most of my first badly paid jobs out of university were in market research... (Verdict Retail etc.)

As I've noted before, market research is mostly designed to try and confirm plans already made. There are two possible results:

1) The responses mostly chime with the plans, in which case the plans were brilliantly prescient, and they move forward as intended.

2) The responses are at largely at odds with plans, in which case, all those responses must be wrong, and plans move forward as originally intended.

There is actually a third possible result, that baffles me to this day and I while I forget the agency I was working for (literally my first full-time job after graduation), I remember the client: a conglomeration of disability charities. The newly-renamed Scope was one of them (this was around '97, UK was introducing some new anti-disability discrimination law):

3) The responses mostly chime with the views sought by the Client, but the Client doesn't actually believe anything about the result presented. The plans move forward as originally intended, but with a great deal of simmering anger and boiling resentment.

Obviously, NDA and stuff. But having read this the other day, I'm convinced Randall is an RE developer.

http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1945

EnochLight

29 Jan 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
29 Jan 2018

Obviously, NDA and stuff. But having read this the other day, I'm convinced Randall is an RE developer.
Wait.. Who is Randall?

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

29 Jan 2018

EnochLight wrote:
29 Jan 2018
JiggeryPokery wrote:
29 Jan 2018

Wait.. Who is Randall?
The writer of xkcd; it was a quality in-joke ;)

EnochLight

29 Jan 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
29 Jan 2018
EnochLight wrote:
29 Jan 2018

Wait.. Who is Randall?
The writer of xkcd; it was a quality in-joke ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Exowildebeest

29 Jan 2018

JiggeryPokery wrote:
29 Jan 2018
EnochLight wrote:
28 Jan 2018
There is actually a third possible result, that baffles me to this day and I while I forget the agency I was working for (literally my first full-time job after graduation), I remember the client: a conglomeration of disability charities. The newly-renamed Scope was one of them (this was around '97, UK was introducing some new anti-disability discrimination law):

3) The responses mostly chime with the views sought by the Client, but the Client doesn't actually believe anything about the result presented. The plans move forward as originally intended, but with a great deal of simmering anger and boiling resentment.

http://www.explainxkcd.com/wiki/index.php/1945
To be honest, I have no clue what you're trying to say here about either surveys or RE development or anything for that matter :D

And I love XKCD too.

ltbrunt00

29 Jan 2018

I got a survey about the subscription service stuff. I would like to see a rent to own feature.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Ixus

29 Jan 2018

I said I wanted a sequencer update and better audio editing!

motuscott

29 Jan 2018

Who likes pie?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

• Information