Scratch Disk Confusion

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Belltunes

24 Jan 2018

I've been using Reason since version one and have never had too many issues with it. It has always just worked for me. Since going to 9.5 and now version 10 I have been getting the computer too slow, save and optimize message a lot. I have been able to work with this, but it is frustrating. My main concern right now is that I am getting 'Scratch Disk not available' messages. The message indicates I can create a scratch disk in a folder of my choice. When I do this I get a message that says the folder I created is not available and indicates it will use the default folder.

I know this has been brought up before but I'm still not quite getting what the solution is. It is ok to go in and clear out any of the files in the SD folder? Could someone please enlighten me on all things scratch disk?

Thanks much for your time in advance!

https://www.glenholtmusic.com/

RandyEspoda

25 Jan 2018

My first thought is that reason does not have access to the folder you have picked. In other words, the folder permissions aren't correctly set for that folder.

You should make sure Reason has permission to access the folder you have chosen
(users: read/execute, system: modify&read/execute, administrators: full control)

demt

25 Jan 2018

Turn off security on SSD?
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

normen

25 Jan 2018

If its not an user issue it sounds like your disk is dying? Best run some disk check software.

Belltunes

27 Jan 2018

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm thinking maybe a permissions issue. My SSD is very new and I don't have any
other anomalies occurring, however point taken, probably worth doing a disk check.

Thanks again!

Belltunes

27 Jan 2018

Solved! It was a permissions issue. I can set the scratch disk folder as expected now. I downloaded the crystal disk mark software to see if I had any potential SSD issues and all benchmarks looked great.

33db

27 Jan 2018

Just tossing this out there as you didn't mention the OS, does your OS support TRIM?

Belltunes

28 Jan 2018

Windows 10 and Trim shows as enabled.

Marciomu

09 Jun 2020

I use mac, in my case it was enough to go in preferences after advanced settings.

In Scretch Disk Folder. (Reset) later (change) and I chose a new folder. reason managed to create the folder and everything was ok! there was no more error in the reason initiation.

• Information