New UI For reason

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
DonnieAlan

01 Nov 2017

lakinlakin wrote:
27 Sep 2017
Doesn't have to be new, but I think it would be an idea for there a small button on each device to make it partially undock or pop out in some way so that it is easier to see and edit.
+1,000

sdst
Competition Winner

01 Nov 2017

they Only need to put all the graphics jpg in a folder

and kids in deviantart would do the work for free

example

selig
RE Developer

01 Nov 2017

DonnieAlan wrote:
01 Nov 2017
lakinlakin wrote:
27 Sep 2017
Doesn't have to be new, but I think it would be an idea for there a small button on each device to make it partially undock or pop out in some way so that it is easier to see and edit.
+1,000
I wonder if it's better to remain consistent with how zooming is already done (in the sequencer)? I'd rather zoom the entire rack anyone than zoom devices one at a time - especially since many times you're working with more than one device at a time.

Plus, zooming each device individually would involve a lot of clicking the "little buttons" (or key commands) IMO: click to undock, click to zoom, click to re-dock - vs the current "drag zoom" like in the sequencer.
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

DonnieAlan

01 Nov 2017

selig wrote:
01 Nov 2017
DonnieAlan wrote:
01 Nov 2017

+1,000
I wonder if it's better to remain consistent with how zooming is already done (in the sequencer)? I'd rather zoom the entire rack anyone than zoom devices one at a time - especially since many times you're working with more than one device at a time.

Plus, zooming each device individually would involve a lot of clicking the "little buttons" (or key commands) IMO: click to undock, click to zoom, click to re-dock - vs the current "drag zoom" like in the sequencer.
I get that. However, there are many things both in the rack, and wthin various fx and VI's that are just TOO small to read easily. In Windows, you can use the magnifying glass, but that's a bit of a PITA to use. For those of us with less than stellar eyes, it would be useful!

selig
RE Developer

01 Nov 2017

DonnieAlan wrote:
selig wrote:
01 Nov 2017

I get that. However, there are many things both in the rack, and wthin various fx and VI's that are just TOO small to read easily. In Windows, you can use the magnifying glass, but that's a bit of a PITA to use. For those of us with less than stellar eyes, it would be useful!
Not sure we disagree - everything I said applies to what you’ve said above, if I’m not mistaken. Zooming the entire rack is even better than detaching and zooming single devices IMO - or are you suggesting something different?

Zooming should be system wide IMO, same technique in each window (including mixer) for consistency. It should also be something you can save as a default for your system if you like so you don’t have to do it each time you launch Reason or open a new (or old) song.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

lakinlakin

01 Nov 2017

selig wrote:
01 Nov 2017
DonnieAlan wrote:
01 Nov 2017

+1,000

I agree, extra little buttons may not be the right approach.

kuhliloach

01 Nov 2017

Reason strikes me as a program that for the most part is completely missing a user-interface (UI). It's practically a bunch of back-end functionality made accessible through a convoluted and extremely confusing UI. There is nothing friendly, educational, musical, or even remotely approachable from a new-user perspective -- and I'd say the same thing for most DAWs. Without the years of practice with Reason I'm not sure any sized manual would have mattered for me in the beginning - even ten thousand pages! That said, Reason is my main and only DAW, so when and if a proper user interface is created I will be more than ready for it.

Just to name a few: a browser that makes sense, an advanced sequencer, higher pixel resolution / zoom, user-friendliness throughout, built-in tutorials, video support, music notation, would all get things started.

AttenuationHz

01 Nov 2017

Funny if there was a zoom on the mixer I would probably zoom out to around 96% by default. Horizontally at least.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

kuhliloach

02 Nov 2017

Reason is ahead of its time by 17 years based on the modular frenzy going on.

Fusion

14 Nov 2017

I will happy if they just give us retina support for macs to solve the issues people are having . I have been waiting for over a year now.

Blast

14 Nov 2017

Reason looks like shit on my 4k monitor. TOO SMALL at 100% scaling and TOO BLURRY even at 150% scaling. I will not update to a new version of Reason until they fix UI SCALING.
Last edited by Blast on 14 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Fusion

14 Nov 2017

Blast wrote:
14 Nov 2017
Reason looks like shit on my 4k monitor. TOO SMALL at 100% scaling and TOO Fuzzy even at 150% scaling. I will not update to a new version of Reason until they fix UI SCALING.
I also wasted a lot of money buying a 4K monitor for reason , only to sell it a few months later when propellerhead didn’t seem interested in fixing the issue.

mark999

27 Nov 2017

Psuper wrote:
28 Oct 2017
There are plenty of ways to handle a scaling interface, it just has to be as transparent as possible. Reasons own navigation pane already scales on a small scale (navigation pane should be an optional removable in the next UI, takes up way too much space at minimum and rarely used).
Navigation pane can already be switched off. On Mac, in the top menu bar, go to options, then un-tick "show navigators"
I also agree that Reason needs an updated, hi-resolution scalable GUI as soon as possible. At the moment its super tiny, and super pixelated low-resolution.

mark999

27 Nov 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
30 Oct 2017
pushedbutton wrote:
29 Oct 2017
I think it would be nice to have a little animated sequence where you can pull a rack device forwards so that it fills the screen then push it back when you're done, a bit like using a sliding rack device or a drawer.

I do hope you're saying that for a joke, PB! UI animations just to get from one view to another serve only to make the UI or the system appear laggier than it really is. Pretty much the first thing I turn off when I have to install Windows is stupid stuff like sliding open menus. If I click for a menu (or a bigger rack device), I just want the menu (or bigger rack device), not some smart-arse little animated sequences that serve no purpose beyond the UI maker showing off how cool his anim8 skillz r, and making users wait for the UI to be responsive again. That nonsense should not be encouraged.
Yes animations are a novelty that wear off very quickly, then become downright annoying.
Apple's OSX and iOS are full of these... sliding, rotating, zooming, flipping, and all these nonsense animations that take up seconds and waste the user's time. Reason doesn't need any of this, we just need a responsive, high resolution and scalable interface thats all.

AttenuationHz

27 Nov 2017

mark999 wrote:
27 Nov 2017
Psuper wrote:
28 Oct 2017
There are plenty of ways to handle a scaling interface, it just has to be as transparent as possible. Reasons own navigation pane already scales on a small scale (navigation pane should be an optional removable in the next UI, takes up way too much space at minimum and rarely used).
Navigation pane can already be switched off. On Mac, in the top menu bar, go to options, then un-tick "show navigators"
I also agree that Reason needs an updated, hi-resolution scalable GUI as soon as possible. At the moment its super tiny, and super pixelated low-resolution.
On windows too...

Would a new scalable GUI make your sound any better? I tend to agree that its is overdue for better quality graphics. The good news is RE are ready for it!

You's are all thinking too small though Reason VR is where its going to be at! Gloriously vomit inducing... :D
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

scratchnsnifff

13 Dec 2017

So with that render photo of Europa and subtractor, would anyone know of where to find images of Thor and malstrom? I’d absolutely love to see the concept that people always talk about but with my two favorite Reason devices. I assume that is what people mean with the whole UI dispute. I’d love to see all 3D/scaleable devices, but for now I’m good as its only in my want catagory:p I would by no means complain if we did see a graphics update as long as everything sounds the same
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

antic604

16 Dec 2017

Could anyone post few screens (seq, rack & mixer) from a retina Mac?

I wonder if Reason looks the same across Windows and OSX, because I know e.g. Live 9 and earlier wasn't - it was sharp on the latter and blurry on the former.

Here's how it looks on SurfacePro 4, Windows 10. Right-click & open in new window to see them in full res:

wils

27 Dec 2017

I'm currently using Reason 10 on a tiny hp pavilion notebook. I can't imagine using any other DAW on such a small screen (with the added inconvenience of no "proper" keyboard, no mouse etc) but Reason makes it bearable.

YMMV but TBH you only have to add a VST plugin or two (thus making it a lot messier to look at, navigate etc ) to realise just how well they did with their current UI.

antic604

27 Dec 2017

wils wrote:
27 Dec 2017
I'm currently using Reason 10 on a tiny hp pavilion notebook. I can't imagine using any other DAW on such a small screen (with the added inconvenience of no "proper" keyboard, no mouse etc) but Reason makes it bearable.

YMMV but TBH you only have to add a VST plugin or two (thus making it a lot messier to look at, navigate etc ) to realise just how well they did with their current UI.
What's the screen size & resolution of your laptop? Also, pretty sure you've not tried Bitwig because it scales perfectly to any resolution and size and the UI is much more flexible than any DAW out there.

Gorgon

27 Dec 2017

antic604 wrote:
27 Dec 2017
What's the screen size & resolution of your laptop? Also, pretty sure you've not tried Bitwig because it scales perfectly to any resolution and size and the UI is much more flexible than any DAW out there.
Yeah that's pretty silly to say something like that and not mention the resolution. If it's 1366x768 it would probably be alright. But hey, that's a shit resolution nowadays.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

wils

27 Dec 2017

Gorgon wrote:
27 Dec 2017
antic604 wrote:
27 Dec 2017
Yeah that's pretty silly to say something like that and not mention the resolution. If it's 1366x768 it would probably be alright. But hey, that's a shit resolution nowadays.
Zzzz... Resolution is 1366 X 768.

I didn't mention resolution as I wasn't talking specifically about that - yes, I get that the resolution can be awful on normal sized monitors - but I was talking about the UI, and the *laptop* itself, as a holistic item. I guess I should have said "tiny laptop" instead of "tiny screen" as my comments were geared towards the whole thing.

My point is that the rack keeps everything in its rightful place. I haven't tried Bitwig, but I've tried (or experienced most others) and for the scenario I mentioned - working on one screen, no mouse etc, I find Reason much more convenient. Hence my comment about VST's - when you add them into the equation, it becomes just another DAW with effects and instruments and whatnot obscuring each other, and the uncluttered interface is no more.

dustiraw

27 Dec 2017

NO!!! I'm in love with the UI and is really a big part of why I enjoy working with reason so much. Not the only reason of course but producing in reason is "fun" IMO due to the interface. Changing it will cause a lot of upset I am sure.
Dusti Miraglia
Sound D-Sine Music
https://LearnSoundDSine.com
Dusti@LearnSoundDsine.com
Check out the blog I run over at https://unison.audio/blog/ for extensive In-depth production related lessons and tutorials!

etyrnal

13 Jan 2018

DiZo wrote:i Think its a 100% of users request NO ?

Propellerhead answer here... if you can !
I think the user interface should stay exactly how it is. The only change that should be made at all is giving reason the ability to scale the user interface for extremely high pixel density monitors so that people can actually see what they're working on. Other than that don't change a thing.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Lotus Jewel

13 Jan 2018

DiZo wrote:
27 Sep 2017
i Think its a 100% of users request NO ?

Propellerhead answer here... if you can !
please no... I love the way my reason rack looks and works. edit...

change what you like but leave 9.5 alone... lol :P looks great guys!

etyrnal

13 Jan 2018

Loque wrote:I dont need backdrops.
Yeah me neither. How many people do you know that go out and get stickers for the synthesizers and change them every time they make a new song? Make Music people. If you're desperate to play around and Fiddle with Graphics, there's a free Graphics editing program out there called gimp. It works really well. So then when you feel like doodling around with Graphics you can do that for free. And then when you feel like doodling around with music you can do that in reason.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

• Information