[Reason 10.0.1] Inconsistent auditioning of note transpose

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
antic604

08 Jan 2018

I have no idea whether this has always been the case (I'm using Reason since v10.0.0), but I've found an inconsistency in how piano roll works: when editing notes you can move them vertically (transpose) in two - at least - ways: dragging with a mouse or using Ctrl+Up/Down Arrows. I have the relevant Preferences setting enabled ("Trigger notes when editing" in General tab), but the sound is only heard when using mouse and not when using keyboard.

Can anyone replicate this?

Is this new (a bug) in v10, or has it always been like that and I should request a feature?

BTW, is there any graphical indication of "Follow Song" being enabled / disabled?

antic604

09 Jan 2018

No feedback?

Can't believe this doesn't bother anyone! Same like when playing notes (with MIDI controller or computer's keyboard) the piano keys on the piano roll don't light up to visualise which note(s) is / are being pressed... Are everyone recording what they play live? Are those things too 'trivial' for Props to address, because they really are low, loooooooow hanging fruits...

WongoTheSane

09 Jan 2018

Notes only trigger when moved with the mouse, it's always been like this. IMHO, if they triggered when moved with the keyboard, it would require an additional option to turn this off (I'm fine with the way it works now: I'm generally moving with the mouse when I don't know know where to go next, while I use the keyboard when I do know, for instance moving a chord up a third or something, in which case hearing each semitone in-between wouldn't help). You can still request a feature though.

You're right, there is no visual feedback on Follow Song (other than the fact that the window scrolls or doesn't).

And having the notes light up on the piano roll would be great, I agree!

antic604

09 Jan 2018

WongoTheSane wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Notes only trigger when moved with the mouse, it's always been like this. IMHO, if they triggered when moved with the keyboard, it would require an additional option to turn this off (I'm fine with the way it works now: I'm generally moving with the mouse when I don't know know where to go next, while I use the keyboard when I do know, for instance moving a chord up a third or something, in which case hearing each semitone in-between wouldn't help). You can still request a feature though.
Well, I'd say that's an awkward workflow that you've developed BECAUSE OF how it's implemented. Why would you use mouse if you don't know and keyboard, when you do? Why not the other way around? :)

Anyway, it's a fair point and the behaviour should be choosable (keyboard, mouse, both).

WongoTheSane

09 Jan 2018

antic604 wrote:
09 Jan 2018
WongoTheSane wrote:
09 Jan 2018
Well, I'd say that's an awkward workflow that you've developed BECAUSE OF how it's implemented. Why would you use mouse if you don't know and keyboard, when you do? Why not the other way around? :)

Anyway, it's a fair point and the behaviour should be choosable (keyboard, mouse, both).
Just in case it wasn't a rhetorical question: it makes sense to me to use the mouse to quickly jump to different values I know might sound good (3rd, 6th, 7th, b9...), where vision helps locate the various important lines on the roll, and hearing helps finding the "right" notes, while transposing is a matter of counting that can be done without watching or hearing. Same as Excel: I'll select with the mouse if I don't know how many cells I want ("I'll take from here... hmmm... to... here"), and with the keyboard if I do ("shift+right arrow-1-2--3-4-done"). I had never thought of that before you asked though :)

• Information