Bad ads!

List your suggestions here for the reasontalk.com website (not Reason feature requests)!
Forum rules
Keep in mind that this forum is for Reasontalk.com suggestions, and not for support on your Reason Studios software.
Loque

23 Dec 2017

On my mobile device i noticed some adds that hijack the website. Maybe you can do something against this?
Reason12, Win10

full-of-life

23 Dec 2017

Never seen this before. I've got Ad-blocker. Net Neutrality and how hackers start their afternoons.

Loque

23 Dec 2017

full-of-life wrote:
23 Dec 2017
Never seen this before. I've got Ad-blocker. Net Neutrality and how hackers start their afternoons.
My desktop is pretty safe, but i dont have an adblocker for my mobile device. Ads are a pretty high security risc. Since the last days 2 times on Reasontalk a ad hijacked the site, abd tried to install a "security update" and offered some money games...
Reason12, Win10

full-of-life

23 Dec 2017

Although the current trend is definitely towards wireless networks, mainly because they are often more convenient for users, wired networks can be superior when it comes to issues such as network security and faster upload/download speeds. The cat-and-mouse game between hackers and system administrators is still in full swing.

WongoTheSane

23 Dec 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Dec 2017
full-of-life wrote:
23 Dec 2017
My desktop is pretty safe, but i dont have an adblocker for my mobile device. Ads are a pretty high security risc. Since the last days 2 times on Reasontalk a ad hijacked the site, abd tried to install a "security update" and offered some money games...
I'm only browsing RT on desktop, but I only have "fair" ads (i.e. ones that just display an ad, don't force pop-ups, etc). What you're describing looks more like a browser hijack, you might want to check that with an anti-malware?

Loque

23 Dec 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
23 Dec 2017
Loque wrote:
23 Dec 2017

I'm only browsing RT on desktop, but I only have "fair" ads (i.e. ones that just display an ad, don't force pop-ups, etc). What you're describing looks more like a browser hijack, you might want to check that with an anti-malware?
Its happening only on RT and mobile Chrome. Its typical for "bad ads" trying to hijack or download some sh!t
I guess most other sites have clean ads or check them.
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

23 Dec 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Dec 2017
WongoTheSane wrote:
23 Dec 2017

Its happening only on RT and mobile Chrome. Its typical for "bad ads" trying to hijack or download some sh!t
I guess most other sites have clean ads or check them.
If it happens again, would you mind taking a screenshot and sending it to us or posting it here? It really shouldn't happen, the ads are heavily filtered and sent by Google AdSense, so it would help us investigate! Many thanks!

Loque

23 Dec 2017

I can try, but as soon as i entered RT the hijacking starts and i dont know which ad it was.
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

23 Dec 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Dec 2017
I can try, but as soon as i entered RT the hijacking starts and i dont know which ad it was.
Android or iPhone? If iPhone, I can try to reproduce on my end...

Loque

23 Dec 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
23 Dec 2017
Loque wrote:
23 Dec 2017
Android. Happened 2 times since yesterday. The last hours nothing.
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

23 Dec 2017

Loque wrote:
23 Dec 2017
WongoTheSane wrote:
23 Dec 2017

Android. Happened 2 times since yesterday. The last hours nothing.
Damn. If anybody else is seeing this, please chime in!

Zac

25 Dec 2017

Yes, its happened to me 3 times. I don't click on anything but suddenly a pop up occurs with no way of closing other than to click the 'leave site' option which results in a cascade of new pop ups. I have to 'close all apps' on my phone to get rid of them.

Pretty disconcerting.

WongoTheSane

25 Dec 2017

Zac wrote:
25 Dec 2017
Yes, its happened to me 3 times. I don't click on anything but suddenly a pop up occurs with no way of closing other than to click the 'leave site' option which results in a cascade of new pop ups. I have to 'close all apps' on my phone to get rid of them.

Pretty disconcerting.
Android too?

demt

25 Dec 2017

My adds are all ok just free plugins and loads of articles on digital music
And the latest in Google and windows
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

WongoTheSane

25 Dec 2017

demt wrote:
25 Dec 2017
My adds are all ok just free plugins and loads of articles on digital music
And the latest in Google and windows
Same here, but I've been doing some research and it appears that some users are affected by some ads under a specific set of circumstances. These ads heavily use redirects, which will be forbidden in Chrome starting from the next version that's being rolled out on Feb. 15th. In the meantime, I'd advise affected people to try an ad blocker (uBlock Origin is available on all platforms, and works better than adBlock). We'd rather loose a few cents than annoy you guys with unclosable tabs. I'd be interested to know if it solves the problem, so please report if you've tried this! Thanks!

Zac

25 Dec 2017

Yes I'm android too. It is fairly rare but will keep you informed regarding the update.

Loque

27 Dec 2017

This is where it took me right now...
Attachments
Screenshot_2017-12-27-09-28-37.png
Screenshot_2017-12-27-09-28-37.png (46.14 KiB) Viewed 6804 times
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

27 Dec 2017

Loque wrote:
27 Dec 2017
I'm on Chrome beta channel and I can confirm this URL gets closed (I mean, the tab) as soon as it opens. It's almost impossible to filter out on our end, as it stems from a legitimate ad category (in which only a very small proportion are spammy, and they only appear for a few users, depending on their interests). Blocking ads would be your best bet in the meantime, I'm afraid. You don't have one enabled on RT yet, right?

Loque

27 Dec 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
27 Dec 2017
Loque wrote:
27 Dec 2017
I'm on Chrome beta channel and I can confirm this URL gets closed (I mean, the tab) as soon as it opens. It's almost impossible to filter out on our end, as it stems from a legitimate ad category (in which only a very small proportion are spammy, and they only appear for a few users, depending on their interests). Blocking ads would be your best bet in the meantime, I'm afraid. You don't have one enabled on RT yet, right?
Is there a adblocker for chrome mobile version?
Reason12, Win10

WongoTheSane

27 Dec 2017

Loque wrote:
27 Dec 2017
WongoTheSane wrote:
27 Dec 2017

Is there a adblocker for chrome mobile version?
I incorrectly assumed uBlock Origin worked on mobile, as it's in the Chrome Web Store, but apparently it doesn't. It works with Firefox Android, though. Here is a list of alternatives for Chrome Android:

https://alternativeto.net/software/ublo ... rm=android

Bear in mind I can't vouch for any of those, as I don't have Android, so exert caution and read user's opinions!

Zac

17 Jan 2018

:( updated chrome today and things are worse. Can't get on rt without it tripping out to some virus accuser site that has no way out. It's messing my phone up big time. Lost all apps on my sd card after an unrequested reboot. I'm going to have to stay away if this isn't solved.

submonsterz

17 Jan 2018

Me too a couple of times now on this site chrome on android .....
Clicked on no add etc only has happened I've purged my browser went away came back purged gone not been back again so far fingers crossed

Loque

04 Feb 2018

I hope the chrome update would help, but except it is even slower it does not
Attachments
Screenshot_2018-02-04-15-33-04.png
Screenshot_2018-02-04-15-33-04.png (108.85 KiB) Viewed 6289 times
Reason12, Win10

Loque

05 Feb 2018

:( at first I saw something like "rgshark" in the URL, than I could win prizes for Amazon... Really anyoing. I hate those guys...
Reason12, Win10

chk071

07 Feb 2018

I know those ad issues from another forum. Only happens on the mobile forum website there as well. I don't know how exactly Google Adsense works, but, i could imagine that the risk of having such ad providers in the "package" will be bigger on smaller websites or forums, because the ad providers don't have to pay so much for the ads, hence it will attract less serious providers.
:reason: :rebirth:

• Information