Navigation by Routing

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
AttenuationHz

01 Aug 2016

So we all love to route things up how about this. It would be a much quicker way to have the fun of routing a sound up to a device that is a mile down the rack. We have all been there trying to slave or way down the rack a good 30 seconds just to connect side chain to the bass compressor and when we are half way down the rack we realise that we could have just right clicked found the device in the list and route but it just spoils the fun and adventure of routing.

What if with the navigation bar at the side you could just snap to the approximate location of the device you want to route and with cable in mouse you go to that location.

:o :o :o
SnapNav1.gif
SnapNav1.gif (662.2 KiB) Viewed 7669 times
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Wook

01 Aug 2016

Fantastic idea.

AttenuationHz

01 Aug 2016

:puf_wink: Just remember where you heard it :lol:
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Troyvasanth

01 Aug 2016

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Jagwah

02 Aug 2016

OMG that's cool nice one.

joeyluck

02 Aug 2016

Another user requested the option to double click to make connections like the Moog Model 15 app.
So it would work similarly so that you could double click a connection, use the navigator, and then double click another connection.

AttenuationHz

02 Aug 2016

joeyluck wrote:Another user requested the option to double click to make connections like the Moog Model 15 app.
So it would work similarly so that you could double click a connection, use the navigator, and then double click another connection.
Oh that gave me another idea. Multiple cable connection. As you said double click the second connect but this time when you double click at the destination the cables just sort of hang there until you pick them up.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

11 Aug 2016

Yes! Very good idea, having to hold down the left mouse button is a pain as well, the double click would make life a lot easier.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

adfielding

11 Aug 2016

AttenuationHz wrote:What if with the navigation bar at the side you could just snap to the approximate location of the device you want to route and with cable in mouse you go to that location.
That is a fantastic idea! For some reason I thought this was going to be a suggestion for a keyboard or mouse shortcut that would allow you to click on the end of a cable and be taken to the other end in the rack, but this is an idea I could totally get behind. Hell, I like both ideas!

challism

25 Jun 2017

This is a great suggestion and one I hope Props will implement in the next version. That would be fantastic. Sometimes I absolutely hate how long it takes to route everything, waiting for the rack to scroll to the other device. And I'm not a big fan of the left click connect menu. It's a bit faster, but still a PITA compared to your suggestion.

Please do this Props! It's a workflow gem.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Oquasec

25 Jun 2017

I wish you could click the wires and then only the wire you clicked was visible till you click again.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Creativemind

30 Jun 2017

Some fantastic ideas in this thread. I also liked the idea (think it was Joey Luck that mentioned this) about having the ports the cable will go to show up more visibly too (maybe by holding ctrl or shift down whilst dragging?) or really what would happen is, the ports that the cable won't go to will blur out somehow therefore making the ports it will go to show up more visibly. :-)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

MusicianX

18 Nov 2017

Really good idea here!

etyrnal

25 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:So we all love to route things up how about this. It would be a much quicker way to have the fun of routing a sound up to a device that is a mile down the rack. We have all been there trying to slave or way down the rack a good 30 seconds just to connect side chain to the bass compressor and when we are half way down the rack we realise that we could have just right clicked found the device in the list and route but it just spoils the fun and adventure of routing.

What if with the navigation bar at the side you could just snap to the approximate location of the device you want to route and with cable in mouse you go to that location.

SnapNav1.gif
I have so many times intuitively tried to do this in the past. It just makes sense. It would be so easy for them to implement too.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

AttenuationHz

25 Nov 2017

etyrnal wrote:
25 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:So we all love to route things up how about this. It would be a much quicker way to have the fun of routing a sound up to a device that is a mile down the rack. We have all been there trying to slave or way down the rack a good 30 seconds just to connect side chain to the bass compressor and when we are half way down the rack we realise that we could have just right clicked found the device in the list and route but it just spoils the fun and adventure of routing.

SnapNav1.gif
I have so many times intuitively tried to do this in the past. It just makes sense. It would be so easy for them to implement too.

:lol: Me too...

If it is not possible at least Remapping the left mouse button to right mouse button when a cable is held would be even easier. But I think having both options would be cool! It would be faster to right click the location than to hold the cable for a couple of seconds at the spot you want to navigate to.

etyrnal

25 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
etyrnal wrote:
25 Nov 2017

[emoji38] Me too...

If it is not possible at least Remapping the left mouse button to right mouse button when a cable is held would be even easier. But I think having both options would be cool! It would be faster to right click the location than to hold the cable for a couple of seconds at the spot you want to navigate to.
There would be no couple of seconds. Reason is constantly scanning its interface for the context of the mouse cursor. Reason is also aware of its own States. In other words reason is aware of whether it is in the process of creating a cable by dragging. You know how easy it is for a computer programmer to make tests? For example reason asks itself what is the current context of the mouse, what is the location of the mouse? So, when the cable creation mode is invoked, it would not be difficult to have that same code inquire about its location and context on the screen, and if it discovered that it was hovering over the rack navigator on the right, it could look up its location, and scroll the rack to that place. It's ridiculously easy. Everything it could possibly need to know is already known by the software right now. There's not even lots of coding that would have to be added. The ability for reason to scroll to a point in the rack that corresponds to an area that is clicked on in the Navigator is already there. So, while in cablecreation mode, and the mouse is depressed, the routine that is searching for weather the mouse is being held over an audio input or an audio output or a CV input or a CV output could just as easily detect whether it is floating over the Navigator and we're in the Navigator, and move the rack to that location until the person drags a mouse cursor back out of the Navigator. No additional clicking around clicking would have to be registered. It could be a unique state, which is unique to cable creation or relocation.

AttenuationHz

25 Nov 2017

etyrnal wrote:
25 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote: [emoji38] Me too...

There would be no couple of seconds. Reason is constantly scanning its interface for the context of the mouse cursor. Reason is also aware of its own States. In other words reason is aware of whether it is in the process of creating a cable by dragging. You know how easy it is for a computer programmer to make tests? For example reason asks itself what is the current context of the mouse, what is the location of the mouse? So, when the cable creation mode is invoked, it would not be difficult to have that same code inquire about its location and context on the screen, and if it discovered that it was hovering over the rack navigator on the right, it could look up its location, and scroll the rack to that place. It's ridiculously easy. Everything it could possibly need to know is already known by the software right now. There's not even lots of coding that would have to be added. The ability for reason to scroll to a point in the rack that corresponds to an area that is clicked on in the Navigator is already there. So, while in cablecreation mode, and the mouse is depressed, the routine that is searching for weather the mouse is being held over an audio input or an audio output or a CV input or a CV output could just as easily detect whether it is floating over the Navigator and we're in the Navigator, and move the rack to that location until the person drags a mouse cursor back out of the Navigator. No additional clicking around clicking would have to be registered. It could be a unique state, which is unique to cable creation or relocation.

There would have to be a couple of seconds for the user to pin point the location on the small navigator screen though. Think the same few seconds it takes for the cables to drop the triangles for devices when they are minimised (when you hold a cable at the triangle it collapses the back of devices)

Sure you could probably navigate down the rack with cables held at the navigator space but in order for it to snap you would have to hold it there for it to be consistent with other routing options imo. not quite 2 seconds in the gif probably 1.3 secs there abouts. But that is for a single rack other options for multiple rack columns would be harder to pin point the location because of the zoom on the navigation window when using racks side by side.

joeyluck

25 Nov 2017

I actually do this in a similar fashion on my MacBook Air.

I create the first cable connection, and while holding down the click, I use two fingers on the track pad to quickly swipe down to the device I'm looking to connect to (while keeping my eye on the navigator). I guess on something unlike the Apple trackpad, you would use a mouse wheel? But perhaps that can't get you to a device as fast as a quick swipe on a trackpad? This is one of the reasons I'd still like to see the double click option (as found on the Model 15 iOS app). So the user can just click, quickly scroll and click again.

If they did make the routing via navigation an option as you propose, I would hope they would make it pretty close to instant. Which might be tricky when you have several racks across... But I guess that could be remedied if they allow you to drag cables over top of the navigator itself (so there's no question in your intent on where to drag). If you have columns of racks to the right, dragging over to the navigator now, will only shift the screen to those racks. And you would need to be able to drag over the navigator itself in order to route to devices to the left and right anyways...

One feature suggestion I keep meaning to request is decreasing the time it takes to open an insert section when dragging a device over top of it. It's a convenient feature, but loses much of it's convenience in the time it takes for it to open. Maybe a separate option to set the time for this to happen?

In any case, just saying I would hope that this feature would be close to instant (or have an option to be instant), otherwise it would be faster for me to do it with the quick swipe method on my trackpad.

etyrnal

25 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
etyrnal wrote:
25 Nov 2017

There would have to be a couple of seconds for the user to pin point the location on the small navigator screen though. Think the same few seconds it takes for the cables to drop the triangles for devices when they are minimised (when you hold a cable at the triangle it collapses the back of devices)

Sure you could probably navigate down the rack with cables held at the navigator space but in order for it to snap you would have to hold it there for it to be consistent with other routing options imo. not quite 2 seconds in the gif probably 1.3 secs there abouts. But that is for a single rack other options for multiple rack columns would be harder to pin point the location because of the zoom on the navigation window when using racks side by side.
It makes no sense to me, if people have any concern about saving time, or how long it takes to open rack devices, to leave them all folded up. I always leave all of my devices unfolded all the time to make it easier to route and patch things and make adjustments while composing. To me it seems like a pointless Endeavor to keep folding things up when you can jump to any point instantaneously on the Navigator.

Namyo85

21 Dec 2017

Excellent idea, a must be!

antic604

21 Dec 2017

Another one would be to make it possible to drag two (or more) cables from the same CV / audio socket and Reason would automatically create Spider splitter once the connection with the destination is made.

selig
RE Developer

21 Dec 2017

antic604 wrote:Another one would be to make it possible to drag two (or more) cables from the same CV / audio socket and Reason would automatically create Spider splitter once the connection with the destination is made.
Never understood the need for the splitter/merger. Just allow unlimited inputs and outputs on every jack. When you hover over a jack with multiple cables a graphic appears which allows selecting a specific cable.
And please let us move stereo pairs of cables in one move!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

FlowerSoldier

21 Dec 2017

And please let us move stereo pairs of cables in one move!
^ This Please!

AttenuationHz

21 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
21 Dec 2017
Just allow unlimited inputs and outputs on every jack. When you hover over a jack with multiple cables a graphic appears which allows selecting a specific cable.
Hell yeah!

:thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

demt

21 Dec 2017

erm praps it only cuts in after a set amount of devices in the rack seems to wonder through my m,ind
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

• Information