Re-Installing Reason 2.5, after Reason 10 Froze my computer

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
BoomBoxMassacre99

17 Dec 2017

Hello All,

This is a long string of issues, so bear with me as I detail them. Any help in solving the issues would be GREATLY appreciated.

Number 1:

So, I was running Reason 5 (upgrade from Reason 2.5) a few weeks ago until I decided to buy the Reason 10 upgrade. When I downloaded the RSN 10 upgrade, it seemed to drastically slow down my PC computer, which is running on Windows 7 64-BIT. At first it wouldn't recognize my audio driver which was a Tascam US-144. I had to select different drivers to get any playback, at the cost of there being some latency issues.

Once I reinstalled my driver, it seemed to allow me to select that driver for playback. Running RSN 10 worked for a couple of days until every time I would press "play" on what I was working on, it would freeze and like a broken record it would be frozen but playing about 1 second of the composition over and over. I couldn't close the program or do anything. It was just frozen at that point where it was playing that snippet on repeat.

Number 2:

After hours of RSN 10 issues, I decided to uninstall Reason 10 and re-install Reason 5.

When I went to open Reason 5, or any of my previous .rsn files, it gave me the message "Unsupported Format-The Operation could not be completed because the format is not supported."

I open the control panel and click on Programs and it says that it was installed but for some reason I can't open anything because of this message above.

Number 3:

So after trying and trying to get RSN 5 to work again, I decided to start over and uninstall RSN 5 and also the main download where the system is built off of which is Reason 2.5. I originally purchased 2.5 and upgraded from there.

After uninstalling RSN 5, I uninstalled RSN 2.5. My plan was to start over.

After uninstalling RSN 2.5, I went back to reinstall and it kept giving me the following message: "This application requires Administrator priveliges to run. Please log on as Administrator, then try again."

I AM the only person that uses this computer and I have installed this before. I haven't made any changes to my system since 1st downloading RSN 2.5.

I keep running into roadblock after roadblock.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

FlowerSoldier

17 Dec 2017

I use a mac, but you might want to right click on your .rns files and specify which ver. of Reason you would like to open the docs with. Reason 10 uses the .reason suffix, so your computer might be confused as to which version you want to use.
That's all I can think of. It's strange that it worked for a few days, then began to malfunction. I don't know what to make of that.

ejanuska

17 Dec 2017

I'm curious if you could provide more specs on the computer.
Processor and amount of RAM at least.
If you were running R5 on it you've probably had it for a number of years.
Might need a new PC.
Xmas gift!

Ostermilk

18 Dec 2017

ejanuska wrote:
17 Dec 2017
I'm curious if you could provide more specs on the computer.
Processor and amount of RAM at least.
If you were running R5 on it you've probably had it for a number of years.
Might need a new PC.
Xmas gift!
Good call.

it may, for the time being. be worth going back to Win7 as some of the system drivers are likely better suited to the hardware era your machine dates from. So yes more details would help see what options best suit.

To the OP I also wouldn't bother putting 2.5 back on, it doesn't matter if your R5 goes straight on as you'll have the upgraded license details to enter in.

EnochLight

18 Dec 2017

BoomBoxMassacre99 wrote:
17 Dec 2017
Hello All,

This is a long string of issues, so bear with me as I detail them. Any help in solving the issues would be GREATLY appreciated.

Number 1:

So, I was running Reason 5 (upgrade from Reason 2.5) a few weeks ago until I decided to buy the Reason 10 upgrade. When I downloaded the RSN 10 upgrade, it seemed to drastically slow down my PC computer, which is running on Windows 7 64-BIT. At first it wouldn't recognize my audio driver which was a Tascam US-144. I had to select different drivers to get any playback, at the cost of there being some latency issues.

Once I reinstalled my driver, it seemed to allow me to select that driver for playback. Running RSN 10 worked for a couple of days until every time I would press "play" on what I was working on, it would freeze and like a broken record it would be frozen but playing about 1 second of the composition over and over. I couldn't close the program or do anything. It was just frozen at that point where it was playing that snippet on repeat.

Number 2:

After hours of RSN 10 issues, I decided to uninstall Reason 10 and re-install Reason 5.

When I went to open Reason 5, or any of my previous .rsn files, it gave me the message "Unsupported Format-The Operation could not be completed because the format is not supported."

I open the control panel and click on Programs and it says that it was installed but for some reason I can't open anything because of this message above.

Number 3:

So after trying and trying to get RSN 5 to work again, I decided to start over and uninstall RSN 5 and also the main download where the system is built off of which is Reason 2.5. I originally purchased 2.5 and upgraded from there.

After uninstalling RSN 5, I uninstalled RSN 2.5. My plan was to start over.

After uninstalling RSN 2.5, I went back to reinstall and it kept giving me the following message: "This application requires Administrator priveliges to run. Please log on as Administrator, then try again."

I AM the only person that uses this computer and I have installed this before. I haven't made any changes to my system since 1st downloading RSN 2.5.

I keep running into roadblock after roadblock.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
For starters, the Tascam US-144 is a budget audio interface that hasn't had drivers updated in over 7 years, so congrats on keeping it going this long at least. Since you're on Windows 7, that's probably the last time it had a firmware/driver update to support the OS. The difference between Reason 5.0 and 10 is massive, and it's a lot more resource hungry than 2.5-5.0 as well. It's possible your hardware is just too dated to handle it. What's your specs?

If your hardware specs are at least fairly recent, then I'd try a newer audio interface if you have that option. Or perhaps try using ASIO4ALL drivers with your Tascam US-144 and see if that helps. Finally, you might want to un-check the "Hyperthreading" option in Reason 10 (assuming your PC has a CPU that actually utilizes it).

As far as the admin privileges issue, make sure you're logged into your Windows profile with admin access. If you are, try installing it by rick-clicking on the installer and select "run as admin".
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

sdst
Competition Winner

18 Dec 2017

you can try the asio4all driver,

increase the cpu limit in reason 10, and avoid vst

but if you are interested in ancient software you can install windows xp in a partition

joeyluck

18 Dec 2017

It doesn't sound like it was mentioned yet, but issue number 3 sounds like you saved some of your songs with R10 and then tried to open them with a previous version of Reason. That you cannot do.

Iggster

19 Dec 2017

I have found myself in a similar situation...

I updated to Reason 10 yesterday and was working on a song for the Winter Song Challenge competition. When I came to export the song as an audio file, the computer keeps crashing (switching off) at around 12 bars into the export process. I've never had this issue with 9.5 and i'm kicking myself that I moved over to Version 10 yesterday because the song doesn't even make use of any of Reason 10's new features and now I can't export the final song!

My laptop is a fairly fast Alienware with a i7 4910 processor so wondering if this should be reported as a bug? Any thoughts?

EnochLight

19 Dec 2017

Iggster wrote:
19 Dec 2017
I have found myself in a similar situation...

I updated to Reason 10 yesterday and was working on a song for the Winter Song Challenge competition. When I came to export the song as an audio file, the computer keeps crashing (switching off) at around 12 bars into the export process. ...wondering if this should be reported as a bug?
Um... YES? ;)

Also, try exporting with Hyperthreading turned off in Reason's preferences and see if that does the trick. If it works, I'd still report the issue as a bug.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information