How do you guys feel about Reason getting rewritten on 11?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
AttenuationHz

13 Dec 2017

EdGrip wrote:
13 Dec 2017
I dunno why they didn't make the VST wrapper a combinator. They sort of half did, with the CV programmer, but no knobs.
It must be cos they don't want combinator knobs inside a combinator with knobs, but I don't know why.
Can always use CV8x4's knobs ;)
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

swamptooth

13 Dec 2017

Maybe if Reason could become the second DAW to implement VST3 per-note expression... That would be awesome.
Most other features I've asked to be implemented for a while now.

zebbleganubi

14 Dec 2017

i dont know if it makes sense to rewrite everything theyve built so far, unless there is some fundamental reason like it will be it easier and quicker for them to develop new features in the future or something like that... other than that a lot of things that people want could be just added to the current program without needing a rewrite.

im also against the idea because i have a ton of things scripted with autohotkey and theres a changes that a newer interface might not be accessible any more

miscend

15 Dec 2017

Record version 1.0 was new code written from scratch. Reason up to version 5.0 was the old code base.

stratatonic

15 Dec 2017

miscend wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Record version 1.0 was new code written from scratch. Reason up to version 5.0 was the old code base.
And Reason for mobile would be newer code as well. I wonder how much of that code can be used in an updated Reason for desktop.

Marco Raaphorst

15 Dec 2017

I don't know what a rewrite would exactly mean. I get the impression though that to fix the performance issues in Reason some complex changes need to be done. I am waiting for this a few years now. I have reported them many times but I feel that recently more people complained about it and gave the Props clues using CPU monitoring etc.

That's my only wish, to get Reason performing like it should. Just starting Reason 10 without anything running uses the same amount of CPU power as Live 10 plus it's crazy Wavetable synth pumping some serious energy trough my speakers.

Using Reason since version 1 so it's something I don't want to give up. I also have a long running relationship with the Swedish boys and girls. But this serious issue needs to be solved. And possibly it needs a rewrite. There's no alternative. It's the first thing the Props need to do.

miscend

15 Dec 2017

stratatonic wrote:
15 Dec 2017
miscend wrote:
15 Dec 2017
And Reason for mobile would be newer code as well. I wonder how much of that code can be used in an updated Reason for desktop.
They have been hinting at Reason mobile for a while. But yeah whatever performance improvements they gain from that should seep into the main program.

Marco Raaphorst

15 Dec 2017

Reason mobile would be great. iPads and iPhones are getting faster than laptops.

Psuper

15 Dec 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Reason mobile would be great.
I couldn't disagree more -- If they start spending their resources working on Mobile platforms, and not on improving their core DAW, it would be the death knell for Propellerhead. Mark my word.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Marco Raaphorst

15 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Reason mobile would be great.
I couldn't disagree more -- If they start spending their resources working on Mobile platforms, and not on improving their core DAW, it would be the death knell for Propellerhead. Mark my word.
Mobile is the future. Mark my word :)

AttenuationHz

15 Dec 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Reason mobile would be great. iPads and iPhones are getting faster than laptops.
If a Reason mobile would have better performance than Reason 10 then I swear. I'm done.... That would piss me off Royally. :lol:

I think a lot of use old timers would question that and take offence!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Psuper

15 Dec 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Psuper wrote:
15 Dec 2017

Mobile is already past its prime: A 'sounds fun' idea that in practice is sub par, bordering on useless on all fronts.

There's been ZERO innovation the last 5+ years, a fully realized yet stagnant technology in tablets for work-related solutions.

Marco Raaphorst

15 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
15 Dec 2017

Mobile is already past its prime: A 'sounds fun' idea that in practice is sub par, bordering on useless on all fronts.

There's been ZERO innovation the last 5+ years, a fully realized yet stagnant technology in tablets for work-related solutions.
Mobile devices are used the most nowadays. Apple is focussing on that instead of MBpro or iMacs. They are even killing the word computer.

The future can't be ignored.

EnochLight

15 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
15 Dec 2017

Mobile is already past its prime
Not at all. Cubasis on the iPad is freak'n amazing. If Reason had something similar, with RE's - being platform independent - it would be awesome. An iPad Pro with Reason + RE's? SIGN ME THE FUCK RIGHT UP, NOW.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Exowildebeest

15 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Psuper wrote:
15 Dec 2017

Mobile is already past its prime
Not at all. Cubasis on the iPad is freak'n amazing. If Reason had something similar, with RE's - being platform independent - it would be awesome. An iPad Pro with Reason + RE's? SIGN ME THE FUCK RIGHT UP, NOW.
I agree with Psuper - the tablet market is shrinking, and cool as its musical applications are, it isn't "the future" - that would have been something to speculatively say in 2011.

Sales for an iPad/tablet "pro" version of Reason would likely be very low. Sure the people who buy it would love it, but the market isn't big enough and never will be. Not worth the investment at all.

Marco Raaphorst

15 Dec 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
15 Dec 2017
EnochLight wrote:
15 Dec 2017

I agree with Psuper - the tablet market is shrinking, and cool as its musical applications are, it isn't "the future" - that would have been something to speculatively say in 2011.

Sales for an iPad/tablet "pro" version of Reason would likely be very low. Sure the people who buy it would love it, but the market isn't big enough and never will be. Not worth the investment at all.
More tablets are being sold than laptops. And ALL is shrinking in sales but tablets top laptops.

Psuper

15 Dec 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Exowildebeest wrote:
15 Dec 2017

More tablets are being sold than laptops. And ALL is shrinking in sales but tablets top laptops.
Sure, why wouldn't they? They're cheap and fun, and that's where it currently ends.

Laptops and tablets are that "Mobile Future" you talk about... Laptops been around mainstream for 20+ years, tablets mainstream maybe 12 years? They'll always sell sure, especially as they hybrid more and more with phones. But they aren't "The future", nor have they been for 20+ years, especially for things that benefit far more in a controlled environment, like audio production -- will never be better mobile.

Fun, something different to do on a sunny day, but not where resources should be wasted for any serious DAW.

EnochLight

15 Dec 2017

Actually, the PC market (including laptops) has stabilized the past year or so. And while tablet sales are, in fact, down (sorry Marco), and they'll never achieve the sort of growth they did at first when the first few iPads were all the rage, we need to be clear: there's still a metric shit ton of tablets out there and there will still be a metric shit ton of tablets sold in the future.

Reason needs a mobile (tablet) offering bad. It needed it years ago, and it's certainly not too late. Hardware has only gotten faster (at least it has on the iPad front, which - let's face it - is really the only platform they should consider), and the platform itself is quite useful while mobile.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/272 ... sktop-pcs/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Psuper

15 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
15 Dec 2017

Reason needs a mobile (tablet) offering bad. It needed it years ago, and it's certainly not too late. Hardware has only gotten faster (at least it has on the iPad front, which - let's face it - is really the only platform they should consider), and the platform itself is quite useful while mobile.
We're just gonna have to totally disagree on this one my brother.

I can sum up my feelings:

1. Worst thing Propellerhead could do is waste resources on Mobile.
2. 2nd worst is to focus on Apple, should they make the poor decision to do #1.

Marco Raaphorst

15 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
15 Dec 2017
There's no alternative. Android still sucks when it comes to mobile music making.

I think the Props needs to do both, desktop and mobile. But things are shifting fast to mobile so the Props need to focus on that as well.

Psuper

15 Dec 2017

Marco Raaphorst wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Psuper wrote:
15 Dec 2017
There's no alternative. Android still sucks when it comes to mobile music making.

I think the Props needs to do both, desktop and mobile. But things are shifting fast to mobile so the Props need to focus on that as well.
Mobile still sucks when it comes to mobile music making.

Android is the Linux Kernel, easily portable and Linux is huge today when 'performance' matters from the network to the desktop. Apple is, as always, expensive and proprietary with worse performance per $$$.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. If they go full foray into mobile and don't have the resources to continue meaningful development the Desktop, they'll be in more trouble than they are now.

stephensmattlee

15 Dec 2017

Maybe I’m too old fashioned but personally I wouldn’t want to see Propellerheads wasting their time and resources into creating more mobile and tablet apps. Reminds me of a few years ago when it felt like they were investing too much time and effort into Discover/Alihoopa, nothing wrong with it, just felt a little to me like the time could have been better spent further developing Reason rather than side-adventures.

Maybe it’s different for windows tablets but for me Apples iOS devices feel a lot more gimmicky and less “pro” than a hot rod powered laptop or desktop. I’m not saying in 5-10 years time that things could be different, but right here and now I feel like the Props should be focussing 100% on their flagship product on the platforms it works best, rather than taking sidesteps in other avenues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EnochLight

15 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
15 Dec 2017
I take it you've never used an iPad with Cubasis running, then? If you have, I'd love to hear why you think it sucks. Because I have, and all I can say is that it is a perfectly workable environment as a mobile solution - and that's coming from someone who doesn't even use Cubase.

It far from sucks, man. Could it be better? Of course it could! But sucks? That's just silly talk.

Marco Raaphorst

15 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Marco Raaphorst wrote:
15 Dec 2017

Android is the Linux Kernel, easily portable and Linux is huge today when 'performance' matters from the network to the desktop. Apple is, as always, expensive and proprietary with worse performance per $$$.

Regardless, it doesn't matter. If they go full foray into mobile and don't have the resources to continue meaningful development the Desktop, they'll be in more trouble than they are now.
What sucks is relative :)

Laptops used to be not powerful enough for music. Matter of time.

Tape + smpte + Atari 1040st? Man, an iPad is so much better than that. Even on a iPhones some great tunes are being made.

One day a laptop feels like an old typewriter. It's all about innovation.

Psuper

15 Dec 2017

EnochLight wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Psuper wrote:
15 Dec 2017
I take it you've never used an iPad with Cubasis running, then? If you have, I'd love to hear why you think it sucks. Because I have, and all I can say is that it is a perfectly workable environment as a mobile solution - and that's coming from someone who doesn't even use Cubase.

It far from sucks, man. Could it be better? Of course it could! But sucks? That's just silly talk.
No, it sucks. I mean we're comparing an Apple or Android tablet performance vs desktop or even laptop? It's not even remotely close.

Now is it fun? Sure I already said it is for just messing around on the couch or something, adding it to your desktop arsenal if you wanted to of which I've done yet retired as the noveltoy wore off.

And your right, 'Sucks' is relative. However application is not, and if someone thinks Audio Production will ever be preferred on the current crop of "Mobile" tablets or phones or whatever, compared to a controlled desktop environment - well that's the silly talk.

• Information