Cloud based backup for Reason files advice

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Jagwah

14 Dec 2017

Not happy with my current backup solution and really want to get a cloud based one sorted out ASAP.

I've read a few times now that these solutions have some program that scans your HDD and chooses what to back up or something ridiculous like that. I just want to back up my Reason song files.

Any advice would be appreciated as I have no experience here.

Cheers!

FlowerSoldier

14 Dec 2017

I use google cloud for my back up. It's $10 a month for a TB. I have everything backed up to HDDs, but I use the cloud as another layer of protection. I've had HDs fail.

joeyluck

14 Dec 2017

I use Google Drive too. It used to just sync what was saved to your Google Drive folder, but now with the Google Backup & Sync client app, you can choose any folder, without having to move it.

fotizimo

14 Dec 2017

I use dropbox with all of my Reason refills, song directories, and all other files working under the dropbox folder inside "Documents". Works for me, and costs the same as the google users for 1tb.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Oquasec

14 Dec 2017

Encrypted Cloud storage services like linux cloud services.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jagwah

14 Dec 2017

Thanks a bunch everyone.

Going with Google Drive, apparently everyone gets 15Gb free storage. For now it's perfect as I just wanted to get something started immediately.

I am left wondering how free this 15Gb free actually is, as I can get by with just this much space.

:)

Goodbye

15 Dec 2017

Dropbox and Google Drive are not backup systems. They are apps for syncing files. If you delete a file from your machine, it will be synced and deleted from their servers. This is not a safe way to backup. You can enable history in Dropbox for a price and I imagine Drive has something similar, but if you care about your files I would use something like Arq alongside, so you have versioned backups if (when) you need them. https://www.arqbackup.com. Personally I use Time Machine as well for local backups and keep a drive in the boot of our car which I periodically clone my drive images onto. Whatever you do just make sure you have your files backed up remotely to a safe place, and any service which automatically syncs files is not a safe place.

Oquasec

15 Dec 2017

Surprisingly I'd say use a custom FTP server or something else instead of those for backups unless you stick to exclusively the web versions that don't require you to do that.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jagwah

16 Dec 2017

Goodbye wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Dropbox and Google Drive are not backup systems. They are apps for syncing files. If you delete a file from your machine, it will be synced and deleted from their servers. This is not a safe way to backup. You can enable history in Dropbox for a price and I imagine Drive has something similar, but if you care about your files I would use something like Arq alongside, so you have versioned backups if (when) you need them. https://www.arqbackup.com. Personally I use Time Machine as well for local backups and keep a drive in the boot of our car which I periodically clone my drive images onto. Whatever you do just make sure you have your files backed up remotely to a safe place, and any service which automatically syncs files is not a safe place.
Thanks for the info. What I did with Google Drive is make a folder specifically for it. I have my files on my HDD, but the more important ones also get dropped into this extra folder and therefore backed up on the cloud. Does this not seem like a good solution? It seems OK at face value but I've never really tried this before.

Arqbackup asks for a one time fee and mentions nothing about storage size, is it just unlimited?

joeyluck

16 Dec 2017

Jagwah wrote:
16 Dec 2017
Goodbye wrote:
15 Dec 2017
Thanks for the info. What I did with Google Drive is make a folder specifically for it. I have my files on my HDD, but the more important ones also get dropped into this extra folder and therefore backed up on the cloud. Does this not seem like a good solution? It seems OK at face value but I've never really tried this before.

Arqbackup asks for a one time fee and mentions nothing about storage size, is it just unlimited?
There are preferences for this that you can set. But Google Backup and Sync will also prompt you and ask if you want to also remove the file from Google Drive online.

Goriila Texas

16 Dec 2017

I use https://www.carbonite.com/ and couldn't be happier. Very professional and support is great.

Goodbye

17 Dec 2017

Jagwah wrote:
16 Dec 2017
Goodbye wrote:
15 Dec 2017

What happens if you accidentally delete your special folder or a file from it? It gets deleted. When your machine syncs with the server, it also deletes the file on the server. You are syncing your mistakes. This is not a backup solution. It is a r cope for disaster. You need a system that gives you versioned backups. Something like Arq (which works on the same principle as time machine) is that you are saving a folder or directory structure and every time you make a change you are capturing the state of those files, so you can return to that state whenever you like. If you accidentally delete a file and don't realise until weeks later you can return to the state before you deleted the file and retrieve it.

Arq actually works out very cheaply - you can use a few different services to provide the storage and pay for that separately which works out very cheaply - much cheaper than a full backup solution that adds a huge markup to the price of storage.

Goodbye

17 Dec 2017

joeyluck wrote:
16 Dec 2017
Jagwah wrote:
16 Dec 2017

There are preferences for this that you can set. But Google Backup and Sync will also prompt you and ask if you want to also remove the file from Google Drive online.
Maybe, but a backup solution that allows you to delete all your backups with one accidental click is a terrible backup solution.

joeyluck

17 Dec 2017

Goodbye wrote:
17 Dec 2017
joeyluck wrote:
16 Dec 2017

Maybe, but a backup solution that allows you to delete all your backups with one accidental click is a terrible backup solution.
Well if you want to use it as a backup solution, choose the preference for that.
If you want to use it for a behavior more suited for syncing, choose that.

Google-Drive-removing-items.jpg
Google-Drive-removing-items.jpg (182.95 KiB) Viewed 2354 times

Goodbye

18 Dec 2017

OK. Fair enough. It's changed since I last used it.

My apologies.

Jagwah

18 Dec 2017

Yeah seems quite good, I created a folder in Google Drive and now just drag my latest Reason file to it when ending a session.

I didn't install any sync software, I do not like the idea of it, much rather everything be at my discretion.

There's a 15Gb trial if anyone wants to check it out.

JohnEvans

13 Nov 2020

Data backup means creating a copy of files and folders on an additional storage medium using a specific service or tool. A backup is made to restore data if the information is damaged or destroyed in the primary storage location. Creating a backup is especially important if you have your own website served by a hosting provider – in this case, pay attention to the vmware backup solution. Backup acts as a kind of lifeline in case of loss of vital data.

• Information