ReasonTalk Winter Competition!

Great fun, great prizes! Good luck!
Kenni
Site Admin

01 Dec 2017

CompetitionBanner2.JPG
CompetitionBanner2.JPG (597.98 KiB) Viewed 16112 times
Dear members of ReasonTalk,

We're very proud to announce this competition. Not only does the prize pool exceed anything we've ever seen in a Reason centric competition, it also shows what kind of power a closely connected community packs. We know we didn't get to reach out to all the developers out there. It's nothing personal! What started out as a rather impulsive idea only a little more than a week ago escalated into what the competition became today; we simply didn't have enough time to reach out to everybody!

Enough with the boring stuff, let's get to it!

Rules and details
  • The overall theme of this competition is "Winter". The rest is up to you!
  • Only one entry per person
  • Double check everything! As soon as you have submitted your entry, your submission is final!
  • Song duration must be at least 2 audible minutes
  • No remixes or cover songs. We want 100% original entries
  • Starts: December 1st 2017
  • Ends: December 19th 11.59pm CET (GMT+1) (5.59pm EST)
  • Submissions are private and must be submitted through here: https://competition.reasontalk.com - Entries that haven't been submitted through that form will not be considered. No forum submissions!
  • If timezones confuses you, you can always check https://competition.reasontalk.com - It features a countdown
  • The submission form has a "Propellerhead Username" input. We are only using this to forward to the sponsors for the winning entries so you can receive your prizes. Please triple check this before submitting!
  • We urge people not to share their creations. This is simply to rule out any upfront favoring of entries (rather, dismiss any accusations of such if needed). Upload your entry as unlisted on SoundCloud/Allihoopa, or whatever host you prefer
  • No device limitations. Yes, you can use VSTs! Only requirement is that your sound generating devices aren't 100% VSTs
  • If you bounce to track, you must leave the original note lane/device intact. This goes for VSTs as well
  • Competitors must provide the Reason song file upon request
  • ReasonTalk staff, and the staff from sponsors' companies can't participate in the competition
  • While it's not a requirement or necessarily an advantage, we do like ourselves some artistic, creative sugar, whether it's a sudden change in time signature, key changes, genre transitions and so on. Don't be afraid to see if you can make it work!
  • Do not use copyrighted samples or otherwise material that hasn't been cleared
Voting

For now, we'd like to keep the voting process a secret. We do want you to know that we have everything lined up and ready, no matter what may hit us. We must however inform you that we expect a lot of entries. Imagine 100 entries at a minimum 2 minutes duration (as per requirement). That's well over 3 hours of music! Therefore, the date for voting/announcing any kind of results isn't set just yet, we'll have to be flexible about that.

Prizes

Winner
  • Propellerhead Reason 10 upgrade (from an eligible version)
  • Blamsoft - 2 Rack Extensions of your choice
  • Fielding SoundWorks - Europa Relay
  • GForce Software ChamberTron RE (or your choice of any GForce RE)
  • Jiggery Pokery - JPS Harmonic Synthesizer
  • KiloHearts - Toolbox
  • Kuassa - Choose one of these bundles:
    • Kuassa EVE-AT Bundle + Kuassa Kratos 2 Maximizer
    • Kuassa Amplifikation Bundle
    • Kuassa Efektor Modulation Bundle + Kuassa Efektor Distortion Bundle
  • Lab:One Recordings - 3 REs of your choice
  • Lectric Panda - Nostromo
  • Mathieu Demange - RYM2612 Iconic FM Synthesizer
  • Reasonistas - SideChain ReAction Enveloper
  • Robotic Bean - Resonans and a collectors cowbell
  • Selig Audio - Leveler + Surprise!
  • SoftPhonics - ScoRe
  • SoftPhonics - ScoRe 2
1st runner up
  • Blamsoft - 1 Rack Extension of your choice
  • Fielding SoundWorks - Europa Relay
  • GForce Software - Re-Strings (or your choice of any GForce RE)
  • Jiggery Pokery - Chenille Chorus Ensemble
  • KiloHearts - Faturator
  • KiloHearts - Transient Shaper
  • Kuassa - Product of your choice, up to $59
  • Lab:One Recordings - 2 REs of your choice
  • Lectric Panda - Fritz
  • Robotic Bean - Any Rack Extension other than Resonans, and an exclusive cowbell
  • Selig Audio - DeEsser
  • Selig Audio - Gain
  • SoftPhonics - ScoRe
2nd runner up
  • Blamsoft - 1 Rack Extension of your choice
  • GForce Software - Re-Tron (or your choice of any GForce RE)
  • Jiggery Pokery - Organ of your choice
  • KiloHearts - Faturator
  • KiloHearts - Transient Shaper
  • Kuassa - Product of your choice, up to $59
  • Lab:One Recordings - 2 REs of your choice
  • Lectric Panda - Fritz
  • Robotic Bean - Any Rack Extension other than Resonans, and an exclusive cowbell
  • Selig Audio - Gain
NB: No cash alternatives

Judges:
  • The ReasonTalk staff
  • Representatives from our sponsors:
    • Andrew Best (Blamsoft)
    • DJ Fresha (Lab:One Recordings)
    • Matt Black (Jiggery Pokery)
    • Mathieu Demange
    • Rob Buse (Lectric Panda)
    • Noel G. (Reasonistas)
    • Dimi Nalbantov (Kuassa)
    • Andrew Skelton (Softphonics)
A big and warm thank you goes to all the contributors: Blamsoft, Fielding SoundWorks, GForce Software, Jiggery Pokery, KiloHearts, Kuassa, Lab:One Recordings, Lectric Panda, Mathieu Demange, Propellerhead, Robotic Bean, Selig Audio and SoftPhonics!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Zac

01 Dec 2017

Wow, this is wide open, I love that, really appeals to my creativity. This is a great opportunity to really pull together all the new options that have opened up recently. Plus the prizes are magic :thumbs_up:

Noplan
Competition Winner

01 Dec 2017

Nice competition. Thanks. :thumbs_up:

Jagwah

01 Dec 2017

Wow that's cool I'm salivating over the prizes.

Sorped

01 Dec 2017

Just curious as to what you need the ReasonTalk password for? :)
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

Kenni
Site Admin

01 Dec 2017

It's a ReasonTalk hosted competition, and a single entry competition. This way, only forum members are allowed to enter and we can make sure that we enforce the "Only one entry per user" rule.

Mistype your password and you'll notice the authentication fails. :)
Sorped wrote:
01 Dec 2017
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Sorped

01 Dec 2017

Kenni wrote:
01 Dec 2017
It's a ReasonTalk hosted competition, and a single entry competition. This way, only forum members are allowed to enter and we can make sure that we enforce the "Only one entry per user" rule.

Mistype your password and you'll notice the authentication fails. :)
Sorped wrote:
01 Dec 2017
Gotcha!
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

Reasonistas
RE Developer

01 Dec 2017

Thanks for organizing this great ReasonTalk community competition. Looking forward to hearing all the entries. Good luck to everyone!
ImageImageImage

Grecco

01 Dec 2017

Wonderful ;)

:PUF_balance: :re: :reason: :rt: :cool:
Happy :reason: user.

Zac

01 Dec 2017

I've got a feeling this may produce some of the best music ever from a competition. It would be great if there's a way to hear all the entries after the results are announced...

strangers
Competition Winner

01 Dec 2017

Now this is a party! Can't wait to get started and eventually hear what everyone comes up with. Best of luck to all!

Psuper

01 Dec 2017

Glad to see it. Would have preferred it Reason devices only though.

Still, it's a way to generate some interest hope a lot of people participate.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

RandomSkratch

01 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
01 Dec 2017
Glad to see it. Would have preferred it Reason devices only though.

I haven't entered a contest in a reeeeeaallly long time and was looking forward to seeing what this would be... having it wide open to all device + ALL VST and with no composition limitations... ehhhh.. I'm more turned off than interested...

selig
RE Developer

01 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:Glad to see it. Would have preferred it Reason devices only though.

Some see it as more creative, some less - you are free to use Reason only devices if you prefer! I use VSTs in Reason now, and would have assumed folks would simply work the way they already work for this contest.

Curious - do you believe it’s less ‘fair’, less ‘creative’, or “other”. In other words, why do you prefer Reason Only devices (which you can do yourself if you like)?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

Psuper

01 Dec 2017

selig wrote:
01 Dec 2017
Psuper wrote:Glad to see it. Would have preferred it Reason devices only though.

Some see it as more creative, some less - you are free to use Reason only devices if you prefer! I use VSTs in Reason now, and would have assumed folks would simply work the way they already work for this contest.

Curious - do you believe it’s less ‘fair’, less ‘creative’, or “other”. In other words, why do you prefer Reason Only devices (which you can do yourself if you like)?

I think Reason should be enough to show what's capable, especially since the prizes are all Reason-related.

Regardless, my main thought is I could just pick one small sound in Reason and go all-out external. Load up my $100k worth of VSTs, outboard hardware, and go to town. Don't get me wrong, I'm a piano and vocal guy and know mega hits can be done with peanuts. I just think the most even playing field is what can be done in Reason, especially given the more hobbyist audience I forsee would want to participate,

Kenni
Site Admin

01 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
selig wrote:
01 Dec 2017

I think Reason should be enough to show what's capable, especially since the prizes are all Reason-related.

Regardless, my main thought is I could just pick one small sound in Reason and go all-out external. Load up my $100k worth of VSTs, outboard hardware, and go to town. Don't get me wrong, I'm a piano and vocal guy and know mega hits can be done with peanuts. I just think the most even playing field is what can be done in Reason, especially given the more hobbyist audience I forsee would want to participate,
We had this discussion, and this argument was brought up.

The most important thing to remember is that the competition has a theme! :) Not everybody agrees that VST can accomplish things you can't do in Reason, maybe with the exception of very particular effects, but what matters the most here is the theme and creativity :)

If we were worried about a level playing field we would have made a device limitation in general. That's not inspiring for all, and everybody should be able to participate, including those who just got Reason and only have VSTs.

Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

joeyluck

01 Dec 2017

Kenni wrote:
01 Dec 2017
Psuper wrote:

We had this discussion, and this argument was brought up.

The most important thing to remember is that the competition has a theme! :) Not everybody agrees that VST can accomplish things you can't do in Reason, maybe with the exception of very particular effects, but what matters the most here is the theme and creativity :)

If we were worried about a level playing field we would have made a device limitation in general. That's not inspiring for all, and everybody should be able to participate, including those who just got Reason and only have VSTs.
Yup. I agree with this. And the composition is important to all of us :)

selig
RE Developer

01 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
01 Dec 2017
selig wrote:
01 Dec 2017

The problem with the "more even playing field" argument is that we would have to limit things to Reason 5 in order to assure everyone has the same exact tools available. But that's not the concept behind this commotion - it's about your interpretation of the theme, and it only made sense to allow folks to use Reasons with the REs and VSTs (and external hardware) that YOU use to best express yourself.

As this is a theme based competition, it's more like other songwriting competitions which place no restrictions on the actual tools used to create your masterpiece. In that sense it's more real world.

Thanks for your feedback, we're always looking for ways to improve things around here, and your opinions are duly noted!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Emian

01 Dec 2017

Thx for the contest!

I've allways loved contests, they're a lot more fun and interesting then the usual software-bashing....

I'll do my upmost to contribute!

Looking ffwd to all entries allready!!!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn FEVER met Tapatalk

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Psuper

01 Dec 2017

I know the arguments for or against, I get it. I'm not suggesting an even playing field, I'm suggesting the 'most even' given the competition, prizes, and theme.

Sure new users may not know Reason, I don't know quite how that will play into it though. I suppose they'd slave Reason as an instrument off their normal DAW in that case -- I can't see them learning to use Reason just to incorporate their preferred VSTs.

QVprod

01 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
01 Dec 2017
I know the arguments for or against, I get it. I'm not suggesting an even playing field, I'm suggesting the 'most even' given the competition, prizes, and theme.

Sure new users may not know Reason, I don't know quite how that will play into it though. I suppose they'd slave Reason as an instrument off their normal DAW in that case -- I can't see them learning to use Reason just to incorporate their preferred VSTs.
I believe the key thing here is that this competition isn't about the about how well a person can use Reason but rather it's about the best composition/song a person can create related to the theme. All that requires is simple DAW knowledge of how to record audio or midi. VST's and Reason knowledge may contribute to sound quality, but it doesn't necessarily make a better song. Also as of 9.5, VST is now a part of the capabilities of Reason. With that in mind, we decided to allow everyone access to the tools they're used to (or getting used to) within Reason so that no one is alienated or limited in how creative they can be.

selig
RE Developer

01 Dec 2017

Psuper wrote:
01 Dec 2017

I would think the "most even" would be to let everyone use the tools they are most comfortable with. If you force someone to use non-familiar tools, doesn't that make it LESS even rather than more?
Selig Audio, LLC

Kenni
Site Admin

01 Dec 2017

There's a better time and place to debate VST in Reason. The rules are set. :)

Right now it's about the competition! If any of you have any questions about the competition, don't hesitate to ask! :)
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

robthompson

01 Dec 2017

I get that this is a comp primarily about making music as a response to a suggested theme. But. How much will the mixing/mastering be taken into account in considering the entries?

Asking for a friend........

Thank you!

Kenni
Site Admin

01 Dec 2017

robthompson wrote:I get that this is a comp primarily about making music as a response to a suggested theme. But. How much will the mixing/mastering be taken into account in considering the entries?

Asking for a friend........

Thank you!
Naturally everything will be taken into account as a whole. But delivering just a great mix without a thematic consideration won't score as high as a fairly well-mixed song with lots of thematic reference!
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

• Information