How do I get this effect? PSB or Cassandra Complex

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
eusti

19 Jan 2015

Not sure if this is in the right section here...
For years I have admired this effect and haven't really been able to replicate it...

Here it starts at 1:00 minute. (sorry, it's more at 57 s.)

This one starts at 0:38 minutes.

To me these effects seem similar. I tried to do something along the lines of white noise with modulating Filter Freq and Res... But it doesn't get that hollowness... So it might need some distortion as well... But especially in the second example the pitch seems to change a lot too... But if I go the white noise route I seem not to get that... Mmmh...

Please let me know if you have any idea how to get me closer!

Thanks!

D.

Olivier

19 Jan 2015

Oh, Pet shop boys.. Awesome!
I think the basis of the effect is some kind of flanger, have you looked into that ?
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

eusti

19 Jan 2015

Thanks, Eauhm!

The flanger helps a bit... In Thor I found that using the static noise would get me closer as well...
As does using the shaper in hard clip mode...

Still not quite where I want it though... :P

D.

ScavvP

19 Jan 2015

Try the scream algortithm on the Scream 4 with colored noise (thor). It gives a pretty similar sound.

eusti

19 Jan 2015

ScavvP wrote:Try the scream algortithm on the Scream 4 with colored noise (thor). It gives a pretty similar sound.
Wow, ScavvP! That is pretty neat. Especially modulating the Frequency Amount. Nice!
Thank you! :)

Will definitely try to use that soon!

D.

selig
RE Developer

19 Jan 2015

The first example may have been classic oscillator sync, made famous in The Cars "Let's Go":
Selig Audio, LLC

eusti

19 Jan 2015

selig wrote:The first example may have been classic oscillator sync, made famous in The Cars "Let's Go"
Interesting. Thanks, Giles... I don't seem to have the skills to figure out how to get close with just Osc Sync... (adding the Scream 4 works though! Learned that one now! ;) )

D.

• Information