Nektar Panorama update with VST control and Reason 10 support!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2017

iramrezso wrote:
08 Nov 2017
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
08 Nov 2017

I have just looked at the code and it should be there but for some reason the buttons are not being displayed.

Looking into this.
Thanks!
Can you start a new thread about this? something like "Thor Mappings issues with Nektar" so this thread can stay on track.

TChandler

08 Nov 2017

There's an update in the next few days that will fix the problem with older device mapping. Sorry for braking that it's due to a typo in the Lua code.

iramrezso

08 Nov 2017

TChandler wrote:
08 Nov 2017
There's an update in the next few days that will fix the problem with older device mapping. Sorry for braking that it's due to a typo in the Lua code.
Sounds great! Looking forward to get it. Thanks.
(The Europa and Grain don't have menu for sub-pages in the factory mapping, is it by design?)

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2017

iramrezso wrote:
08 Nov 2017
The Europa and Grain don't have menu for sub-pages in the factory mapping, is it by design?
That's by design, for speed to get the frequent controls.

TChandler

09 Nov 2017

As Carly states Europa and Grain mapping is slimmed out 'by design'. We cover the most important params in the maps avoiding the need for menu diving. The GRAB feature allows access to any parameter on Europa or Grain, with the additional advantage that you can 'mix up' parameters on the same page.

I really should shoot a video on this!

Grabbed parameters are remembered over page changes so in Europa you can grab the unison parameters instead of the filter params if you are not using engine 1's filter and tweak the unison settings against the wave shaping. The unison params will stick on engine 1 even when navigating to pages for engine 2 and 3.

Or, if the patch you are working on doesn't use engine 3, you might chose to override engine 3's page with a mixup of params from engines 1 and 2.

Grab brings a lot of flexibility to your workflow with the obvious advantage that you can take control of any parameters you can see on the device immediately.

iramrezso

09 Nov 2017

TChandler wrote:
09 Nov 2017
As Carly states Europa and Grain mapping is slimmed out 'by design'. We cover the most important params in the maps avoiding the need for menu diving. The GRAB feature allows access to any parameter on Europa or Grain, with the additional advantage that you can 'mix up' parameters on the same page.

Grabbed parameters are remembered over page changes so in Europa you can grab the unison parameters instead of the filter params if you are not using engine 1's filter and tweak the unison settings against the wave shaping. The unison params will stick on engine 1 even when navigating to pages for engine 2 and 3.

Or, if the patch you are working on doesn't use engine 3, you might chose to override engine 3's page with a mixup of params from engines 1 and 2.

Grab brings a lot of flexibility to your workflow with the obvious advantage that you can take control of any parameters you can see on the device immediately.
I find the Grab functionality very interesting and useful tool to bring Panorama controllers closer to third party REs and VSTs which haven't mapped yet. However the original philosophy of Panorama controllers was to let the mouse and keyboard untouched as much as possible while in its own workflow and transform the controller to the device selected in Reason.

Mouse and keyboard still have to be used heavily along with Panorama, this comes mostly from Reason's limitations. But this new Grab methodology forces the user to follow a more mixed way of mouse/keyboard/controller even by managing a single device. And my personal opinion is that if I have to use the mouse to turn some virtual knobs while pressing a button on the controller and then move the knobs on controller, too, and all of these just for a temporary configuration I easily can conclude that moving the virtual knobs directly with mouse still is an easier and quicker solution :) Especially by those devices I expect full Panorama support for. And add to this that those grabbed mappings are cleared by restart of Reason.

The Grab seems to me very similar to remote mapping provided by Reason. This degrades Panorama to be a common midi controller in my eyes. However Panorama's strength came from its dedicated effort to be a real immediate controller for tons of Reason devices right out of the box. This was the selling point to me.

Ok I have to get used to Grab much more, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :)

But you should have been consequent by stock devices at least, I think. So Europa, Grain and the other new stock devices should have gotten their own full map.

AttenuationHz

09 Nov 2017

iramrezso wrote:
09 Nov 2017
TChandler wrote:
09 Nov 2017

I find the Grab functionality very interesting and useful tool to bring Panorama controllers closer to third party REs and VSTs which haven't mapped yet. However the original philosophy of Panorama controllers was to let the mouse and keyboard untouched as much as possible while in its own workflow and transform the controller to the device selected in Reason.

Mouse and keyboard still have to be used heavily along with Panorama, this comes mostly from Reason's limitations. But this new Grab methodology forces the user to follow a more mixed way of mouse/keyboard/controller even by managing a single device. And my personal opinion is that if I have to use the mouse to turn some virtual knobs while pressing a button on the controller and then move the knobs on controller, too, and all of these just for a temporary configuration I easily can conclude that moving the virtual knobs directly with mouse still is an easier and quicker solution :) Especially by those devices I expect full Panorama support for. And add to this that those grabbed mappings are cleared by restart of Reason.

The Grab seems to me very similar to remote mapping provided by Reason. This degrades Panorama to be a common midi controller in my eyes. However Panorama's strength came from its dedicated effort to be a real immediate controller for tons of Reason devices right out of the box. This was the selling point to me.

Ok I have to get used to Grab much more, so take my opinion with a grain of salt :)

But you should have been consequent by stock devices at least, I think. So Europa, Grain and the other new stock devices should have gotten their own full map.
Grab only works if the device is scoped. Meaning it can't work is there is no mapping done for it. The Remote info needs to be in the file.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

TChandler

09 Nov 2017

Thats fine, it's good to hear opinions and it's impossible to please everyone, particularly when there's so much work involved in mapping individual instruments.

Grab is unlike remote override in that:

1. You can map several parameters in one go so it's much quicker.
2. Grab is remembered per rack device (and per page within the devices)
3. Grab also doesn't affect a control's existing mapping. If you use remote override to map a control you can't use that control for anything else.

The reality is individuals have different expectations and workflow particularly when you start looking at individual devices. So a simple method to allow customization of maps without having to dive into text editing remotemaps is necessary to meet the vast majority of customer needs.

As has been said we still have to add scopes to the remotemaps just for Panorama to see the device parameters - which in all honesty is a great deal of work to maintain. This is a limitation of the remote technology.

However on the plus side the remote technology does provide for easy editing of text-based remotemaps for those who are prepared to dive in. Hence some excellent customized mappings for various REs and VSTs from Carly and others are available on this forum.

AttenuationHz

09 Nov 2017

TChandler wrote:
09 Nov 2017
Thats fine, it's good to hear opinions and it's impossible to please everyone, particularly when there's so much work involved in mapping individual instruments.

3. Grab also doesn't affect a control's existing mapping. If you use remote override to map a control you can't use that control for anything else.

The reality is individuals have different expectations and workflow particularly when you start looking at individual devices. So a simple method to allow customization of maps without having to dive into text editing remotemaps is necessary to meet the vast majority of customer needs.

As has been said we still have to add scopes to the remotemaps just for Panorama to see the device parameters - which in all honesty is a great deal of work to maintain. This is a limitation of the remote technology.

However on the plus side the remote technology does provide for easy editing of text-based remotemaps for those who are prepared to dive in. Hence some excellent customized mappings for various REs and VSTs from Carly and others are available on this forum.
Meaning to ask with grab is there a template that would work? All that would need to be added would be the scope and the remote info for the CTRL's. I will probably look into it myself but if there is one that you used to write the Grab maps that would save the hassle [code.][/code.]
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

09 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
09 Nov 2017
TChandler wrote:
09 Nov 2017

Meaning to ask with grab is there a template that would work? All that would need to be added would be the scope and the remote info for the CTRL's. I will probably look into it myself but if there is one that you used to write the Grab maps that would save the hassle [code.][/code.]
All you need is the scope, Device name and the CTRL.
e.g. however in that example I can only Grab what you can see in that list.

Code: Select all

Scope	RPCX	vst.PhsD.Blue
Map	Device Name		"_Blue"		HOME
Map	Ctrl 1		Volume
Map	Ctrl 2		Port Time
Map	Ctrl 3		Global Transpose
Map	Ctrl 4		Bend Range
Map	Ctrl 5		Osc A Vol
Map	Ctrl 6		Osc B Vol
Map	Ctrl 7		Osc C Vol
Map	Ctrl 8		Osc D Vol
Map	Ctrl 9		Osc E Vol
Map	Ctrl 10		Osc F Vol
So using something like Excel you could automate it for most maps.

AttenuationHz

09 Nov 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
09 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
09 Nov 2017

All you need is the scope, Device name and the CTRL.
e.g. however in that example I can only Grab what you can see in that list.

Code: Select all

Scope	RPCX	vst.PhsD.Blue
Map	Device Name		"_Blue"		HOME
Map	Ctrl 1		Volume
Map	Ctrl 2		Port Time
Map	Ctrl 3		Global Transpose
Map	Ctrl 4		Bend Range
Map	Ctrl 5		Osc A Vol
Map	Ctrl 6		Osc B Vol
Map	Ctrl 7		Osc C Vol
Map	Ctrl 8		Osc D Vol
Map	Ctrl 9		Osc E Vol
Map	Ctrl 10		Osc F Vol
So using something like Excel you could automate it for most maps.
You are able to map the old way in the new system! Only difference being the Ctrl value is replaced by the remote value. Some hybrid system would be good for parameters that would be used less often imo. With the pages pre mapped just need to grab the parameters. I was thinking of mapping Q2 like that most of the time you only need to use a few EQ bands and not the 24 available bands.

MrMeeseeks

10 Nov 2017

Hi, I have picked up a p6 today used but mint condition, loving it, only issue I can see so far is when I browse devices from the panorama screen it does not show Grain, Europa etc? I downloaded the latest reason 10 support package from the nektar site, updated firmware etc? what gives?

MrMeeseeks

10 Nov 2017

scrap that, just noticed the r9 and r10 button on screen, solved..

iramrezso

16 Nov 2017

TChandler wrote:
08 Nov 2017
When do we get that update? :)

Emian

21 Nov 2017

just wonder if the older Impact LX series also get an update for Reason 10 ?

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

TChandler

21 Nov 2017

v1.7.0 update should be available now.

AttenuationHz

21 Nov 2017

TChandler wrote:
21 Nov 2017
Link? I'm lazy...

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

21 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Nov 2017
TChandler wrote:
21 Nov 2017
Link? I'm lazy...
Same as on the first post...

http://www.nektartech.com/MY-DOWNLOADS/ ... ds-Windows

AttenuationHz

21 Nov 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
21 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Nov 2017

Link? I'm lazy...
Same as on the first post...

http://www.nektartech.com/MY-DOWNLOADS/ ... ds-Windows
:thumbs_up:

Emian

21 Nov 2017

TChandler wrote:
21 Nov 2017
it still shows version 1.1.2. in my download page .....

AttenuationHz

21 Nov 2017

Emian wrote:
21 Nov 2017
TChandler wrote:
21 Nov 2017
Was the same for me I think but the actual file in the download is 1.7.0

Emian

21 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Nov 2017
Emian wrote:
21 Nov 2017

well i clicked download & after unzipping it was version Impact_Reason_Support_Win_1.1.5 ....

AttenuationHz

22 Nov 2017

Emian wrote:
21 Nov 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
21 Nov 2017

well i clicked download & after unzipping it was version Impact_Reason_Support_Win_1.1.5 ....
Oh sorry your impact bad memory just posted a few ago :lol:

There was a bug fix for panorama I think. I know nothing...

Emian

22 Nov 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
22 Nov 2017
Emian wrote:
21 Nov 2017

Oh sorry your impact bad memory just posted a few ago :lol:

There was a bug fix for panorama I think. I know nothing...
strange, as their homepage DOES say "Nektar Integration update for Reason 9.5 and 10 with VST-instrument access and control" , and shows both a panorama P4 as well as an Impact 49 LX+ (the newer model of my keyboard)...
i really hope they don't drop support on the older models....

if mine eventually broke (alltough i bought is JUST before the LX+ versions came out) i'd probably upgrade to a newer model or a panorama...

Let's wait untill Tim replies :)

TChandler

22 Nov 2017

Hi Emian,

Update 1.7.0 is for Panormaa owners and fixes a problem with menu navigation on legacy devices.

There is no update to the old LX installer planned. However if you contact support we'll look at getting you the LX+ files which will provide the VST support for you.

• Information