THE SUBTRACTOR! A 7 Part Series (w/free ReFill)

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
ZombieFightsShark

07 Nov 2017

Hello all!

I've just completed a seven-part series focusing on the Subtractor!

First thing - here's a link to the free ReFill (over 1,000 Subtractor patches)

The series is intended primarily for newcomers to Reason who want to learn all about the most native of Reason's native synths. Each video focuses on one portion of the Subtractor and goes thru what it is and does. The parts are:

1) Primer - The oscillators

2) The Filters

3) Amp and Filter Envelopes

4) Mod Envelope

5) LFO's

6) Velocity

7) Mod Wheel

Bonus: Lo-fi Cassette Patch (Supplemental)

This is really only a quick overview of each section, but if you've ever wanted to explore a specific portion of the Subtractor, or maybe just didn't quite understand how it worked this might help you get a little clarity.

Please let me know if you'd like to see something more in depth on any specific portion of the Subtractor. I'm always looking for my next project.

Happy Subtracting!
Chad
Last edited by ZombieFightsShark on 07 Nov 2017, edited 1 time in total.

moneykube

07 Nov 2017

thanx for the refill... very nice :puf_wink:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

miscend

07 Nov 2017

Thanks for this!

Bes
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2017

thanks for the refill
- Certified Reason expert

Djstarski

08 Nov 2017

thank you my friend .

ZombieFightsShark

08 Nov 2017

moneykube wrote:thanx for the refill... very nice :puf_wink:
You bet! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlgrimes

08 Nov 2017

ZombieFightsShark wrote:
07 Nov 2017
Hello all!

The series is intended primarily for newcomers to Reason who want to learn all about the most native of Reason's native synths. Each video focuses on one portion of the Subtractor and goes thru what it is and does. The parts are:

2) The Filters

4) Mod Envelope

5) LFO's

6) Velocity

7) Mod Wheel

This is really only a quick overview of each section, but if you've ever wanted to explore a specific portion of the Subtractor, or maybe just didn't quite understand how it worked this might help you get a little clarity.

Please let me know if you'd like to see something more in depth on any specific portion of the Subtractor. I'm always looking for my next project.

Happy Subtracting!
Chad
Thanks.

Subtractor is still a great synthesizer for what it does. It has one of the most inviting GUI's.

decoder

13 Nov 2017

Been watching these over the past few days... Even though this is a 'vintage' Reason synth, there are always new things to learn from it. Thanks for the great series and refill! :puf_bigsmile:

antic604

14 Nov 2017

Very nice! Thanks for doing it & sharing! :)
Are you planning more episodes, on other synths?
I'm just starting my adventure with Reason so those are very handy :)

robthompson

14 Nov 2017

I'm grateful to you, Chad, for taking this on. Your approach is pitched exactly right for someone who's more interested in 'what it does' than 'what it is'.

I've recently been going through one of those times with a piece where no preset in my collection does exactly what I want, but designing one from scratch would take me ages, too. Having never really looked at the Subtractor, I gave it a whirl and was surprised at its ability to provide both some quite good presets and the tools to easily create more.

Thanks again.

strangers
Competition Winner

18 Nov 2017

Thanks for posting these. It's really easy to overlook Subtractor with all the current RE's and VST support. Sometimes going back to the basics inspires new ideas. Your videos got some wheels spinning for me.

superpop

19 Nov 2017

I love substractor. Thank you ZombieFightsShark.

OverneathTheSkyBridg

26 Nov 2017

Its funny I've bought a bunch of synths over the past couple years, but I always find myself going back to Subtractor. Subtractor is the synth that took my synth virginity back in Reason 3. Before that it was Impulse Tracker, but dealing with filters and envelopes was a whole new level for me at the time. It was a great platform to learn synthesis on, and everything about it is just so comfortable. Definitely a milestone synth. Aaaand now I'm gonna watch these videos!

dustmoses

11 Dec 2017

Great job, thanks for putting this out.

fotizimo

11 Dec 2017

ZombieFightsShark wrote:
07 Nov 2017
Hello all!

2) The Filters

4) Mod Envelope

5) LFO's

6) Velocity

7) Mod Wheel

Happy Subtracting!
Chad

Honestly, this is exactly why I love coming back to the Reasontalk community. Nowhere else out there has the people who provide so much back to the community, and get so little in return. I missed this original post, and am so glad I saw this today.

ZombieFightsShark, thank you so much.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

Bumbum

12 Dec 2017

this was very cool! thanks for these

• Information