Reason 10 Sound Banks have to be on C:\ now?!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
MirEko

04 Nov 2017

I have a small SSD for windows 10 and I am happy with this setup.
So I install R10 and now the soundbanks are on my C drive, even though R10 is on the D drive.
Is there any way to move the soundbanks to D?
I dont want them taking up 7GB on my windows drive.
R7 didn't have this problem
:reason: :record: :re: :ignition: :refill: :PUF_take: :PUF_figure:

MirEko

04 Nov 2017

Ok hopefully getting this going using this http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... nsion.html
will report back

Olivier

04 Nov 2017

Yes, this is in part because of how Microsoft wants files to be organized. R7 installed everything with the program. Nowadays though, programs have to be installed in a way that they are multi-user--account aware. When two people use the machine (i.e. both have their own user account), and one has a license for Reason v9, the other v10, then v9 licensee cannot access the v10 content because it is in the v10 licensee's directory structure.

But it can be solved. Personally I prefer to have not only the refills on another disk, but also the added content (klang, humana, etc) and the rack extensions.

How to move Refills, Rack Extensions and added content for Reason 10, on Windows" [Only checked by me on Windows 10]

Note that what i'm describing here is probably not supported by propellerhead. Do at your own risk.

I chose to move the directories holding the files to a new location and put symbolic links that point to the new locations (which are not stanadrd windows shortcuts) back in their place. This way it guaranteed that any new content that is written into that directory, is automatically placed on the new location ;)

On windows 10 the locations are:

"%USERPROFILE%\music\Propellerhead Content" for the new R10 content. It contains both the optional devices and the optional refills..
"%USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Rackextensions" for your rack extensions.
"C:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks" for all the sound banks.

I have moved all these directories to a faster location. In my case "F:\Propellerhead Files"

I then made links using the mklink utility. This is a command line tool that is available with windows 10. To use it start the windows command prompt with administrator preferences.
In my case the commands to link everything back in place are:

mklink /D "c:\Users\Olivier\Music\Propellerhead Content" "f:\Propellerhead Files\Propellerhead Content"
mklink /D "c:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks" "f:\Propellerhead Files\Soundbanks"
mklink /D "c:\users\Olivier\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions" "f:\Propellerhead Files\RackExtensions"

The /D tells mklink to make so called "directory symbolic links".

I hope this helps.

If you prefer to not work with the command prompt, there are several windows shell extension you can install to work with symbolic links. For example this: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... nsion.html

Maybe someone wants to chime in how this is done on a mac ? ;)
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

MirEko

04 Nov 2017

It works! use Junction link

Ottostrom

04 Nov 2017

Thank you so much Olivier! Will definitely do the same on my machine :thumbs_up:

Ottostrom

04 Nov 2017

Ottostrom wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Thank you so much Olivier! Will definitely do the same on my machine :thumbs_up:
One thing to note if you are following Oliviers instructions but get an error that reads "cannot create a file when that file already exists". This refers to the old (for example) Soundbanks FOLDER, which has to be removed before it can create the link folder at the same place.

Ostermilk

04 Nov 2017

Yes it's a shame that users can't choose the locations of Soundbanks, RE's and additional content from the app itself, like you can set the 'Scratch Disk Folder' from Preferences/Advanced.

I've been making requests for this since 6.5 came out. I've also been making links and aliases through the OS since then with no ill effects and once they are setup you can forget about them fortunately. Mind you when I updated to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update the update process killed a couple of 'Junctions' I had setup so I had to re-instate them after that upgrade as well as add the new locations used by the additional content provided by R10.

The Hardlink Shell Extension app on Windows makes the process a cinch if you don't like entering the MkLink commands in a command prompt.

I like to keep my OS partition small as I image it regularly and it's a useful aid to that end and also if you just have a small but fast SSD that you want to keep uncluttered to keep these things off the OS drive.

So it's a bit of a shame we can't have user defined locations but once you get it sorted it's not a show stopper, but bear in mind you probably wouldn't get support if you ran into issues, so be confident with your OS before you start to change locations this way.

kitekrazy

04 Nov 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Yes it's a shame that users can't choose the locations of Soundbanks, RE's and additional content from the app itself, like you can set the 'Scratch Disk Folder' from Preferences/Advanced.

I've been making requests for this since 6.5 came out. I've also been making links and aliases through the OS since then with no ill effects and once they are setup you can forget about them fortunately. Mind you when I updated to Windows 10 Fall Creators Update the update process killed a couple of 'Junctions' I had setup so I had to re-instate them after that upgrade as well as add the new locations used by the additional content provided by R10.

The Hardlink Shell Extension app on Windows makes the process a cinch if you don't like entering the MkLink commands in a command prompt.

I like to keep my OS partition small as I image it regularly and it's a useful aid to that end and also if you just have a small but fast SSD that you want to keep uncluttered to keep these things off the OS drive.

So it's a bit of a shame we can't have user defined locations but once you get it sorted it's not a show stopper, but bear in mind you probably wouldn't get support if you ran into issues, so be confident with your OS before you start to change locations this way.
Reason is still in the dark ages on many things. So does R10 take up 10GB without Mklink?

MirEko

04 Nov 2017

kitekrazy wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Ostermilk wrote:
04 Nov 2017

Reason is still in the dark ages on many things. So does R10 take up 10GB without Mklink?
Well i recovered 15gb by moving my RE, soundbanks, and additional instruments

Psuper

04 Nov 2017

Holy crap are you SERIOUS? That's like "bad dev" 101 if you can't have your files where you want them from the default installation. Work-arounds shouldn't be needed.

Mine have been on my 3rd drive for years, maybe I initially set it up that way I don't recall. Regardless, that's just terribly shoddy dev work this day and age. I'm honestly shocked to read this.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Ostermilk

04 Nov 2017

Psuper wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Holy crap are you SERIOUS? That's like "bad dev" 101 if you can't have your files where you want them from the default installation. Work-arounds shouldn't be needed.

Mine have been on my 3rd drive for years, maybe I initially set it up that way I don't recall. Regardless, that's just terribly shoddy dev work this day and age. I'm honestly shocked to read this.
Was it you bigging up that crappy, unfinished grain based synth for $20 as a better alternative to Grain? In which case the definition of what you'd consider to be shoddy dev work is probably a bit different to mine.

Props ethos has always been to err on the side of simplicity so that folk can just fire up the program and start making music, so I'd suggest that it is more 'by design' than shoddy development. They are certainly aware of it because I've been banging on about it since RE's were introduced in 6.5 and I don't mean here, I mean directly via support as a feature suggestion.

Just because YOU have certain expectations it doesn't guarantee that everybody or even a majority share your views.

Having said all that I don't think allowing users to define content locations is over-complicating things for anyone that can actually double-click a program icon to launch it these days. I think if enough people politely and concisely raised this and other issues Reason has for them we'd be more likely to see better changes going forward, than we will by the almost automatic response that some have on this forum which is to state that the Propellerheads are 'dumb asses' at any given opportunity.

Honestly shocked? Really? Funny because as a I read your post it was no shock at all, in fact it seemed inevitable who the poster was.

Clear as Fog... :puf_bigsmile:

Psuper

04 Nov 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Psuper wrote:
04 Nov 2017

Was it you bigging up that crappy, unfinished grain based synth for $20 as a better alternative to Grain? In which case the definition of what you'd consider to be shoddy dev work is probably a bit different to mine.

Props ethos has always been to err on the side of simplicity so that folk can just fire up the program and start making music, so I'd suggest that it is more 'by design' than shoddy development. They are certainly aware of it because I've been banging on about it since RE's were introduced in 6.5 and I don't mean here, I mean directly via support as a feature suggestion.

Just because YOU have certain expectations it doesn't guarantee that everybody or even a majority share your views.

Having said all that I don't think allowing users to define content locations is over-complicating things for anyone that can actually double-click a program icon to launch it these days. I think if enough people politely and concisely raised this and other issues Reason has for them we'd be more likely to see better changes going forward, than we will by the almost automatic response that some have on this forum which is to state that the Propellerheads are 'dumb asses' at any given opportunity.

Honestly shocked? Really? Funny because as a I read your post it was no shock at all, in fact it seemed inevitable who the poster was.

You don't have to agree with me, but you smell of fanboyism if you seriously don't understand that a simple install routine that almost all software has these days is ALL ABOUT simplicity - one place for your files is as simple as it gets.

And in the spectrum of DAWS where there are gigs of space being taking and used all the time... even more shoddy not to include it.

I give props where it's deserved, offer advice where I can, and am critical when necessary. All you just did was offer a lame apology of sorts for Propellerhead and attempt to smear me. As for you disliking me, I couldn't care less - it's obvious you have some 'thing' for my style.

moneykube

04 Nov 2017

I did notice that I had duplicate soundbanks hidden away on mac os... it had all the 9 banks and the 10 banks as well... all on internal harddrive
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Ostermilk

05 Nov 2017

Psuper wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Ostermilk wrote:
04 Nov 2017

You don't have to agree with me, but you smell of fanboyism if you seriously don't understand that a simple install routine that almost all software has these days is ALL ABOUT simplicity - one place for your files is as simple as it gets.

And in the spectrum of DAWS where there are gigs of space being taking and used all the time... even more shoddy not to include it.

I give props where it's deserved, offer advice where I can, and am critical when necessary. All you just did was offer a lame apology of sorts for Propellerhead and attempt to smear me. As for you disliking me, I couldn't care less - it's obvious you have some 'thing' for my style.
You missed the main bit, where I agree with you over the need for user defined content locations.

As for liking or disliking anyone here I don't even know you, I just think belly-aching here about what I may think is 'shoddy development' is less productive than providing a reasonable and concise description directly to the devs of the problem, in the longer term.

Yes, I love using Reason and I'm on a Reason forum where I guess many others enjoy using it too. Colour me 'fanboy' in that case.

I'll re-iterate again I'd love to see user definable content locations added, but I don't fret about it that much because I'm savvy enough with my OS to already have the content exactly where I want it so in truth it hasn't presented a problem to me since Rack Extensions got introduced when I setup the required links and aliases.

Psuper

05 Nov 2017

Oh I didn't miss the 'attaboy' while you were slandering me. If I make a statement, I've either done my research or been around the block long enough to be confident about my choice of words.

Regardless, when it comes to Propellerhead, little of our advice is productive, no matter the perceived flavor. Propellerhead does what they want in their own time and rarely if ever take a general consensus community feedback.

selig
RE Developer

05 Nov 2017

Psuper wrote:
05 Nov 2017
Oh I didn't miss the 'attaboy' while you were slandering me. If I make a statement, I've either done my research or been around the block long enough to be confident about my choice of words.

Regardless, when it comes to Propellerhead, little of our advice is productive, no matter the perceived flavor. Propellerhead does what they want in their own time and rarely if ever take a general consensus community feedback.
Deep breath everyone - there is no slander here, just a bunch of passionate folks getting all excited about software and expressing their opinions about each other and about how they perceive software developers.
Continue on, but keep it civil (as always), please!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

Psuper

05 Nov 2017

Oh there was, But I agree - there's no need for it here or anywhere. Just nipped it in the bud.

Ostermilk

05 Nov 2017

Slander (where did that come from?... :shock: ) aside... :puf_bigsmile:

The OP has already solved this pretty simple issue, with the information given on how to set up your own locations which is the real meat of the topic. It's clearly easy enough to do for those having difficulty managing without a provided button.

The answer to the question posed in the topic then, is that Reason 10 Sound Banks don't have to be on C:\ but we'd like the Props to add location options in the program.

:D

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

22 Nov 2017

Olivier wrote:
04 Nov 2017
Yes, this is in part because of how Microsoft wants files to be organized. R7 installed everything with the program. Nowadays though, programs have to be installed in a way that they are multi-user--account aware. When two people use the machine (i.e. both have their own user account), and one has a license for Reason v9, the other v10, then v9 licensee cannot access the v10 content because it is in the v10 licensee's directory structure.

But it can be solved. Personally I prefer to have not only the refills on another disk, but also the added content (klang, humana, etc) and the rack extensions.

How to move Refills, Rack Extensions and added content for Reason 10, on Windows" [Only checked by me on Windows 10]

Note that what i'm describing here is probably not supported by propellerhead. Do at your own risk.

I chose to move the directories holding the files to a new location and put symbolic links that point to the new locations (which are not stanadrd windows shortcuts) back in their place. This way it guaranteed that any new content that is written into that directory, is automatically placed on the new location ;)

"%USERPROFILE%\music\Propellerhead Content" for the new R10 content. It contains both the optional devices and the optional refills..
"%USERPROFILE%\Appdata\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\Rackextensions" for your rack extensions.

I have moved all these directories to a faster location. In my case "F:\Propellerhead Files"

I then made links using the mklink utility. This is a command line tool that is available with windows 10. To use it start the windows command prompt with administrator preferences.

mklink /D "c:\Users\Olivier\Music\Propellerhead Content" "f:\Propellerhead Files\Propellerhead Content"
mklink /D "c:\ProgramData\Propellerhead Software\Soundbanks" "f:\Propellerhead Files\Soundbanks"
mklink /D "c:\users\Olivier\AppData\Roaming\Propellerhead Software\RackExtensions" "f:\Propellerhead Files\RackExtensions"

I hope this helps.

If you prefer to not work with the command prompt, there are several windows shell extension you can install to work with symbolic links. For example this: http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshel ... nsion.html

Sorry to dig this thread up but I've tried doing this and can create the link (after deleting the original content from the C drive) but when I open Reason it immediately stops with a pop up saying there is a Write Error and it goes no further. If I reverse everything Reason works fine but I'm left with a chuck of SSD memory eaten up by the extra content.

Any thoughts on why Reason wouldn't like this?

Grum.

demt

22 Nov 2017

simple as copy n paste 1 4 me
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

kuhliloach

22 Nov 2017

I'm with Psuper. Bad Dev 101 is now status quo with this company. The quality of development has become inexcusable to the point where I could not recommend Reason to a new user.

I still love it -- now that I've taken the years needed to understand it! I hope Props understands that giving users the ability to install content where they like is among the most basic of critical software requirements.

Grumbleweed
Competition Winner

23 Nov 2017

Grumbleweed wrote:
22 Nov 2017
Olivier wrote:
04 Nov 2017

I hope this helps.

Sorry to dig this thread up but I've tried doing this and can create the link (after deleting the original content from the C drive) but when I open Reason it immediately stops with a pop up saying there is a Write Error and it goes no further. If I reverse everything Reason works fine but I'm left with a chuck of SSD memory eaten up by the extra content.

Any thoughts on why Reason wouldn't like this?

Grum.
It came to me what I've done wrong just a moment ago - my drive is E not F, so copying the above but only changing the user name was never going to work.
Silly me!

Grum.

demt

23 Nov 2017

There again I copied the operating system after deleting everything in docements etc
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

moalla

13 Sep 2022

Thanks for this hint Olivier, people don´t forget the quotation marks before and after the directorys when you set a redirection, otherwise it shows a syntax error :puf_wink:
Now Reason becomes more and more a hard drive eater :o
https://soundcloud.com/user-594407128
Reason12.5, Yamaha EG112, Ibanez PF10, RhythmWolf, Miniak, Ipad+SparkLE
SE2200t :arrow: VAS micpre MOTO:better repair-mod well made stuff than buy the next crap

• Information