MusicRadar's 2017 Best DAW Poll - Reason in 4th place

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Reasonistas
RE Developer

01 Nov 2017

Congratulations Propellerhead Software for making it to 4th place in MusicRadar's annual best DAW poll.

1. Image-Line FL Studio
2. Ableton Live
3. Steinberg Cubase Pro
4. Propellerhead Software Reason
5. Apple Logic Pro
6. Cockos Reaper
7. PreSonus Studio One
8. Cakewalk Sonar
9. Avid Pro Tools
10. Bitwig Studio
11. Acoustica Mixcraft Pro Studio
12. Renoise
13. MuTools MuLab
14. Magix Samplitude Pro X
15. Steinberg Nuendo
16. MOTU Digital Performer
17. Apple GarageBand
18. Ardour
19. Tracktion Software Waveform
20. Magix Acid

http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/ ... day-238905
iFGYBrrQnixTXQ9tkGMMtC-650-80.jpg
iFGYBrrQnixTXQ9tkGMMtC-650-80.jpg (60.56 KiB) Viewed 5142 times
ImageImageImage

sublunar

01 Nov 2017

Surprised by flstudio taking #1. I couldn't dump that program fast enough when I finally upgraded to Reason. I used flstudio a ton back in the day but grew to hate just about everything about it.

GRIFTY

01 Nov 2017

that's what a pro-consumer business stance does for public opinion. i'll be they still don't make as much money as ableton though

Loque

01 Nov 2017

Wow... Cubase is before Reason... Lol
Reason12, Win10

raymondh

01 Nov 2017

sublunar wrote:
01 Nov 2017
Surprised by flstudio taking #1. I couldn't dump that program fast enough when I finally upgraded to Reason. I used flstudio a ton back in the day but grew to hate just about everything about it.
I left Reason v1 for a while and only used FL Studio for a year. I really liked it. Found it much faster to build rhythms and riffs than Reason, and using free VSTs, my tracks sounded much better than using the “in the box” Reason sound. But all my tracks sounded like a collection of patterns, unlike the more linear workflow of Reason.
Both products have grown and changed a lot of course, now I find FL convoluted, and Reason awesome.

QVprod

01 Nov 2017

sublunar wrote:
01 Nov 2017
Probably has the most users. A lot of the hiphop, or more so trap beat makers use it because they never heard of anything else other than Pro Tools.

antic604

01 Nov 2017

It's a popularity contest, not best-off. And FL is heavily pirated...

Aosta

01 Nov 2017

Same every year seen as FL is the most cracked DAW on the planet followed by Ableton and then Cubase. Fanboys will upvote them.
This poll has always been utterly meaningless as a gage of the 'best'.
Tend the flame

deepndark

02 Nov 2017

But 4th place is a good place tbh. and as Reason can't be pirated, that makes it even more valued. Ha Logic lost to Reason!!! :mrgreen:

Olivier

02 Nov 2017

That poll is about as interesting as this list of fruits..
  • apple
  • banana
  • berry
  • grape
  • mango
  • lemon
  • kiwi
  • watermelon
  • tomato
  • orange
:reason: V9 | i7 5930 | Motu 828 MK3 | Win 10

Loque

02 Nov 2017

Olivier wrote:
02 Nov 2017
That poll is about as interesting as this list of fruits..
  • apple
  • banana
  • berry
  • grape
  • mango
  • lemon
  • kiwi
  • watermelon
  • tomato
  • orange
Which fruit is the best? Considering features and workflow and juicyness? We should make a poll.
Reason12, Win10

Innerst

02 Nov 2017

Aosta wrote:
01 Nov 2017
Same every year seen as FL is the most cracked DAW on the planet followed by Ableton and then Cubase. Fanboys will upvote them.
This poll has always been utterly meaningless as a gage of the 'best'.
Following this logic, that Reason is hard to crack, could mean that fanboys voted up Reason to 4th place :) That would be the kind of people frequenting this forum :lol:

Or could there be something else behind these numbers? What about love?!? Could it be that the average Reason user is more passionate about the DAW of choice and more inclined to answer the poll. Reason IS special, right? Now I am also being a fanboy :)

motuscott

02 Nov 2017

kiwi should be higher
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

EpiGenetik

02 Nov 2017

Among the producers and users that I respect, and what you generally see on the web amongst folks who know what they're talking about it's pretty clear where the real positions are. It should be -

1== ProTools
1== Logic
3== Reason
3== Live
.....and just about nothing else registers. Cubase (formerly part of "the big 3") has fallen off the radar these days and very few people admit to using FLStudio (an ode to piracy?). Surprising to see that Reaper isn't number one anymore as their userbase are among the most vocal crazed fanboys on the web.

EnochLight

02 Nov 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:
02 Nov 2017
Among the producers and users that I respect, and what you generally see on the web amongst folks who know what they're talking about it's pretty clear where the real positions are. It should be -

1== ProTools
Should it?

Sure, studios and recording engineers use Pro Tools, but everyone else - actual musicians, artists, song writers... they use other DAW. Frankly, Pro Tools is just no nearly as fun to use as Logic, Reason, Live, FL Studio, etc.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Goodbye

02 Nov 2017

apple
banana
berry
grape
mango
lemon
kiwi
watermelon
tomato
orange
I would have voted for grape, but the crop this year was poor. The skins are all dry and shrivelled. The farmers need to take more care - add some fertilizer, prune the vines - fix the holes in the fences so the animals don't get in. It's a shame because I really like grapes.

kitekrazy

02 Nov 2017

sublunar wrote:
01 Nov 2017
It wins every year. Not sure why anyone would be surprised. I was more surprised with Reason at 4. This is a popularity contest. Glad to see some Reason users put in their votes.

kitekrazy

02 Nov 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:
02 Nov 2017

1== ProTools
1== Logic
3== Reason
3== Live
.....and just about nothing else registers. Cubase (formerly part of "the big 3") has fallen off the radar these days and very few people admit to using FLStudio (an ode to piracy?). Surprising to see that Reaper isn't number one anymore as their userbase are among the most vocal crazed fanboys on the web.
LOL! Let the fanboy fodder begin.

O1B

02 Nov 2017

With the addition of VSTs, Reason should have been #1 this year.
No other DAW upgrade can compete with that.

Reason now has FabFilter, Selig Audio, and GRAIN.
Buss that, homeboy.

kitekrazy

02 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
02 Nov 2017
EpiGenetik wrote:
02 Nov 2017

1== ProTools
Should it?

Sure, studios and recording engineers use Pro Tools, but everyone else - actual musicians, artists, song writers... they use other DAW. Frankly, Pro Tools is just no nearly as fun to use as Logic, Reason, Live, FL Studio, etc.
Film composers would rank Cubase as #1.

I find it funny that so many people suffer insecurity issues when it comes to choices of DAWs.

EpiGenetik

08 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
02 Nov 2017
EpiGenetik wrote:
02 Nov 2017

1== ProTools
Should it?

Actually I ranked those two highest out of the constant high regard that both of them are held in. I personally don't use either, and have no plans at all to start.

The comment is meant more as a statement that the rankings we see here don't reflect "the word on the street", or at least not any streets I hang around on anyway.

EpiGenetik

08 Nov 2017

kitekrazy wrote:
02 Nov 2017
They would? Any resources you can point to which agree with this?

kitekrazy

08 Nov 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:
08 Nov 2017
kitekrazy wrote:
02 Nov 2017
https://vi-control.net/community/ Even the famous Hans Zimmer posts there and uses Cubase.

kitekrazy

08 Nov 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:
08 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
02 Nov 2017

Should it?

Actually I ranked those two highest out of the constant high regard that both of them are held in. I personally don't use either, and have no plans at all to start.

The comment is meant more as a statement that the rankings we see here don't reflect "the word on the street", or at least not any streets I hang around on anyway.
Then you need to get out more.

EpiGenetik

09 Nov 2017

kitekrazy wrote:
08 Nov 2017
EpiGenetik wrote:
08 Nov 2017

https://vi-control.net/community/ Even the famous Hans Zimmer posts there and uses Cubase.
Not particularly strong evidence for a number of reasons, but thanks for your efforts anyway.

• Information