Propellerhead Releases Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

26 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017

I can - almost every scenario in my world!

Again, this will work - but what if your velocities are not all the same? If you record two handed piano, and want to mute the left hand, I would assume the velocities are not all the same across the board except for rare cases for most folks.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Swipe the pencil where you want the velocity.

Or use f8 > Note velocity > add random.

I do this all the time.
Don’t know if you’re intentionally ignoring my point (or I’m not being clear enough) - you can’t restore all the various velocities with your technique. You end up with all velocities at the same level! That’s not how “I” play piano…I’m not THAT good!

Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

26 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017
sublunar wrote:
Swipe the pencil where you want the velocity.

Or use f8 > Note velocity > add random.

I do this all the time.
Don’t know if you’re intentionally ignoring my point - you can’t restore all the various velocities with your technique. You end up with all velocities at the same level! That’s not how “I” play piano…I’m not THAT good!

Don't know if you're intentionally ignoring the fact that the pencil tool doesn't move in a straight line, it goes where you draw it. You certainly don't end up with all velocities at the same level unless your mouse hand is as steady and straight as a ruler. That's not how I mouse, I'm not THAT good!

:P

sublunar

26 Oct 2017

Now if you want to point out the fact that you're not restoring them to 100% EXACT life or death perfect to the original velocities... then yes. You aren't getting that.

If you want/need them to be exact then don't fuck with em. If you're not going to kill yourself over a couple point difference but want it to be as close as possible, take a screenshot before you change em.

This is how I've been editing all my MIDI and I've never had a problem or regretted changing the velocity. Never needed a MIDI mute button. Your ears should tell you where the velocity should go if the pencil or f8 method didn't get you there.

selig
RE Developer

26 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:Now if you want to point out the fact that you're not restoring them to 100% EXACT life or death perfect to the original velocities... then yes. You aren't getting that.

If you want/need them to be exact then don't fuck with em. If you're not going to kill yourself over a couple point difference but want it to be as close as possible, take a screenshot before you change em.

This is how I've been editing all my MIDI and I've never had a problem or regretted changing the velocity. Your ears should tell you where the velocity should go if the pencil or f8 method didn't get you there.
I think we’re totally talking past each other. Maybe someone else can explain how you might end up with velocities that are not all the same better than I can - especially when recording piano parts. A screen shot approach is going to take hours to restore! Maybe I’m just one of the few who doesn’t have all velocities at the same level on my note tracks?

Selig Audio, LLC

ARAlife

26 Oct 2017

I just saw that Radical Piano, Humana, Sound, Pangea and Loop / Drum Supply have a separate download.

Now my question is whether they will be preserved forever in Reason? or will be removed in future ...such as Line 6. :puf_unhappy:

or is it only for reason 10 and no longer for reason Xx?

Hopefully MattiasHG or anyone else can give an answer.

Goriila Texas

26 Oct 2017

Upgraded,I think this is the first update to bring over previous settings,I didn't have to load my default folder this time. I wish they would fix the issue when you have two version on your computer they make you login everytime you switch versions. I will deleting V9 for this reason. $129 ain't nothing for all you get with the upgrade. Plus Reason is what I compose in now 100%.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2017

ARAlife wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Now my question is whether they will be preserved forever in Reason? or will be removed in future ...such as Line 6. :puf_unhappy:
Line 6 was developed by another company who was bought out by Yamaha (who own Cubase). It was not developed like REs where it was forwards compatible.

So there is no reason to think that Line 6 is any indication that these will be lost from Reason.

sublunar

26 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Maybe I’m just one of the few who doesn’t have all velocities at the same level on my note tracks?
Yeah I'm not sure why you think the velocities would all be the same? Pencil tool, swiping across the velocities left to right up and down and it forms a wave. Adjust the wave, my friend. Adjust only those intended by selecting them and using shift when swiping across velocities. You are only changing the selected notes as you swipe. Up and down movement of the wrist makes the magic happen.

Option #3.
Duplicate the track with the notes that MUST RETAIN original velocity. Do your weird stuff to the notes you want to bork. When done borking, copy + Paste back the original notes\velocities.

We're talking basic MIDI editing here, I don't think I'm saying anything controversial.

selig
RE Developer

26 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Maybe I’m just one of the few who doesn’t have all velocities at the same level on my note tracks?
Yeah I'm not sure why you think the velocities would all be the same? Pencil tool, swiping across the velocities left to right up and down and it forms a wave. Adjust the wave, my friend. Adjust only those intended by selecting them and using shift when swiping across velocities. You are only changing the selected notes as you swipe. Up and down movement of the wrist makes the magic happen.

Option #3.
Duplicate the track with the notes that MUST RETAIN original velocity. Do your weird stuff to the notes you want to bork. When done borking, copy + Paste back the original notes\velocities.

We're talking basic MIDI editing here, I don't think I'm saying anything controversial.
You are the one suggesting all velocities would be the same. I’m the one who records from a MIDI controller and want to keep the velocities intact.

Other’s already suggested duplicating the track - it’s what I do currently. The issue is that these are ALL workarounds for something many here (including myself) feel should be able to be done in one way or another without workarounds. That’s the gist of it, anyway.
:)

Selig Audio, LLC

EnochLight

26 Oct 2017

botnotbot wrote:
26 Oct 2017
As a brand new Reason user I just want to add a bit of a different perspective on the content update so soon after the VST support. Now, obviously I haven't had much time to become cynical with Propellerheads yet, so it might be overly optimistic, but here's my interpretation.

Props took the single largest factor keeping me from really trying Reason and smashed it in three exciting ways.

Let me explain.

Earlier this year I had cause to doubt my choice of DAW and decided to shop around. I demoed many of them but I didn't try Reason (I'm glad I didn't by the way, as I would have burned my 30-day demo in a less compelling context).

The pre-9.5 walled garden of Reason presented me with this option: for 350 euros I could trade all my existing investment into VSTs for a small handful of instruments and effects, all of them entering or had entered a relatively mature age for music software. Rack Extensions provided a means to mitigate this and some of them seemed quite cool, but starting another plugin collection from scratch was not appealing to me at all.

Then they introduced VST support. My curiosity was piqued.

Then they announced a new version with a significant expansion of native instruments. I decided I would try a demo when it arrived.

Then they announced the RE subscriptions. Being able to really explore the crazy potential of all these rackable devices without spending money on (non-resellable) plugins absolutely destroys what was earlier a huge barrier of entry for me: I didn't want to land in Reason and start spending heaps of money on plugins.

For 20 euros a month, I've got a 1000 euro budget _and_ I can swap something back if a few months from now I feel we don't belong together.

So yeah, something that was pretty inconceivable 9-10 months ago (me becoming a Reason user) has come to pass through what was to me clear signaling that Props wants to make as many users (and potential users) as happy as possible.

Now, my next highest "reason not to try Reason" after the 'walled garden full of potentially ruinous wonders' was the 'damn I am leaning pretty close to this screen right now'. In fact I never made it beyond my first 30 or so minutes with the Reason 8 demo on this iMac 5K.

However, with the 9.5 demo and all the fun I've had with it I've been willing to look past this for now. I saw the introduction of two new native rack devices as evidence that they've finally got their next-level internal rack API all ironed out and ready to go.

So personally I'm primed for a similar three-punch knockout with regards to graphics, but I certainly wouldn't be mad if they addressed the long-term user's workflow grievances first.
That's pretty cool insight - thanks for posting this. That said, about working on your 5K iMac... have you tried the built-in OSX zoom? It works just as awesome as Windows zoom does, or at least very similar to this:

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

AttenuationHz

26 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
26 Oct 2017
selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017

Don’t know if you’re intentionally ignoring my point - you can’t restore all the various velocities with your technique. You end up with all velocities at the same level! That’s not how “I” play piano…I’m not THAT good!

Don't know if you're intentionally ignoring the fact that the pencil tool doesn't move in a straight line, it goes where you draw it. You certainly don't end up with all velocities at the same level unless your mouse hand is as steady and straight as a ruler. That's not how I mouse, I'm not THAT good!

Pencil CTRL.gif
Pencil CTRL.gif (579.72 KiB) Viewed 3928 times
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

ARAlife

26 Oct 2017

avasopht wrote:
26 Oct 2017
ARAlife wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Line 6 was developed by another company who was bought out by Yamaha (who own Cubase). It was not developed like REs where it was forwards compatible.

So there is no reason to think that Line 6 is any indication that these will be lost from Reason.

Maybe you are right, but why do not Europa and Grain need to be downloaded separately?

In reason 9 (I think) we got Audiomatic and Pulsar and they did not have to load separately, but Radical Piano needed it

I find it just a bit strange why it is an extra download.

...illuminati confirmed :o :lol: :P

EnochLight

26 Oct 2017

ARAlife wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Maybe you are right, but why do not Europa and Grain need to be downloaded separately?

In reason 9 (I think) we got Audiomatic and Pulsar and they did not have to load separately, but Radical Piano needed it

I find it just a bit strange why it is an extra download.

...illuminati confirmed :o :lol: :P
Europa and Grain are meant to be "always-included" native devices and small by comparison. Radical Piano is massive by comparison, so offering it as an optional download makes sense, especially seeing as how not everyone may need/want another piano instrument. Why force people to use up their storage space or download an instrument that they may not want/need?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EnochLight

26 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
26 Oct 2017
sublunar wrote:
26 Oct 2017

Pencil CTRL.gif
Pencil CTRL.gif (579.72 KiB) Viewed 3917 times
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I was about to say... CTRL is your friend! ;)

Oquasec

26 Oct 2017

trying to remember how to only do that for selected notes... might be shift in reason
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

QVprod

26 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017
QVprod wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Actually Flex pitch is a Logic X feature. Logic 9 did not have it.
July 2013. 4 years ago and I bet it's polyphonic lol!
Actually it's monophonic. And you missed that plenty of other DAWs including the "industry standard" still don't have it built in.

In contrast I can also say Logic got Track Stacks in 2013. Reason has had a combinator since 2005. That's an 8 year difference for something so "basic" as layering sounds. Just about every keyboard workstation since the 90's (if not before) has had a combi feature for layering sounds... Sounds like a silly comparison right?
Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017
QVprod wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Also that "basic" feature you mention of muting notes may be a big deal for you, but it isn't a big deal for everybody. Those
Stuff like tabbing to do track labels is useful, but again not necessarily a big deal unless labeling multiple tracks in one shot is part of your workflow. I personally only need to do that when recording audio, which is something I never do in Reason. Otherwise I label as I go.
And if you don't want muting notes.....don't use it. I'm surprised anybody here upgrades Reason because it hasn't needed a single feature since 2012 from what everyone says.
You missed my point here. It wasn't about not wanting muted notes. Your original comment to me was basically that it was ok for Logic to have a content upgrade but not Reason because it wasn't lacking basic features. My point is that feature's that you feel are "basic" and necessary aren't necessary for everyone. Never said Reason can't benefit from new features. Of course I don't believe that, else I wouldn't use multiple DAWs. Reason just isn't so lacking that it can't have a content upgrade.

Kenni
Site Admin

27 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
AttenuationHz wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Pencil CTRL.gif
[emoji38] [emoji38] [emoji38]

I was about to say... CTRL is your friend! ;)
Ctrl+Shift+pencil is even more cool :)

Sendt fra min SM-G950F med Tapatalk

Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Adabler
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2017

The velocity is important to the "feel" a player adds to the music that's being recorded, that's why people want to keep the original values. If you also want to see the bass part while editing, muting would make this a little easier. That said, I never thought of my method of doing this as a workaround until I read this thread. Since it is not important for me to see the notes in relation to each other within the same lane, I'm fine with the way things are now, but I now understand how muting could be something someone would want.
:reason: 12, Win10

moneykube

27 Oct 2017

you will need a new driver from digidesign/avid if you have such a controller... says untested... but works fine on mac... lol... still using a digi 002
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

RoryM0

27 Oct 2017

EnochLight wrote:
26 Oct 2017
botnotbot wrote:
26 Oct 2017
As a brand new Reason user I just want to add a bit of a different perspective on the content update so soon after the VST support. Now, obviously I haven't had much time to become cynical with Propellerheads yet, so it might be overly optimistic, but here's my interpretation.

Props took the single largest factor keeping me from really trying Reason and smashed it in three exciting ways.

Let me explain.

Earlier this year I had cause to doubt my choice of DAW and decided to shop around. I demoed many of them but I didn't try Reason (I'm glad I didn't by the way, as I would have burned my 30-day demo in a less compelling context).

The pre-9.5 walled garden of Reason presented me with this option: for 350 euros I could trade all my existing investment into VSTs for a small handful of instruments and effects, all of them entering or had entered a relatively mature age for music software. Rack Extensions provided a means to mitigate this and some of them seemed quite cool, but starting another plugin collection from scratch was not appealing to me at all.

Then they introduced VST support. My curiosity was piqued.

Then they announced a new version with a significant expansion of native instruments. I decided I would try a demo when it arrived.

Then they announced the RE subscriptions. Being able to really explore the crazy potential of all these rackable devices without spending money on (non-resellable) plugins absolutely destroys what was earlier a huge barrier of entry for me: I didn't want to land in Reason and start spending heaps of money on plugins.

For 20 euros a month, I've got a 1000 euro budget _and_ I can swap something back if a few months from now I feel we don't belong together.

So yeah, something that was pretty inconceivable 9-10 months ago (me becoming a Reason user) has come to pass through what was to me clear signaling that Props wants to make as many users (and potential users) as happy as possible.

Now, my next highest "reason not to try Reason" after the 'walled garden full of potentially ruinous wonders' was the 'damn I am leaning pretty close to this screen right now'. In fact I never made it beyond my first 30 or so minutes with the Reason 8 demo on this iMac 5K.

However, with the 9.5 demo and all the fun I've had with it I've been willing to look past this for now. I saw the introduction of two new native rack devices as evidence that they've finally got their next-level internal rack API all ironed out and ready to go.

So personally I'm primed for a similar three-punch knockout with regards to graphics, but I certainly wouldn't be mad if they addressed the long-term user's workflow grievances first.
That's pretty cool insight - thanks for posting this. That said, about working on your 5K iMac... have you tried the built-in OSX zoom? It works just as awesome as Windows zoom does, or at least very similar to this:

Yes I'd also like to thank you for posting this insight. I too am a fairly new user, I was shopping round for music software earlier in the year, tried Bitwig, looked at Maschine, Renoise, dabbled with a few other things, then was demoing Reason 9.2 around the time 9.5 was announced. Loved it, bought 9.5 and started a collection of RE's! Am now using Reason and RE's with a few VST's here and there as my main creative music software, with a bit of Reaper too when detailed audio work is required.

Reason really feels like an instrument to me, a studio, with some DAW functionality built in. I use it for what it is, not what I think it should be. Adding VST's was a great move I think, and Reason 10 has got loads of great stuff in it (not upgraded yet, will do before end of the year) for new users and existing ones, and the RE subscription seems like a positive idea to get people flexible access to tonnes of quality DSP for not much money at all.

I found this community after becoming interested in Reason, I joined in June and visit regularly but have posted only on a couple of occasions, but I feel like there is a lot of negativity on here whenever I visit, and am teaching myself to visit less often (atm it's like a habit, open browser, go to Reasontalk first, then email, hardcore, etc.) because I'm a bit bored of the gigantic moan-gasm that this forum sometimes appears to be.

I've invested in Reason so I'd of course like to see it flourish further and gain new users and improve, but if you can't make your music with what you've got here you've gone wrong in the mind more than anyone has gone wrong in the mind ever previously. Delia Derbyshire and the BBC Radiophonic Workshop made the original Doctor Who theme with just a some test tone oscillators, a white noise source, a single string attached to a bit of wood, a tape recorder and a razor blade. We have all of this functionality and moar.

QVprod

27 Oct 2017

RoryM0 wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Reason really feels like an instrument to me, a studio, with some DAW functionality built in. I use it for what it is, not what I think it should be.
This right here is key. Whole reason people get so frustrated over features is this. Makes no sense to get upset that a screwdriver isn't a hammer. Everything has it's own use.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

27 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017
JiggeryPokery wrote:
26 Oct 2017

I hate to be "that guy" (ok, I quite like being "that guy" ;) ), but that function has been in Reason for years. Many, many years.

F8 > Extract Notes to Lanes.

Then mute the new lane that just has the bass notes. Ta-Da! :shock:
So the notes aren't in the same clip so you can't see them all?
Cheeky! You added that bit of the request in a subsequent post I didn't see until now. :redface:

Ok, with that addition to the workflow you're describing, you're absolutely right. Sorry!

I totally, 100% agree. In fact that has always been one of the top, top frustrations about the Reason sequencer (and I mostly love the Reason sequencer): the lack of any ability to view two tracks to get any kind of context, or, in your scenario, where you want a function just like "Extract Notes to Lane" but Muting the selected note range. That would be very useful. It's also something akin to the long-asked-for "ghost notes".

These are the kinds of things major Reason updates should be doing, but the internal focus seem to be solely on grabbing new users with bold headlines about content. :puf_unhappy: Reason 10.x is looking more and more like make-or-break release in terms of whether it offers any enhanced functions. But given the lack of attention to finer details in large swathes of Reason 10s content (Kong pads with Congas labelled as Toms, no legato on a choir etc etc),, my big fear is that any active enhancement in a point release will also be equally half-arsed. I'm aware of issues reported by Test Pilots months ago and being roundly ignored and making it to release.

So right now, if there was an option to mute notes above or below C3 were added, there's a good chance there would be no option to unmute it (cf Manage Content).

Most Reason releases get a lot of complaints, many are unjustified, some are. But remember Reason 9 did add "Drag note from start"!, which let's face it, has made life a lot easier (although I find I am accidentally double-clicking and deleting notes just a little too often, but it's not so bad it's actively frustrating). There isn't even that level of detail in R10.0. So 10.x needs something.

I think there are three useful additions needed here.

I totally get your "Mute Note Range in Lane". It's obvious once you'd explained it, and it would be very handy.

I still think there's mileage in Ghost Notes, an ability to view another Track's clip, at the same timeline position, in the current open clip. (It would probably look a little like non-active notes from a previous/subsequent clip currently do when they overlap an active clip, but it would need a way to distinguish from overlapped clip's note on the same track).

And lastly, and it kind of pains me to say it given my long-standing hatred for masses of floaty windows, but given we're in a VST era now ... ;) The ability to right-click any clip (at least MIDI, but audio would be useful too) and select "Open Track in New Window". That would open a new window per track with its own mini-sequencer that could be resized, and include all the use tools. It would remember the last Track Window position. It would track the main sequencer clip/playhead. Potentially you would be able to open as many track windows as you like, but I'd guess that mostly even just one window, as a compositional reference for things like bass line or current chord, would have saved a lot of people a lot of hassle.

It's still not too late to add this stuff, if there is any desire left to make the program more flexible.

Reasonable man

27 Oct 2017

Been dabbling in Reason for two years. Only descorved yesterday that 'alt' clicking a rack paramenter (on a mac) lights it up green and subsequently brings up the sequencer automation lane (even if you aint got the seq window open!) . Right clicking on a mac pro is tedious but at least i dont have to do it for automation no more!

Reminiscence

27 Oct 2017

Do you need an ignition key to install Reason 10? My installation gives me an error: Ignition key driver could not be started. Contacted support already.

Loque

27 Oct 2017

Reminiscence wrote:
27 Oct 2017
Do you need an ignition key to install Reason 10? My installation gives me an error: Ignition key driver could not be started. Contacted support already.
Re-install of the Authorizer solves 95% of all problems: https://www.propellerheads.se/support/u ... -download/

After my last Windows update, i needed to restart the service manually once. Than everything was fine.
Reason12, Win10

• Information