Learning to clear up a mix - Pickfair Drive

This forum is for sharing your Reason creations with the rest of the community. If you post a song expecting feedback please take time to leave some for others.
Forum rules
Remember to begin your thread subject with a genre, ie.: (Hiphop) New instrumental
Marketblandings

19 Jan 2015

Testing out the new music posting area with a new version of something I posted before - only this time, I have learned how to really clear up a complicated mix. It only took hundreds of hours! :s0221:

Marketblandings

20 Jan 2015

Last Alternative wrote:EPIC SIGNATURE! Kitchen?! Streets?! WTF kinda bullsh was he trying to say!!! LOL

I like the jazzy freestyle vibe of this. Lots going on here. It gets kinda weird in parts but makes sense in the end. It's what I'd expect to hear at a weird bar in Mexico or Italy. And.... that probably made no sense.

Thanks for liking! I can maybe clear up the weirdness a bit.
This is meant to be children's music. When I was a kid (before the dawn of time), there was a sub-genre of modern classical music that was meant for kids.
Like the short piece "The Runaway Rocking Horse". It's clever, descriptive, cute but also... sophisticated. (Prolly on YouTube).
I decided to take a stab at that genre but updating it to today.

Marketblandings

20 Jan 2015

Here it is. The Runaway Rocking Horse.
My piece is ham-fisted by comparison........

http://youtu.be/24TMFNlBdF8

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

Last Alternative wrote: It's what I'd expect to hear at a weird bar in Mexico or Italy.
As I was being kidnapped…
Seriously love this kind of stuff.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Benedict
Competition Winner

20 Jan 2015

Interesting music. Lot of this sort of thing in the mid 80s as samplers and MIDI took over. Always lots to discover with multiple listens.

Maybe it is just me but it feels like the mix isn't balanced, like it is heavier on the right. While that shouldn't matter, I'm finding it off-putting and I'm not sure why. Tis clear though.

:)
Benedict Roff-Marsh
Completely burned and gone

motuscott

20 Jan 2015

Benedict wrote:Interesting music. Lot of this sort of thing in the mid 80s as samplers and MIDI took over.
Holy déjà vu, Batman.
I remember them days. Rules was broke.
Was only listening, played only drum kit at the time.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Marketblandings

20 Jan 2015

Benedict wrote:Interesting music. Lot of this sort of thing in the mid 80s as samplers and MIDI took over. Always lots to discover with multiple listens.

Maybe it is just me but it feels like the mix isn't balanced, like it is heavier on the right. While that shouldn't matter, I'm finding it off-putting and I'm not sure why. Tis clear though.

That concerns me. I definitely had that left right balance in mind all along. This makes me suspect a phase problem in there somewhere giving off that stuffy head on one side feel.
Will check.

• Information