Propellerhead Releases Reason 10

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
tumar

26 Oct 2017

Can I install R10 trial beside my R9.5?

EnochLight

26 Oct 2017

tumar wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Yes.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

selig
RE Developer

26 Oct 2017

stratatonic wrote:
26 Oct 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
25 Oct 2017

:lol: :lol: :lol: Just until Halloween is over at least!
It's getting frightening around here... :shock: :o :shock:
Crayons of Doom - love it! Coloring will never be the same…
;)
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

26 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017

Yeah but Logic didn't need countless features like Reason.
Says who? Logic X has actually gotten countless feature upgrades in the last couple years. Who says they weren't necessary? One could also argue that Reason doesn't need the things you want it to have. I would wager for most people with professional or even hobbyist uses, their choice DAW does everything they need it to do. New features are simply enhancements to that experience. For what it doesn't do, there are other options should we really need the functionality.
Yeah but it didn't lack basic functionality. It's had pitch correction (Flex Pitch) for instance since (I think) Logic Pro 9, may have been 8, but 9 came out in 2010 (7 years ago) and that's not a basic feature like muting a midi note, changing a midi clip within the same midi editor or tabbing to label next track etc. Just don't get it. Can't sync (or the browsers) the windows on the fly, have to do it manually, ok, that's a solution but I'd much prefer it to be more intuitive. Some of these things really niggle me sometimes. When you're trying to work out a piano / synth melody in the midi editor for instance and you need to just mute the bass part (of the same clip) so you can focus on what the upper notes are doing (as you're not quite getting the melody relationship of the upper notes and bass notes quite right). A friend said just delete the bass part, well that's not muting it is it. That's like saying if you and a friend are trying to talk during the adverts in a TV show and you can't hear each other properly, don't mute the tele with the remote, turn the tele off. Well yeah you could do, but you wouldn't know when your programme was coming back on. Just shaving a few of these tiny features off (for me quite a long list) in Reason 10 would've at least sweetened things over for people who wanted actual features and not just synths, which considering we had VST support only a few months ago has perplexed me as to why that was important?

I did however download the demo last night and must say, they are VERY VERY GOOD! Very badass sounding. The drum loops are top drawer too. Very impressed with the quality of those babies.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Adabler
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017
When you're trying to work out a piano / synth melody in the midi editor for instance and you need to just mute the bass part (of the same clip) so you can focus on what the upper notes are doing (as you're not quite getting the melody relationship of the upper notes and bass notes quite right). A friend said just delete the bass part, well that's not muting it is it.
I usually copy the bass part to a new note lane below when I do work like that. Then it's mutable.
:reason: 12, Win10

Creativemind

26 Oct 2017

Adabler wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017
When you're trying to work out a piano / synth melody in the midi editor for instance and you need to just mute the bass part (of the same clip) so you can focus on what the upper notes are doing (as you're not quite getting the melody relationship of the upper notes and bass notes quite right). A friend said just delete the bass part, well that's not muting it is it.
I usually copy the bass part to a new note lane below when I do work like that. Then it's mutable.
I'd already thought of that. However, this then defeats the purpose of being able to see both lots of notes in the same clip so you can work out the patterns in relation to each other, as you need to be able to see both patterns at the same time within the same clip. There's only 2 ways you can achieve this, Muting notes in the midi editor or group editing (being able to see 2 midi editing clips in the same editor). Thanks for your suggestion though.

Bumbum

26 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Bumbum wrote:
26 Oct 2017
It would be super if chords player had gate and note cv input... :) for example psq --> chords
Put the player inside a combinator and hook up PSQ to the gate/cv in of that! Should work :)
Whoa ! Thank you very much, it works like that

ClassickHitz

26 Oct 2017

Within the first 5-minutes fo Beta testing, I knew I would upgrade. Actually, it was even before then when I saw what was being offered from the Sound Library at over 3GB of content, at $129, I've spent that on sounds and gear without blinking an eye on several occasions. So for me, it was a no-brainer.

Of course, I would have loved to have had the system performance issues addressed but I understand I received more than a gift with the free release of R9.5 and I just can't look a gift horse in the mouth. At least not at the moment :D.
Last edited by ClassickHitz on 26 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Adabler
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017
I'd already thought of that. However, this then defeats the purpose of being able to see both lots of notes in the same clip so you can work out the patterns in relation to each other, as you need to be able to see both patterns at the same time within the same clip. There's only 2 ways you can achieve this, Muting notes in the midi editor or group editing (being able to see 2 midi editing clips in the same editor). Thanks for your suggestion though.
I guess you could keep the notes and lower the volume, then copy back from the other note lane when you are done. But I get your point, this should probably be easier.
:reason: 12, Win10

sublunar

26 Oct 2017

Adabler wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017
I guess you could keep the notes and lower the volume, then copy back from the other note lane when you are done. But I get your point, this should probably be easier.
It is easier. Select notes, grab pencil tool, hold shift, draw the velocity down to the bottom. Effectively muting just the ones you selected, no need to make a new track and you can still see em. I never thought of needing to actually mute a midi note before but this is a very basic MIDI editing "trick".
Last edited by sublunar on 26 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

JiggeryPokery
RE Developer

26 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017
When you're trying to work out a piano / synth melody in the midi editor for instance and you need to just mute the bass part (of the same clip) so you can focus on what the upper notes are doing (as you're not quite getting the melody relationship of the upper notes and bass notes quite right). A friend said just delete the bass part, well that's not muting it is it. That's like saying if you and a friend are trying to talk during the adverts in a TV show and you can't hear each other properly, don't mute the tele with the remote, turn the tele off. Well yeah you could do, but you wouldn't know when your programme was coming back on.
I hate to be "that guy" (ok, I quite like being "that guy" ;) ), but that function has been in Reason for years. Many, many years.

F8 > Extract Notes to Lanes.

Then mute the new lane that just has the bass notes. Ta-Da! :shock:
Last edited by JiggeryPokery on 26 Oct 2017, edited 2 times in total.

botnotbot

26 Oct 2017

As a brand new Reason user I just want to add a bit of a different perspective on the content update so soon after the VST support. Now, obviously I haven't had much time to become cynical with Propellerheads yet, so it might be overly optimistic, but here's my interpretation.

Props took the single largest factor keeping me from really trying Reason and smashed it in three exciting ways.

Let me explain.

Earlier this year I had cause to doubt my choice of DAW and decided to shop around. I demoed many of them but I didn't try Reason (I'm glad I didn't by the way, as I would have burned my 30-day demo in a less compelling context).

The pre-9.5 walled garden of Reason presented me with this option: for 350 euros I could trade all my existing investment into VSTs for a small handful of instruments and effects, all of them entering or had entered a relatively mature age for music software. Rack Extensions provided a means to mitigate this and some of them seemed quite cool, but starting another plugin collection from scratch was not appealing to me at all.

Then they introduced VST support. My curiosity was piqued.

Then they announced a new version with a significant expansion of native instruments. I decided I would try a demo when it arrived.

Then they announced the RE subscriptions. Being able to really explore the crazy potential of all these rackable devices without spending money on (non-resellable) plugins absolutely destroys what was earlier a huge barrier of entry for me: I didn't want to land in Reason and start spending heaps of money on plugins.

For 20 euros a month, I've got a 1000 euro budget _and_ I can swap something back if a few months from now I feel we don't belong together.

So yeah, something that was pretty inconceivable 9-10 months ago (me becoming a Reason user) has come to pass through what was to me clear signaling that Props wants to make as many users (and potential users) as happy as possible.

Now, my next highest "reason not to try Reason" after the 'walled garden full of potentially ruinous wonders' was the 'damn I am leaning pretty close to this screen right now'. In fact I never made it beyond my first 30 or so minutes with the Reason 8 demo on this iMac 5K.

However, with the 9.5 demo and all the fun I've had with it I've been willing to look past this for now. I saw the introduction of two new native rack devices as evidence that they've finally got their next-level internal rack API all ironed out and ready to go.

So personally I'm primed for a similar three-punch knockout with regards to graphics, but I certainly wouldn't be mad if they addressed the long-term user's workflow grievances first.

Creativemind

26 Oct 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017
When you're trying to work out a piano / synth melody in the midi editor for instance and you need to just mute the bass part (of the same clip) so you can focus on what the upper notes are doing (as you're not quite getting the melody relationship of the upper notes and bass notes quite right). A friend said just delete the bass part, well that's not muting it is it. That's like saying if you and a friend are trying to talk during the adverts in a TV show and you can't hear each other properly, don't mute the tele with the remote, turn the tele off. Well yeah you could do, but you wouldn't know when your programme was coming back on.
I hate to be "that guy" (ok, I quite like being "that guy" ;) ), but that function has been in Reason for years. Many, many years.

So the notes aren't in the same clip so you can't see them all?

Faastwalker

26 Oct 2017

Loque wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Bumbum wrote:
26 Oct 2017
It would be super if chords player had gate and note cv input... :) for example psq --> chords
That was my first question/comment when they showed those things in promo video. Its a shame, that they dont have CV out :thumbs_down:
To me It's ridiculous that they don't. I may be missing something but this omission appears to be going against one of the fundamental aspects of Reason. I love the Players. But initially it made no sense to me at all how they worked in the context of the Reason rack. I hit the TAB key & it was like I had a minor Reason stroke!! :o It was a big WTF moment as a long term Reason user.

Also the fact that Reason 10 was about 'more' but we didn't get more Players was a little disappointing. As I understand it 3rd party developers don't have the tools to develop Players. So it's Propellerhead or nothing as far as this new 'technology' in Reason is concerned. I really expected Reason 10 to bring at least one new player into the fold.

QVprod

26 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017

Yeah but it didn't lack basic functionality. It's had pitch correction (Flex Pitch) for instance since (I think) Logic Pro 9, may have been 8, but 9 came out in 2010 (7 years ago) and that's not a basic feature like muting a midi note, changing a midi clip within the same midi editor or tabbing to label next track etc. Just don't get it. Can't sync (or the browsers) the windows on the fly, have to do it manually, ok, that's a solution but I'd much prefer it to be more intuitive. Some of these things really niggle me sometimes. When you're trying to work out a piano / synth melody in the midi editor for instance and you need to just mute the bass part (of the same clip) so you can focus on what the upper notes are doing (as you're not quite getting the melody relationship of the upper notes and bass notes quite right). A friend said just delete the bass part, well that's not muting it is it. That's like saying if you and a friend are trying to talk during the adverts in a TV show and you can't hear each other properly, don't mute the tele with the remote, turn the tele off. Well yeah you could do, but you wouldn't know when your programme was coming back on.
Actually Flex pitch is a Logic X feature. Logic 9 did not have it. So it's only been a few years. Reason isn't really late to the party with the pitch editor. Pro Tools still doesn't have one and Studio One just uses Melodyne.

Also that "basic" feature you mention of muting notes may be a big deal for you, but it isn't a big deal for everybody. Those like myself who play keyboard won't need to mute bass notes in a clip to work out a melody. For some others the Scales and Chords player eliminates the guess work.

Stuff like tabbing to do track labels is useful, but again not necessarily a big deal unless labeling multiple tracks in one shot is part of your workflow. I personally only need to do that when recording audio, which is something I never do in Reason. Otherwise I label as I go.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the features you want aren't good features. But they're far from being things that make Reason unusable.
Reason for instance had the combinator since version 3. Logic got track stacks in version 10. Hardware workstations and modules could do this since the 90s. I'd say layering software sounds without multiple midi tracks is just as useful and basic as the features you mentioned, yet Logic didn't get it til many years later.

Oquasec

26 Oct 2017

tumar wrote:
26 Oct 2017
you can install all versions of reason in separate folders.
If you wanted to use 8, 9 & 10 on one machine you could.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Creativemind

26 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Actually Flex pitch is a Logic X feature. Logic 9 did not have it.
July 2013. 4 years ago and I bet it's polyphonic lol!
QVprod wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Also that "basic" feature you mention of muting notes may be a big deal for you, but it isn't a big deal for everybody. Those
Stuff like tabbing to do track labels is useful, but again not necessarily a big deal unless labeling multiple tracks in one shot is part of your workflow. I personally only need to do that when recording audio, which is something I never do in Reason. Otherwise I label as I go.
And if you don't want muting notes.....don't use it. I'm surprised anybody here upgrades Reason because it hasn't needed a single feature since 2012 from what everyone says.[/quote]
QVprod wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the features you want aren't good features. But they're far from being things that make Reason unusable.
I never said unsuable, just longwinded sometimes.

sublunar

26 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017
JiggeryPokery wrote:
26 Oct 2017

Creativemind, did you see my suggestion of selecting the notes you want to mute, using the pencil tool and holding shift to write the velocity down to zero? It really couldn't be easier to do what you're trying to accomplish. The notes stay visible but silent. if you use the keyboard shortcut for the pencil tool it's like 2 mouse clicks with a drag of the pencil. Piece of cake.

selig
RE Developer

26 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
Creativemind wrote:
26 Oct 2017
Creativemind, did you see my suggestion of selecting the notes you want to mute, using the pencil tool and holding shift to write the velocity down to zero? It really couldn't be easier to do what you're trying to accomplish. The notes stay visible but silent. if you use the keyboard shortcut for the pencil tool it's like 2 mouse clicks with a drag of the pencil. Piece of cake.
That works - but then when you’re done, how do you restore the original velocities?

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

jayhosking

26 Oct 2017

Highlight the notes and use the feature in the top right corner to add the same amount of velocity to each?

sublunar

26 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017
sublunar wrote:
That works - but then when you’re done, how do you restore the original velocities?

Draw em back in one big easy swipe of the pencil (as long as you select only those notes and hold shift so the pencil only draws on those notes). Piece of cake. Or select the specific notes, hit f8 > Note Velocity > and set the velocity to a static value and apply. then they're all the exact static value you want. Add random value too if you want. I can't imagine a scenario in which this wouldn't get the job done. I write all my drums in MIDI and do this sort of thing all the time. I never once thought I needed a mute button and I don't feel either of these methods is a tedious way to go about it either.
Last edited by sublunar on 26 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

avasopht
Competition Winner

26 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017

Good question. I think mute notes is not only a must but there's already a mute tool. It's one of those small features that has a lovely effort:benefit ratio.

selig
RE Developer

26 Oct 2017

sublunar wrote:
selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017

Draw em back in one big easy swipe of the pencil (as long as you select only those notes and hold shift so the pencil only draws on those notes). Piece of cake. Or use f8 > Note velocity, select the specific notes and set the velocity to a static value and apply. then they're all the exact static value you want. Add random value too if you want. I can't imagine a scenario in which this wouldn't get the job done. I write all my drums in MIDI and do this sort of thing all the time. I never once thought I needed a mute button and I don't feel this is a tedious way to go about it either.
Can’t imagine a scenario? I can - almost every scenario in my world!

Again, this will work - but only if your velocities are not all the same. If you record two handed piano, and want to mute the left hand, I would assume the velocities are not all the same across the board except for rare cases for most folks.

Selig Audio, LLC

sublunar

26 Oct 2017

selig wrote:
26 Oct 2017
sublunar wrote:
Draw em back in one big easy swipe of the pencil (as long as you select only those notes and hold shift so the pencil only draws on those notes). Piece of cake. Or use f8 > Note velocity, select the specific notes and set the velocity to a static value and apply. then they're all the exact static value you want. Add random value too if you want. I can't imagine a scenario in which this wouldn't get the job done. I write all my drums in MIDI and do this sort of thing all the time. I never once thought I needed a mute button and I don't feel this is a tedious way to go about it either.
I can - almost every scenario in my world!

Again, this will work - but what if your velocities are not all the same? If you record two handed piano, and want to mute the left hand, I would assume the velocities are not all the same across the board except for rare cases for most folks.

Swipe the pencil where you want the velocity.

Or use f8 > Note velocity > Static value (also can add random.)

I do this all the time.

• Information