Nektar Panorama update with VST control and Reason 10 support!

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
QVprod

25 Oct 2017

Nektar Integration update for Reason 9.5 and 10 with VST-instrument access & control
New Maps for +100 VST instruments from Arturia, Rob Papen, Korg, Kontakt, U-He and many more.

More info here: http://www.nektartech.com/tablet/reason ... pdate.html

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2017

There are some interesting things there but there are some issues.

Do like the patch changes on VST, I should have thought of that, will add it :)

Like the grab.

The browse workflow is not working right for R10, says Subtractor and then loads up a Europa.

They also only map a fraction of the controls that we map out. We are duplicating work, DOH!!!

JacobiusWrex

25 Oct 2017

Just bought a p1, I was wondering when these features would be added, now I'm a very happy customer[emoji2][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

25 Oct 2017

JacobiusWrex wrote:
25 Oct 2017
Just bought a p1, I was wondering when these features would be added, now I'm a very happy customer[emoji2][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't forget the mappings we have done. viewtopic.php?t=7491466

kefkekeyser

25 Oct 2017

I have downloaded the new driver, and found these issues:

Togu Audio Line U-NO LX V2 and U-He ACE should be mapped, but it doesn't work: I put these VSTs in my Rack and my P6 does not recognize them (no mapping).
However, Togu Audio Line BassLine 101 does work.
I did not check my other VSTs.

I cannot get GRAB to work. I noticed that the fw file in C:\Program Files\Nektar\P6\fw is a very old one (Panorama_P6_FW_v011209.bin). Is this the correct fw?
I did run both installers.

I have Reason 9.5: does GRAB work in Reason 9.5?

kefkekeyser

25 Oct 2017

Update: did some more testing and found something interesting: grab works for instruments and fx that have a mapping but does not work for instruments and fx that have no mapping. Is there a way to fix that? And is there a way to undo the grab of a parameter when you don't need it any more?

TChandler

25 Oct 2017

Hi all, thanks for continuing to support Nektar!

To answer the question regarding GRAB, it's not possible to use GRAB with unmapped VSTs. Unfortunately a VST must appear in the scopes to get any form of control from Panorama/Impact at all. This is something I hope will change in the remote technology one day. ;-)

To control unmapped VSTs, use reason's remote override - the fader section in Transport mode is reserved for remote override (Panorama only).

We can not realistically cover every VST so we focused on INSTRUMENTS, first and prioritized.

It would be really helpful if there are VSTs you would like to see supported that are not, and ofcourse any that are listed as supported and may not be working for some reason please contact support.

Best Regards,

Tim

kefkekeyser

25 Oct 2017

TChandler wrote:
25 Oct 2017

To answer the question regarding GRAB, it's not possible to use GRAB with unmapped VSTs. Unfortunately a VST must appear in the scopes to get any form of control from Panorama/Impact at all. This is something I hope will change in the remote technology one day. ;-)
That's a pity, grab would be very useful for devices with no mapping.
TChandler wrote:
25 Oct 2017
We can not realistically cover every VST so we focused on INSTRUMENTS, first and prioritized.

It would be really helpful if there are VSTs you would like to see supported that are not, and ofcourse any that are listed as supported and may not be working for some reason please contact support.
I hope that Propellerhead adds some wysiwyg editor to edit and create remote maps without having to fiddle with text files.

nscerri

25 Oct 2017

This is really great news! Kudos to Nektar :)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

AttenuationHz

27 Oct 2017

TChandler wrote:
25 Oct 2017

To control unmapped VSTs, use reason's remote override - the fader section in Transport mode is reserved for remote override (Panorama only).

Best Regards,

Tim
If a user such as myself created the scope in the map file. Would saving and writing to the map file be something that could be done via Grab. Having to redo grabs when the project is closed would get old quick... Would be great for custom maps. Something like this is what I hope for if Reasons remote override was updated...

Also The grab must hold the info somewhere would it be possible to get that grab info so it can be pasted into the map file?
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

AttenuationHz

27 Oct 2017

What The..... There is a patch named Bonus Stage in the Rhythmic folder of Europa. Pressing toggle/mute brings up the fader view right.... This happened after I grabbed something:

It seems to be picking up the Modulation of Env1 the faders move all over the place on the screen but there is 3 faders being mapped to the main filter frequency this keeps on changing also it was fader 1 when I loaded the patch :? getting Note on, on a couple of the faders. No amp envelope what's the deal with that?

But wait when you insert another Europa and select it as the midi device the screen on the p1/ will lock onto it press Toggle/Mute the faders read Mix: FltDis FltFre FltFre Note0 Amp: FltFre Note0 FltFre FltFre The filter on the patch Bonus Stage will change as will the other 3 faders but if you hit random on the next Europa init device that the P1 is locked onto will change settings.

I also created a new project inserted Europa pressed Toggle/Mute for fader view and faders 2,3 + 8 seem to be moving with Envelope 1.
Closed reason and started again. Inserted Europa, The movement of the Faders seems to be related to just pressing shift on the Panorama.
It is the Envelope 1 Position it is piking up. The Triangle that scrolls across the screen. You lose control of the faders that are moving on the screen. Pretty desperate bug I think.

To reproduce. Load Reason, Insert Europa Init Patch, Press Toggle/Mute for fader view (Mix + Amp), Press Shift. A fader should start moving named EnvPo move it it loses function, was fader 2 for me.

This might not be so bad if you could control that envelope position might actually make longer envelopes. Something I dream of been added.....
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Oct 2017

Can't really comment on this as I don't have R10. but it sounds like the grab function to grabing something it should not.

TChandler

28 Oct 2017

If parameters are grabbed in error, you can clear grab on the target device by pressing shift on panorama twice in quick succession. Like a double click with the mouse

AttenuationHz

28 Oct 2017

TChandler wrote:
28 Oct 2017
If parameters are grabbed in error, you can clear grab on the target device by pressing shift on panorama twice in quick succession. Like a double click with the mouse
Just pressing shift causes the grab. Europa's Envelope position moves on an Init patch once you press shift it grabs the envelope position. It is a control it should not grab because there is no way to control that. There is no remote info for it. Sorry just checked the export there is Remote info for it It can't be controlled though. What's displayed on the P1 screen is EnvPo. If the Loop is disabled it stops modulating the fader on the P1 screen.

This thing:
EnvPo.gif
EnvPo.gif (35.87 KiB) Viewed 8537 times
This might be also why Iris2 was not picking up the patch next/previous buttons instead picking up the mod on the effects section which moves with an LFO/Envelope. It is a reason issue i think.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 28 Oct 2017, edited 2 times in total.

AttenuationHz

28 Oct 2017

Is there a new template for custom maps now?

EnochLight

29 Oct 2017

TChandler wrote:
25 Oct 2017

Best Regards,

Tim
Tim,

Just a heads up.. the maps for Spire VST and Dune 2 VST were broken (the scope names were wrong). Also, are there any plans to actually release an updated Panorama series? The P4 and P6 are getting pretty long in the tooth (the Panorama pads suck compared to the new Impact series).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

AttenuationHz

29 Oct 2017

Step from robotic bean is picked up also on grab. If the sequencer is playing and you want to grab Tie and map them to the buttons you have to stop playback in order to grab them. Not ideal. What it picks up is steps. It would be nice to be able to use grab on Propulsion also that map does not look like it was updated with the grab system it will not grab mute or solo. If it did I would suspect it would also grab the step position.

Anyone have any luck figuring out the new map system.

@TChandler I was mapping an external synth and saving the profile and noticed there is a mode for buttons called step which upon each press of a button it cycles through the 0-127 for buttons. Can this setting be used in maps and what should the setting be to step buttons? Is there a way to define?
(e.g. ReMark Rack Divider has 33 colours could a button be programmed to go from 0-33 for each colour instead of using a knob. This would help for setting band states on Fabfilter Q2 also 3 states 0 off,1 on ,2 bypass but mapping the button is 0 or 1 = 0 to 2 if the button could be stepped it could be 0, 1, 2 Also stepping for dB slopes/band type would be boss! It would give the most control mapping the faders/knobs/buttons/ch knobs and display buttons all in one go. With 3 pages for the 24 bands allowed.)

TChandler

30 Oct 2017

Please send exported device remote infos for any VSTs that are not working (particularly if they are meant to work!) to support.

It's not possible for the codecs to determine if an incoming parameter value caused by mouse movement, or automation, so yes it makes sense to grab parameters without the sequencer running.

Double pressing SHIFT will remove any parameter mappings grabbed in error.

If you map a VST in the legacy mapping format, you won't be able to use Grab. The new mapping format is not documented, but take a look at Europa and the Reason 9 players for reference. The main differences are:

1. The underscore at the start of the device name signifies a mapping in the new format.
2. Controls are mapped by number in the Ctrl ID list rather than by name string.

You can use the usual navigation and ctrl labelling methods, although there is a CTRL_MAP and CTRL_MAP_TRIG label required when you want an display button to be a toggle/trigger control in the new format.

As you can probably tell, it's far easier to translate exported device remote infos into a basic map in the new format. Plus, you don't need to map every parameter since Grab will allow access to those required less frequently.

But, the legacy mapping method is maintained for full customization of a device across Panorama's controls.

Regards,

Tim

AttenuationHz

30 Oct 2017

TChandler wrote:
30 Oct 2017
Please send exported device remote infos for any VSTs that are not working (particularly if they are meant to work!) to support.

It's not possible for the codecs to determine if an incoming parameter value caused by mouse movement, or automation, so yes it makes sense to grab parameters without the sequencer running.

Double pressing SHIFT will remove any parameter mappings grabbed in error.

If you map a VST in the legacy mapping format, you won't be able to use Grab. The new mapping format is not documented, but take a look at Europa and the Reason 9 players for reference. The main differences are:

1. The underscore at the start of the device name signifies a mapping in the new format.
2. Controls are mapped by number in the Ctrl ID list rather than by name string.

You can use the usual navigation and ctrl labelling methods, although there is a CTRL_MAP and CTRL_MAP_TRIG label required when you want an display button to be a toggle/trigger control in the new format.

As you can probably tell, it's far easier to translate exported device remote infos into a basic map in the new format. Plus, you don't need to map every parameter since Grab will allow access to those required less frequently.

But, the legacy mapping method is maintained for full customization of a device across Panorama's controls.

Regards,

Tim
Double pressing shift was not working for me for the parameters grabbed while the steps/the sequencer on Step was playing on Step or on Europa's EnvPo a complete restart of reason was required.

Is it possible to use the new Grab format without grab enabled for any devices that are picked up in error - (disable grab but still use the new format). The grab system really is a good system but if I'm honest it could be great if you could save the grabs to the maps. You would not need to do the time consuming custom maps if you could save the grab. But at the very least if you could export the grabs to a file it would make doing custom maps easier.

Also you dodged that question a few times now! Can the buttons be set to step in maps? If not why not? It needs to be a thing...! Having to use a knob when there is a perfectly good button sitting there idle makes very little sense to me especially if it looks like it is a button on the RE/VST GUI. 95% of maps are using the 8 ch_knobs. The knobs and the screen is the smallest part of the P1. It is the way it is but, if the buttons had that step functionality that is an available setting when mapping internally, in custom maps the maps would be much easier to write without the need for 20 extra pages.

Edit: I see what you did there thanks for the hint!!

iramrezso

07 Nov 2017

I've updated the Nektar driver and I'm using Reason 10. The old reason instrument mappings seem to be broken. Changing to Oscillators I can't switch between ocsillators (only the 1st can be edited) the buttons remain the same as by the Main page (e.g. Btn 1, Btn 2 etc. by Thor). Same with LFOs, and other multi-instance elements, only the first one can be edited.

Regarding the new devices (Europa and Grain) the mapping seem to be very basic and incomplete. There's no menu for different control pages and thus most of the controls are not available on the controller.

Does anybody experience the same?

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Nov 2017

iramrezso wrote:
07 Nov 2017

Regarding the new devices (Europa and Grain) the mapping seem to be very basic and incomplete. There's no menu for different control pages and thus most of the controls are not available on the controller.

This is because it relies on the new grab feature.

We do have the full mapping for all of the new devices plus many more on this thread viewtopic.php?t=7491466

iramrezso

08 Nov 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
07 Nov 2017
iramrezso wrote:
07 Nov 2017

This is because it relies on the new grab feature.

We do have the full mapping for all of the new devices plus many more on this thread viewtopic.php?t=7491466
What? The previous mappings got broken because of a new feature?
I've already downloaded the map from you dropbox and no change in that behavior unfortunately. Though the new Reason 10 devices got a more extensive mapping I still can't access the oscillators, lfos etc by older devices.

iramrezso

08 Nov 2017

The current documentation still mentions the [Osc2>] button to switch to second oscillator. However no such button present even when the Oscillaltors menu is selected.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

08 Nov 2017

iramrezso wrote:
08 Nov 2017
The current documentation still mentions the [Osc2>] button to switch to second oscillator. However no such button present even when the Oscillaltors menu is selected.
I have just looked at the code and it should be there but for some reason the buttons are not being displayed.

Looking into this.

iramrezso

08 Nov 2017

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
08 Nov 2017
iramrezso wrote:
08 Nov 2017
I have just looked at the code and it should be there but for some reason the buttons are not being displayed.

Looking into this.
Thanks!

• Information