Any Free FFT Eq's

Discuss VST stuff here!
Creativemind

20 Oct 2017

Hi All!

Simple question...

Are there any free VST's that have FFT on them?

Thanks!
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

etyrnal

20 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:Hi All!

Simple question...

Thanks!
I'd be interested to know as well

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

normen

20 Oct 2017

Why is the technique important? What is the feature you want? Do you want a "linear phase" EQ with normal freq/q/gain parameters? Do you want to be able to paint in the spectrum? I don't get why "FFT" would be a requirement... If thats *actually* the case then use RV7000 with an IR of an EQ - that puts a FFT in there :)

etyrnal

20 Oct 2017

I remember I used to have access to an fft eq in it used to give me the ability to basically do surgery on specific frequencies.

normen

21 Oct 2017

etyrnal wrote:
20 Oct 2017
I remember I used to have access to an fft eq in it used to give me the ability to basically do surgery on specific frequencies.

How exactly? I mean pulling out specific frequencies - you only need a normal EQ with a high Q factor, right? How was that EQ more practical? Note I actually still try to understand what feature you look for even though it might sound as if I was telling you that you don't need it :)

superpop

21 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
20 Oct 2017
Hi All!

Simple question...

Thanks!
Try reafir: https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/

Creativemind

22 Oct 2017

superpop wrote:
21 Oct 2017
Creativemind wrote:
20 Oct 2017
Hi All!

Simple question...

Thanks!
Try reafir: https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
Thanks!
Will check those out.

Which one has FFT on it?

Is there any benefit to downloading 64 bit vst's over 32 bit? apart from the fact 32 bit won't work in Reason but take that out the equation, does it matter?
Last edited by Creativemind on 22 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Creativemind

22 Oct 2017

etyrnal wrote:
20 Oct 2017

Yeah that's what I was after. I've been watching a video on making your own kick drums and the guy uses an FFT. What does FFT tell you that a normal EQ doesn't?

normen

22 Oct 2017

Seems like I am on peoples ignore lists here but if anyone reads, a FFT (Fast Fourier Transform) is simply the mathematical method to convert a wave to its spectral contents. Terms usually used are "working in the time domain" (wave) or "working in the frequency domain" (spectrum). In audio its used for a bunch of things, the simplest would be a frequency plotter / analyzer.

Some EQs also use a conversion with a FFT to edit the data in the frequency domain and then convert it back to the time domain. This avoids the typical phase shift in EQs but it doesn't vanish, its instead "converted" to timing differences. So a FFT EQ is just different, not better. You get "smearing of transients" with FFT EQs and you get "phase shifting" with normal EQs. Neither technique offers steeper Q factors though, you can achieve very steep filters with both techniques and with both techniques you need infinite processing power to do infinitely steep filters.

O1B

23 Oct 2017

FREE (I've got Analyzers - not EQs but they can be quite useful, as well.)

VOnexgo SPAN and Voxengo ANSPEC
With them, chose your own EQ, and watch/listen to the results. There is a SPAN PLUS (not FREE)

MELDA: MAnalyzer (Analysis ONLY)

MAutoDynamicEQ (NOT FREE!!)
- Analyze your track, select what you want it to sound like and let the plugin do the magic. It will setup the bands for you! Unlike traditional spectral matching, here you have no latency and amazing sound quality!
- Our variable-slope filters just sound amazing. No more resonances, you can finally be really surgical. Dynamic filters can do common tasks such as de-essing, ducking, compression, expansion plus much more and the world of possibilities is far from being explored! Plus flexible high-pass and low-pass filtering for speeding up your mixing workflow.
- Tasks such as de-essing or bass drum enhancement are so common that we decided to make them available with the simplified 4 knob interface. Just plug it in, select what you want to do and enjoy the results.
- MAutoDynamicEq not only shows the results of your processing, it also features an integrated analyzer, sonogram, spectrum areas plus much more.

Voxengo GlissEQ (Not FREE)
- You should notice these immediate benefits: boosting highs with GlissEQ tends to avoid the fatiguing effect of overload. And boosting lows avoids making things sound mushy. Instead, you get a pleasant emphasis of transients, bringing life and dimension to your tracks.
- In addition to dynamic filtering, GlissEQ also features a real-time spectrum analyzer. The spectrum of a track can be exported to any other instance of GlissEQ thus making real-time inter-track spectrum comparisons possible.

Not free, but some of the most highly rated. I do own/use them, FYI.
You gotta EQ the hell out of those tracks until you can't EQ anymore.
Maybe then, it'll be easier to settle for a set of EQs.

I'm waiting for Lectric Panda to add 1/6, 1/3, and Octave bands to their Analyzer, the ability to invert the "view" (for stereo operation - or maybe, dual stereo), and maybe a vertical to horizontal viewing option.

Sorry Dude, $$. If it was simple, Google would've found it before you ever Posted the request.
Creativemind wrote:
20 Oct 2017
Hi All!

Simple question...

Thanks!

Loque

23 Oct 2017

This was i could quickly find. There was also a time-limited free one i forget its name and maybe its not free anymore.
https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_TripleEQ/
http://photosounder.com/splineeq/
Reason12, Win10

normen

23 Oct 2017

Good to see that nobody really seems to know what OP is asking for - makes me feel less stupid ^^

O1B

23 Oct 2017

FREE, free, ~$19 - but - just scratches the surface of possibilities, no?

SplineEQ is nice. College EQ. I think it brings sounds to its limits. Good for experimentation, but not very surgical. After graduation. NuGEN SEQ-S:

Blue cat Audio. TripleEQ is free, but no different thank Reason's. now...
Liny EQ. a Monster EQ. The shelves it lifts gives monster body. nice remembrance.
JUST a PAIN IN THE ASS to LOAD their software from Computer to Computer. BCA needs to "Melda for FabFilter" their system. (...maybe, that's changed, now...) But it is well worth it:

Thank You, Loque.
Loque wrote:
23 Oct 2017
This was i could quickly find. There was also a time-limited free one i forget its name and maybe its not free anymore.
https://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/
https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_TripleEQ/
http://photosounder.com/splineeq/

O1B

23 Oct 2017

IMO, RRS's RE-60

plus..
Black Knight EQ by LAB-ONE

or..
REQ-131,

AND, GEQ-7 by Synapse, will get you the same places.. Just not along the same road.

CPU heavy for the three (not, GEQ- that's lite - to me) on a weak Computer... but the sound will be Right.

And, don't forget throwing the MClass EQ in w/the bunch. Weak on Body, but Strong as a Surgical tool.I rarely use any other RE EQ over the MClass once the sound is in the system (initially). works very well.

madmacman

13 Dec 2017

normen wrote:
21 Oct 2017
etyrnal wrote:
20 Oct 2017

How exactly? I mean pulling out specific frequencies - you only need a normal EQ with a high Q factor, right? How was that EQ more practical? Note I actually still try to understand what feature you look for even though it might sound as if I was telling you that you don't need it :)
Even though this thread is a little older, I can (maybe) shed some light on this question, because I'm looking for something similar.

And I can explain quite exact what I'm after (but not necessarily for free):

A visual parametric eq with an analyzer included, which shows the before AND after spectrum in the same window.

I recently saw this in Cubase when visiting a friend: You can achieve surgical cuts of visible "problem areas" and have direct visual feedback of your settings (of course besides actually *listening*).

I just tried it with Voxengo SPAN (free version - it also has up to 8 inputs) combined with splitters and Parametric EQ of choice, and the results are promising. But using SPAN, my CPU heat went thru the roof. :(

Next stop will be Fabfilter Pro-Q 2 (trial)

normen

13 Dec 2017

madmacman wrote:
13 Dec 2017
A visual parametric eq with an analyzer included, which shows the before AND after spectrum in the same window.
There. That was the disconnect, using "FFT" synonymously with "analyzer".

Creativemind

13 Dec 2017

normen wrote:
22 Oct 2017
Seems like I am on peoples ignore lists here
Sorry Normen but wasn't ignoring you.

I will have to get back on the video I was watching and see what exactly the guy in the video was needing a FFT EQ over a non FFT one. It was to do with sculpting / designing a kick drum. He was saying how essential it was in EDM music to design your own kick drums on a drum synth but to analyse it on a FFT EQ but will have to check the specifics when I get home.

normen

13 Dec 2017

Creativemind wrote:
13 Dec 2017
Sorry Normen but wasn't ignoring you.

I will have to get back on the video I was watching and see what exactly the guy in the video was needing a FFT EQ over a non FFT one. It was to do with sculpting / designing a kick drum. He was saying how essential it was in EDM music to design your own kick drums on a drum synth but to analyse it on a FFT EQ but will have to check the specifics when I get home.
Hey no problem, reading back the thread with "FFT = analyzer" in mind I sound pretty dumb ;)

Creativemind

14 Dec 2017

Apparently the guy in the video says he uses a FFT EQ so you can copy the frequency response using a drum synth. I think he means for future kicks, dunno as he's already made the initial kick on a drum synth. Not sure exactly what he means fully.

normen

14 Dec 2017

Creativemind wrote:
14 Dec 2017
Apparently the guy in the video says he uses a FFT EQ so you can copy the frequency response using a drum synth. I think he means for future kicks, dunno as he's already made the initial kick on a drum synth. Not sure exactly what he means fully.
Okay, so something like for example the Match EQ in Logic where you can take the frequency curve of some material and put it on some other material after playing both to the EQ. Thats of course way easier to implement with a FFT but you should really look for that "match" feature (or whatever its called elsewhere) instead of that "FFT" label.

pothole

15 Dec 2017

for FFT's sake ---> get the meaning right!!!! :geek:

Creativemind

24 Nov 2018

pothole wrote:
15 Dec 2017
What d'ya mean?

Revisiting this again. Looking for an EQ with FFT. Downloaded Voxengo and another one I forget the name of it now but turned out it wasn't free anyway and neither had FFT.

I will try and fathom out why the FFT is essential in the video tutorial I'm watching tomorrow but if anyone can link me to a FREE EQ that has FFT, that'd be great.

pothole

04 Dec 2018

Creativemind wrote:
24 Nov 2018
pothole wrote:
15 Dec 2017
What d'ya mean?

Revisiting this again. Looking for an EQ with FFT. Downloaded Voxengo and another one I forget the name of it now but turned out it wasn't free anyway and neither had FFT.

I will try and fathom out why the FFT is essential in the video tutorial I'm watching tomorrow but if anyone can link me to a FREE EQ that has FFT, that'd be great.
;)

Creativemind

04 Dec 2018

pothole wrote:
04 Dec 2018
Creativemind wrote:
24 Nov 2018

What d'ya mean?

;)
Still none the wiser lol!

pothole

06 Dec 2018

Creativemind wrote:
04 Dec 2018
pothole wrote:
04 Dec 2018

;)