Updating the Reason Browser

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

08 Oct 2017

I think it would be great to have a visual of a waveform in the browser.

You could start playback at any point in the waveform. Sometimes I have no clue at times what is on any particular file. And I'm starting at the beginning each time in the Reason Browser - sometimes with a bunch of silence before the audio kicks in.

The recent Grain video shows this can be done in Reason as an instantaneous reading of the wav file is displayed as it is dragged into Grain - time referenced here:

I've actually used the Reaper browser (Media Explorer) beside Reason at times. It can do a bit more than a play wait and hear preview.

I can even drag a file from the Reaper browser right into Reason.

Browser REAPER w REASON.jpeg
Browser REAPER w REASON.jpeg (306.82 KiB) Viewed 10095 times
Since Reason can now do this with Grain, and there are time and pitch shifting abilities in Reason already, how easy would it be to implement any of that into Reason - sorta like this?: (excuse the crappy cut and paste :puf_bigsmile: )

Browser Reason w extras.jpeg
Browser Reason w extras.jpeg (334.33 KiB) Viewed 10095 times

And maybe even highlight a section of the preview and import that right into the sequencer...

Does anyone have any thing they would like to see added to the Reason browser?
Or is it fine the way it is?

.AND OF COURSE, I think we have all come to expect that there are SOME workflow enhancements in every upgrade.
Last edited by stratatonic on 30 Oct 2017, edited 3 times in total.

stratatonic

11 Oct 2017

stratatonic wrote:
08 Oct 2017

So everyone thinks the browser is ok the way it is?

Maybe a better search function - a predictive auto complete thingy?

kimothebeatmaker

11 Oct 2017

That’s a pretty cool idea, should forward it to propellerhead!
"Cocaine and Prostitutes"

Marc Swing

12 Oct 2017

I would love to have that in the browser!

Loque

12 Oct 2017

I am very skeptical about using such a feature in a folder with 100 and more big samples regarding loading an displaying performance...
Reason12, Win10

sublunar

12 Oct 2017

Yes. This.

Except I'd rather it not be a pop-out window. Put that inside the browser window, don't want it detachable.

Reason is definitely rather sorely missing better audio editing/browsing/auditioning. When they tell us this is the "biggest update ever" I'm REALLY hoping they're going to blow it out of the park with the point revisions. Like they did with 9.5, they could throw some huge additions at us with 10.5 and I'm praying it'll be stuff like this and various other workflow enhancements like audio and sequencer related updates..

I will be buying v10, coming from v8, so I'll get tons of nice new stuff but I truly hope the v10 we've seen so far isn't all the new stuff we're going to see. Because it's not really the biggest update ever. Not yet anyway.

pushedbutton

12 Oct 2017

The only thing that really annoys me about the browser is the search facility doesn't learn, it always searches only your current location and does have any way to filter the results by type.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Josdams

12 Oct 2017

that looks horrible

stratatonic

12 Oct 2017

Loque wrote:
12 Oct 2017
I am very skeptical about using such a feature in a folder with 100 and more big samples regarding loading an displaying performance...
There could be an option. For example, in Reaper, it doesn't show the waveform if you don't have Auto play checked. (Mind you, Reaper does do it almost instantaneously when it is ticked).

sublunar wrote:
12 Oct 2017
Yes. This.

Except I'd rather it not be a pop-out window. Put that inside the browser window, don't want it detachable.

Reason is definitely rather sorely missing better audio editing/browsing/auditioning.
Yeah, definitely within the browser! The "pop-up" was just my crappy cut and paste. I don't have the tools or skills to seamlessly blend in Reapers browser .jpg into Reasons.
pushedbutton wrote:
12 Oct 2017

The only thing that really annoys me about the browser is the search facility doesn't learn, it always searches only your current location and does have any way to filter the results by type.
Yeah, that part could be improved.

Creativemind

12 Oct 2017

Cool idea.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

AttenuationHz

12 Oct 2017

I'll +1 that idea should definitely have a preview waveform not only for samples or sounds but for projects too. There was a tool for old versions that previewed .rns files really miss it! But not only should the browser preview be overhauled the edit sample window needs a massive update too imo.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Zac

12 Oct 2017

One thing I'd is for the browser lists to stay at the point you last used them rather than always going back to the beginning after each selection. I think Zvork made a bad choice of developer name now ;)

ARAlife

14 Oct 2017

+1

Which also would be good.

With Reason 10 we get a lot of drum loops and samples.

I think a Shuffle Results button would be quite nice.

Shuffle Results.png
Shuffle Results.png (46.6 KiB) Viewed 9741 times

stratatonic

14 Oct 2017

ARAlife wrote:
14 Oct 2017
+1

Shuffle Results.png
I think that could be a good idea - what are there 8-900 kick drums to preview? :shock:
Hopefully they are sub-grouped somehow.

EDIT: then again, with so many flipping kick drums, even going in order could be considered a "shuffle" :shock:
Hopefully they've created a decent search option somehow

AttenuationHz

14 Oct 2017

stratatonic wrote:
14 Oct 2017
ARAlife wrote:
14 Oct 2017
+1

Shuffle Results.png
I think that could be a good idea - what are there 8-900 kick drums to preview? :shock:
Hopefully they are sub-grouped somehow.

EDIT: then again, with so many flipping kick drums, even going in order could be considered a "shuffle" :shock:
Hopefully they've created a decent search option somehow
Iv'e not used the search feature in reason in a good while mainly because its slow AF but also because of .favo but I thought it did seem a lot faster on the live stream. Even searching on my own PC seemed faster, maybe just me!
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

stratatonic

17 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
14 Oct 2017
Iv'e not used the search feature in reason in a good while mainly because its slow AF but also because of .favo but I thought it did seem a lot faster on the live stream. Even searching on my own PC seemed faster, maybe just me!
Let's hope they've addressed that in this version. :)

Another feature for the browser that I think would be useful, would be a midi clip preview function - even if it just plays a simple square wave.

AND OF COURSE, I think we have all come to expect that there are SOME workflow enhancements in every upgrade.

jlgrimes

17 Oct 2017

stratatonic wrote:
11 Oct 2017
stratatonic wrote:
08 Oct 2017

Their browser could use a few improvements. I think Ableton has your feature as well. Yes a better search would be great. My suggestions:

1. Tagging. Would be really great if you could tag your favorite presets. Just a dream for me though as most DAW manufacterers seem to be strongly opposed to tagging (Ableton). It is probably difficult to implement and a maintenance nightmare.

2. Fix the general clunkiness of browsing certain rack extensions. There are issues of when opening some Rack Extensions don't always open their assigned preset folder. Could just be me.

3. Browse loops at project tempo.

deepndark

17 Oct 2017

As we are talking about the browser related new ideas, I have few myself:

1) Did we not have this already in the earlier versions, i.e. we were able to sort out all the different patch types like combis, malströms etc. As Reason 10 soundbank has all these types in the same folder, it would sometimes be cool to see only combis.

2) Search speed: I hope there's a way to search faster. Maybe there's some ways to do that - as example: if there's no rex loops in a folder, it would firstly check for a rex format. And if there's not any, it would skip the name search.

3) Also, when you use Redrum arrows to load a next sample, it would always jump to that sample in the browser too.

swamptooth

17 Oct 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
17 Oct 2017
stratatonic wrote:
11 Oct 2017

Their browser could use a few improvements. I think Ableton has your feature as well. Yes a better search would be great. My suggestions:

1. Tagging. Would be really great if you could tag your favorite presets. Just a dream for me though as most DAW manufacterers seem to be strongly opposed to tagging (Ableton). It is probably difficult to implement and a maintenance nightmare
Tagging is one of the main reasons I also use Cubase. It's metadata layer is extremely thorough. Great for Foley libraries.

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2017

There is a sort feature. But default samples in folders are sorted by date first-last although you can't sort .favo's the same way they are sorted by order received but can be moved up/down manually. Edit sample window could do with being accessible from the browser for non self contained samples along with new features in that too - save as being one along with the ability to save as rex2/midi/export from the edit sample window. Rex2 is already integrated in versions above 8 iirc but its not the full program you can change slices and stuff from the sequencer.

If you have a ReCycle license you should get the full features from the edit sample window/sequencer if not the already integrated limited features same as the sequencer - would actually self promote ReCycle done this way. Its just not great workflow deleting tracks from the sequencer just to get those features even then you are limited on what you can do to the audio to edit it and use it in the project you are planning on using it on.

I also got the idea and suggested in another thread that note information such as the tune of drums or one shots should be displayed in note/cent and Hz in the browsers info pane. It would be great to not to just load a sample into an NN-XT just to analyse the sample to the nearest tuning this should be also be in the edit sample window automatically with the possibility of adding that info as tags for use in other programs too. If the edit sample window was tied into the browser you would be able to get the tag info on BPM of wav loops assuming the sample was tied off properly - usually are (start and end points proper length for a loop to play without glitces) this information should be easy for a computer to calculate as it based on the time in samples/seconds the loop is and just multiplied the same calculation hospitals use to calculate your heart rate. Which would be a good analogy for the browser as it is the heart of building songs and projects everything must flow through it.

What irks me is having to use windows browser to drag and drop samples to VST's this needs to be added and actually should have been in the release of 9.5 add that to the list of reasons 9.5 was rushed. Its a disconnect of focus if your changing windows just to use another programs browser/preview sample.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 22 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

chaosroyale

17 Oct 2017

I'd like a feature to HIDE devices and REs that we do not use. Especially with the new bloated list of devices in R10.

AttenuationHz

17 Oct 2017

chaosroyale wrote:
17 Oct 2017
I'd like a feature to HIDE devices and REs that we do not use. Especially with the new bloated list of devices in R10.
That is somewhat why devices are added favourites lists.

stratatonic

19 Oct 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
17 Oct 2017
stratatonic wrote:
11 Oct 2017

3. Browse loops at project tempo.
Yes, an option to tick for this would be welcome for many, I think.
Last edited by stratatonic on 30 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

stratatonic

19 Oct 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Oct 2017
Edit sample window could do with being accessible from the browser for non self contained samples along with new features in that too - save as being one along with the ability to save as rex2/midi/export from the edit sample window.
Yeah, I can dig it. :)
AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Oct 2017
If you have a ReCycle license you should get the full features from the edit sample window/sequencer if not the already integrated limited features same as the sequencer - would actually self promote ReCycle done this way. Its just not great workflow deleting tracks from the sequencer just to get those features even then you are limited on what you can do to the audio to edit it and use it in the project you are planning on using it on.

Somehow, they must STILL be making money on Recycle, :shock: , but it should just be fully integrated into Reason somehow.
AttenuationHz wrote:
17 Oct 2017
What irks me is having to use windows browser to drag and drop samples to VST's this needs to be added and actually should have been in the release of 9.5 add that to the list of reasons 9.5 was rushed. Its a disconnect of focus if your changing windows just to use another programs browser/preview sample.
Yeah, sometimes I think Reason 8 was rushed as well. The browser just seemed so half-baked then for the money they wanted for it.
They really haven't done much to improve on that over two versions. :(
Last edited by stratatonic on 30 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

AttenuationHz

21 Oct 2017

You know what else needs to be on the browser a refresh button!! Just creating combi patches and saving variants to the same folder they where loaded to but you have to go back then into the folder again for it to show. You get the same BS when using EMI except you have to close reason completely to refresh any newly created MIDI devices with LoopMIDI.

• Information