PH makes subscriptions?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
ltbrunt00
Posts: 484
Joined: 10 Jan 2017

Post 09 Oct 2017

I was looking for more of an rent to own option. My thinking is that at least with rent to own the instrument will eventually be part of your permanent instrument collection. I generally like to own everything in the long run.
Reason, Cubase, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 2687
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 09 Oct 2017

satyr32 wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017
I think it is inevitable that they will go full subscription for Reason, but they'll do it slowly. First RE bundles, then RE with Reason bundles, then finally only RE with Reason bundles.
Unfortunately this will happen. It is the most profitable business model for a company.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Oct 2017
You're right, this is where the anxiety comes from. There's always that possiblity...
Adobe is literally the only content creation company that is subscription only. Everybody else still allows you to buy outright. This isn't something to be worried about. Adobe has the largest user base in its field so they can get way with that. I have high doubts about subscription only becoming a thing. Even Apple still allows you buy songs off of iTunes despite have a subscription service.

jwd606
Banned user
Posts: 85
Joined: 19 Sep 2017

Post 09 Oct 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
09 Oct 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Do people think a subscription on Reason would replace buying Reason?
I think Adobe is the source of all that anxiety because every other subscription model I can think of from Slate to Apple contains a purchase path if you prefer. But Adobe went all in on subscriptions and validated everyone's fear that it could happen, even if they're alone in doing so.
And Adobe are making a ton of money using this model. Hence every other software company, and their new private equity backers, must be looking if it could work for them.

Goodbye
Posts: 220
Joined: 21 May 2017

Post 09 Oct 2017

eusti wrote:
09 Oct 2017
satyr32 wrote:
09 Oct 2017


Unfortunately this will happen. It is the most profitable business model for a company.
If this happens I will not upgrade any further. Didn't subscribe to Photoshop Cloud stuff either...

D.
Sure, if you're lucky enough not to have to deal with files authored in the latest version you can dig your heels in. When a new version of your OS no longer supports the version of Photoshop you have you can avoid upgrading, but sooner or later your version of Photoshop will no longer be supported and you'll have to. Adobe are playing the long game.

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2580
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 09 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
09 Oct 2017
satyr32 wrote:
09 Oct 2017


Unfortunately this will happen. It is the most profitable business model for a company.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Oct 2017
You're right, this is where the anxiety comes from. There's always that possiblity...
Adobe is literally the only content creation company that is subscription only. Everybody else still allows you to buy outright. This isn't something to be worried about. Adobe has the largest user base in its field so they can get way with that. I have high doubts about subscription only becoming a thing. Even Apple still allows you buy songs off of iTunes despite have a subscription service.
Yeah plus Adobe kinda have everyone over a barrel in that their stuff is literally the industry standard and so many companies are utterly reliant on their suite of products that it'd cost more to switch and retrain than to just keep paying. Kind of shitty but it is what it is. I can't for a femtosecond imagine the likes of PH, or Steiny going to that extreme. Maybe Avid. And maybe Apple ;)

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2908
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 09 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
09 Oct 2017
satyr32 wrote:
09 Oct 2017


Unfortunately this will happen. It is the most profitable business model for a company.
TritoneAddiction wrote:
09 Oct 2017
You're right, this is where the anxiety comes from. There's always that possiblity...
Adobe is literally the only content creation company that is subscription only. Everybody else still allows you to buy outright. This isn't something to be worried about. Adobe has the largest user base in its field so they can get way with that. I have high doubts about subscription only becoming a thing. Even Apple still allows you buy songs off of iTunes despite have a subscription service.
Good to know. That's comforting :)

Goodbye
Posts: 220
Joined: 21 May 2017

Post 09 Oct 2017

The RE subscriptions don't replace buying REs. Do people think a subscription on Reason would replace buying Reason? Is that where the fear comes from? Or is it something else?
The fear comes from seeing you fail to take on board any of the user feedback I've seen recently and deliver a Reason 10 that fails to address any of people's valid concerns regarding new features and long standing fixes for old ones. The anxiety comes from the fact that you dodge this issue by telling us you are listening when your actions suggest otherwise. When you are the mouthpiece for a company and people don't trust what you say, they end up not trusting the company and the direction in which it is headed. If you were open and transparent with users, this anxiety wouldn't be so pronounced.

JerrelTheKing
Posts: 222
Joined: 31 Aug 2015

Post 09 Oct 2017

First off Izotope announced last week that they were going to a subscription model for the package of Ozone 8 and Neutron 2. This is simply the way of the industry now. Secondly people seem to complain about everything here. People complained about adding VSTs, then complained because Reason 10 came with instruments for the first time in forever. Complained because Props was selling synths that shouldve just been included in upgrades before that for years now. Stop complaining about everything they do and focus on your music and what works for you.

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2580
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 09 Oct 2017

JerrelTheKing wrote:
09 Oct 2017
First off Izotope announced last week that they were going to a subscription model for the package of Ozone 8 and Neutron 2. This is simply the way of the industry now. Secondly people seem to complain about everything here. People complained about adding VSTs, then complained because Reason 10 came with instruments for the first time in forever. Complained because Props was selling synths that shouldve just been included in upgrades before that for years now. Stop complaining about everything they do and focus on your music and what works for you.
Well like I said as a result of this I was able to get my hands on an old synth I tried out ages ago and it's kickstarted a whole new thing today. I'll most certainly buy it off the back of this at some point. If it's enabling my creativity, then it's ultimately positive.

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 2687
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 09 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Oct 2017
QVprod wrote:
09 Oct 2017




Adobe is literally the only content creation company that is subscription only. Everybody else still allows you to buy outright. This isn't something to be worried about. Adobe has the largest user base in its field so they can get way with that. I have high doubts about subscription only becoming a thing. Even Apple still allows you buy songs off of iTunes despite have a subscription service.


Yeah plus Adobe kinda have everyone over a barrel in that their stuff is literally the industry standard and so many companies are utterly reliant on their suite of products that it'd cost more to switch and retrain than to just keep paying. Kind of shitty but it is what it is. I can't for a femtosecond imagine the likes of PH, or Steiny going to that extreme. Maybe Avid. And maybe Apple ;)
Not even Avid, most studios I go too still run Pro Tools 9 or 10. They're up to version 12 now. In the home studio world, they have too many competitors to even think about going subscription only. Buying Pro Tools is unnecessarily expensive as it is.

PeterP
Posts: 82
Joined: 26 Apr 2016
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Post 09 Oct 2017

It's the old CD vs Spotify or DVDs vs Netflix thing all over again.

I held out for a long time because it didn't feel right to not own the music or movies anymore, and I had spent a fortune on my collection.

But it doesn't make sense financially to keep buying these things.

I already have the 3 rigs and some extra RE, so for me it's not worth it to subscribe right now. But for new users or if I were to start over I totally would.

It will be an adjustment period while people are getting used to it, but it's absolutely the way of the future, it just makes sense.
Last edited by PeterP on 09 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

PeterP
Posts: 82
Joined: 26 Apr 2016
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden

Post 09 Oct 2017

QVprod wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Adobe is literally the only content creation company that is subscription only.
Unfortunately not. Autodesk is another.

User avatar
QVprod
Moderator
Posts: 2687
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 09 Oct 2017

PeterP wrote:
09 Oct 2017
QVprod wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Adobe is literally the only content creation company that is subscription only.
Unfortunately not. Autodesk is another.
Ok so not literally but one of very few. I'm not familiar with Autodesk, but I would assume they're in a similar position to Adobe for their industry. No one really has that position in the DAW market.

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 8822
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 09 Oct 2017

"There’s lots of stuff in the RE pipeline." :thumbs_up:
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2580
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 09 Oct 2017

PeterP wrote:
09 Oct 2017
QVprod wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Adobe is literally the only content creation company that is subscription only.
Unfortunately not. Autodesk is another.
I think in both of these instances (and I suspect any others that may exist) they're companies who are "names" in the production pipeline, in professions where being up to date isn't really optional (especially for collaborating between different studios and teams). So it makes sense to subscribe to a service, rather than just buy your software one license or upgrade at a time. If that was my business or my trade, I'd probably prefer to do it that way tbh!

User avatar
Data_Shrine
Posts: 512
Joined: 23 Jan 2015

Post 09 Oct 2017

Adobe has the absolute total monopoly of the printing industry. Also a close-to-total monopoly in professional graphic design.
They're a huge monster no one can afford not to work with. Most people I know that work with Adobe products, including myself, don't have them at home anymore.

Reason itself going subscription-only, that would be their doom..

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2359
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 09 Oct 2017

Beside the unsurprising few eternal PH complainers, it looks like it was the right move for PH. Blender offers a way for you to directly support their community too. Strange because since it is open source some may feel like it is helping their community, instead of a feeling of "being trapped by money making faceless creature". As long as you have the option to buy the product in full it is a good development.
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

Impodiam
Posts: 3
Joined: 09 Oct 2017

Post 09 Oct 2017

Tumble wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Not even a fan of subscriptions either, but this looks well executed. You have reasonable prices and the ability to make custom bundles (TAKE NOTES, NI!). :thumbs_up:

I wonder if they're going to include VSTs later on.
I feel that would open up a whole different can of Worms with the Nature of what VSTs are. I find it unlikely Propellerhead would be able to pull it off with the Devs. I could be wrong however.

ltbrunt00
Posts: 484
Joined: 10 Jan 2017

Post 09 Oct 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
09 Oct 2017
MirEko wrote:
09 Oct 2017


Yeah it's all good now, but if props go subscription on Reason I will be a sad panda.
The RE subscriptions don't replace buying REs. Do people think a subscription on Reason would replace buying Reason? Is that where the fear comes from? Or is it something else? Would it be OK if you could either subscribe or buy? Just trying to understand the feedback :)
I am cool with this feature but would like a rent to own option.
Reason, Cubase, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

ltbrunt00
Posts: 484
Joined: 10 Jan 2017

Post 09 Oct 2017

At the price of 9:99 this will probably be something I pay for indefinitely right there next to my Netflix account.
Reason, Cubase, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Hypnoz
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 Sep 2017

Post 09 Oct 2017

ryanharlin wrote:
09 Oct 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Do people think a subscription on Reason would replace buying Reason?
I think Adobe is the source of all that anxiety because every other subscription model I can think of from Slate to Apple contains a purchase path if you prefer. But Adobe went all in on subscriptions and validated everyone's fear that it could happen, even if they're alone in doing so.
This is 100% correct. So long as there will ALWAYS be a purchase option, then it totally make sense to have a subscription pathway too, as it opens the door too some who may not be able to shell out the full price. Really no downside I can think of and could increase the user base which = more $ and more development.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3971
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 09 Oct 2017

They could do a deal...own every RE for year for €500. Is that a bit steep?

And also the next step for me (if no-ones already mentioned it) is Rent To Own? now that would be awesome, especially if it was done as a bundle as well.
Last edited by Creativemind on 10 Oct 2017, edited 2 times in total.
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.25 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Hypnoz
Posts: 3
Joined: 25 Sep 2017

Post 09 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017
The RE subscriptions don't replace buying REs. Do people think a subscription on Reason would replace buying Reason? Is that where the fear comes from? Or is it something else?
The fear comes from seeing you fail to take on board any of the user feedback I've seen recently and deliver a Reason 10 that fails to address any of people's valid concerns regarding new features and long standing fixes for old ones. The anxiety comes from the fact that you dodge this issue by telling us you are listening when your actions suggest otherwise. When you are the mouthpiece for a company and people don't trust what you say, they end up not trusting the company and the direction in which it is headed. If you were open and transparent with users, this anxiety wouldn't be so pronounced.
How do you figure? People have been asking for new instruments for years (myself included). New stock synths is very healthy for the program to continue to grow. Not everyone has invested in vst’s or re’s. While I do agree more transparency would be helpful, you’re constant posting on this is a bit over the top. Coming from Logic, which literally tells you NOTHING about the future direction, even a simple line as “we hear you” is nice. They can not have every update relevant to every single user, but judging by their new pace of updates, I’m confident they’ll address other areas of the DAW in future updates.

User avatar
jayhosking
Posts: 613
Joined: 28 Nov 2016

Post 09 Oct 2017

1. I hadn't considered how much easier this will make it to collaborate with other users, since it'll be much easier to share the same REs again. Good call, RT team!

2. Like some of you, I worry about the Reason software going subscription-only and probably would be pushed away if Props went that direction. But it sounds like, if anything, they will only add subscription as an option for Reason and still allow the traditional option to buy/upgrade.

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3971
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 09 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017
people will pick out a few things. Use them on tracks, change their bundle to try new releases, then come back to the old tracks and realise they need REs that are no longer part of their bundle. This will push people to add the missing REs back and therefore push them up into the higher-paid subscriptions.
Just playing devils advocate - Export as an Audio Track...job done. Ok....you got me, you need to fix that snare...darn it lol!
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.25 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Quarmat and 0 guests