PH makes subscriptions?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
NekujaK

09 Oct 2017

This is a smart move by the Props to help REs remain viable in the big wide world of VSTs. Only time will tell if it works, or if REs will go the way of the dinosaur.
wreaking havoc with :reason: since 2.5
:arrow: https://soundcloud.com/nekujak-donnay/sets

chimp_spanner

09 Oct 2017

I've no problem with this tbh. I mean the standard bundle is 9EU p/m. I *definitely* spend more than 108EU a year on REs and tbh, a lot of them sit unused (you know how it is, 9EU here, 9EU there, and you never open it again). It'd take 44 months before you've actually spent the value of the products. More than enough time, I'd say, to save a little money and invest in the ones you want to keep.

When it comes to having too much choice and too many devices...I mean that's ultimately on us, as producers. And it's not exclusive to Reason either. There are far more VSTs out there than REs, and many of them are free. I'd not say that that's a barrier to me making music. It just means I have to be selective in terms of what I really need.

Sometimes with Reason I'll just limit myself to the Reason Devices category before I start looking at my REs and VSTs. It's healthy to work with limitations sometimes!

But yeah, super interesting. I hope it makes RE development a more attractive prospect for some of my favourite devs!!

Pralijah

09 Oct 2017

Very interesting. Will demand some discipline and good planning. Hopefully it can stimulate more creativity.
Guess PH will mention it in the next Livestream on friday. Paying €129 for an upgrade might have to wait a bit
when one is on the R9.5. But for all of those who are a few steps back in the version, they might see one more
benefit to upgrade to the latest as many of the recent RE's needs a higher version of the software to function.
Make music shake again!

olive6741

09 Oct 2017

Anybody knows if there is a minimum duration subscription in the subscription way of getting RE ?

It seems all new to me. And not documented yet?

Pralijah

09 Oct 2017

Wonder the same. I dared not to push any bottons when loggen in recently, that I might by mistake make a subscription. Seems so new that I am sure PH will make a video or talk about it on friday's livestream on Facebook.
Make music shake again!

Zac

09 Oct 2017

So long as they don't apply it to Reason itself and don't remove the option to buy REs I think it's a good idea. I'd certainly be very interested if they found a way to apply it to expensive VSTs such as ozone/neutron etc.

As for the dependance issues some have raised regarding song backwards compatibility, I would use bounce to track for my subscription REs. Not perfect but gives you some protection from having 'holes' in your song files.

nbot

09 Oct 2017

Well, I hope it's not a preparation for Reason's own subscription model. I don't want to run away again to a new DAW

EdGrip

09 Oct 2017

I can see how it's an attractive offer for some, but it makes me nervous. I REALLY don't want PH to go full Adobe. I certainly would sack Reason off entirely if that happened.

I think that wouldn't end well for PH if they tried it. I think we might well see side-by-side subscribe or purchase options for Reason itself though.

chimp_spanner

09 Oct 2017

Zac wrote:
09 Oct 2017
So long as they don't apply it to Reason itself and don't remove the option to buy REs I think it's a good idea. I'd certainly be very interested if they found a way to apply it to expensive VSTs such as ozone/neutron etc.

As for the dependance issues some have raised regarding song backwards compatibility, I would use bounce to track for my subscription REs. Not perfect but gives you some protection from having 'holes' in your song files.
You can still buy REs. But I did notice that Tube-Tech isn't there. In the RT interview PH did state that 100% of REs will be available though, so I guess that means it's coming?

As far as applying it to Reason...I mean, again, I think there will *always* be the option to buy so it really shouldn't affect us negatively if they do decide to take Reason in this direction, which tbh, isn't impossible.

Having a regular, consistent cash flow in between updates and without relying entirely on Rack Store sales could be very good for Reason development. But - and I say this as someone with a LOT of love for Reason - I think it would have to come with nothing short of a legally binding agreement to work on the core program :lol: I mean personally, I would happily pay 10 bucks a month instead of 129 every year if it meant that there was a timeline for features like folder tracks, multi-channel MIDI, a better audio editor, continued VST optimisation, custom content locations and maybe a little sweetener like a new rack added to your collection every now and then (kinda like XBox Live's Games with Gold plan; every month you get a handful of games for free in addition to access to the platform).

That's how I would envisage it anyway. I feel like a Reason sub is probably on the way. But I wouldn't panic too much. No-one will force you to do it, just like no-one is forcing you to rent REs. Interesting times ahead, though!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

09 Oct 2017

nbot wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Well, I hope it's not a preparation for Reason's own subscription model. I don't want to run away again to a new DAW
Yeah I hope any sort of subscription model they implement will always be optional. Otherwise it would be very disappointing to say the least.
I want to pay for my stuff once and then I want to own it.
Last edited by TritoneAddiction on 09 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.

motuscott

09 Oct 2017

How would this work if your machine lives offline?
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

nbot

09 Oct 2017

Agreed

sot

09 Oct 2017

motuscott wrote:
09 Oct 2017
How would this work if your machine lives offline?
it can work alright cause codemeter protection can offer time based licenses, i have used this to try the sim/game Steel Beasts Pro (Time-Limited License) for one month some time ago (reason 30day trial works that way too probably)
Last edited by sot on 09 Oct 2017, edited 1 time in total.
:reason: 10

Creativemind

09 Oct 2017

Tumble wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Not even a fan of subscriptions either, but this looks well executed. You have reasonable prices and the ability to make custom bundles (TAKE NOTES, NI!). :thumbs_up:

I wonder if they're going to include VSTs later on.
VST's - that occurred to me as well. Fab Filter Pro Q 2 would be sweet.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Oquasec

09 Oct 2017

That is fucking perfect.
I thought 400$ a year was pushing it lmfao oh my god man xD
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

chimp_spanner

09 Oct 2017

nbot wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Agreed
As much as anyone can own anything, I guess! I've bought a bunch of games digitally and if for whatever reason the platform ceases to exist I'll have no rights to the software. Sucks but it's kind of the nature of the beast. But yeah I mean in general I will pay full price up front if it means owning it, whatever that means in the context of non-tangible goods.

Creativemind

09 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Just over £8 a month on the standard one in English money, hmmmm, not a bad deal though. a €1000 worth of Re's. Sounds very tempting actually.

Just as long as Reason doesn't go down this road.
Sorry got that wrong, €400 worth of Re's for €9 a month. Just done a tally on what I'd like and it came to nearly €1700 lol! so I'd definitely need the €29 €3000 Re package (Large).

They need one for €2000 worth of Re's too. That would apply to me and working it out, would be around €24 a month.

chimp_spanner

09 Oct 2017

Creativemind wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Creativemind wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Just over £8 a month on the standard one in English money, hmmmm, not a bad deal though. a €1000 worth of Re's. Sounds very tempting actually.

Just as long as Reason doesn't go down this road.
Sorry got that wrong, €400 worth of Re's for €9 a month. Just done a tally on what I'd like and it came to nearly €1700 lol! so I'd definitely need the €29 €3000 Re package (Large).

They need one for €2000 worth of Re's too. That would apply to me and working it out, would be around €24 a month.
Ah the old Apple trick. Offer people 16GB and 64GB but no 32GB. So their choices are "what I can afford but nowhere near enough" or "more than I need but more than I wanna pay" :lol:

Creativemind

09 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
09 Oct 2017
Creativemind wrote:
09 Oct 2017

Ah the old Apple trick. Offer people 16GB and 64GB but no 32GB. So their choices are "what I can afford but nowhere near enough" or "more than I need but more than I wanna pay" :lol:
Yeah. It's like dangling a carrot in front of a hungry donkey. :D

Creativemind

09 Oct 2017

Goodbye wrote:
09 Oct 2017
It's quite a good deal actually, but it makes Reason 10 even less appealing.

Strange they haven't even made an announcement.
I'm guessing this subscription model only applies to Reason 9 or above owners? Some Re's wouldn't be available otherwise.

Kenni
Site Admin

09 Oct 2017

The minimum subscription length is 1 month.
Kenni Andruszkow
SoundCloud

Goodbye

09 Oct 2017

I think that wouldn't end well for PH if they tried it. I think we might well see side-by-side subscribe or purchase options for Reason itself though.
It worked out well for Adobe - they did a simultaneous buy or subscribe thing then just removed the buy option. They have made a killing from it, but the flipside is that their development of new features and speed fixing bugs has become laughably slow. They don't need to because everybody is locked in. However they have a pretty unassailable monopoly in the (visual) creative industries and Propellerhead certainly don't in music production.

I think it is inevitable that they will go full subscription for Reason, but they'll do it slowly. First RE bundles, then RE with Reason bundles, then finally only RE with Reason bundles.

Oquasec

09 Oct 2017

If they ever do, it gotta be multiple options.
Monthly as it is right now, and half a decade plans for whatever price they can think of.
Or just keep the buy option alongside the subscription model and not confuse it's user-base beyond that.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Jagwah

09 Oct 2017

A few people have been wanting this for years so good for them. As long as it doesn't shake things up with my REs it's no bother to me.

EdGrip

09 Oct 2017

I've got a real "make hay while the sun shines" mentality - in all circumstances I want to pay all the money now while I can afford it rather than pay lots of different subscriptions into an uncertain future. I always buy the phone, and then find the cheapest SIM-only unlimited data plan. I hate the thought of being tied in to paying big money regularly. Makes me anxious.

• Information