Reason should have 3 different versions to avoid unwanted content

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Alkua
Posts: 280
Joined: 30 Apr 2015

Post 30 Sep 2017

For example with Reason 9:

Reason 9 Standard $299: whatever Reason 9 have included.

Reason 9 Extended $399: include Reason 9 Standard + VST Support

Reason 9 Full $599: Include

- Reason 9 Extended
- All Propellerhead RE (maybe not the A-list)
- New Content of reason 10

Upgrade prices: Standard $99 and Full $199

So, if you are happy with stock instruments and RE, you pay $99 for upgrade.
If you want VST and you are happy with Native Instrument, Serum, Output instruments, etc... you don't have to upgrade.
and if you love whatever Propellerhead makes, you pay $199.

I think FL studio does something like that.

User avatar
esselfortium
Posts: 1405
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 30 Sep 2017

There's actually a better deal already in place. If you want the version without Reason 10 devices, it costs nothing and it's as simple as not getting this update. I'm not sure why you're offering to pay more for less here...

User avatar
Alkua
Posts: 280
Joined: 30 Apr 2015

Post 30 Sep 2017

I think I did't explain well my idea. It is mainly for new license and if the upgrade bring core and instruments improvement.

User avatar
Carly(Poohbear)
Posts: 2721
Joined: 25 Jan 2015
Location: UK

Post 30 Sep 2017

It does not make sense, so I buy Reason 9 Extended, I don't want the extra instruments in the latest upgrade, standard does not include VST whereas your Reason 9 Extended did? So if I upgrade via your standard path and I lose VST!!!

PH don't even have tiered pricing between versions and now to add tiered pricing on content !!!

A lot of people want an upgrade with features added to SEQ, Mixer, midi, performance and the device many want upgraded is the combinator.

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2908
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 01 Oct 2017

So basically if I upgrade from R9 and I don't want the new intruments I pay $99 (euros in my case) for nothing. The whole upgrade is about the instruments.

And if I want the upgrade with the instruments I pay $199 which is a lot more then PHs price?

Hmmm, no thanks.

User avatar
Alkua
Posts: 280
Joined: 30 Apr 2015

Post 01 Oct 2017

In the upgrade there is not standard upgrade, so it just don't upgrade.

Another example

Reason 10 Standard $49:

- Track Folder
- Automation curve
- MP3 Export
- Better Zoom
- Dark and Grey Mixer
- Ghost Midi note
- Paint Brush
- Ect....

Reason 10 Full $149:

Reason Standard upgrade + the 6 new instrument

The price could be less or more, it is just an example, and also the full could bring more because include all PH RE (like Layers).

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2252
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 01 Oct 2017

Who knows? Creating different product offerings is a bit of a guessing game. Especially when you are already a niche of a niche.

We've already got Essentials.

And a $49 upgrade option just might not be financially viable. Whatever they're doing now is effectively paying the bills.
---

sdst
Posts: 847
Joined: 14 Jun 2015

Post 01 Oct 2017

Reason creative cloud 2017, $10 per month + a free REs every three months by lottery, + chances of winning a t shirt

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 2359
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 01 Oct 2017

All roads lead to Reason Interstellar© (Beyond the Clouds): $30 for Reason + Re + Any VSTs sold exclusively in the Prop's store. Save $5 a month is paid full yearly. RE devs get a bigger cut that VSTs dev. One click install/license solution management with your Reason ID.
:ugeek:
757365206c6f67696320746f207365656b20616e73776572732075736520726561736f6e20746f2066696e6420776973646f6d

User avatar
Karim
Posts: 922
Joined: 16 Jan 2015
Location: Italy

Post 01 Oct 2017

esselfortium wrote:There's actually a better deal already in place. If you want the version without Reason 10 devices, it costs nothing and it's as simple as not getting this update. I'm not sure why you're offering to pay more for less here...
Indeed.. it's why I'll wait for 10.5 (when I'll buy 2 update at the price of 129$). Simply as a cake 🤹[emoji6]

Inviato dal mio SM-G935F utilizzando Tapatalk

Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: Vers 11.3  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

lowpryo
Posts: 451
Joined: 22 Jan 2015

Post 01 Oct 2017

this is unnecessarily complicated, and trying to please everyone when it's IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone. even if they put in the effort for these separate versions you'll have people complaining that they want the "full" content WITHOUT VST support, or some other combination.

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2847
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 01 Oct 2017

How about this?
Subscription model for all updates and RE for 200$ a year or 800$ for 5 years.
Reason full for 400$.
Reason essentials as it is for 20$.

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2252
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 01 Oct 2017

Oquasec wrote:
01 Oct 2017
How about this?
Subscription model for all updates and RE for 200$ a year or 800$ for 5 years.
Reason full for 400$.
Reason essentials as it is for 20$.
There should only be two price points otherwise it will get confusing for users.

So $100 per year for Reason with 3 hours of cloud storage for audio exports, or $100,000 per year for Reason with access to every rack extension.

They'll make billions :lol: :twisted:

Verdane Capital if you're listening, I do consultations for $10,000 an hour :thumbs_up:
---

TritoneAddiction
Posts: 2908
Joined: 29 Aug 2015
Location: Sweden

Post 01 Oct 2017

lowpryo wrote:
01 Oct 2017
this is unnecessarily complicated, and trying to please everyone when it's IMPOSSIBLE to please everyone. even if they put in the effort for these separate versions you'll have people complaining that they want the "full" content WITHOUT VST support, or some other combination.
I agree. I'm just imagining the most annoying customer ever with requests like "I want the dark theme, but not the blue one, don't want pitch correction, but I want VSTs, I'll take Europa but not the other ones. Now how much is that?" A silly example of course but you get my point.

Also just quickly explaining what any new upgrade is and how much it costs would be a hassle. It would be a marketing nightmare for Propellerhead. Unless they sold new features seperately like: Pitch correction 20 bucks, Automation Curves 5 bucks and so on. Then they could make seperate videos on them.

I feel like a good thing about the upgrade numbers is that everyone knows what it means. This makes it easier if people want to collaborate for example or share files. Otherwise looking a couple of years forward it would probably just become Reason (without numbers) and everybody has a different program. I'm not sure that would be a good thing.

djsmex
Posts: 143
Joined: 23 Aug 2016

Post 01 Oct 2017

I think PH currently have a good simple upgrade option, one upgrade price regardless of which version you are upgrading from. So it's $129 from Reason 9 or from Reason 1. This allows people to choose when best to upgrade, if Reason 10, doesn't do it for you, simply wait till 10.5 or 11 etc. Pay once and get the bits you want and everything else at one simple price.
What's more when collaborating, you know if you are all using reason 9 or above, all the reason 9 and before features work. An option for RE subscriptions may be worth it, for people to get many REs for hire instead of purchase but I think it important we keep the purchase option for all those of us who have bought REs.

User avatar
FlowerSoldier
Posts: 470
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 01 Oct 2017

Image

EdGrip
Posts: 2122
Joined: 03 Jun 2016

Post 01 Oct 2017

Karim wrote:
01 Oct 2017
Indeed.. it's why I'll wait for 10.5 (when I'll buy 2 update at the price of 129$). Simply as a cake 🤹[emoji6]
Well, if you buy 10 now you'll get 10.5 anyway. Only makes sense if you wait for 11. ^_^

Unless you mean you want to wait and see what 10 turns into before spending money!

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2580
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 02 Oct 2017

I can’t see there being any appetite for this. Reason should be...everything currently in that version. No need for extra complication. Way too much hassle to save a few extra bucks and end up with some weird diluted version of Reason.

User avatar
avasopht
Posts: 2252
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 02 Oct 2017

chimp_spanner wrote:
02 Oct 2017
I can’t see there being any appetite for this. Reason should be...everything currently in that version. No need for extra complication. Way too much hassle to save a few extra bucks and end up with some weird diluted version of Reason.
Well maybe not subscription. I always thought Propellerhead might offer Reason for free because with Rack Extensions they can focus on selling bundles like Rigs.

You might even find people spending more because all they're thinking about is what sounds and racks they can get.

Only problem with that is that maybe after $2,000 of REs you get diminishing returns and another RE would not offer anything to you since you have everything you need.

Soooo we're back to square one.
---

User avatar
AttenuationHz
Posts: 1881
Joined: 20 Mar 2015
Location: Back of the Rack-1

Post 02 Oct 2017

Sorry but a Terrible idea! If this ever happened I would be finding a different DAW. Its bad enough being frustrated from update to update when features are not included and other issues only resolved in an upgrade. Splitting features into different priced packages or subscription would kill Propellerhead.

Reason is not a strong enough competitor to do so anyway. It is seriously lagging behind other DAW's. Avid only do it because they are at the top of the food chain. Ableton also only do it because they half a slight edge with live capabilities.
avasopht wrote:
02 Oct 2017
chimp_spanner wrote:
02 Oct 2017
I can’t see there being any appetite for this. Reason should be...everything currently in that version. No need for extra complication. Way too much hassle to save a few extra bucks and end up with some weird diluted version of Reason.
Well maybe not subscription. I always thought Propellerhead might offer Reason for free because with Rack Extensions they can focus on selling bundles like Rigs.

You might even find people spending more because all they're thinking about is what sounds and racks they can get.

Only problem with that is that maybe after $2,000 of REs you get diminishing returns and another RE would not offer anything to you since you have everything you need.

Soooo we're back to square one.
Interesting you say that. If you actually stripped every device from Reason and were just left with the strength of reason being its features what would you have? It would need to come a long way for people to consider buying add-ons.
Waiting for Navigation by Routing to be added! viewtopic.php?p=275484#p275484f=6&t=749 ... 97#p275497
:refill: http://rwrd.io/qx9m5wx Referral!

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: anko, Trendiction [Bot] and 4 guests