Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
miscend

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
25 Sep 2017

I think you will be very pleasantly surprised. :)
Hope so, but your track record isn't exactly inspiring.

So Subtractor didn't exactly set the world afire sonically.

Malstrom was ok, but again - meh. Yeah it has loads of stuff you can tweak onboard, but again, sonically??? No.

Then Thor comes out and is immediately better than any Reason synth. But outside of the Reason bubble so many here seem to be at home in, Thor was mediocre (compared to some high profile VST plugins). And again, I am speaking sonically....sure Thor has loads of "stuff" onboard. But the sound...it's all about the sound.

Then I don't even remember - PX7? Which again , didn't do much for elevating FM synthesis to the next level, functionally or sonically.

And then....Parsec? The "king of thin", as I like to call it. Again, yes it is feature rich, but sonically?? No. Unless you are limited to the Reason bubble, then you'd probably think it's amazing. Those of us not limited to the Reason bubble - it's mediocre.

So now these 2 new synths which you are about to release, you say we're going to be surprised. But what are you comparing them to? Reason's internal synths??? What about compared to Omnisphere or Alchemy?? I really don't care if it has a bunch of options, and modules, and parameters, and CV this CV that. I just want it to sound as hi-fi, as expensive, as glossy, rich, thick , wide, as a really high quality synth plugin.

So we'll see, but I doubt it.
In all fairness Subtractor came out around when 2001? At that time not much was comparable. None of the other virtual synths from that era is even still usable - the quality is so bad. VSTi’s like Steinberg Model-E, Neon etc.

The only Propellerhead synth I don’t like is Parsec. It just doesn’t sit very well in a mix. The other synths have a nice sound IMHO the early Prodigy albums were made in Reason. And a lot of early Drum and Bass was made in Reason. Their synths are not super clinical and HIFI sounding like Serum but they are good for aggressive sounding genres.

stratatonic

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
[

So now these 2 new synths which you are about to release, you say we're going to be surprised. But what are you comparing them to? Reason's internal synths??? What about compared to Omnisphere or Alchemy?? I really don't care if it has a bunch of options, and modules, and parameters, and CV this CV that. I just want it to sound as hi-fi, as expensive, as glossy, rich, thick , wide, as a really high quality synth plugin.

So we'll see, but I doubt it.
Well, there are more FX included with these two Propellerhead synths than any other.
So I would expect epic for Reason 10 synth patches right from the get go.

Reverbs, Delays, Distortions, Compression, Phasers, EQ

I'd like to see a stand-alone FX unit as well from Propellerhead that include these quality effects.

stratatonic

25 Sep 2017

123repeater wrote:
25 Sep 2017
stratatonic wrote:
23 Sep 2017

Klang and Pang and Sang
Sample Players split in three
Should have been just one.

klang.jpg
pang.jpg
sang.jpg
Lol you're the grumpiest guy ever just go make some music my friend! If i wanted a strat or a tele I wouldt tell fender to make just 1... I think separating vastly different sample types into different racks parts will be more intuitive in the end.
Review in Haiku
Random Thoughts on Reason 10
Is My Gift To You

Your Reply to Me?
Calling me the grumpiest.
Awesome compliment!

This place is the best
I can get on with my day
Knowing that you care.

Maybe you are right
Having three could be ok
We will have to see
Last edited by stratatonic on 25 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Pa

25 Sep 2017

stp2015 wrote:
25 Sep 2017
QVprod wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Seems quite a few here are more interested in graphic design than the synths themselves....
The reason for this is that working with the outdated resolution is becoming less and less pleasant, especially on laptops with high res displays. So, while I like the Synths more than graphics, I do want to see them clearly... :D
Yes ! Who cares what they (Synths) can do if we don't even want to look at them or can't see them well enough to use them to their full potential :?:

Creativemind

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017
I didn't say we didn't have freedom here...I just want what Ernst thinks everybody wants, and that's MORE of it. More synths, more kick drums, more freedom. You know, like Braveheart. :puf_wink:
Why? yeah if that's what you want but not as an update. Features please.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

davidvilla

25 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017
I didn't say we didn't have freedom here...I just want what Ernst thinks everybody wants, and that's MORE of it. More synths, more kick drums, more freedom. You know, like Braveheart. :puf_wink:
Lol, I am pretty sure you took my post out of context.

Nick Pa

25 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017

Yes !! Even 1 feature please !!!! ?

SoulState

25 Sep 2017

Two new synths - I didn't have before.
Three new instruments - I didn't have before.
Three gig worth of new sounds - I didn't have before.

...Plus Rad piano + Synchronous bundled-in just to sweeten things up even more. All this just months after R9.5 VST arrived!

Props, If I had the spare bit coins, I'd pay you all so you could take the rest of the year off. But until that day comes...THANKS!

davidvilla

25 Sep 2017

miscend wrote:
25 Sep 2017

The other synths have a nice sound IMHO the early Prodigy albums were made in Reason.
Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned was made in Reason. That's it. Not the earlier stuff. And I'm not even going to get into the "sound" of that specific album, as it has already been notoriously vilified across the internets.

But since you brought them up, let's not forget Liam's true feelings about Reason:

----- "I'm not f**king promoting them (Proppellerheads) anymore!

----- They haven't done anything wrong, I'm just fed up with…you know, I still use it, but I also use Logic, Protools, I use Ableton, I use whatever is there really. Reason is good for getting shit happening quickly, but it doesn't sound like Logic or Protools, they sound better."
Last edited by davidvilla on 25 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

EnochLight

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Reason is good for getting shit happening quickly, but it doesn't sound like Logic or Protools, they sound better.
Strange. I've used both Logic and ProTools, yet I've never heard this mysterious better sound that everyone keeps talking about. In fact, wasn't it selig who helped debunk that whole myth of DAW "A" sounds different than DAW "B" a long time ago? No offense, but I'd trust his tests and ears over yours.

Use the same plugins/VST/AAX/whatever in all DAW, and they all sound the same. And comparing modern VST with 15-17 year old plugins like Subtractor and Mal? Lol! :lol: :lol: :lol: Come on, now.... let's at least be fair in our comparisons.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

EdGrip

25 Sep 2017

My understanding had been that he used Reason as a quick playground/sketchpad and then implemented those ideas in more conventional (for the time) ways.

But funny you should mention it. I was just listening to the Prodigy earlier. Forgot how much I love those tunes.

Creativemind

25 Sep 2017

esefelipe wrote:
24 Sep 2017
Creativemind wrote:
24 Sep 2017

Yeah that's 2 devices out of 12 I can name that you would've thought would've been stock devices in a professional daw in 2017.

The other 10 are:- An Exciter, a De-Esser, a Transient Designer / Shaper, an Expander, a Chorus (not a chorus flanger), a good Metering Tool, a Vectorscope / Ganometer, a Test Oscillator, a Graphic EQ and a Clip Distortion device.
In the meantime...check out the Factory Sound Bank “ALL Effects Patches” folder.

You’ll find tons of Multiband Compressors, De-essers, Exciters, Gates, and even a Transient Shaper. Graphic EQ = BV512. Test Osc = Thor.

Is any of that ideal? No. But it sure feels like the “Reason” way of doing things, especially for the last 12 years that we’ve had the Combinator.
These to me though are work arounds. I just tried looking for a transient shaper in the effects. Yes, there was 4 or 5 there but just combi mock ups. Ok, I'm not technically minded enough to know if these lack in any way, the things I'd want from a transient shaper in Reason but the first thing I noticed is the dials / parameters in the combi don't work in the right readings, like attack and decay in one of them wasn't in milliseconds or seconds. Also another thing I noticed on checking out the Khs one in the shop is that the Khs one has a visual display on it to show you how you're shaping the transient / envelope of whatever.

Nice suggestions though but for me, not an ideal solution, just a work around. I think all the devices I've mentioned (seeing as they should be stock) should have versions free in the shop and the Props should come to some sort of deal with the manufacturers so we get them to download free in out rack.

I vote Selig De-Esser and Gain, Khs Transient Shaper, Flower Audio 4 Dyne Multiband Compressor, LAB:ONE RECORDINGS REQ-131, Chenile Chorus, Red Rock Sounds RE-202 Exciter, GVXT G-Clip, Develoop Holedo Tube Expander and then the Props make a Vectorscope, An (as many bands as you want, not just 4) Spectrum EQ 2 that you can stick anywhere and a Test Oscillator. I know sounds a bit like an out there fairytale but just a suggestion.

Gulale

25 Sep 2017

speaking of back in the days this is my fav.
Gulale aka Bereket

davidvilla

25 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Reason is good for getting shit happening quickly, but it doesn't sound like Logic or Protools, they sound better.
Strange. I've used both Logic and ProTools, yet I've never heard this mysterious better sound that everyone keeps talking about. In fact, wasn't it selig who helped debunk that whole myth of DAW "A" sounds different than DAW "B" a long time ago? No offense, but I'd trust his tests and ears over yours.
Uh - you mean Liam Howlett's ears because I was quoting what Mr. Prodigy said. So I think I'll go with Liam's ears.

EnochLight

25 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Uh - you mean Liam Howlett's ears because I was quoting what Mr. Prodigy said. So I think I'll go with Liam's ears.
My statement still applies. Liam isn't immune to screwing up, and I'll take a conclusive demonstration with reproducible test results over someone's feelz, any day of the week. Pretty sure you were part of the thread I'm referencing. Maybe not, though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Creativemind

25 Sep 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Which 1? Curved Automation, Track Freeze, Manual Parameter Inputs, Ganged Faders on the Main Mixer, Ghost Copying in the Sequencer, Tempo Detect of Audio, Undo Events List.....lol!

pjeudy

25 Sep 2017

QVprod wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Seems quite a few here are more interested in graphic design than the synths themselves....
Mmm..that might not be it. This thread is 26 pages Long and counting, at this point you can look at it as a Long conversation. And we all know how that can branch off to other topics.

Now it's time to focus on the UI ..lol... since no one can yet talk at length about these devices. I'm sure this thread will branch off yet again within a few post :puf_smile:
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

Nick Pa

25 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Nick Pa wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Which 1? Curved Automation, Track Freeze, Manual Parameter Inputs, Ganged Faders on the Main Mixer, Ghost Copying in the Sequencer, Tempo Detect of Audio, Undo Events List.....lol!
Yes...Pick 1...any 1... but they picked 0 ! :lol:

davidvilla

25 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
25 Sep 2017
My statement still applies. Liam isn't immune to screwing up, and I'll take a conclusive demonstration with reproducible test results over someone's feelz, any day of the week. Pretty sure you were part of the thread I'm referencing. Maybe not, though.
Well, isn't music about "feelz"?

Anyway, there's no use resurrecting this debate. I'm going on a bike ride.

kungubu

25 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
25 Sep 2017
EdGrip wrote:
25 Sep 2017
I'm not a fan of the cheap red plastic knobs, but that's just me.
I'm guessing you're not that aware of Buchla? All I can say for certain: they're very far from cheap. ;)

Why Buchla – when the knobs and sliders obviously are much closer to Verbos...
Harmonic-Oscillator-sml.jpg
Harmonic-Oscillator-sml.jpg (187.57 KiB) Viewed 4611 times

Aosta

25 Sep 2017

Soooooo does this mean Noel will be putting on a Kalimba song challenge? :eh:
Tend the flame

EnochLight

25 Sep 2017

Aosta wrote:
25 Sep 2017
A Europa/Grain song challenge would be pretty sweet. ;)

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Aosta wrote:
25 Sep 2017
A Europa/Grain song challenge would be pretty sweet. ;)
Well since you can't really win them (unless we win the Reason 10 upgrade or something) you're always welcome over to the "One Synth EP Challenge" thread to make some new music and share it with the rest of us.
I know I'll do something like that with the new devices.

Creativemind

25 Sep 2017

Nick Pa wrote:
25 Sep 2017
Creativemind wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Yes...Pick 1...any 1... but they picked 0 ! :lol:
I know lol! One thing I will say though is...10 isn't out yet so it's all speculation. And there's point versions with 10 to come. I'm in 2 minds to upgrade or not. The new synths look amazing don't get me wrong but I want features and wondering if point versions will give us anything significant.

deepndark

25 Sep 2017

I wish Reason to sound as authentic as possible, when using it. I must say it's hard to accomplish this. My opinion anyway, if it's anything worth for anyone at this point.

Edit: And convincing too.

• Information