Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
davidvilla

24 Sep 2017

QVprod wrote:
24 Sep 2017

That's because the person in reference isn't on here ;).
Yeah, well, I'm glad there are other places where we can speak a little more freely. ;)

QVprod

24 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017
QVprod wrote:
24 Sep 2017

That's because the person in reference isn't on here ;).
Yeah, well, I'm glad there are other places where we can speak a little more freely. ;)
Speech is quite free here. I've made negative comments about Reason and Reason piano content in general myself. As Joey posted above, we'd just prefer it not being antagonistic. Discussion is totally fine and welcomed.

Also fair point: as bad as KVR can get, the person in question is currently banned there.

esefelipe

24 Sep 2017

Creativemind wrote:
24 Sep 2017
manuel radioact77 wrote:
24 Sep 2017
3- The SSL it's nice, but i would like: an integrated (not RE, not VST) free good flexible EQ that allows micro EQ adjustments. And an integrated (not RE, not VST) good multiband compressor.
Yeah that's 2 devices out of 12 I can name that you would've thought would've been stock devices in a professional daw in 2017.

The other 10 are:- An Exciter, a De-Esser, a Transient Designer / Shaper, an Expander, a Chorus (not a chorus flanger), a good Metering Tool, a Vectorscope / Ganometer, a Test Oscillator, a Graphic EQ and a Clip Distortion device.
In the meantime...check out the Factory Sound Bank “ALL Effects Patches” folder.

You’ll find tons of Multiband Compressors, De-essers, Exciters, Gates, and even a Transient Shaper. Graphic EQ = BV512. Test Osc = Thor.

Is any of that ideal? No. But it sure feels like the “Reason” way of doing things, especially for the last 12 years that we’ve had the Combinator.

davidvilla

24 Sep 2017

I didn't say we didn't have freedom here...I just want what Ernst thinks everybody wants, and that's MORE of it. More synths, more kick drums, more freedom. You know, like Braveheart. :puf_wink:

dvdrtldg

24 Sep 2017

JiggeryPokery wrote:
23 Sep 2017

I'm just a little surprised they've gone for two synths though, and ended up with... I don't know. Compared to all the other PH Reason synths, stock or RE, even the original v1 skin for Parsec, the GUI's for both Europa and Grain, are ... I don't know. Something is off about them, they look underdeveloped
Agree with this. I try not to let an unattractive UI bother me too much if the synth itself does what I want it to do, but these really aren't up to standard in the graphics department. Even Layers, which was received with about as much enthusiasm around here as a fart in an elevator, looks way nicer and more "finished" than Europa and Grain

Not that it's going to stop me from upgrading, Grain in particular should be interesting and an expanded FSB will be nice too. I'd also be very surprised if there weren't some features that haven't been announced yet

EnochLight

24 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017
QVprod wrote:
24 Sep 2017
Speech is quite free here. I've made negative comments about Reason and Reason piano content in general myself. As Joey posted above, we'd just prefer it not being antagonistic. Discussion is totally fine and welcomed.
I don't think anyone here has ever been limited to what they can say, just so long as it doesn't become personal attacks, antagonizing, and within the realm of the forum rules. In fact, half the stuff that happens here or at KVR would never fly over at places like Gearslutz, so consider ourselves luck! ;) :lol: The problem so much isn't with opposing views; it's how people choose to respond to the opposing views. Some seem be remiss in keeping that in perspective.
QVprod wrote:
24 Sep 2017
Also fair point: as bad as KVR can get, the person in question is currently banned there.
And that couldn't have happened soon enough. Seriously, it's just tiring. That guy clearly has issues deeper than just wanting a free speech forum - he's a sociopath!
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

AttenuationHz

24 Sep 2017

tc13 wrote:
24 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017

Counterpoint: This influencing isn't working on the majority, in case you haven't noticed.
In the poll here at ReasonTalk a majority seems happy enough to upgrade, only 22 per cent says no. So as usual it is the people with negative feelings against something that feels the need to express themselves in a very negative, and often very angry, way.

So nothing new there, people that feel angry, disapointed or that their needs havn't been catered for are the people that will be the loudest and complain the most. Even if their numbers are small, they make sure to be heard more and it is not unusual with claims that they represent the majority.

I havn't made up my mind yet about upgrading, I'm not really in to synths that much, but still, this seems like a really good upgrade since 7,8 and 9 really didnt give that much regarding sounds and new content.
Hahahahahha There be complaining about the complaining....

So because some people are not too pleased you feel the need to point that out who's the one with the negativity there, it's opinions. It's really not negative at all as you say disappointment of their own expectations deal with it. If it was all roses the thread would be dead pretty quickly. Very sensitive I must say! I understand where you're coming from but do you here anyone complaining about people being positive?
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 24 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Exowildebeest

24 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
24 Sep 2017

And that couldn't have happened soon enough. Seriously, it's just tiring. That guy clearly has issues deeper than just wanting a free speech forum - he's a sociopath!
Worms and soaring eagles :lol:

joeyluck

24 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
24 Sep 2017
tc13 wrote:
24 Sep 2017

In the poll here at ReasonTalk a majority seems happy enough to upgrade, only 22 per cent says no. So as usual it is the people with negative feelings against something that feels the need to express themselves in a very negative, and often very angry, way.

So nothing new there, people that feel angry, disapointed or that their needs havn't been catered for are the people that will be the loudest and complain the most. Even if their numbers are small, they make sure to be heard more and it is not unusual with claims that they represent the majority.

I havn't made up my mind yet about upgrading, I'm not really in to synths that much, but still, this seems like a really good upgrade since 7,8 and 9 really didnt give that much regarding sounds and new content.
I understand where you're coming from but do you here anyone complaining about people being positive?
Well believe it or not, I get hate mail about being too positive :? I constantly get accused of being a fanboy that praises everything that Propellerhead does. But I suppose all of my criticisms get overlooked because they lack a large dose of pessimism and drama.

Case in point: I made a post in this thread about 12 pages back about why this version probably isn't for me. But it gets overlooked. I guess it's a rather calm and reasonable statement of opinion that didn't put anyone else on the defensive. I didn't upgrade right away with R8 or R9 either. Yet, I seem to always get these hateful PMs and emails from people about being too positive and optimistic and worshipping Propellerhead. The Internet is a weird and interesting world.

Zac

24 Sep 2017

moneykube wrote:
24 Sep 2017
I apologize for my rant... been having a bad time dealing with mom's cancer death sentence... no excuse I know... I was in a really rotton mood....I will try to remain more sane... and reason rules
Take some time out please. You sh9uld be emotional, it's wrong not to be. My mum's death hurt me at 31, so unexpected. Take some time away. I hope you are OK.

davidvilla

24 Sep 2017

joeyluck wrote:
24 Sep 2017

Well believe it or not, I get hate mail about being too positive
You, I don't believe. But Enochlight? I would give you Hydronexious to read his private messages. :lol:

(Oh daaaaaarn, we can't transfer or sell rack extensions.)

QVprod

24 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
24 Sep 2017
The problem so much isn't with opposing views; it's how people choose to respond to the opposing views. Some seem be remiss in keeping that in perspective.
Exactly this ^
EnochLight wrote:
24 Sep 2017
QVprod wrote:
24 Sep 2017
Yeah clear issues. And they're pretty forgiving there. This isn't his first ban.

EnochLight

24 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017
joeyluck wrote:
24 Sep 2017

Well believe it or not, I get hate mail about being too positive
You, I don't believe. But Enochlight? I would give you Hydronexious to read his private messages. :lol:

(Oh daaaaaarn, we can't transfer or sell rack extensions.)
Hah! :lol: :lol: Yeah, I tend to be about as positive as Joey, me thinks. Strangely enough, I don't get any hate mail/PM's, though I'm not an admin here so... there's that! :lol: Despite your disdain for my opinions on Reason, I assure you that my PM's are pretty uneventful. You'd likely be more entertained watching paint dry.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2017

One thing that's good about making instruments native Reason devices rather than normal rack extensions is that most Reason users will eventually own them. Therefor there will most likely be more tutorials and refills made for them. It will just be more info and discussions about them overall I think.
I don't think most people have thought about this. Even the most popular REs don't even come close to the amount of search hits that the native devices get.
Who knows, maybe Europa will become the new Thor for Reason.

Oquasec

25 Sep 2017

That does make some good sense.
Bundling so many plugins into each update by default.

Didn't even think of this
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

123repeater

25 Sep 2017

electrofux wrote:
23 Sep 2017
gullum wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I made music with Reason for more then 10 years and have not had many problems with it close to non, so for me I don't get this fix the core and basic stuff first, because I never had problems with that. If you need 100 devices in each track to make your music sound good then maybe it is not Reason that is the problem. Maybe it is because I been using reason only for so many years that I don't have a need for to be like the program/s I used before I don't know.
I most certainly will upgrade on day one as I have done since the release of 6.5

When people talk about core things they most likely mean workflow enhancements and additions to the sequencer. And i think it is valid to point out the lack of advancement in that area. But given the quite substantial content in the update i don't think it is ok to whine around.

For example i would die to see Reason catch up with the competitors in the looping/clip launching area. Most of the DAWs nowadays have a means to arrange clips easiy/intuitively and most adopt the Ableton Clip Launcher style.
It is just something that cant be done in Reason and would be a huge step forward using Reason live if you think about how the various Launchpads can be effectively used for that.
We have Blocks though but they are not triggerable, so this would need an overhaul- that is just me though.

Then we have seen Players in the last update but they dont seem to build on the concept in this update.

Also no changes to the VST implementation which definitly lacks quite a few substantial things like VST Midi and Multi Channel support.

Also for older users there are the tiny changes here and there which yield alot of value for different groups of users (eg when they made ReDrum steps remotable i was cheering and would have payed for that alone). And there are just none in here.

People that dont care for more Synths (as good as the new one look) expected different stuff from Version 10 and are disappointed. But it is very hard to serve everyone.

But as said before the value of the update is fine, the speed of updates is very good currently AND there WERE alot of people asking for new content. It is just the package that is unbalanced for some.

So, valid to discuss the focus of the update but appreciate the speed and content is in place imho.
I think I'm in the same boat yearning for a clip launching and reaaaaally hoping its introduced before 11.

As for the players I've seen a lot of people asking about how they didn't upgrade those. I'd be interested to see what else can really be done with that?

If music is Rhythm/Harmony/Melody:

"scales/chords" takes care harmony and elements of melody.
"Dual Arp" takes care of aspects of rhythm and harmony, thus melody
"Note echo" takes care of rhythm and in some cases melody or harmony depending on what you are telling it to do.

Add on top of this alligator for more rhythmic diversity or delays and echoes..

I just don't know what else they could add but I'd love to hear ideas. Cheers.

123repeater

25 Sep 2017

stratatonic wrote:
23 Sep 2017
CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I think it's time for a wholesome haiku.

Prop lovers abroad
Making music with delight
They always want more
Klang and Pang and Sang
Sample Players split in three
Should have been just one.

klang.jpg
pang.jpg
sang.jpg
Lol you're the grumpiest guy ever just go make some music my friend! If i wanted a strat or a tele I wouldt tell fender to make just 1... I think separating vastly different sample types into different racks parts will be more intuitive in the end.

123repeater

25 Sep 2017

jlgrimes wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I'm kinda hoping they have more smaller tweaks that are unannounced.

Things I think are needed now:

1. Track Freeze (this would help mitigate the CPU use issue a lot). Being able to freeze/unfreeze should be a one-two click process.

2. VST performance improvements.

3. Browser enhancements. It could be me but it seems the new browser has some clunkyness to it. Browsing for samples vs patch browsing vs Rack extension browsing gets me screwed up. Ableton's browser seems smarter.

4. Piano Roll enhancements. Changing grid size should be key bindable. Paintbrush tool. Razor tool should divide into multiple notes upon grid size. Glue tool. Curve/Pattern tools for automation.

5. Notes on piano roll should reflect groove settings. View multiple tracks in one view.

6. Make blocks triggerable via a Global Quantize scheme and midi/key controllable.

7. Pan law settings for mixer.

8. Kong tape delay tempo sync.

9. More combinator knobs.

10. Full Recycle integration.
I think you hit the nail on the head with a lot of things that would be useful and seen as the type of update lots of people seemed to be after... however as much as I agree with you, not a single thing you list is stopping me from making a killer song with reason 6 let alone 9.5 or what will become of 10.

Krell

25 Sep 2017

Nothing stopped people making great music on a crappy 4-track and a stolen guitar but thats hardly the point. Everyone here loves Reason and we want it to be the best it can be, not half baked and lacking. Like this underwhelming 'update' which isn't really an update.
Reason 12 // Bitwig 4 // Live 11 // Logic Pro X // Fabfilter // Soundtoys // Arturia // Vintage Hardware

The_G

25 Sep 2017

The new synths look/sound cool, but why can't they upgrade Subtractor and Maelstrom? They are such lovely synths to make patches on but are now 15 years out of date--the filter algorithms especially.

Also, I hope they'll optimize Reason to run 3rd party plugins more efficiently than R9. I can run two or even three times as many instances of some plugins in Logic as I can in Reason. I love the Reason platform, so hopefully this is a priority.
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2017

The_G wrote:
25 Sep 2017
The new synths look/sound cool, but why can't they upgrade Subtractor and Maelstrom? They are such lovely synths to make patches on but are now 15 years out of date--the filter algorithms especially.

Also, I hope they'll optimize Reason to run 3rd party plugins more efficiently than R9. I can run two or even three times as many instances of some plugins in Logic as I can in Reason. I love the Reason platform, so hopefully this is a priority.
Subtractor and Malstrom will be the lofi synths. Which is now a new craze that's going on ;)
Last edited by aeox on 25 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

electrofux

25 Sep 2017

I really wonder why people dont take the speed of this update into account. I mean it was how long since 9.5? We used to get updates once every one or two years and they weren't any bigger. With that frequency of updates it is imho totally ok to concentrate on a certain feature set (in this case content).

The_G

25 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
25 Sep 2017
The_G wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Subtractor and Maelstrom will be the lofi synths. Which is now a new craze that's going on ;)
You're right, but the lo-fi stuff is basically anything run through tape machines or emulators. And the suuuuper "early ass analog modeling" slope on the filters won't get you the kind of grit you need for lo-fi :)
Cosmopolis, out now: : https://timeslaves.bandcamp.com/album/cosmopolis! Check out the first single, "City Lights:

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2017

The_G wrote:
25 Sep 2017
aeox wrote:
25 Sep 2017

Subtractor and Maelstrom will be the lofi synths. Which is now a new craze that's going on ;)
You're right, but the lo-fi stuff is basically anything run through tape machines or emulators. And the suuuuper "early ass analog modeling" slope on the filters won't get you the kind of grit you need for lo-fi :)
Hey you never know.. that super bad filter algorithm might be the sound of the future. In 2030 people will look back and say " Ah, remember the good ole' days when filters sounded like crap? We need some of that in our music!"

Edit: I wouldn't say lofi is limited to just tape, vinyl, etc. It could be how a digital filter resonance sounds, aliasing, etc. Any kind of "flaws"
Last edited by aeox on 25 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

Oquasec

25 Sep 2017

after listening to 90s house music, then listening to modern music...it seems like music has reached a certain point already.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information