Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
stratatonic

24 Sep 2017

sleep1979 wrote:
23 Sep 2017
What does essentials get new?
Nothing. The instruments in Reason 10 are there to entice those cheapskates using Essentials.

xylyx

24 Sep 2017

stratatonic wrote:
24 Sep 2017
wendylou wrote:
24 Sep 2017
It's propellerheads plural on their website, as in www.propellerheads.se
I think the "s" stands for software.
It was an error on Ernst's part. See the interview with KvR:

http://www.kvraudio.com/interviews/in-s ... -b-s-25935

Breach The Sky

24 Sep 2017

I for one want to know more about the two synths! Europa in particular is interesting to me. What does "dynamic wavetable" mean and what does it allow in a sound design context that "regular" wavetable synths can't do? Is the filter analog modeled? I see it's got drive at least, makes me happy. If it's suppose to "pick up where Thor left off" it must be something special indeed...

stratatonic

24 Sep 2017

xylyx wrote:
24 Sep 2017
stratatonic wrote:
24 Sep 2017

I think the "s" stands for software.

Couldn't he have just got another address without the "s"?

joeyluck

24 Sep 2017

stratatonic wrote:
24 Sep 2017
xylyx wrote:
24 Sep 2017

Couldn't he have just got another address without the "s"?
They did and it forwards to the one with the 's' :D

pjeudy

24 Sep 2017

AttenuationHz wrote:
24 Sep 2017
EdGrip wrote:
24 Sep 2017
I just had a look at the Reason 10 thread over at KVR! Haha! And you guys thought this thread was bad!
What's funny is can't find it got a link?
It been a massacre at the Propellerhead Facebook page also... sure some positive post ...but man I read a couple of minutes of it and the sense is that most people are no longer put in a trance by pretty devices...they want Props to grow the DAW Portion of REASON EXPONENTIALLY.
My opinion is that Propellerhead REASON needs a complete rewrite!
P.S: people should stop saying "No it won't happen" when referring to a complete rewrite of REASON. I have 3 letters for ya....VST
Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:53 pm

avasopht
Competition Winner

24 Sep 2017

wendylou wrote:
24 Sep 2017
But the logo on the website is Propellerhead :o

Well, the reason why is simply because for some strange reason they decided to treat propellerheads.se as the main site instead of propellerhead.se

mind2069

24 Sep 2017

pjeudy wrote:
24 Sep 2017
AttenuationHz wrote:
24 Sep 2017

What's funny is can't find it got a link?
It been a massacre at the Propellerhead Facebook page also... sure some positive post ...but man I read a couple of minutes of it and the sense is that most people are no longer put in a trance by pretty devices...they want Props to grow the DAW Portion of REASON EXPONENTIALLY.
Maybe I'm wrong, the massacre at KRV and Facebook is more representative of the general feeling of the biggest update ever, here we tend to have more fanboys that will simply applaud at everything PH does.

I had time to think and I really feel this is a complete joke of and update, (unless they reveal new stuff), I was exited when I saw the post but at the end I was like, is that all, really. So I waited and listen to it again, the biggest update ever, what a load of bullshit, how can they even have the audacity to make such a claim, who are they fooling.

Add the fact that may users own Radical Piano and Synchronous, this is really a 129$ for 2 RE's and some sort of IDT repackage, wich is good but harldy a great update.

If I was Mattias or any PH employe, I would do my best of course to keep face, but this gotta be the most ridiculous update to defend.

Of course, they will claim its the most popular release to date,

But I guess if a lot of reason 8 and less users have not upgraded when 9.5 was out, this maybe a great update for them, but for 9.5 owners, its a joke, a pure RE bundle

EnochLight

24 Sep 2017

mind2069 wrote:
24 Sep 2017
but for 9.5 owners, its a joke, a pure RE bundle
Counterpoint: 2 brand new first-class Rack Extension synths plus 3 GB of new modern sample content could easily be quantified as the biggest content update they've ever released. But they're also including 3 additional specialized instruments on top of that, as well as 2 additional RE's. Not really a joke for $129 USD, if you price out all of that content. But, obviously people have a lot of different feels over this. No shame in that!

feelz.gif
feelz.gif (964.8 KiB) Viewed 3695 times
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

davidvilla

24 Sep 2017

pjeudy wrote:
24 Sep 2017

It been a massacre at the Propellerhead Facebook page also...
Lol, where hasn't it been a massacre??? The overwhelming response has been NEGATIVE. Not even the pro-Reason fanatics can sugar coat it.

The people have spoken.

etyrnal

24 Sep 2017

Reminds me of how cereal boxes and potato chip bags have more and more air in them as time goes on. New and improved!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

davidvilla

24 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
24 Sep 2017

Counterpoint: 2 brand new first-class Rack Extension synths plus 3 GB of new modern sample content could easily be quantified as the biggest content update they've ever released. But they're also including 3 additional specialized instruments on top of that, as well as 2 additional RE's. Not really a joke for $129 USD, if you price out all of that content. But, obviously people have a lot of different feels over this. No shame in that!
Counterpoint: This influencing isn't working on the majority, in case you haven't noticed.

Creativemind

24 Sep 2017

manuel radioact77 wrote:
24 Sep 2017
3- The SSL it's nice, but i would like: an integrated (not RE, not VST) free good flexible EQ that allows micro EQ adjustments. And an integrated (not RE, not VST) good multiband compressor.
Yeah that's 2 devices out of 12 I can name that you would've thought would've been stock devices in a professional daw in 2017.

The other 10 are:- An Exciter, a De-Esser, a Transient Designer / Shaper, an Expander, a Chorus (not a chorus flanger), a good Metering Tool, a Vectorscope / Ganometer, a Test Oscillator, a Graphic EQ and a Clip Distortion device.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

24 Sep 2017

wendylou wrote:
24 Sep 2017
No that's just the web address, their name is Propellerhead Software. Propellerhead.se and Propellerheads.se both take you to their site.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

tc13

24 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
24 Sep 2017

Counterpoint: This influencing isn't working on the majority, in case you haven't noticed.
In the poll here at ReasonTalk a majority seems happy enough to upgrade, only 22 per cent says no. So as usual it is the people with negative feelings against something that feels the need to express themselves in a very negative, and often very angry, way.

So nothing new there, people that feel angry, disapointed or that their needs havn't been catered for are the people that will be the loudest and complain the most. Even if their numbers are small, they make sure to be heard more and it is not unusual with claims that they represent the majority.

I havn't made up my mind yet about upgrading, I'm not really in to synths that much, but still, this seems like a really good upgrade since 7,8 and 9 really didnt give that much regarding sounds and new content.

flexluthor

24 Sep 2017

Lol so many crying nerds that barely make music. This is a good update. If you don’t like it don’t buy it.

joeyluck

24 Sep 2017

flexluthor wrote:
24 Sep 2017
Lol so many crying nerds that barely make music. This is a good update. If you don’t like it don’t buy it.
We welcome all opinions here. But let's all please try to share those opinions without antagonizing others.

Saying "This is a good update. If you don't like it, don't buy it" is perfectly ok.

But resorting to name calling and accusing people of not making music (when that can't be known based only on what is shared here) is unnecessary and against the rules for the forum.

EnochLight

24 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017
joeyluck wrote:
24 Sep 2017
We welcome all opinions here. But let's all please try to share those opinions without antagonizing others.
;)
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

ireground

24 Sep 2017

The worst thing in Reason, by far, is the workflow, especially the sequencer. It's always been unusable, but it feels way more painful in 2017. Here's just a short list of features that I can't believe still haven't been implemented (not only sequencer related):

Selecting and adjusting more than one volume knob at a time
Ability to zoom a track vertically more than we can do now
Markers
Video support (even if very basic)
Cursor coming back to the position where it started when playback is stopped
Keyboard shortcut for splitting a clip instead of having to switch between two tools every time
Changing position of a track in the sequencer should be reflected in the mixer
Track folders
And the worst: Huge project file.

The project file shouldn't be self contained. We should have a smaller project file that references the audio clips, just like about any other DAW or video editing app out there does. A lot of people use cloud backup services nowadays. That means that if I'm on the later stages of a big project, I've saved my project, then I change the volume of a track by half a dB let's say, and save again, I'll have to re upload the whole file, which sometimes can be over 1 GB. I get that the Props want to keep the whole process as simple as possible, but do they really think we're smart enough to handle a program like Reason but too dumb to manage a folder with the project files? It might not seem to be a big deal for most people, but for me, it's a deal breaker. And it's one of the reasons why I only do small projects now, usually without any audio.

The devs should definitely focus on the workflow and the organization (in a all three main windows) aspects in the next upgrade, even if it means skipping the content. I'll probably buy the upgrade to 10 anyway, but for one single purpose, to make mostly 10-15 second jingles. For that, it's amazing. You get some loops, the player devices, etc. Create only a few tracks and you have only a few devices in the rack. Easy to manage, great for doing quick stuff. Basically, I see Reason as a big bundle of plugins with a very basic way of putting the sound they produce together. I can't imagine doing a full blown project in this mess of a sequencer.

davidvilla

24 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
24 Sep 2017
davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017
joeyluck wrote:
24 Sep 2017
;)
Lol, and I thought I was going easy on you! At least it wasn't as bad as the stuff you get on KVR. ;)

EnochLight

24 Sep 2017

ireground wrote:
24 Sep 2017
The worst thing in Reason, by far, is the workflow, especially the sequencer.
LOL! While I totally agree that the sequencer is sorely in need of more features, Reason's workflow is one of the main things that keeps people using it (as in the rack paradigm + seq + mixer). Just say'n... ;)
davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017
Lol, and I thought I was going easy on you! At least it wasn't as bad as the stuff you get on KVR. ;)
:lol: :lol: :lol: Naaaah - those guys are my besties. :puf_bigsmile:

moneykube

24 Sep 2017

I apologize for my rant... been having a bad time dealing with mom's cancer death sentence... no excuse I know... I was in a really rotton mood....I will try to remain more sane... and reason rules
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

QVprod

24 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
24 Sep 2017

;)
That's because the person in reference isn't on here ;).

dvdrtldg

24 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
24 Sep 2017
pjeudy wrote:
24 Sep 2017

It been a massacre at the Propellerhead Facebook page also...
Lol, where hasn't it been a massacre??? The overwhelming response has been NEGATIVE. Not even the pro-Reason fanatics can sugar coat it.

The people have spoken.
I haven't done any scientific testing on this, but I do wonder how much of the "overwhelming response" has been a few guys with Cheetos-stained fingers and a weird bug up their ass about all things related to Propellerhead carpet-bombing every forum they can find. I mean there's a guy on Facebook at the moment patiently posting 50-paragraph explanations of all the features that Reason lacks - track freeze, scalable UI etc - because he seems to think that people can only like Reason because they're unaware of what these features are, and if he gets everybody clued up then there'll be some sort of revolution that will bring Props to their knees. It's just fucking weird, and not a little sad. I'm not obsessively pro-Reason - there are plenty of limitations that I find frustrating, and yes I think v10 looks less than super exciting - but I've got better things to do than spend hours wetting the bed about it on the internet

esselfortium

24 Sep 2017

ireground wrote:
24 Sep 2017
The worst thing in Reason, by far, is the workflow, especially the sequencer. It's always been unusable, but it feels way more painful in 2017. Here's just a short list of features that I can't believe still haven't been implemented (not only sequencer related):

Selecting and adjusting more than one volume knob at a time
Ability to zoom a track vertically more than we can do now
Markers
Video support (even if very basic)
Cursor coming back to the position where it started when playback is stopped
Keyboard shortcut for splitting a clip instead of having to switch between two tools every time
Changing position of a track in the sequencer should be reflected in the mixer
Track folders
And the worst: Huge project file.

The project file shouldn't be self contained. We should have a smaller project file that references the audio clips, just like about any other DAW or video editing app out there does. A lot of people use cloud backup services nowadays. That means that if I'm on the later stages of a big project, I've saved my project, then I change the volume of a track by half a dB let's say, and save again, I'll have to re upload the whole file, which sometimes can be over 1 GB. I get that the Props want to keep the whole process as simple as possible, but do they really think we're smart enough to handle a program like Reason but too dumb to manage a folder with the project files? It might not seem to be a big deal for most people, but for me, it's a deal breaker. And it's one of the reasons why I only do small projects now, usually without any audio.

The devs should definitely focus on the workflow and the organization (in a all three main windows) aspects in the next upgrade, even if it means skipping the content. I'll probably buy the upgrade to 10 anyway, but for one single purpose, to make mostly 10-15 second jingles. For that, it's amazing. You get some loops, the player devices, etc. Create only a few tracks and you have only a few devices in the rack. Easy to manage, great for doing quick stuff. Basically, I see Reason as a big bundle of plugins with a very basic way of putting the sound they produce together. I can't imagine doing a full blown project in this mess of a sequencer.
Though I definitely agree that the project file should be split up into something more manageable and resilient, and I think there's a lot of room for more workflow-speed enhancements in general, a few of these problems are solvable now:

After you stop playback, pressing 0 on the numeric keypad once will go back to your last start point.

There are free or inexpensive VSTs that can be used for simple video sync.

You can use the lineup of QWERTYU keys to quickly switch between tools in the sequencer, so getting used to where your most-used tools are on the keyboard means you don't have to keep using the mouse to switch tools when slicing clips or anything else. A dedicated shortcut for slicing clips would make sense too, but I don't think this is much different in practice. I think I'm pretty speedy with clip-slicing this way, at least :puf_smile:
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

• Information