Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
remo101

23 Sep 2017

lots of love and big hugs for the Props...

...I thought that was necessary to counteract all the negativity on this thread. If the props feel unloved then we may not get one of those hour long videos where Mattias demonstrates all the new stuff - and I for one like to spend as much time in Mattias's company as possible - No Homo, just saying.

People complaining that props haven't made any substantial changes need to remember that the last 2 major updates gave us Players and then VST - both of which added whole new worlds to Reason.

Now we get some really sweet looking (and sounding) stock synths . Sure I understand some people aren't interested in new synths, in which case don't buy the upgrade (it's not compulsory), but don't try to pretend it ain't worth the price tag. I understand that people are disappointed not to be getting their own preferred workflow enhancements (personally I really want a zoomable rack to counteract my tiny monitor), but that doesn't negate the value of the stuff they've added.

I for one will be happy to part with ready cash to buy this on day one ... and before anyone accuses me of being a spoilt rich-kid you should know that I'm as skint as it's possible to be without actually being dead, and I'm no longer a kid (unfortunately).

remo101

23 Sep 2017

moneykube wrote:
23 Sep 2017
wrong... their lies are rampant... be a sucker if you want
you sound a little paranoid - what "lies" are you talking about?

I'm not trying to say the Props are perfect, but the negativity on this thread is getting way out of hand - I know this is the internet and all that but still: come on people where is the love?

You know I used to complain about things all the time - "the Reason sound" was one of my pet peeves - and then one day I had an epiphany and realised that when my tunes sound crap it ain't because the tools are crap - it's me that's being crap. That's a very liberating thing to learn because it made me realise that I can do something about it.

Yeah this update ain't perfect - nothing is - but it's still cool.

CaliforniaBurrito

23 Sep 2017

I think it's time for a wholesome haiku.

Prop lovers abroad
Making music with delight
They always want more

EdGrip

23 Sep 2017

Jeez, Monkeykube. Sit down and have a nice cup of tea, buh. :(

I reckon the new synths will be comparatively high-quality and even relatively CPU-hungry compared to the old stock synths, such as one might expect of a soft synth made for typical ~2017 hardware and aimed at competing with contemporary soft synths.

They are new stock devices in Reason. That's why they are not REs, any more than Subtractor or Thor are REs. They are part of Reason. That's why they are an update to Reason. That's why they won't stop being available in a future update of Reason. You see? Because they are stock devices. Yeah?

brand

23 Sep 2017

Me? I'm in.
Sure, there are a number of enhancements that many would say are more important. I am relatively new to Reason - some here have been in from day one no doubt. But I still like this. (Who knows, maybe I'll get jaded later) :twisted: I'll admit, a whole new version for these items is a bit odd. Plus it's "10", so... Gotta pay the bills though, I guess. As mentioned above, maybe there are a few more new features as well, not yet listed.

Also, I would imagine that software companies have some planned timelines about adding this or that, and while that could be tweaked for user requests, you have to stop somewhere and release. I want to make music and have fun. Unless something really breaks, I just don't want to get into too much complaining.

sdst
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2017

the new instruments look very good,

the Grain Sample Manipulator is the most interesting

why not put Radical Piano free now? nobody is going to buy it anymore

EdGrip

23 Sep 2017

sdst wrote:
23 Sep 2017
why not put Radical Piano free now? nobody is going to buy it anymore
Hmm. Can you still buy Pulsar in the shop if you're on a pre-9 version? Or is it free to all now?

(Btw: if it's not, don't worry. The free Little LFO RE does the exact same thing but more and better. It's just not as pretty. I was always impressed PH had the nerve to charge money for Pulsar.)

Oquasec

23 Sep 2017

New plugins will be using similar cpu to something like expanse or serum though.
Unless I'm mistaken, that is supposed to happen with plugins that came after 2009.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Biolumin3sc3nt

23 Sep 2017

moneykube wrote:
23 Sep 2017
perhaps you don't care.... poor business practice to say the least... not to mention countless lies I refuse to address anymore... angry I am
tell me... what is the point of creating software you refuse to fix? answer the question and don't take the high ground blaming users as is your practice.
jeeeeeeeeze..... get it together... Mattias... answer the question if you can

I used to be able to use at least 15 tracks to 20... 2 racks used and problems... racks are incorporated in reason.... could understand if it was vst's.... man...a sad state of affairs... if racks are optimised for reason.... what is the excuse? not any reasonable excuse I am sure... used an eq and syncronisity.... get your shit together... do I have to return to logic? ironic... wating for a logical and reasonable answer to this bs... or this is another version users are supposed to solve the issues... don't release something that is flawed.... terrible practice.... WHY are you doing this/?

gullum

23 Sep 2017

I made music with Reason for more then 10 years and have not had many problems with it close to non, so for me I don't get this fix the core and basic stuff first, because I never had problems with that. If you need 100 devices in each track to make your music sound good then maybe it is not Reason that is the problem. Maybe it is because I been using reason only for so many years that I don't have a need for to be like the program/s I used before I don't know.
I most certainly will upgrade on day one as I have done since the release of 6.5

robgs

23 Sep 2017

CephaloPod wrote:
22 Sep 2017
robgs wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Sheesh! I only just paid 129 euros in April for 9.5 now I'm expected to fork out another 129 six month later?.. Are they running out of cash or something???
What version did you upgrade from?
It was 8, but what I'm whining about is that if i'd known that 10 was coming out that soon after 9.5 I would have waited. And to rub salt in, I bought Radical Piano in the last sale... I think I'll just cry in my beer now.... :puf_bigsmile:
:reason: :record: :refill: :reload: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Pi5cEan

23 Sep 2017

Ok, My turn:

I was hoping that since they added VSTs, they knew they didn't have to worry about making new instruments, or even FX. Why bother? I have Synthmaster, Arturia V collection & Sylenth1 (bought during various sales once I heard Reason would allow VSTs).. I literally don't ever need to buy a new softsynth again. I'm holding out for the next Soundtoys bundle sale & then I'm literally done buying synths & FX.

So, for P-Heads to STILL be spending ANY time building instruments & presets, is so unsurprisingly tone-deaf about what this update could/should have been, it just beggars belief.

For instance:
I still can't actually upgrade to 9.5 because my PC can't handle it.. I have been stockpiling VSTs when they are on sale, in preparation for when Pheads FINALLY optimizes their VST usage, so I can actually upgrade. No sorry, I'm not going to buy a brand new f****ing computer just to accommodate new software, that is not acceptable. My machine is fine.

"Surely R10 will fix those CPU problems & I'll just buy that instead of R 9.5" Nope!! Don't get to do that.

So in the meantime, because these VSTs are sounding so good in standalone mode, I downloaded Reaper because I just couldn't take it anymore.. and my God, the CPU optimization that I get in Reaper is nuts. I have Reason rewired into it playing beats, I have Arturia Jupiter 8s & CS-80s, multiple Synthmasters, & 3 Sylenths, banging out utter beauty, and my CPU is running better than when I'm in R7.1 by itself.... And then Propellerheads proceeds to gives us something that I can get way better versions of from VSTs, Splice & a couple new Refills? Please for God's sake call it 9.75 or something else, but don't tell us this is what we get for R10!(????)

So frustrating

Mucrafta

23 Sep 2017

I can re member the announcement of reason 8 and 9. Where one work Flow enhancements new Browser etc. Every one was crying. No instruments. No synth only this shit. I didnt sent 128€.
Now they did it and it isnt ok?
U get in reason 9.5 vst update for free. IT could be that ph make more free update like in 9 for better vst using or else.
In v 10 u get Minimum 5 in my opinion realyy good and usable rack extensions for 120€.
For on ph re u pay 99€ each.
Think about it.
Sry for my Bad english

Kalm

23 Sep 2017

I was sort of underwhelmed with Reason 9 but it gave me stuff I liked nonetheless. . . but this.. . . EUROPA AND GRAIN WHOOOO
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2017

stfual wrote:
22 Sep 2017
There is a problem in mature creative software currently.
This^

This is a problem with any technology that matures while advancements are being made. Unless you break convention, features, or compatibility you can get locked out of future advances.

Apple decided to completely overhaul a few applications to the point of being indistinguishable from the last. Maybe this is what Record was intended to be.

Kalm

23 Sep 2017

Mucrafta wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I can re member the announcement of reason 8 and 9. Where one work Flow enhancements new Browser etc. Every one was crying. No instruments. No synth only this shit. I didnt sent 128€.
Now they did it and it isnt ok?
U get in reason 9.5 vst update for free. IT could be that ph make more free update like in 9 for better vst using or else.
In v 10 u get Minimum 5 in my opinion realyy good and usable rack extensions for 120€.
For on ph re u pay 99€ each.
Think about it.
Sry for my Bad english
This, this hate makes no sense. These two instruments is something I've been waiting for. Do I think they abandoned workflow enhancements. NO. That would be stupid. They sound like they'll make the .2, .3 ,.5 updates like VST implementation and free nonetheless. Reason is about making music and that starts with sounds. People you wouldn't be buying hordes of ehrm... VSTs and REs if that wasn't the case so hypocrisy at its finest.

The second thing is people go about talm bout "oh well I can do this with this, I can make a combinator. . " talk and now we want workflow enhancements. :|

In the end you can't make everybody happy at one time but Props move slow but when they move they move right. I've developed a solid workflow in Reason so this crap doesn't really bother me but remember Reason is a production studio in the box, was asked to be made a DAW. So it was. We asked for MIDI, so it was. We asked for audio, so it was. We asked for VST, so it was. Maybe just maybe if ALL you ask for now is improvements instead of asking for MORE, then you'll get what you want, see how that works. . .

With that being said, between Reason and S1, I'm not going back to PT.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

AttenuationHz

23 Sep 2017

WeLoveYouToo wrote:
22 Sep 2017
parsec 2 is 120 bucks. thats about the cost of the 10 upgrade. if europa is the same quality then this upgrade is going to be an insane deal. i'm excited as hell.
also, has anyone ever tried to find licence free ooh and ah samples? they are very few core libraries around so this is actually something interesting to use to further modify with the grain/synchronous/neptune.
all i want in 10.5 is vector ui and tab to transient feature.
??? :lol:

You're basing your good value for money on an over priced RE that was in the sale for €29 :?

The thing is if all everybody wants is a couple of things from update to update that is what is going to happen if everybody's expectations were a little higher things would be getting fixed and added quicker. Everyone is going to have a different gripe of course but that was the whole point of the feature request thread to have it all in the one place. There are just so many request because there is so much that does need to be added - I'm not taking new devices but quality features that will make using Reason proficient!

How much of the €129 is good value for money for features to be added and things to be fixed each upgrade €40 - 50. If broken down like that then I would upgrade in a heartbeat. Point updates should only be for bug fixes missed in development not for added and requested features which will probably have bugs that will only be fixed in future new versions. The new 9.5.2 update added a day 1 feature that should have been in, remote override of open VST window. How many other features have been missed that probably won't even see the light of day until 11 or higher. The bypass on an open VST window is another one.
Last edited by AttenuationHz on 23 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

O1B

23 Sep 2017

Just heard your song. Nice sonics/energy blooming.. is that you/ a remix of something...
nice.
Creativemind wrote:
23 Sep 2017

WongoTheSane

23 Sep 2017

remo101 wrote:
23 Sep 2017
...and I for one like to spend as much time in Mattias's company as possible - No Homo, just saying.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

EnochLight

23 Sep 2017

Reasonable man wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I remember someone ages and ages ago posted a picture of thor's, Malstrom and Subtractors's sound spectrum and although they are great synths their graphs were filthy (full of artifacts) compared to expensive synths like Serum or Re synths like Paresq which graphs were clear as a bell. Does this mean that Reason's new synths may suffer the same problem? ( to lower cpu levels). I would be gratefull if one of the more experienced/advanced Reason users could help with a probability estimation here as its not my area!
You've already answered your own speculation. Parsec is made by Propellerhead, so using that as a metric...
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mind2069

23 Sep 2017

Well reading into the Facebook comments, it sum up pretty much what I think, it's basically a joke (The biggest update. Ever)

So many complaints about performance, no improvement features, like lets say, a basic note mute.

This ain't no "update" its a IDT/RE whatever bundle.

I will get it because not that I consider this a update, but I will get 6 RE's for 129$ or something. And hopefully under the hood improvements

Are PH becoming delusional , don't they have anything better to come up with for a version 10. I'm sure Europa is nice, but I doubt it's a game changer like they claim considering whats in the vst world.

And honestly, the Europa UI seems like a demo or some new dev making its first RE, not bad but far from pro, but yeah if it sounds good, its what matters most

It almost forgivable if it wasn't marketed a a major update since we got 9.5 for free.

I guess it was summer, everyone was on vacation, they got this new dev to have fun with the RE/IDT format and sold us a major update, while most of the seniors working on the core program where out on vacation.

THE BIGGEST JOKE EVER

avasopht
Competition Winner

23 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
23 Sep 2017
Reasonable man wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I remember someone ages and ages ago posted a picture of thor's, Malstrom and Subtractors's sound spectrum and although they are great synths their graphs were filthy (full of artifacts) compared to expensive synths like Serum or Re synths like Paresq which graphs were clear as a bell. Does this mean that Reason's new synths may suffer the same problem? ( to lower cpu levels). I would be gratefull if one of the more experienced/advanced Reason users could help with a probability estimation here as its not my area!
You've already answered your own speculation. Parsec is made by Propellerhead, so using that as a metric...
I will add that Thor's wavetable synths are clean as well.

The reasons are simply down to method of synthesis + oversampling. Any raw waveform / FM with harmonics that can alias requires oversampling to reduce aliasing (there are also alternatives such as BLET which I know nothing about). Wavetables can simply offer pre anti-aliased waveforms, while Parsec can just outright remove those harmonics completely.

Reasonable man

23 Sep 2017

avasopht wrote:
23 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
23 Sep 2017

I will add that Thor's wavetable synths are clean as well.

The reasons are simply down to method of synthesis + oversampling. Any raw waveform / FM with harmonics that can alias requires oversampling to reduce aliasing (there are also alternatives such as BLET which I know nothing about). Wavetables can simply offer pre anti-aliased waveforms, while Parsec can just outright remove those harmonics completely.
ok thanks guys

electrofux

23 Sep 2017

gullum wrote:
23 Sep 2017
I made music with Reason for more then 10 years and have not had many problems with it close to non, so for me I don't get this fix the core and basic stuff first, because I never had problems with that. If you need 100 devices in each track to make your music sound good then maybe it is not Reason that is the problem. Maybe it is because I been using reason only for so many years that I don't have a need for to be like the program/s I used before I don't know.
I most certainly will upgrade on day one as I have done since the release of 6.5

When people talk about core things they most likely mean workflow enhancements and additions to the sequencer. And i think it is valid to point out the lack of advancement in that area. But given the quite substantial content in the update i don't think it is ok to whine around.

For example i would die to see Reason catch up with the competitors in the looping/clip launching area. Most of the DAWs nowadays have a means to arrange clips easiy/intuitively and most adopt the Ableton Clip Launcher style.
It is just something that cant be done in Reason and would be a huge step forward using Reason live if you think about how the various Launchpads can be effectively used for that.
We have Blocks though but they are not triggerable, so this would need an overhaul- that is just me though.

Then we have seen Players in the last update but they dont seem to build on the concept in this update.

Also no changes to the VST implementation which definitly lacks quite a few substantial things like VST Midi and Multi Channel support.

Also for older users there are the tiny changes here and there which yield alot of value for different groups of users (eg when they made ReDrum steps remotable i was cheering and would have payed for that alone). And there are just none in here.

People that dont care for more Synths (as good as the new one look) expected different stuff from Version 10 and are disappointed. But it is very hard to serve everyone.

But as said before the value of the update is fine, the speed of updates is very good currently AND there WERE alot of people asking for new content. It is just the package that is unbalanced for some.

So, valid to discuss the focus of the update but appreciate the speed and content is in place imho.

Rectro

23 Sep 2017

Propellerhead has created a whip for their own back by releasing VST support too early. If VST support was included as part of R10 then I think the tone would be a bit better, but do they not understand that their users expect a new version to included "a new version of Reason" What Reason 10 looks to be is a expansion pack?

What has surprised me is how I got it within 10 seconds after watching the video. yet they didn't see this? VST support opened the flood gates for its users to buy Instruments and effects. All the sales that went on would have given every opportunity for us to get every single synth we could have ever wanted. Add to that many own Radical Piano, and Syncronouse I do, plus I got some new VST synths and effects, I dont need any more synths or effects, and dont need to buy two racks again that I already own.

For the new buyer Reason 10 offers fantastic value, and maybe thats where their marketing was directed to for Reason 10?

Dan

• Information