Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
satyr32

22 Sep 2017

Faastwalker wrote:
22 Sep 2017

Does anyone else feel like we've gone back in time a bit here? It's like pre Rack Extension days when Reason upgrades were all about the new devices. Just my two cents worth but I would have much preferred updates an additions to the core program and devices. With the Reason 10 new devices as Rack Extesnions that we could pick and choose.
If this update would be Reason 6 then it would have been huge back then. Nowadays it is a bit meh. For users that are not much into REs and VSTs it is a great update though.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

PurpleMonkeyDishes

22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
PurpleMonkeyDishes wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Nice update if that is what we needed, but I have to agree that it seems Propellerhead have now stopped taking users into consideration. I did expect big things from R-X and once again the Swedes had the earplugs in so as not to hear us. So frustrating!
This is the exact opposite of the truth. :puf_bigsmile:

VST was a direct result of our most requested feature of all time. A content upgrade was also a result of the many users who've requested new instruments or updated stock devices since the introduction of Reason 6.5. We listen to our users more than ever!

It's important to realize though that us listening and hearing all feedback does not mean we suddenly can do everything at once. Luckily it's not like Reason 10 is the last version. ;)
Mattias, while I respect your right to be defensive just please think about this for one moment.... And why I say this...

You have tons of really good sound designers who contribute to your store, they create Refills, RE's and now Vst going forward. So essentially this area is covered!!
What the 3rd parties can not do is work on updating the sequencer, the mixer, and all the internal workings of the reason code!!

But Propellerhead chose to go to town on the one thing that other people can do for them while you guys make other parts of Reason better?
Surely this is logical & progressive !! It just doesn't make any sense!

And as an avid reason user of many many years I feel strongly about this, it seems like bad planning.
Music is everything

PurpleMonkeyDishwasher

per-anders

22 Sep 2017

Well guys, the way I see it is that I can't forget - we're not just buying Reason 10 as it stands at release, but also every update in the Reason 10 product cycle.

If R9 was anything to go by that means there's a good likelihood we'll also be getting the workflow enhancements we want too, just later on in that cycle, and in the meanwhile we could be getting good use out of these new synths and tools until then.

Obviously that doesn't negate that it costs money and if you don't need or want it now, or only want to buy if the Props have something that you want then of course it makes perfect sense to save your money, as well as that making it clear to the Props what is and isn't popular. But for me I'll be buying into the product cycle and support, as soon as some fixes come out for VST performance I'll have instant access and wont have to worry about scraping together the money then when I may not have it.

TheGuyNotNamedBob

22 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017
MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017

A content upgrade was also a result of the many users who've requested new instruments or updated stock devices since the introduction of Reason 6.5. We listen to our users more than ever!
Well thanks for addressing our Reason 7 feature requests in Reason 10. :|

Here are our CURRENT feature requests though: viewforum.php?f=6

Be a good little product manager and actually read them (no, but I mean like FOR REAL) and pass them along to your boss.

Hi, Ernst.

By the way, I wonder who these people were though, who wanted MORE internal synths and MORE drum samples. And like, WHERE are they, because they surely aren't HERE.
Just going to be honest. I actually have been wanting more synths in the program. More samples. I think this is great for my purposes.

satyr32

22 Sep 2017

Conspiracy theory:
What if Reason plans to go the subscription route in Reason 11? Then it would had been stupid of them to include all the cool features we want in Reason 10, because then many people would hesitate to subscribe since they already have almost everything they ever wished for, at least for quite some months. So Propellerhead holds back the features until Reason 11 so that everyone subscribes to their pay model. Reason 10 is "only" new synths that are included in the subscription Reason 11 anyways. So they can charge for them twice.
Conclusion: In Reason 11 we will see all the features we are waiting for: Combinator 2, Curved Automation, Better Freeze Function, Video Support, Performance Boost, New Seqeuncer/Drum Roll, More Mixer Features, Extended Audio Editing ... you name it.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
https://soundcloud.com/aeon_eternal

Oquasec

22 Sep 2017

As a guy who knows no business.
Why the hell would a company not just DO BOTH OPTIONS?
Do they lose revenue by having a sub button there?
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

per-anders

22 Sep 2017

Oquasec wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Resources. It takes time to develop anything, not just the development but the testing, documenting, marketing, the list goes on and on.

You also can't just throw more money at problems to get them fixed faster, it all requires organization. Often the best approach is small teams of devs working on individual projects, and not trying to get all the products into one release, but spreading things out over a period of time. That way you end up with quality product that's released when it's ready, and the company doesn't hold on to stuff behind the scenes, so we get everything much quicker, but it means that as users we don't get everything all in a single big release.

Creativemind

22 Sep 2017

QVprod wrote:
22 Sep 2017
So far there has only been 1 instrument RE that has been added to Reason natively; Radical Piano. All the other added Propellerhead and even Softube amp REs , Audiomatic, Pulsar, and now Synchronous, were all free for all users of a certain version at some point so I'd wager a huge percentage of the users who own them didn't pay for them anyway. Following that pattern, if you see something you want, you might as well grab it.
When was Audiomatic not directly in Reason. I thought it was in (was it) Reason 7 from the off, no?

Somebody else mentioned in this thread somewhere it was in the shop for a while first.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

RandyEspoda

22 Sep 2017

Tbh I'm already rethinking about upgrading or not.
I just got the 9.5.2 update, so seems like they are continuously working on improvements regardless of the upcoming 'content' upgrade.
Maybe I will just buy in, cause fact remains that for what you get, it's just really cheap.
Which is the thing I love about the whole PH mentality.
Why wait till the next one...

But I doubt they would go the subscription road...

Creativemind

22 Sep 2017

plasticfractal wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Is it confirmed that there are no updates to workflow, sequencer window etc? The promo video is only going to show the flashy things like new synths so I get that. However, if this uodate really is purely a content update without and workflow fixes or enhancements, I will honestly be a little disappointed.
I agree that with certain little things there'd be no point in putting them in a video but if the themes affected the main mixer or curved automation was there, these would definintely be highlighted in the video. Even a Notepad or Undo Events List or Manual Parameter Inputs for that matter would probably make the video as well.

22ndCenturyStudio

22 Sep 2017

ltbrunt00 wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I'm not complaining, a lot of us will be upgrading including myself.

Layers seemed like it should be packaged with R10.
+1 on this.Layers is fun...but $99 is absurd and even at the current $69 price tag,I can't justify spending the coin.The combinator presets are interesting,but that's about it.

per-anders

22 Sep 2017

Well the Props do have to make money somehow, I don't think Reason itself is the real earner, it's just the platform.

Creativemind

22 Sep 2017

Hydrosonic wrote:
22 Sep 2017
raccoonboy wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I'm wondering if Mattias can tell me if all these new instruments will be permanent in Reason and not just for this version?

i.e. if I wait till Reason 11 to upgrade, will these instruments still be included?

thanks
They have to be, as they are not offered as an incentive to upgrade, IE upgrade before XX date and recieve xx RE. They are offered as the upgrade.
It would be like upgrading from version 3 to version 10 and not getting the SSL mixer ;)
At least that is my understanding
Correct. Lol!

They will be instruments available in Reason from now on. You were talking more about the Re devices though such as Radical Piano and Synchronous weren't you raccoonboy as obviously the others are new devices?

Creativemind

22 Sep 2017

For people saying synths are needed and more needed than workflow enhancements. 2 things:-

1) Why not just give us a couple of synths, say Europa and Grain (and maybe throw in Synhcronous too) and then give us other workflow stuff too? not to address one or the other is not covering all bases and satisfying all people imo.

2) If a poll was done on this site particularly which would you like to see in Reason 10 - Just new synths and sounds or lots of core workflow enhancements and new features. I think workflow / features would sail home. As stated by other people in this thread, instruments and sounds are covered vastly with Re's, VST's, Sample Libraries and Refills.

If a third option was added, a combination of 1 and 2, then that would probably be a high contender too, if not win. In fact, I'm tempted start a poll with these options lol!

Zac

22 Sep 2017

Oquasec wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I don't know who this tit is but I'd pay an upgrade to remove him.

jfrichards

22 Sep 2017

Any one stop to think about what the next major step will be for Reason? Anybody notice them hiring people for mobile app development? Anyone see the trend growing among us for numerous DAW conversions to mobile platforms (that also work on desktops)? Or the new trend of inter-mobile-DAW compatibility? Anyone consider what a huge waste it would be to postpone building a mobile version of Reason itself to endlessly "fix" a bunch of minor current issues? Just asking.

Sorped

22 Sep 2017

jfrichards wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Any one stop to think about what the next major step will be for Reason? Anybody notice them hiring people for mobile app development? Anyone see the trend growing among us for numerous DAW conversions to mobile platforms (that also work on desktops)? Or the new trend of inter-mobile-DAW compatibility? Anyone consider what a huge waste it would be to postpone building a mobile version of Reason itself to endlessly "fix" a bunch of minor current issues? Just asking.
I hope you're right, I'd give my right pinky-toe for Reason on iPad integrated with the desktop version = seamless creativity on the go. I'd wager it's coming down the line.
I don't think anyone should fear neglect of Reason though, as Mattias has said several times, why would PH not listen and cater to their users? :puf_smile:
Alio Modo: SoundCloud
-----------
Born to lose, live to win.
Don't forget to back up your projects! :thumbs_up:

WeLoveYouToo

22 Sep 2017

parsec 2 is 120 bucks. thats about the cost of the 10 upgrade. if europa is the same quality then this upgrade is going to be an insane deal. i'm excited as hell.
also, has anyone ever tried to find licence free ooh and ah samples? they are very few core libraries around so this is actually something interesting to use to further modify with the grain/synchronous/neptune.
all i want in 10.5 is vector ui and tab to transient feature.

Psuper

22 Sep 2017

Meh. Reason doesn't need more synths, instruments, samples, loops... Zzzzz.....

Reason needs usability via a scaling UI. Has needed one for about 10 years now.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Hauser+Quaid

22 Sep 2017

Saw the video a few hours ago, been sporadically reading this thread while working. I think the upgrade is cool! One of the main things that attracted me to Reason once native VST support was added so I could finally ditch Rewire was the fact that Reason has unique sounds. These new Racks give me more of those, and as others have mentioned basically at the price of a discounted Rig. I'm in.

As long as they continue to focus resource on optimisation, I'm happy. I expected a bigger change for a 10 release as well, but the truth is that Reason has already paid for itself for me, even including the Rigs I bought and the Nektar P1. I recently had to go back and work on a project I did in Logic, and I found myself freezing tracks pretty much the same amount as I do in Reason, though admittedly on a lower buffer setting of 64 samples vs 128 in Reason.

Yes there are some issues like Reaktor still pops for me unless I host it inside Maschine (strange). And yes I still have some problems with my UAD card affecting Native DSP. But I have faith these issues will get fixed in updates. Don't know if I'll be upgrading the second v10 drops, but I'm sure I will down the line at some point.

GRIFTY

22 Sep 2017

new synths look killer, new instruments look killer, new samples are very welcome, still holding out for scalable UI and some audio editing improvements but overall this looks like a killer upgrade. maybe there's more stuff under the hood we don't know about. scalable UI seems like the kind of thing they wouldn't advertise but could sneak into the release notes

Psuper

22 Sep 2017

GRIFTY wrote:
22 Sep 2017
new synths look killer, new instruments look killer, new samples are very welcome, still holding out for scalable UI and some audio editing improvements but overall this looks like a killer upgrade. maybe there's more stuff under the hood we don't know about. scalable UI seems like the kind of thing they wouldn't advertise but could sneak into the release notes
They know damn well they're in the dark ages with their poor UI - it would have been the first thing they announced.
Reason needs to DAW.viewtopic.php?f=6&t=7504985

Oquasec

22 Sep 2017

do they do vector graphics now or... other than that I'm sticking to reason
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

scratchnsnifff

22 Sep 2017

MattiasHG wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Tumble wrote:
22 Sep 2017
So is the Karplus Strong thing just a WT or an actual synth mode? Would like some more in-depth Europa information.
Tricky question to answer, it's both! Europa uses dynamic wavetable generation. We'll get in-depth about that in future videos and stuff, but in short it means that it generates wavetables on the fly which means it can create dynamic algorithms like Karplus Strong and FM feedback.
davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017
EDIT #2: WOW. This probably started off as ONE new rack extension and one new IDT device, they just split them up.
Nah, when we outlined the products they started as 2 synths, one focused on cutting edge synthesis á la the modern super synths and one on proper granular synthesis, and 3 sample-based devices in three distinct categories. The reason the 2 synths share a bottom section is that after finishing the first one we liked it so much and realized it'd fit perfectly in both cases. It's super flexible with 4 multi-stage envelopes/LFOs, 3 dedicated LFOs and more. :)
Exowildebeest wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I can't get the audio samples to play on the What's New page in Chrome - clicking them does nothing :question:
We're on it, hopefully we'll get that fixed tonight! We ran into a new SoundCloud play count limitation we hadn't seen before.
I am a huge fan of this update and what it offer :) with all the awesomeness of Europa and Grain, there had better be cv, both devices scream Reason so I feel like you guys wouldn't leave out one of reasons most reason-y features
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

FlowerSoldier

22 Sep 2017

I just looked up SoundIron...I'd never heard of them before.
This looks like it could become an interesting partnership. I'm looking forward to seeing what else is in store.

• Information