Reason 10 announced!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
WongoTheSane

22 Sep 2017

Tumble wrote:
22 Sep 2017
So is the Karplus Strong thing just a WT or an actual synth mode? Would like some more in-depth Europa information.
Actual synth mode (i.e. the wave shape is different each time it's excited).

childofsaturn

22 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I do make music, though. Released an EP on iTunes/etc many years ago, and still receive regular royalty payments from SoundExchange for Pandora. Haven't released anything lately, though (family and just "life"). :puf_bigsmile: Last track I posted was THIS . May not be your bag, though. :lol:
Love this track! Are you on Google Music by chance? If so, what's your project name?

WongoTheSane

22 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Kenni wrote:
22 Sep 2017
The entitlement is strong on these here boards.

Please moderate yourself, before we have to.
Can you please explain? I don't see "perceived entitlement" on the list in the forum guidelines.
The following guidelines apply:
1 - Remain respectful of others at all times, whether they be users, developers, moderators or administrators.
[...]
4 - It’s not only about the words you use, but also your intentions. Keep this in mind at all times

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7500911

tanni

22 Sep 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
22 Sep 2017
CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
22 Sep 2017
For the record I'm shocked and surprised with all the negativity. Pretty disgusting actually.
That's because you are a prolific maker of music, you don't spend enough time comparing like for like feature lists.

If you spent less time using Reason for creative purposes and spent more time in a state of anxiety about where your DAW fits into a mythical pecking order perhaps you would be more understanding of the negativity.

Me, the upgrade price is likely what I'd pay for those two RE's alone anyway anything else is a bonus, including the full-release cycle of updates, until v11. I must say though some of the reponses, had they come from my kids when they were little, I'd have pulled them out of the ice-cream queue straight away.
Thats exactly what I thought too. ;)

Gorgon

22 Sep 2017

One more thing, just adding devices is usually NOT considered a full version upgrade.
"This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit."

stratatonic

22 Sep 2017

Zac wrote:
22 Sep 2017
stratatonic wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Personally, I think the core program should have an acoustic drum module similar to an A-list - since Propellerhead is using the organic word a lot and offering a piano and the three acoustic sampler players in this upgrade. ...
(slightly off-topic)
Funny you should say that...
I found myself agreeing with chimp_spanner's request for a new drum synth in a thread on here somewhere. Then I realised I hadn't used Kong's drum synth methods (physical modelling or drum synth) since REs were introduced.
I like Kong - use it in almost every Reason project - but I didn't mean modelling drum sounds. I just meant an easy way to bang out acoustic drum rhythm tracks and fills in the program.
Zac wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I mainly concentrated on kick drum sounds but I find using layers and newly available envelopes make me much less in need. Kong is pretty solid for this IMO.
You like kick drums? you're going to love this upgrade! There's, like, 4-500 kicks here...

Thatsalottabassdrum.jpeg
Thatsalottabassdrum.jpeg (749.73 KiB) Viewed 4492 times
Last edited by stratatonic on 22 Sep 2017, edited 1 time in total.

napynap

22 Sep 2017

It seems like this is Propellerhead's new business model for RE's. If they had just released these new synths as RE's, people would just buy VST alternatives. Now they have to upgrade to get the new RE's.
visit http://www.napynap.com to learn more about me. Thank you.

EnochLight

22 Sep 2017

Gorgon wrote:
22 Sep 2017
One more thing, just adding devices is usually NOT considered a full version upgrade.
It was from 2.0 to 5.0. Retro is cool! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

shredmiyagi

22 Sep 2017

Dang, I just bought R9 upgrade on Aug. 9th, barely over a month ago. Am I out of luck?

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2017

shredmiyagi wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Dang, I just bought R9 upgrade on Aug. 9th, barely over a month ago. Am I out of luck?
Yes.

adfielding

22 Sep 2017

EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Gorgon wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I really, really want to agree with you (and I totally get what you're saying)... but R3 & 4 saw some pretty hefty sequencer changes.

Captain Pedant, awaaaay~~

Emian

22 Sep 2017

Jeez, i just read through this whole tread, toroughly at first, swifter after a few pages of whining.....

So what's with all the negativity ??????

i'm SO excited for this new version !!

* Europa looks like a slimmed own version of Expanse , great ! i didn't buy that one (i loved it in trial tough, but the CPU-usage was still a bit high to me, & Europa as stock-device will be VERY CPU_effective no doubt, Props have great coders)

* Grain copares to Proton i believe .... didn't buy that one either, & grain synthesis will be something to dive into...

* i didn't buy Radical Piano yet

* 3+ Gb new samples ???? yipeeeee !!!!!!!

* the new IDT's are also very welcome !

now i'd just like to see the back of the new device (especially Europa, i REALLY REALLY hope it has an "OSC pitch" CV-in that works like the one on Subtractor, pleaaaase props ????)

i paid for every upgrade since i bought version 6, & i am still happy when i open Reason. i hardly use any VST's, got a lot of RE's tough, and with all the Lectric Panda & Robotic Bean sequencers i own i'm happy to attach all these new devices to those !!!!!!

Signed up for the beta, can't wait to give the new devices a spin !!!

Congratz Props !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"i might be established, but i'll never be establishement "
- Dave Clarke -www.soundcloud.com/emian

Kaosis

22 Sep 2017

fieldframe wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Two new flagship synths plus 3 boutique romplers plus a couple of older REs in case you don't have them is a pretty sweet upgrade!

However, I do wonder if the reaction would be a little less mixed if one of the flagship synths were replaced with, say, an overhaul of Blocks, or a clip launcher. Reason just swung so far from the direction of the past few versions that I think it's giving people whiplash. 7 improved mixing and integration, 8 was all about infrastructural improvements and workflow, and then 9 was all about inspiration and efficiency... and now 10 is suddenly all about new instruments like the old days!
Well, by that logic it was time for a content upgrade, that I for one welcome.

I figure we'll eventually get some 4k support, and I'll bet that's one of the next things they spit out. As it stands though, most monitors sold are 1080p and at that resolution everything is hunky dory.

In my time here on earth I've come to the conclusion that getting one's hopes up is only going to result in disappointment. Over sell something and it will surely flop, my inbox had a pleasant surprise announcement for today :D

Exowildebeest

22 Sep 2017

davidvilla wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I do gotta say though, the GUI of Grain and Europa is pretty slick. Although they do look like they started off as one synth and then they decided it was better to split them up. Wonder if this was a functional decision or a ""let's give them MORE cuz they want MORE" decision. The lower sections of the synths are identical.

EDIT: the 3 IDTs are also identical. And they were split up for what reason??? ;) To fake us out and make us believe they actually gave us MORE, perhaps???? :?:

EDIT #2: WOW. This probably started off as ONE new rack extension and one new IDT device, they just split them up.
They're definitely re-using assets/design on those synths, whether they were originally one synth or not. Logical move to save time, now that they're on this faster upgrade cycle. Such similar controls is nice for patch programmers btw, and they've done a nice job at making them visually distinctive despite the structural similarity :thumbs_up:

Splitting the Soundiron devices into three is nice for aesthetic and marketing purposes... Indeed it obviously wasn't necessary, they're structurally identical.

Exowildebeest

22 Sep 2017

Kaosis wrote:
22 Sep 2017
fieldframe wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Two new flagship synths plus 3 boutique romplers plus a couple of older REs in case you don't have them is a pretty sweet upgrade!

However, I do wonder if the reaction would be a little less mixed if one of the flagship synths were replaced with, say, an overhaul of Blocks, or a clip launcher. Reason just swung so far from the direction of the past few versions that I think it's giving people whiplash. 7 improved mixing and integration, 8 was all about infrastructural improvements and workflow, and then 9 was all about inspiration and efficiency... and now 10 is suddenly all about new instruments like the old days!
I figure we'll eventually get some 4k support, and I'll bet that's one of the next things they spit out. As it stands though, most monitors sold are 1080p and at that resolution everything is hunky dory.
Laptop resolutions have increased much more than monitor's. That's been the main issue, as many people work on laptops. Small screen, high pixel density. But in the coming years, 4k desktop monitor adoption will no doubt catch up. It's a problem for Reason that'll only grow worse.

RandyEspoda

22 Sep 2017

I'm comfortably going to hold off on this one until I can 'see' some vst improvements and improvements to the program itself. Updates of existing stock devices have been asked since R5 (probably longer), and they still haven't done anything of the likes, so I personally do not expect them to 'ever' commit to any of such updates/improvements at all. Still waiting for the core improvements though, so until then, I'll keep that $129 close. The new synths do look very nice, and they probably are, but imo priority should have been the core development, especially now with vst's being 'introduced'. So until then I'll refrain. Those synths will still be there when I finally do upgrade. I want reassurance first that core improvements are being done...

All in all though, when you realize this is literally a 'content' upgrade and not at all a 'feature' upgrade, it is more than worth the price of admission.
In comparison with most other daws it is dirt cheap. This upgrade just isn't really for me yet...

Ostermilk

22 Sep 2017

adfielding wrote:
22 Sep 2017
EnochLight wrote:
22 Sep 2017

I really, really want to agree with you (and I totally get what you're saying)... but R3 & 4 saw some pretty hefty sequencer changes.

Captain Pedant, awaaaay~~
Yeah, but there was still plenty of griping at those at the time IIRC.

The thing for me since R8 is the update frequency and the amount of improvements that have been made, so while v10 in itself may involve a fair bit of 'bundling', the bundle looks to be a good one and even today while this is being announced, 9.5.2 has just dropped. So I have no doubt v10 will develop as it goes through it's cycle.

Man, only a few months ago people were still saying VST(i)'s would never happen.

Development seems to be an ongoing thing rather than the old style point to point approach these days and I don't see Reason 10 will remain static throughout its lifecycle.

I'm certainly going to continue the journey this time and see where I end up.

chimp_spanner

22 Sep 2017

Gorgon wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Well, I dunno man. The last full version update for Cubase (8.5 -> 9) was SUPER sparse. It only came with two entirely new features, one of which was so horrible - window zones - that I basically stopped using Cubase, and the other which is supposed to scan plugin stability, and ended up blacklisting a Steinberg plugin.

Everything else was just adjustments to existing features, such as upping the marker track count, separating undo history between arranger and mixer (STILL no plugin history), and an improved a cloud collaboration system from 8.5. And that's it. I'm not even summarising. That's literally it.

The rest? Samples. Shitty, boring samples. And a couple of plugins (maximiser and EQ with m/s). Oh and some new skins for the stock dynamics plugins. That, apparently, was worthy of a version 9 badge. I'm already way more excited about R10 than I was about C9, because I'll actually make music with the new content. And I think it's fair to assume a free 10.5 update will include usability tweaks.
Last edited by chimp_spanner on 22 Sep 2017, edited 2 times in total.

EnochLight

22 Sep 2017

Ostermilk wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Yeah, but there was still plenty of griping at those at the time IIRC.

The thing for me since R8 is the update frequency and the amount of improvements that have been made, so while v10 in itself may involve a fair bit of 'bundling', the bundle looks to be a good one and even today while this is being announced, 9.5.2 has just dropped. So I have no doubt v10 will develop as it goes through it's cycle.

Man, only a few months ago people were still saying VST(i)'s would never happen.

Development seems to be an ongoing thing rather than the old style point to point approach these days and I don't see Reason 10 will remain static throughout its lifecycle.

I'm certainly going to continue the journey this time and see where I end up.
Don't be so darn positive, Ostermilk! You'll be accused of being a Propellerhead employee mole with all of those well measured, thoughtful responses! :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

mreese80

22 Sep 2017

I will be upgrading the day of release
Reason 10.4 :refill: :re: :ignition: | :recycle: 2.2.4 | Ableton Live Suite 10.1| MPC Software 1.9.6 | Photoshop CC 2019 | Novation Impulse 49 | Nektar Impact LX 49

Exowildebeest

22 Sep 2017

I can't get the audio samples to play on the What's New page in Chrome - clicking them does nothing :question:

aeox
Competition Winner

22 Sep 2017

I think it's a good value for what they are giving. I just don't know if I'll really have a use for these new synths personally.

Things I was hoping for:

-Combinator with modular faders, buttons, knobs, etc.
-Bézier curve automation.

Ah well, those things aren't a big deal anyway.

Back to work.

WongoTheSane

22 Sep 2017

Exowildebeest wrote:
22 Sep 2017
I can't get the audio samples to play on the What's New page in Chrome - clicking them does nothing :question:
They worked earlier but don't anymore. Might be a bandwidth limit somewhere. They're probably working on it...

Tumble

22 Sep 2017

WongoTheSane wrote:
22 Sep 2017
Exowildebeest wrote:
22 Sep 2017
They worked earlier but don't anymore. Might be a bandwidth limit somewhere. They're probably working on it...
Probably just Soundcloud being shit as usual.

Oquasec

22 Sep 2017

200$ for serum? nah Ill save that for 6 more plugins and more of everything kthnx.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

• Information