(?) White Noise Layer

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
CaliforniaBurrito

13 Sep 2017

What do you like to use to layer a lead melody with white noise and how do you integrate it smoothly into the timbre?

aeox
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2017

Never tried that before

Opens new project and starts experiementing

CaliforniaBurrito

13 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
13 Sep 2017
Never tried that before

Opens new project and starts experiementing
This is what I had in mind.

esselfortium

13 Sep 2017

If you want it as a standalone effect that can easily be applied to any sound, I'd create a combinator with a Subtractor inside it (or any synth of your choice), with its LFO 1 output routed to its Gate In, and the patch programmed to only output white noise. Adjust the envelopes and LFO rate a bit until it sounds smooth. This will emit a constant stream of noise perpetually. Then you can use either Scream4's or Pulverizer's volume-to-CV to control a mixer channel's level (to use the input audio to control how much, if any, noise is being heard at a given time).

After combining the noise with the input signal, I like to smooth things off by adding a bit of reverb followed by some Scream4 tape saturation, a combination that seems to help glue the noise to the input signal, creating that wispy Boards Of Canada kind of sound.

If you're wanting a cassette-noise sort of effect, you might also want to EQ either the noise layer itself or the entire combined output, rolling off the high end and slightly boosting some of the mids.
Sarah Mancuso
My music: Future Human

CaliforniaBurrito

13 Sep 2017

esselfortium wrote:
13 Sep 2017
Then you can use either Scream4's or Pulverizer's volume-to-CV to control a mixer channel's level (to use the input audio to control how much, if any, noise is being heard at a given time).
Oh yeah that is a great idea! Thanks!

selig
RE Developer

13 Sep 2017

One thing I like to do with Thor is use "Band Noise" in OSC2 as a source of AM for OSC1 (use the slider to the left of OSC1). Gives leads a unique and bubbling texture IMO. Modulate the AM depth for more interesting textures.
Selig Audio, LLC

CaliforniaBurrito

13 Sep 2017

selig wrote:
13 Sep 2017
One thing I like to do with Thor is use "Band Noise" in OSC2 as a source of AM for OSC1 (use the slider to the left of OSC1). Gives leads a unique and bubbling texture IMO. Modulate the AM depth for more interesting textures.
Oh that seems very interesting - will have to try that! :thumbs_up:

aeox
Competition Winner

13 Sep 2017

I'll get back to this thread after I get some rest!

Loque

13 Sep 2017

I dont know exactly what you want to achieve, but one or more filter following your played note after the noise could be interesting.
Reason12, Win10

CaliforniaBurrito

13 Sep 2017

That video I posted earlier ended up just being a little breakdown section in a track I did today. :P

• Information