How to make tutorial videos?

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Raveshaper

17 Jun 2015

What is the easiest setup to do this?

I'm considering using Open Broadcast with a condenser mic patched into my M-Audio Delta 1010 (because that's what I have), but are there any specific tips?
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

ScuzzyEye

17 Jun 2015

That's pretty much what I've used. But haven't had any luck getting OBS to record audio when in ASIO mode. Probably need to switch to DX. I have a second interface, connected via S/PDIF (used to be analog), so I just record that instead.

OBS is designed for streaming games, but can easily record locally, and you don't need the camera mic input, since the software you're using can open the mic and mix it into the audio by itself.

hydlide

18 Jun 2015

i personally use 2 different devices at the same time and a mixer for live setups. The mixer is used for balancing the stereo mix (incoming audio) and the microphone at the same time the mixer goes back as being the source for the live tutorial.
if its all "edited", then having 2 different sound sources (mic + sound from reason) will also make the editing a lot easier in the final cut. Since you can still "freeze" the video while still talking about a feature (in case the video itself is not really going along that well when talking about a thing).
Also, I would advice to use a separate stream for the voice in a general sense (not using the mic input on the audio that gets produced by reason). Reason for me saying this, there might be times where you need to cut / edit certain segments where the voice doesn't belong with the reason sound output while editing the video. In this case you can nudge the mic recording after the reason sound has finished to keep the video presentation pretty clear to hear what you are talking about.

Hopes this makes sense, and helps out.

Raveshaper

18 Jun 2015

Yes, very helpful.

Now, any strategies for making heavy subjects easy to understand?

I'm thinking of doing what I see a lot of other people do. Write a rabbit hole article for people who want to dig through it in depth, but focus the video on how to use the surface or production method in discussing. You don't need to read the manual to drive a car, for instance, but it helps.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

• Information