Are you still interested in ReFills?

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
EpiGenetik

17 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
17 Jul 2017
Refills would do better if nnxt was updated to support more formats like nki or sfz.
Or a rack extension. But I'm guessing propellerhead is like well...let the refills stay as that zip format that only reason users can access.
What is the point of NKI's in the NN-XT when you would need to have Kontakt to use them anyway, and could just load that up? Just curious as I see that Ableton used to be able to do this, but with no indication as to what the benefit was. Is it just a system resources thing?

pedrocaetanos

17 Jul 2017

Are you still interested in ReFills?
Generally? No. But there are exceptions...
Made by Harald Karla? Definitely, yes!
I have almost all SoundCells and I would buy a few more :)
Specially if vintage oriented (either samples or recreated with multiple reason devices) and more "Signature Series" (rack extension patches) - particularly comes to mind:
  • Korg MonoPoly
  • Propellerhead PX7
  • Synapse The Legend

Also:
  • Red Rock Ivoks
  • Propellerhead Radical Keys/Piano
  • Skrock Tectonic

There used to be updates for the already existent refills - I have a wishlist with the long forgotten ones:
  • Analog Signature
  • Thor Source
  • Parsec Signature (patches for Parsec 2 - either update or a specific new refill)
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Soundcells

17 Jul 2017

@PedroCaetanos:

You are absolutely right about the ‘forgotten‘ ReFills :0)

I already have a lot of Parsec patches for version 2, and Analog Signature is planned to be merged with Thor Source.
The combination of these two ReFills is already done in the first step, but there is still a lot to do:
Especially Analog Signature is an ‘old‘ ReFill which was initially released back in Nov 2008 … and a lot of combinators (although this ReFill was updated like the other ones over the years … until 2013) are not using all buttons and knobs.
Nowadays it feels a little bit like an unfinished product (not to use all these combinator buttons and knobs …)

Oquasec

17 Jul 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:
17 Jul 2017
Oquasec wrote:
17 Jul 2017
Refills would do better if nnxt was updated to support more formats like nki or sfz.
Or a rack extension. But I'm guessing propellerhead is like well...let the refills stay as that zip format that only reason users can access.
What is the point of NKI's in the NN-XT when you would need to have Kontakt to use them anyway, and could just load that up? Just curious as I see that Ableton used to be able to do this, but with no indication as to what the benefit was. Is it just a system resources thing?
You can put vsts in refills already, but...would anybody be doing this on the regular?
This is a confusing area lol
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

pedrocaetanos

17 Jul 2017

pedrocaetanos wrote:
17 Jul 2017
Generally? No. But there are exceptions...
Made by Harald Karla? Definitely, yes!
By the way, when I say that I'm generally no longer interested in refills, it's not that I lost interest in the "format".
Simply, I have more than I can use, and most are "gathering dust" - I should be called a collector, not a musician! ;)
But I still can't resist new little masterpieces made by some selected sound designers... :)
Soundcells wrote:
17 Jul 2017
You are absolutely right about the ‘forgotten‘ ReFills :0)
I already have a lot of Parsec patches for version 2, and Analog Signature is planned to be merged with Thor Source.
The combination of these two ReFills is already done in the first step, but there is still a lot to do
Great so you back in strength! :)
I hope those may come out soon, so that you can concentrate on making something new!
Soundcells wrote:
17 Jul 2017
Analog Signature is an ‘old‘ ReFill which was initially released back in Nov 2008 … and a lot of combinators (although this ReFill was updated like the other ones over the years … until 2013) are not using all buttons and knobs.
Nowadays it feels a little bit like an unfinished product (not to use all these combinator buttons and knobs …)
I totally understand you - I too often feel those perfectionist urges - and it's those little details that make the difference between the good and the best.
But even PH makes combis without all knobs/assigned, and you can for example make dedicated backdrops for the versions with less controls, which lessens a lot the unfinished sensation - with a bit of standardizing, you shouldn't need that many new backdrops (I don't remember if you already used this "technique" or not)
Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2017

Not really, at least not in anything synth patch related. With all the REs in my rack there's way to many patches to choose from already. And I prefer to tweak existing patches anyway or put my own effects on them. That way they become "my own" patches.

I've only bought 3 refills: Booster Pack Cinematic and Atmospheres, Booster Pack World, Softphonics Epic Beatre.
So they are all sample based and not synth realated at all.

alex

17 Jul 2017

Yes! I'm always interested in Soundcells refill, especially the RE synth targeted ones.
There's still soooo much ground to cover for Harald Karla's touch, I'm thinking about MonoPoly, Zero, Proton, Parsec 2, ReSpire, Oberon... you name it! ;)
The best things happen after reading the manual. ;)
:reason: :re: :refill: :ignition:

EpiGenetik

17 Jul 2017

Oquasec wrote:
17 Jul 2017
EpiGenetik wrote:
17 Jul 2017

You can put vsts in refills already, but...would anybody be doing this on the regular?
This is a confusing area lol
Sorry that doesn't answer my question at all. lol

What is the technical benefit of putting NKI's into the NN-XT? My problem is that I don't see much point in having the NN-XT upgraded to provide compatibility for proprietary file formats, when Kontakt owners can just as easily put Kontakt in there.

As for the Refills full of VST patches, well there is a huge opportunity for sound designers to do signature patch refills with each big name VST - I see this as a short term market though.

Cheers
B

kitekrazy

22 Jul 2017

I still like the sample refills for NNXT. Programming for the NNXT is tedious from my experience. I have Kontakt, Play, and VSL. I don't really care to open those up in Reason.

kitekrazy

22 Jul 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:
17 Jul 2017
Oquasec wrote:
17 Jul 2017
All Kontakt libraries made after Kontakt 2 are often write protected.

fotizimo

23 Jul 2017

I absolutely love the refill format, and at present, I will pick up any new refills for the following:

- Respire
- Nostromo
- Expanse
- Ammo series
- Antidote

Bitword's refills are truly great, and luckily I was able toget them all before the site closed down. I think I own every one of the NewLoops (Biome Digital) refill packs, and find some truly inspirational sounds in those packs. I bought the entire Impact Soundworks refill combo, and love it.

I love the community of sound developers making refills and actually wish they would continue, although I know that things are looking grim right now. I will do my part to keep them going though.
Fotizimo @ Instagram
:reason: on Surface Pro 4
Nektar Impact 25
Novation Launchkey Mini
Arturia SparkLE Spark Codec for Reason

EpiGenetik

24 Jul 2017

kitekrazy wrote:
22 Jul 2017

"All" ........ "often"
:D

Ahem, sorry about that.

As far as I know the only write protection which is on there, other than whatever anti-piracy they have in place is the password protection which is used on the scripting. That's really there to stop you from pinching other peoples code.

Again, though, I see no reason why having the NN-XT import the sounds would be of any advantage to any Kontakt owner. I get that someone who doesn't own Kontakt might still want to use some of those libraries, but without the scripting that's going to be a somewhat nightmarish experience to get the same sounds going.

QVprod

24 Jul 2017

EpiGenetik wrote:
24 Jul 2017
kitekrazy wrote:
22 Jul 2017

"All" ........ "often"

Ahem, sorry about that.

As far as I know the only write protection which is on there, other than whatever anti-piracy they have in place is the password protection which is used on the scripting. That's really there to stop you from pinching other peoples code.

Again, though, I see no reason why having the NN-XT import the sounds would be of any advantage to any Kontakt owner. I get that someone who doesn't own Kontakt might still want to use some of those libraries, but without the scripting that's going to be a somewhat nightmarish experience to get the same sounds going.
Protected, meaning they wont open in other samples they won't open in anything other than Kontakt. Some samplers can read the old kontakt patches but probably not anything made in the last 10 years or so. People who want NNXT to read .nki want a way to use kontakt patches without buying Kontakt. That is something that is no longer possible, and also pretty silly as you mentioned because the scripting and UI wouldn't translate.

EpiGenetik

25 Jul 2017

QVprod wrote:
24 Jul 2017
EpiGenetik wrote:
24 Jul 2017

Ahem, sorry about that.

Protected, meaning they wont open in other samples they won't open in anything other than Kontakt. Some samplers can read the old kontakt patches but probably not anything made in the last 10 years or so. People who want NNXT to read .nki want a way to use kontakt patches without buying Kontakt. That is something that is no longer possible, and also pretty silly as you mentioned because the scripting and UI wouldn't translate.
Thank you sir!!! :D

This is pretty much what I expected, really. A lot of the feature suggestions we see do have a tendency to miss something obvious but will continue to pop up - I can now file this away under "feature suggestions to ignore".

Many thanks,
B

kitekrazy

26 Jul 2017

QVprod wrote:
24 Jul 2017
EpiGenetik wrote:
24 Jul 2017

Ahem, sorry about that.

Many times translating formats is far from perfect even with 3rd party software.

Quiloc Lim

31 Jul 2017

I still buy them. They are a great source for ideas & nice place to start to make new patches. Especially for new synths I've bought. Being able to see what the patch designers have done helps me to understand the synth a bit better.

The most recent one I bough was this for Spire. Some of them really put the hurt on my Macs CPU. :-)

https://newloops.com/collections/reason ... re-presets

Oquasec

02 Aug 2017

Will support refills for as long as refill are refills.
Producer/Programmer.

Soundcells

04 Aug 2017

@Oquasec:

So - is a rack extension based ReFill e.g. a real ReFill for you?

marcuswitt

04 Aug 2017

Soundcells wrote:
15 Jul 2017
Hi to all,

The subject says it all: Are you still interested in ReFills?
I noticed that the topics in this sub-forum are not getting a lot of views.
As i was away for a too long time (doing a lot of stuff for the https://www.bechstein-digital.com by C.Bechstein), I am still interested in doing more ReFill stuff …

So - that´s my & the overall question: Are ReFills still something you would like to invest in?

Best regards,
Harald | Soundcells
Hello Harald,

my clear answer to your question is YES. I appreciate the fact that this question comes particularly from you because I consider you as one of the Top Five sound designers in the Reason domain in terms of quality and quantity of your products. Your patches are really very well playable and inspiring. And it would be great to see, hear and play more of Soundcells' Refills in the future. From my point of view the Refill format isn't dead yet, it was temporarily put into the background by the flood of VSTs that Reason users got access to all of the sudden.

Cheers,

Marcus

jayhosking

04 Aug 2017

For what it's worth, I love the idea of refills and often want to buy them. The primary reason I don't is because I can't try them first. There are some things (e.g. instruments) that I prefer in RE format, but I would love to dive into refills of textures, drums, and patches for synths I already own. I frequently look at the refills list and consider buying, but change my mind for a) lack of clearly being able to hear/see what I'm going to buy (refills often have no video accompaniment, which is almost standard for REs), b) lack of proper information on the refill (is it new sampled audio? is it borrowing from the Reason soundbank or just tweaking patches? Etc.), c) a lack of clarity on exactly how many patches/combinators/etc. that I'm going to get. That said, some developers even include all that, and I'm still often gun shy. So I don't know. I think maybe the inability to try before I buy is what's stopping me.

Just some thoughts from a person who enjoys buying things on the Props shop but always hesitates on refills. I'm not looking for advice or opinion here, only telling you my experience. Hope it's useful.

Quiloc Lim

08 Aug 2017

I still buy them. I just bought everything released from Mood Echo Audio recently. Sound Cells, Jiggery Pokery, Navi Retlav & Nucleus Soundlab are some of my fav developers. I realize that VST in Reason is where it's at, but I still use my refills for my REs & Thor all the time.

Oquasec

12 Aug 2017

Soundcells wrote:
04 Aug 2017
@Oquasec:

So - is a rack extension based ReFill e.g. a real ReFill for you?
Yes. I can care less about what a refill's made with.
Producer/Programmer.

scratchnsnifff

13 Aug 2017

Iv been buying a lot of sample magic refills! I love Rex loops and "top loops" I wish there were more dubstep "top loops" maybe refill makers could lean more on the side of making sample packs like drum loops and more sampler type sounds, I do love all of my navi retlav refills, when I'm lacking inspiration they come in handy
Mayor of plucktown :evil:

bitley

22 Aug 2017

In a word? Yes!

New patches added for WBF R2.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

22 Aug 2017

bitley™ wrote:
22 Aug 2017

New patches added for WBF R2.
Are you saying there have been more patches added to WBF R2 since WBF R2's release?

• Information