Bounce to mono

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
SymphonicDischord

19 Aug 2017

So I've got a dry bass track that I ran through a VST (Helix Native) and now I would like to bounce that to a new track with the Helix patch but still keep it as a mono signal. I tried a couple different things but so far the best I've managed is stereo. I suppose it's not the end of the world to have a stereo signal but I would prefer if I could keep it mono.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.

MikeMcKew

19 Aug 2017

SymphonicDischord wrote:
19 Aug 2017
So I've got a dry bass track that I ran through a VST (Helix Native) and now I would like to bounce that to a new track with the Helix patch but still keep it as a mono signal. I tried a couple different things but so far the best I've managed is stereo. I suppose it's not the end of the world to have a stereo signal but I would prefer if I could keep it mono.

Any thoughts and help would be appreciated.
You could add an MClass Stereo Imager and bring both bands all the way to mono, then bounce the mixer channel. I just ran a test through an analyzer and it looks like it will make a signal completely mono. You could do this with any other plugin or RE that has a mono option as well.

SymphonicDischord

19 Aug 2017

I've tried it with the Stereo Imager and the Selig Gain (with the mono button on) and still am getting a stereo wave.

Any other suggestions?

MikeMcKew

19 Aug 2017

Oh I see the issue, sorry about that. Well in theory a mono source recorded into a stereo track has exactly the same information in both the left and the right channels. So this is what I'd do:

1. Collapse the sound to mono like you did already
2. Create a new audio track
3. On the mix channel of the source track (the one you're trying to bounce), click the little button that says "Rec Source" so that it turns blue. It's in the expanded view of the mix channel, in the bottom right in case you're not familiar
4. On your audio track, change the audio input to one of the channels of your original track (left or right, again in theory they should be exactly the same)
5. Arm your audio track for recording in the sequncer
6. Hit record and let it play through the whole track

Boom, now you have a mono track of the stereo file. Hopefully that makes sense, I can clarify if needed. It's a bit convoluted, and there's probably an easier way to do it if you're willing to use other programs -- I think some can just split a stereo audio file into two mono channels of its left and right sides. I know Pro Tools has this feature. Anyway, good luck!

Ahornberg

19 Aug 2017

There's the "Width"-knob on the mixer just left beneath the "Pan"-knob.
Turn it to zero and you're done.

SymphonicDischord

19 Aug 2017

Figured it out guys, when I fed the initial track into the VST rack it automatically outputed as stereo. Flipped the the rack around unplugged the right cable feed, bounced to new track, BOOM mono output. Thanks for your help guys, appreciate it.

MikeMcKew

19 Aug 2017

SymphonicDischord wrote:
19 Aug 2017
Figured it out guys, when I fed the initial track into the VST rack it automatically outputed as stereo. Flipped the the rack around unplugged the right cable feed, bounced to new track, BOOM mono output. Thanks for your help guys, appreciate it.
That is a much simpler way, I'll have to keep that in mind. Glad you got it figured out!

SymphonicDischord

19 Aug 2017

MikeMcKew wrote:
19 Aug 2017
SymphonicDischord wrote:
19 Aug 2017
That is a much simpler way, I'll have to keep that in mind. Glad you got it figured out!
Yeah it definitely seemed like I was overthinking it and making it more complicated than it had to be.

selig
RE Developer

19 Aug 2017

Another way, maybe even quicker, is to use the Bounce Mixer Channels and select "all except fader section (or None). By using "bounce to new tracks in song (and "Mute original channels" it's a quick (faster than real time) way to avoid bouncing in real time.

Sent from some crappy device using Tapatalk
Selig Audio, LLC

DrCarlos

18 Dec 2018

MikeMcKew wrote:
19 Aug 2017
Oh I see the issue, sorry about that. Well in theory a mono source recorded into a stereo track has exactly the same information in both the left and the right channels. So this is what I'd do:

3. On the mix channel of the source track (the one you're trying to bounce), click the little button that says "Rec Source" so that it turns blue. It's in the expanded view of the mix channel, in the bottom right in case you're not familiar
4. On your audio track, change the audio input to one of the channels of your original track (left or right, again in theory they should be exactly the same)

Boom, now you have a mono track of the stereo file. Hopefully that makes sense, I can clarify if needed. It's a bit convoluted, and there's probably an easier way to do it if you're willing to use other programs -- I think some can just split a stereo audio file into two mono channels of its left and right sides. I know Pro Tools has this feature. Anyway, good luck!
It took me a while to find this and I'm extremely grateful! I wasn't trying to bounce to mono, but simply bouncing multiple tracks to a stereo audio track inside Reason. I had to route all my tracks to a bus and then record the source. Very cool. Now I can see a waveform of my mix before I finalize (export) my song. Thanks!!!

selig
RE Developer

18 Dec 2018

DrCarlos wrote:
18 Dec 2018
MikeMcKew wrote:
19 Aug 2017

It took me a while to find this and I'm extremely grateful! I wasn't trying to bounce to mono, but simply bouncing multiple tracks to a stereo audio track inside Reason. I had to route all my tracks to a bus and then record the source. Very cool. Now I can see a waveform of my mix before I finalize (export) my song. Thanks!!!
You know it may be easier, and definitely quicker, to use the bounce mixer channels dialog?
Selig Audio, LLC

DrCarlos

18 Dec 2018

selig wrote:
18 Dec 2018
DrCarlos wrote:
18 Dec 2018

You know it may be easier, and definitely quicker, to use the bounce mixer channels dialog?
Selig, yes it is indeed a lot easier and even cooler that way! I had glanced at that feature and immediately assumed that it was only for exporting files. Didn't see the option "Bounce to new tracks in this song". Once again thanks. I am new to the forum and happy to be here.

• Information