Oeksound Soothe

Discuss VST stuff here!
ReasonTalk

01 Aug 2017

"There’s a new breed of ‘smart’ plugin on the scene, devices that can do some of the intelligent heavy-lifting for you, and this ultra cool offering from Oeksound is a prime example."

Read the new review by ReasonTalk member, slightlyprog:

https://www.reasontalk.com/2017/08/oeksound-soothe/

slightlyprog

01 Aug 2017

slightlyprog

02 Aug 2017

Thanks! It's one of those devices that not everyone will see an immediate need for but for those that do it is amazingly helpful. I probably should have mentioned that they have a fully functional demo version. (also, I am not affiliated with the company at all, just a fan :puf_bigsmile: )

joeyluck wrote:
01 Aug 2017

Great review! Excellent job! :puf_smile:

Kalm

03 Aug 2017

Difference between this and Surfer EQ might I ask?? Just curious.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

slightlyprog

03 Aug 2017

Kalm wrote:
03 Aug 2017
Surfer EQ is a very different device, it is first and foremost an EQ with the unique feature that it can detect the pitch of a sound and follow the pitch with the EQ curve.

Soothe is not an EQ it is designed to automatically remove potential problem resonances while leaving the main sonic content of the sound alone.

Kalm

03 Aug 2017

slightlyprog wrote:
03 Aug 2017
Kalm wrote:
03 Aug 2017
Surfer EQ is a very different device, it is first and foremost an EQ with the unique feature that it can detect the pitch of a sound and follow the pitch with the EQ curve.

Soothe is not an EQ it is designed to automatically remove potential problem resonances while leaving the main sonic content of the sound alone.
So it's only working on resonances. What about harmonics? usually if you have a resonance, you'll at least have a strong second harmonic somewhere (if its a natural one). Sounds interesting if it's good for taking out closet tones :idea:
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

miscend

04 Aug 2017

Have you tried you tried TDR Nova? I think it does the same job. It's a compressor with dynamic bands which allows you to soothe resonances and harsh frequencies.

slightlyprog

04 Aug 2017

Kalm wrote:
03 Aug 2017

So it's only working on resonances. What about harmonics? usually if you have a resonance, you'll at least have a strong second harmonic somewhere (if its a natural one). Sounds interesting if it's good for taking out closet tones :idea:

Find something that has pesky elements in the sound that you'd like to remove and give it a try. It determines what is the essence of the sound and pin-points anything that it thinks should be removed / reduced.

I rescued some vocal tracks that had really harsh artifacts caused by the room they were recorded in and some guitar tracks that had a few piercing highs. The algorithm at work in there is very clever at figuring out what is the core of the sound and targeting anything else.

slightlyprog

04 Aug 2017

miscend wrote:
04 Aug 2017
Have you tried you tried TDR Nova? I think it does the same job. It's a compressor with dynamic bands which allows you to soothe resonances and harsh frequencies.
I have the Nova GE version and have been playing with it a bit. It can do something vaguely similar but it appears to create a curve in learn mode and then it homes in on a few bands and those bands remain static. I'm not yet convinced it can accomplish what Soothe can because Soothe is constantly analysing the signal and dipping different frequencies in real time. It's possible that for some tracks Nova might do just as well with some tweaking. Soothe you can just sling onto anything and it just pretty much works straight away.

Kalm

04 Aug 2017

slightlyprog wrote:
04 Aug 2017
Kalm wrote:
03 Aug 2017

Find something that has pesky elements in the sound that you'd like to remove and give it a try. It determines what is the essence of the sound and pin-points anything that it thinks should be removed / reduced.

I rescued some vocal tracks that had really harsh artifacts caused by the room they were recorded in and some guitar tracks that had a few piercing highs. The algorithm at work in there is very clever at figuring out what is the core of the sound and targeting anything else.
That's what I'm talking about. That sounds like a winner. Ima give it a try at some point. I have the perfect vocalist/recording to attempt it with too.

slightlyprog

17 Sep 2017

Just to update his thread a bit. Lots of people have started to discover Soothe and have good things to say about it, a few I'm aware of:

Grammy Winning Engineer Ryan Hewitt (Red Hot Chili Peppers, blink 182, The Lumineers)

Richard Chycki (Rush, Dream Theater, Aerosmith, Alice Cooper, Skillet)

Blake Eiseman (Justin Bieber, Usher, Janet Jackson)

Dimitri Tikovoï (Placebo, The Horrors, Charlie XCX)

CaliforniaBurrito

18 Oct 2017

I finally had an opportunity to begin my trial with this plugin on a crazy FM synth lead in a track I was mixing yesterday and it works great! Amazing plugin and I hope to buy it soon after my trial. The newest version 1.1.2 of Soothe on the website was buggy on my system but I scrolled down on their site to find an older version 1.0.7 that worked for me.

teddymcw

10 Nov 2017

Bump.

Just got an email from Oeksound official list that Soothe is gonna be on sale for $99 later this month and then they're going to release a new product, Spiff, before going back to improve Soothe.

Sounds good to me I'm excited to try them out.

Oeksound is a Finnish company so I hope they can work well with all the Swedish software I'm running rt now [emoji3] sorry for bad joke. I have no promotional interest btw, just interested bc the products seem to fill a good niche I could use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EnochLight

12 Nov 2017

Nice review!

I'm demoing this right now, and it's pretty cool. Not a fan of the GUI/UX, and absolutely HATE that I can't resize it. :shock: Setting oversample to 4x and resolution to ultra is a DSP killer, but I suppose that's to be expected. For ~$173 USD it's a hard sell for me, since I already own Neutron and it can do something similar. If I didn't own Neutron (and wasn't considering upgrading to Neutron 2 for ~$199 USD), I might consider this though.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

CaliforniaBurrito

18 Nov 2017

teddymcw wrote:
10 Nov 2017
Just got an email from Oeksound official list that Soothe is gonna be on sale for $99 later this month and then they're going to release a new product, Spiff, before going back to improve Soothe.
Can we please update the thread when it goes on sale? I didn't receive the email and I definitely don't want to miss this!

Edit: Oeksound just wrote on Facebook "Guess what happens next Friday!!!" so it seems I should just set a mobile reminder for the day of Black Friday. ;)

CaliforniaBurrito

18 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
12 Nov 2017
For ~$173 USD it's a hard sell for me, since I already own Neutron and it can do something similar. If I didn't own Neutron (and wasn't considering upgrading to Neutron 2 for ~$199 USD), I might consider this though.
How does Neutron do something similar? I thought there was just a dynamic EQ? Even with dynamic EQ, there is a process of honing in on problematic areas with precision, which is the whole point of Soothe. I understand the comparison if the utilization is fairly basic, such as de-essing a vocal, but I'm thinking of utilization in trickier situations.

EnochLight

18 Nov 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
18 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
12 Nov 2017
For ~$173 USD it's a hard sell for me, since I already own Neutron and it can do something similar. If I didn't own Neutron (and wasn't considering upgrading to Neutron 2 for ~$199 USD), I might consider this though.
How does Neutron do something similar? I thought there was just a dynamic EQ? Even with dynamic EQ, there is a process of honing in on problematic areas with precision, which is the whole point of Soothe. I understand the comparison if the utilization is fairly basic, such as de-essing a vocal, but I'm thinking of utilization in trickier situations.
Neutron's Track Assistant doesn't just use EQ; it uses EQ, compression, transient shaper, exciter, gate, etc. Admittedly far more complex, so if simplicity is your end game Soothe clearly has an upper leg. I was just noting the barely $26 USD cost in difference for me to upgrade, so it's hard to justify adding Soothe if I already have Neutron.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

CaliforniaBurrito

18 Nov 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
18 Nov 2017
EnochLight wrote:
18 Nov 2017
Neutron's Track Assistant doesn't just use EQ; it uses EQ, compression, transient shaper, exciter, gate, etc. Admittedly far more complex, so if simplicity is your end game Soothe clearly has an upper leg. I was just noting the barely $26 USD cost in difference for me to upgrade, so it's hard to justify adding Soothe if I already have Neutron.
I am familiar with Track Assistant in Ozone 8 and Oeksound Soothe doesn't function the same way as Track Assistant in regards to the dynamic EQ module. Soothe is surely a very focused device but my point is I don't think Neutron can do what Soothe does. :)

But whatever's clever. I realize it isn't a tool for everybody. :)

EnochLight

18 Nov 2017

CaliforniaBurrito wrote:
18 Nov 2017
I am familiar with Track Assistant in Ozone 8 and Oeksound Soothe doesn't function the same way as Track Assistant in regards to the dynamic EQ module. Soothe is surely a very focused device but my point is I don't think Neutron can do what Soothe does. :)

But whatever's clever. I realize it isn't a tool for everybody. :)
I realize they may function differently, but if both get you from "point A'" to "point B", that's really all that matters. Again, my situation is the difference in cost between the two (Neutron 2 upgrade or Soothe), which may be unique to my situation. I'm glad Soothe works for those who like it, though! :)

CaliforniaBurrito

18 Nov 2017

EnochLight wrote:
18 Nov 2017
I realize they may function differently, but if both get you from "point A'" to "point B", that's really all that matters.
Sure and this can be said for many goods. Twelve grain bread is not the same as seven grain bread but it's all good if we are enjoying our sandwiches. :bread:

plaamook

23 Nov 2017

Well, I got it. Really elegant plug IMO.

Edit:
I like it so much I had to buy it yeasterday rather than wait for TODAY!!! so I could save myself €50.(smaks himself in the head)
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

teddymcw

24 Nov 2017

Sale started for this one.

It’s helping any mic’d Recording in my terribly body non-recording room. Also on any vocal sample I try and lotsa other little jobs. Nice not revolutionary.

Ixus

29 Nov 2017

I was happy to see sale was still on. I've tried it on only 1 project so far but this thing works as intended. I run distorted guitars thru it and it removes alot of hiss, even after i've been cutting problematic peaks.

Perfect for a lazy bastard like me, I'll slap it on everything haha!

dvdrtldg

29 Nov 2017

Anybody done a comparison with this and Sonible's Frei:Raum?

• Information