iOS 9 to fully support AU

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
EnochLight

13 Jun 2015

For iOS users, this is actually pretty bad ass:

http://9to5mac.com/2015/06/12/ios-9-aud ... sturments/
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

14 Jun 2015

This is pretty awesome though I was rather expecting Apple to do the opposite and only allow separate applications as "audio plugins" on OSX too, like it was/is on iOS. From a security standpoint thats the better solution because you don't have to execute arbitrary code (plugin) in the user and memory space of an application (host). I do think this is the better solution overall though.

Gaja

14 Jun 2015

If props would manage to RE in there...
Cheers!
Fredhoven

tiker01

14 Jun 2015

Gaja wrote:If props would manage to RE in there...
Yes it would be really nice if Re-s could work on iOS.

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

EnochLight

14 Jun 2015

About RE's.. I have to imagine that their sandboxed nature and essentially being managed by Reason as a "virtual OS" would allow them to run on iOS as well as Android or any other platform - as soon as Reason can. That said, I have no idea actually.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

normen

14 Jun 2015

EnochLight wrote:About RE's.. I have to imagine that their sandboxed nature and essentially being managed by Reason as a "virtual OS" would allow them to run on iOS as well as Android or any other platform - as soon as Reason can. That said, I have no idea actually.
Given what info about this is publicly available - yes, its definitely possible.

selig
RE Developer

14 Jun 2015

This is Doug Wyatt's project - you may remember him from Opcode creating OMS and with Apple creating OSX's Audio/MIDI system. 

For those interested in hearing more, here's Doug's talk from two days ago at WWDC 2015:

https://developer.apple.com/videos/wwdc/2015/?id=508 

And he's a very talented musician as well!
:)
Selig Audio, LLC

normen

14 Jun 2015

Honestly Audio Units were a wee bit over-designed, good call to make a simpler ObjC overlay for it.

Theo.M

14 Jun 2015

normen wrote:This is pretty awesome though I was rather expecting Apple to do the opposite and only allow separate applications as "audio plugins" on OSX too, like it was/is on iOS. From a security standpoint thats the better solution because you don't have to execute arbitrary code (plugin) in the user and memory space of an application (host). I do think this is the better solution overall though.

i think there was such a big dev uproar about au sandboxing that it deterred them

normen

15 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:i think there was such a big dev uproar about au sandboxing that it deterred them
Actually v3 AUs run in a separate process. And I didn't hear any "uproar", developers should easily see the advantages. This is something different than sandboxing anyway. Separate apps and separate users on an OS are not "sandboxing".

Theo.M

15 Jun 2015

Theo.M wrote:i think there was such a big dev uproar about au sandboxing that it deterred them
normen wrote: Actually v3 AUs run in a separate process. And I didn't hear any "uproar", developers should easily see the advantages. This is something different than sandboxing anyway. Separate apps and separate users on an OS are not "sandboxing".
ok sorry i misunderstood but there was definitely an online forum uproar from quite a few major devs about logic and au becoming sandboxed.. so much that apple dropped it. Sorry I confused what you were saying with sandboxing. 

• Information