AutoTheory (Pro)

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EdGrip

10 Jul 2017

Hello!
This could have gone in VST, Reason General, or here. I picked one. Move it if need be.

I spotted that AutoTheory Pro is on sale at PluginBoutique - http://www.pluginboutique.com/product/3 ... f7faf6caa0

I've always been interested in AutoTheory, but the GUI of the RE is like sadness and boredom made of pixels so I was always put off.
The GUI of the general non-RE version is much more appealing* but really, my question is:

Do the Players make AutoTheory largely obsolete?

Thanks,
- Ed

*Someone may be thinking "But Ed, skeuomorphic UI designs have been proven by science to be better and..."
Nah, mate. Nah.

Ahornberg

10 Jul 2017

The VST version actually won't work in Reason because it's output is MIDI.

I don't think the players make AutoTheory obsolete. Their functionality overlap but not completely.

EdGrip

10 Jul 2017

Ahh, thanks for that. It was just a thought.

joel

10 Jul 2017

EdGrip wrote:
10 Jul 2017
Ahh, thanks for that. It was just a thought.
i just bought it ( 17€ ), it's autotheory version 2 ( in reason , it's always version 1 )
it seems it is possible to play auto-theory apps with reason or in reason, i dont know how ( we have to go in preferences control surface )
this is not simple
and to install we have to pass by ilok licence which crazy thing
everything is complicated with that

starflakeprj

17 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
10 Jul 2017

I don't think the players make AutoTheory obsolete. Their functionality overlap but not completely.
AutoTheory is not a VST plugin, it's a MIDI mapper software. It connects to any DAW by sending MIDI information to the MIDI input of your DAW. So the "standalone" version works perfectly even with Reason.

Ahornberg

17 Jul 2017

starflakeprj wrote:
17 Jul 2017
Ahornberg wrote:
10 Jul 2017

AutoTheory is not a VST plugin, it's a MIDI mapper software. It connects to any DAW by sending MIDI information to the MIDI input of your DAW. So the "standalone" version works perfectly even with Reason.
Oh sorry, I overlooked that in my what's-not-an-RE-must-be-a-VST-view :oops:
Here's a tutorial:

reminds me on the installation process of MaschineR http://retouchcontrol.com/maschiner/

starflakeprj

17 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
17 Jul 2017
starflakeprj wrote:
17 Jul 2017

Oh sorry, I overlooked that in my what's-not-an-RE-must-be-a-VST-view :oops:
Here's a tutorial:

reminds me on the installation process of MaschineR http://retouchcontrol.com/maschiner/
No worries :)

This is of course much more cumbersome, so I would go with the RE (I have them both) in case I would be using Reason only.

• Information