Please help - Reason Saving issues

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
TheFesta
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 23 Feb 2016

Over the last few months i have been having problems with reason not saving my projects.

It is now becoming a regular occurrence that after getting so far into my project and trying to save i get an error message saying reason cant save due to a missing sample file. The error reads as follows:

Unable to save the document. The file 'xxx'.wav' can not be included since it is missing.

But i have not made any changes to any samples since the last save, nor have i moved any samples.

This has happened several times now and is really starting to get on my nerves - i have posted asking this question before, but i never got a response.

i have not contacted Propellerheads yet as i was hoping someone on the forum may also have run into this issue (The stories i have read regarding Props dealing with customer service issues didnt fill me with confidence to go straight to them).

Just for the record - this has happened with saving files that i havent even used any samples on, and on more than one pc ..
(i have 2 windows laptops - one with windows 7 one with windows 8 - i have actually wiped one of the laptops and reinstalled windows to try and fix the problem - but this problem still continued)

Image
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 605
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 23 Feb 2016

I think Reason has a function to automatically search and replace files somewhere. Hang on, I'll see if I can find it.

sdst
Posts: 873
Joined: 14 Jun 2015

Post 23 Feb 2016

look at the self-contain and uncheck that sample

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 605
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 23 Feb 2016

Hmmm I think the Missing Sounds function is only available when opening a project, not saving it.

If you know which device uses that sample, try reloading it to see if it can save again.

User avatar
TheFesta
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 23 Feb 2016

Thankyou for your replies.

as you say Aquila: Missing sounds Function is not available when saving.

i have also located the sample and replaced it back into the sampler, yet it still will not save

sdst: I get the 'file not found' error message when trying to uncheck the file in the self contain setting.

???
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

User avatar
TheFesta
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 23 Feb 2016

Not sure either how i would be able to send the error to Propellerheads as i cant save the file to send it to them?

the save before does not have this error (obviously because i could save it)?
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

WongoTheSane
Moderator
Posts: 1851
Joined: 14 Sep 2015
Location: Paris, France

Post 24 Feb 2016

Can you load the last version of the song and save it under another name, without changing anything in it? The idea being that if you can, the error is in something you added later, otherwise the song might be corrupted. If you can't save it under another name, is it at all possible that you post it here so we can have a look and try on our end?

User avatar
Loque
Moderator
Posts: 9018
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 24 Feb 2016

In sudden cases IO operations fail it is mostly related to harddisc problems, especially if the fail times increases. Copy the soundbanks to an external drive and try to locate the samples from their.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Aquila
Posts: 605
Joined: 21 Jan 2015

Post 25 Feb 2016

Try duplicating the bad file with a different name and replace the one in your project with it. Does it work then?

User avatar
TheFesta
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 25 Feb 2016

WongoTheSane wrote:Can you load the last version of the song and save it under another name, without changing anything in it? The idea being that if you can, the error is in something you added later, otherwise the song might be corrupted. If you can't save it under another name, is it at all possible that you post it here so we can have a look and try on our end?
Yes i can do this, but not sure how it would help. i have done quite a lot since the last save (and i keep adding to it as i feel i cant work on anything else until i finish it - at least that way i can print a finished track).

Weird thing is i have never touched this sample that it cannot locate (i'm sure i haven't) since the last save.

Also as i think i said in my first post, this has happened many times before.... the first time it happened it said it couldn't locate sample#1 and there wasn't even a sample#1 being used in the project?! (I was using a homemade template at the time and thought it might have had something to do with that, so i scrapped the template and start everything from scratch now.)

A week or so later it did it again with a sample i was using ( i had not made any changes to this sample nor had i moved it)...
Then i wiped my laptop, reinstalled reason and my samples and reason folder and started again....
....sure enough, so long into another track it did exactly the same thing.

Starting to get really got pissed off now so decided to use my other laptop instead.. (same samples and reason refill folder as my other laptop).
was alright for a couple weeks, then it did on this laptop as well (i had not moved any samples, nor edited any samples????!!! aaaarghh).

So i suppose i could go back to the previously saved file - but it wouldn't solve the problem, and even if it is something i have done since the last save (which logic tells me it must be) - still not sure how i would determine what exactly has caused it (specially considering i'm certain i haven't touched the sample in question since the last save).

i was wondering if it was something to do with my favourites, i have my samples folder in there? maybe i should take it out?
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

User avatar
TheFesta
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 25 Feb 2016

Aquila wrote:Try duplicating the bad file with a different name and replace the one in your project with it. Does it work then?
Already tried this.... Didnt work :cry:
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

User avatar
TheFesta
Posts: 53
Joined: 20 Jan 2015

Post 25 Feb 2016

Loque wrote:In sudden cases IO operations fail it is mostly related to harddisc problems, especially if the fail times increases. Copy the soundbanks to an external drive and try to locate the samples from their.
This has happend on 2 seperate laptops :cry:
"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man."• Dr  Samuel Johnson

:recycle: :reason: :record: :ignition: :PUF_balance: :refill: :re:

Hrappur
Posts: 1
Joined: 01 Jul 2016

Post 01 Jul 2016

I had the same problem.

What I found out is, when I saved the patch that held the trouble some sample
(In doing so I had to un-check all the samples in the "containing window" that belonged to say'd device, to be able to save the patch)
After I the patch had been saved, I was able to add the troublesome samples back in the containing folder and save the project.
The trouble is I didn't add all the samples to the "containing window" from the patch be for I saved the project.
And now I don't see them in the "Containing" window anymore

It might not be a problem if the Reason file contains the Patch and samples inside it self, but I'm not sure if it does

Kv: Kári

its_link_not_zelda
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Jul 2017

Post 06 Jul 2017

had the same issue on my macbook, just found a solution. go to the reason song file in a finder window, right click, and duplicate. there will be a popup asking if you want to recover or delete orphan audio streams; this is referring to the "missing file". click recover. a copy of your project will open with an audio track containing the missing audio file. :thumbs_up:

its_link_not_zelda
Posts: 2
Joined: 06 Jul 2017

Post 06 Jul 2017

TheFesta wrote:
25 Feb 2016
Aquila wrote:Try duplicating the bad file with a different name and replace the one in your project with it. Does it work then?
Already tried this.... Didnt work :cry:
duplicate the entire project file in finder. you'll get a popup asking if you want to recover or delete orphan audio streams, that's the "missing file" it's chuffed about. click recover, a copy of your project will open with the missing file in a separate audio track.

User avatar
Oquasec
Posts: 2847
Joined: 05 Mar 2017

Post 06 Jul 2017

Reason has self contain settings in preferences, it's not automatic.

ivantsy
Posts: 1
Joined: 07 Aug 2017

Post 07 Aug 2017

I had the same problem. I found the sample, Reason speaks about under icon with Waveform picture - 'Song Samples' in Unassigned Samples folder.
After I have removed that sample ( I did not need it; it gets there, when I tried different sounds, maybe), I was able to save the song.

Haystack
Posts: 1
Joined: 12 Feb 2018

Post 12 Feb 2018

Hi
Just had this problem with a song which I hadn't changed anything on for a few days - and tried to save.

I had an error saying I was missing 'Sample 1' - no idea where that came from...

I fixed it as follows (I'm using Reason 9.5)

In the Browser section -
Click on 'Song Samples'
Click on 'Unassigned Samples' (or All Self-contained Samples) and look for the sample causing the issue.
Right click for options - I deleted it.

Hope this might help someone ..

H.

Ezmar
Posts: 13
Joined: 14 Mar 2018

Post 30 Mar 2018

Haystack wrote:
12 Feb 2018
Hi
Just had this problem with a song which I hadn't changed anything on for a few days - and tried to save.

I had an error saying I was missing 'Sample 1' - no idea where that came from...

I fixed it as follows (I'm using Reason 9.5)

In the Browser section -
Click on 'Song Samples'
Click on 'Unassigned Samples' (or All Self-contained Samples) and look for the sample causing the issue.
Right click for options - I deleted it.

Hope this might help someone ..

H.
The above solution worked perfectly for me. Don't know what causes this error, but I sure know what fixes it now.

steveg1bbs
Posts: 2
Joined: 01 May 2018

Post 01 May 2018

Haystack wrote:
12 Feb 2018
Hi
Just had this problem with a song which I hadn't changed anything on for a few days - and tried to save.

I had an error saying I was missing 'Sample 1' - no idea where that came from...

I fixed it as follows (I'm using Reason 9.5)

In the Browser section -
Click on 'Song Samples'
Click on 'Unassigned Samples' (or All Self-contained Samples) and look for the sample causing the issue.
Right click for options - I deleted it.

Hope this might help someone ..

H.

Haystack, you're my hero - this work-around saved me from losing a morning's worth of edits and recording!

skie
Posts: 232
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 03 Jun 2018

I'm having this problem now, I found the file under "unassigned samples", that was causing the problem, but when I deleted it, my kick stopped! It's saying my snare is also unassigned but I'm afraid to delete it incase reason loses that too.

btate0121
Posts: 1
Joined: 08 Aug 2018

Post 08 Aug 2018

ivantsy wrote:
07 Aug 2017
I had the same problem. I found the sample, Reason speaks about under icon with Waveform picture - 'Song Samples' in Unassigned Samples folder.
After I have removed that sample ( I did not need it; it gets there, when I tried different sounds, maybe), I was able to save the song.
A year later, this saved a file I was working on, thank you sir!

VariableX
Posts: 545
Joined: 02 Apr 2018

Post 13 Dec 2018

Haystack wrote:
12 Feb 2018
Hi
Just had this problem with a song which I hadn't changed anything on for a few days - and tried to save.

I had an error saying I was missing 'Sample 1' - no idea where that came from...

I fixed it as follows (I'm using Reason 9.5)

In the Browser section -
Click on 'Song Samples'
Click on 'Unassigned Samples' (or All Self-contained Samples) and look for the sample causing the issue.
Right click for options - I deleted it.

Hope this might help someone ..

H.
Thanks! Just had to do this for some sample that I never even used, but it appeared in the Unassigned Samples folder.
Really weird but i'm glad you found the solution, thanks for posting it :-)

Farmerman
Posts: 1
Joined: 30 Sep 2020

Post 30 Sep 2020

Has this issue progressed in anyway? Has anyone seen a response from reason studios acknowledging this problem?
Should this happen? Is it a problem with Reason?
This certainly never happens with any other kind of file on my computer
its 2-3 hours of work to replace all the corrupt files, each time

If you happen to be a reason rep. please explain what the cause is, please :cry:

praznovsky.m
Posts: 50
Joined: 11 Apr 2016
Location: Bratislava

Post 08 Jun 2021

Haystack wrote:
12 Feb 2018
I fixed it as follows (I'm using Reason 9.5)

In the Browser section -
Click on 'Song Samples'
Click on 'Unassigned Samples' (or All Self-contained Samples) and look for the sample causing the issue.
Right click for options - I deleted it.
Thank you so much

Im on R11 and its scary that this error is still alive.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Noise and 4 guests