Omg Way Beyond Fairlight...

Need some fresh sounds? Want to show off your sound design skills? Here's the place!
X1Lo

18 Jan 2015

So I just purchased Bitley's refill WBF and holy crap it is everything I wanted and more.  It was suggested to me in a thread over at PUF but the price was a bit out of my range at the time. Does anyone own the Sinclavier refill and if so how does it compare to the WBF?  I normally don't go on 'I love this' rambles but I just couldn't help myself haha :s0221:
"As I stare into the digital abyss, I will remember when the world was real."

Theo.M

19 Jan 2015

X1Lo wrote:So I just purchased Bitley's refill WBF and holy crap it is everything I wanted and more.  It was suggested to me in a thread over at PUF but the price was a bit out of my range at the time. Does anyone own the Sinclavier refill and if so how does it compare to the WBF?  I normally don't go on 'I love this' rambles but I just couldn't help myself haha :s0221:
Yeah it's great really covers a lot of areas and in most cases is easy on the cpu.

For me it was worth the cost of entry just for the lately bass which is the best one I heard in sampler format so far.. everything else was just a VEEERY nice bonus! hehe.

tt_lab

19 Jan 2015

X1Lo wrote:So I just purchased Bitley's refill WBF and holy crap it is everything I wanted and more.  It was suggested to me in a thread over at PUF but the price was a bit out of my range at the time. Does anyone own the Sinclavier refill and if so how does it compare to the WBF?  I normally don't go on 'I love this' rambles but I just couldn't help myself haha :s0221:
It is that good and beyond(pun intended). Loved it since I purchased it

JoshuaPhilgarlic

19 Jan 2015

X1Lo wrote:Does anyone own the Sinclavier refill and if so how does it compare to the WBF?
I own the Fairlight stuff, and today - due to the sale -  I got Synclavier I+II.

Fairlight is a must-have - especially if you like 80s music and sounds. It contains recordings of an original Fairlight CMI (cause Bitley owns one) and a lot of 80s related stuff more.

Synclavier is different: all sounds are "inspired" by Synclavier, but there's no real Synclavier involved as Bitley explained in a thread at PUF. He knows his retro gear very well and learned, which manufacturer sampled Fairlight or Synclavier patches. So, in the Synclavier Refill, there's a big chance to hear D-50, M1 or Emu samplers instead.

And there's nothing wrong! Synclavier I contains a collection of very beautiful pads and digital stuff. It sound very expensive and is probably useful. But I have a problem with Synclavier II (= the second one of this edition). It provides much less content, it's too experimental (for my taste), and I have no idea why it should be Synclavier-related.

So I would say: # I is a good supplement for Fairlight, #II is.... meeeeh :? .

bitley

19 Jan 2015

I hear what you're saying and I thank you for commenting. However, the comparsion isn't too fair since like I said I just lowered the prices to 22 USD for this deal and WBS2 was raised by 3 USD from its standard price of 19 USD just to even out all prices to 22 USD, again, for this particular deal (built on the fact that Pheads forums will close by the 22nd). The way I felt when creating it was that it was really... versatile, which is why I called it "WBS2 - Versatile". Of course it can't be compared directly to WBF which is a $99 refill normally (and even that is extremely price-pressed). Anyway, all opinions are welcome and I'll see if I can't add something to WBS2 to make it feel more valuable. Are the WBS refills related to Synclavier? Oh yes, of course they are. :) What's wrong about D-50, M1 and Emulator III? :) The way I see it all of these synths & samplers are closely related. They all come from an era and I can definitely see how they are 'tied' to each other. That, too, was also the idea with WBF, which includes many many other synths than Fairlight. While providing all of the CMI was one thing, the other thing was that nobody ever used the CMI on its own; in a typical high end studio of the 80s both Fairlight and Synclavier would usually be surrounded and combined with lots and lots of other gear. Neither the CMI or the Synclav can do good Matrix 12 or JX8P strings for instance, which is why that is included. Oh well, I could go on... anyway, hope you'll find a large portion of these sounds inspiring. Even if you might not understand the sounds now after 2-3 days I am sure you will after like 2-3 months... or years... use it! ;-)

Heater

20 Jan 2015

I've bought this.  How do I download it. 

I got an email saying I've got a shared dropbox but I would have to upgrade my dropbox for it to fit.
How do I just download the file?

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Heater wrote:I've bought this.  How do I download it. 

I got an email saying I've got a shared dropbox but I would have to upgrade my dropbox for it to fit.
You can't. Patrick will suggest creating dropbox accounts with your own extra emails to gain extra space. My free account  is 3.5gb now by doing all their checkpoint list to get extra space (did you do those yet?) and joining up a couple of my other emails.

I still had to delete WBF though as i ran out of space, so if there's ever an update I will have to ask Patrick for an invite again.

The other workaround would be for Patrick to put the files in his dropbox "public" folder and share the link with buyers, but I am guessing he hasn't done this because it will make piracy of the product even easier, so his decision is understandable imo.

This has been discussed a few times, and for Patrick's situation he has been unable to find a better solution thus far.

Heater

20 Jan 2015

Bavanity wrote:
You can't. Patrick will suggest creating dropbox accounts with your own extra emails to gain extra space. My free account  is 3.5gb now by doing all their checkpoint list to get extra space (did you do those yet?) and joining up a couple of my other emails.

I still had to delete WBF though as i ran out of space, so if there's ever an update I will have to ask Patrick for an invite again.

The other workaround would be for Patrick to put the files in his dropbox "public" folder and share the link with buyers, but I am guessing he hasn't done this because it will make piracy of the product even easier, so his decision is understandable imo.

This has been discussed a few times, and for Patrick's situation he has been unable to find a better solution thus far.
Thanks Bavanity.  

I've gone for a free 14 day trail of 1TB of dropbox.  Hopefully that will help.

Theo.M

20 Jan 2015

Bavanity wrote:

Heater wrote:
Thanks Bavanity.  

Hey is that a free trial? Might try that myself...

Heater

20 Jan 2015

Bavanity wrote:

Heater wrote:
Thanks Bavanity.  

Bavanity wrote:
Hey is that a free trial? Might try that myself...

Yes mate.  It is a free trial.

JNeffLind

20 Jan 2015

After writing two songs in a day with just WBF I just pulled the trigger on WBS. Haven't received it yet but at $22.00 and the level of quality I've seen so far it's hard to imagine it's going to be anything but solid. 

pedrocaetanos

21 Jan 2015

Regarding the download topic, why not use instead skydrive which has a much larger free space? (at least 15 GB)

Based on a true story. No Musical Instruments Were Harmed in the Making of This Forum Post. | :arrow: SoundCloud set | :reason: :record: :recycle: :reload: :refillpacker: :refill: :re: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Exowildebeest

21 Jan 2015

Got WBF too - at this crazy price, I can live with the fact that there are many retroish sounds in there that I don't care much for, and the annoying Dropbox thingy.

There are some absolute gems of patches in there - and besides synths, there's also a huge amount of drums that are very interesting and a good addition to any producer's collection.

bitley

21 Jan 2015

• About dropbox space: The refill is 5 GB _before_ packing but 2 GB on disk.

• Empty your dropbox before downloading if you have a limited space.

• After downloading, unjoin the share to win back the space.

• You can rejoin anytime by using the 'rejoin past shared folders' function in the web version of Dropbox.

• You do not need to install Dropbox on your computer if you don't want to.

• A free dropbox account is sufficient for downloading any & all products with this method.

Exowildebeest

21 Jan 2015

Indeed the Dropbox wasn't all that annoying to me either - had to sign up, but beyond that it was just click and download.

Theo.M

21 Jan 2015

bitley™ wrote:

bitley™ wrote: • About dropbox space: The refill is 5 GB _before_ packing but 2 GB on disk.

• Empty your dropbox before downloading if you have a limited space.

• After downloading, unjoin the share to win back the space.

• You can rejoin anytime by using the 'rejoin past shared folders' function in the web version of Dropbox.

• You do not need to install Dropbox on your computer if you don't want to.

• A free dropbox account is sufficient for downloading any & all products with this method.
all good and makes sense except the empty dropbox part if needed.. i doubt anyone will be willing to clean out what could be important stuff in their dropbox for the refill.

Why not try the microsoft skydrive suggestion which is free and 15gb?

Also, i deleted my WBF share to get the space for WBS as i was totally maxxed out, but i didn't realise that it reclaimed the space with the share simply "unjoined", and i went ahead and deleted it completely.

I suppose that doesn't matter unless a major update or something comes along, but it's good to know i can just unjoin stuff and have the space and rejoin just when i want to download them. Sorry about that annoying inconvenience Patrick, but i won't ask to rejoin WBF unless there is an update or something.

Did you also ever consider shareit?

eusti

21 Jan 2015

bitley™ wrote:
Theo.M wrote:
all good and makes sense except the empty dropbox part if needed.. i doubt anyone will be willing to clean out what could be important stuff in their dropbox for the refill.
I agree with this. For some (many?) people dropbox is already something they use (professionally) for file delivery... Pulling some stuff out works for me, but emptying it completely is not convenient...
I'd say that the file delivery is the only minor point that I'd love to see remedied with Bitley's offerings... Totally top in all other regards!

D.

Exowildebeest

21 Jan 2015

I'm not sure how Dropbox really works, but why would you have to "clear out" files?

You're downloading to your PC, not to a virtual cloudbox, or whatever? (Unless we are indeed talking about the latter)

eusti

21 Jan 2015

Exowildebeest wrote:I'm not sure how Dropbox really works, but why would you have to "clear out" files?

You're downloading to your PC, not to a virtual cloudbox, or whatever? (Unless we are indeed talking about the latter)
It's depending how you use the dropbox folder. It acts as a virtual hard drive volume that is connected through the internet. You can sync it to a folder on your hard drive. I use it for file delivery. I put stuff into the public folder on my hard drive, which gets synced to the online dropbox. When it's fully uploaded I get the link to that file and send it to the person I want to share these files with. They can then download the files by clicking on that link.  When you have a lot of files on your dropbox already allowing a shared folder on that dropbox can cause you to run out of space as a shared folder is then located on both dropboxes.

D.

bitley

21 Jan 2015

Yup, the method isn't 100% perfect for all but suitable for most. No method would be 100% perfect I think.

Theo.M

21 Jan 2015

bitley™ wrote:Yup, the method isn't 100% perfect for all but suitable for most. No method would be 100% perfect I think.
well not to be  :t0152:

but something with more space standard would be close to perfect wouldn't it? i mean let's say dropbox had 15gb standard for any level user.. i doubt anyone would even be "unjoining" their bitley stuff in this case.. they would simply make a dropbox account with an email dedicated for bitley, easy.

bitley

21 Jan 2015

Yup. I must make smaller refills. :D
Anyway. Deal deadline sunday 19.00 CET.

FrankJaeger

21 Jan 2015

I bought the WBF because it was on sale and I have to say that it would be worth 2 to 3 times that just for the Kong patches. I would gladly use his Kong patches over Vengeance samples ANY day of the week. As I stated on the PUF, I have always enjoyed that 80s to early 90s sound and Bitley hits the nail right on the head with every patch. I couldn't find one that sucked (didn't go through all of them; far too many) and I was listening to them through Imac speakers. I'm going to buy the WBS because I think it would be absolutely foolish to not pick it up after hearing the WBF and "mama didn't raise no foo"!!!! :P
Midniite Music
My Gear: 2021 Macbook Pro M1/UA Volt 176 Interface/JBL Series 3, 8" Monitors/Akai MPK mini mk3/

GRIFTY

21 Jan 2015

is WBF worth it for Fairlight XXL owners?  how much extra content is there?

offaxisdaddy

21 Jan 2015

GRIFTY wrote:is WBF worth it for Fairlight XXL owners?  how much extra content is there?
Yes, it's worth it. If you enjoy what you have with XXL you won't be disappointed. New additional sample sets and 1000+ new patches. A steal at $22!  :)

• Information