Anyone made MPE work with Reason?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
f2f2111d

28 Jun 2017

I've heard of people using Remote to make Reason respond to polyphonic aftertouch...

Ahornberg

29 Jun 2017

... maybe converting polyphonic aftertouch to monophonic afterouch. But MPE requires more than one MIDI channel.

f2f2111d

01 Jul 2017

Yeah, I wish I knew how the poly at trick worked.

dtaki

02 Jul 2017

I haven't, but I think one way (if not the only way) you would do it is:

1) Create a Combinator with a mixer (or two, if you need to use all 16 channels)
2) Load 16 instances of Thor (or whatever synth you want to control) into the combinator
3) In the combinator's programmer, de-select the "Receive notes" option on all 16 Thors
4) In Preferences -> Sync, select your MPE device (Linnstrument, Roli, etc.) as Bus A
5) In the Advanced MIDI device in the rack, set each channel to control its own Thor within the combinator.

I've never owned an MPE instrument, but I'm pretty sure that's how they work; they automatically send each note and associated set of expressive controls on its own MIDI channel, so unless the plugin you are using specifically supports multi-channel input, you have to open up 16 instances of it and set each instance to receive on a different MIDI channel. In fact, even if the plugin supports MPE within Ableton or another DAW, you will still have to do it this way in Reason, because Reason re-channelizes all incoming MIDI to channel 1 except for MIDI that is coming in as an Advanced MIDI device.

ind3xs

17 Jul 2018

dtaki wrote:
02 Jul 2017

1) Create a Combinator with a mixer (or two, if you need to use all 16 channels)
2) Load 16 instances of Thor (or whatever synth you want to control) into the combinator
3) In the combinator's programmer, de-select the "Receive notes" option on all 16 Thors
4) In Preferences -> Sync, select your MPE device (Linnstrument, Roli, etc.) as Bus A
5) In the Advanced MIDI device in the rack, set each channel to control its own Thor within the combinator.

I've never owned an MPE instrument, but I'm pretty sure that's how they work; they automatically send each note and associated set of expressive controls on its own MIDI channel, so unless the plugin you are using specifically supports multi-channel input, you have to open up 16 instances of it and set each instance to receive on a different MIDI channel. In fact, even if the plugin supports MPE within Ableton or another DAW, you will still have to do it this way in Reason, because Reason re-channelizes all incoming MIDI to channel 1 except for MIDI that is coming in as an Advanced MIDI device.
This is also how I understand the MPE operates. Considering buying a linnstrument so tested the above mentioned method and it works like a charm. Thanks! I tinkered a different method but this one is much easier.

phithegoldenratio

18 Aug 2018

dtaki wrote:
02 Jul 2017

Just jumping in to confirm: this DOES work as it should. what i needed to do in addition to above mentioned steps: also 1) uncheck the boxes for pitchbend in the combinator for each synth device, otherwise it would perform unwanted pitch bends and 2) increase the range of pitchbend to max value (Parsec as example allows 24 which is ideal)

tried with Linnstrument 128 :)

BillThePill

26 Aug 2019

Hello guys, any idea if Reason 11 will finally be able to deal with MPE like other DAWs?

The plugin feature is cool (for me is more practical than ReWire, but it's also kind of disappointing seeing Reason back as the addon that came with Ableton when I purchased my first Pro Tools LE kit DIGI01 almost decades ago.

Peace!

Koshdukai

08 Dec 2022

We're all still waiting...

https://koshdukaimusicreason.blogspot.c ... right.html

TBH, I'd rather have PolyAT support first but beggars can't be choosers :P

• Information