drawing curves into autmation lanes

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.

artotaku

11 Jan 2016

You mean bezier curve like drawing like in some other DAWs? Unfortunately not. You can draw either freehand or fixed aligned lines (CTRL+ALT on Windows) into an automation line.

If you want some nice wave forms, there is a workaround: James Bernard created a Reason document that has some prepared automation curves in various styles. You can copy/paste them into to your automation lanes and adjust them.

It´s discussed and downloadable in this thread http://www.reasontalk.com/viewtopic.php?t=7262997
Chizmata wrote:please? :redface:

Raveshaper

11 Jan 2016

While it is theoretically possible to draw curved automation, it requires scripts to generate those curves.

I have put this on my list of things to experiment with, but I have not had the time to create the project for testing.
If it works the way I think it could, it would mean printing the automation into clips one adjustment at a time via script. It would not mean that you could drag on curves to readjust them or any of the behavior seen in other hosts. It would just be a way of printing a predefined curve that you could customize using math to suit your needs. It would make the possible curves more complex in their variety, but slower and more scientific to use rather than fast and expressive to use.
:reason: :ignition: :re: :refillpacker: Enhanced by DataBridge v5

Marc64

05 Feb 2016

yes easy curve tweaks like in cv mutant where you bend the lines nicely, how hard can it be props?!

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

aeox
Competition Winner

25 Jun 2017

this is one of the things i often find myself wanting to do in Reason.

etyrnal

29 Jun 2017

How about curve drawing tools like in synchronous

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

pacorobles

30 Jun 2017

The Matrix has a curve mode. It's not exactly an automation lane, but does the trick.
Best,
Paco
:reason: 9.5

AttenuationHz

30 Jun 2017

pacorobles wrote:
30 Jun 2017
The Matrix has a curve mode. It's not exactly an automation lane, but does the trick.
Matrix curves are extremely low resolution though.

In this day and age it is badly needed. But there is a work around. You can use the envelope on expanse to automate a parameter of any device controlling and making use of its curves. It can't do the main volume or parameters out side of a combinator but there is workarounds for that also. If you want to fade the master volume in or out you could route your master out to a combinator with any device with -inf gain.

Last edited by AttenuationHz on 01 Jul 2017, edited 1 time in total.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

etyrnal

01 Jul 2017

pacorobles wrote:The Matrix has a curve mode. It's not exactly an automation lane, but does the trick.
Can you make a video showing me how you draw in multiple timing resolutions and multiple waveforms in Matrix?

etyrnal

01 Jul 2017

pacorobles wrote:The Matrix has a curve mode. It's not exactly an automation lane, but does the trick.
Do you have Synchronous?

AttenuationHz

01 Jul 2017

The matrix is not a curve it is steps you would need many matrix patterns to even come close to representing a curve and even then switching patterns can be buggy some times. Never thought of synchronous that would be the next best thing though the longest curve you can get is 1/1 which is depending on tempo very short (120bpm 4 seconds / 2 Bars) and even then there is only 3 true curves on it.
It is not too much of an ask for people or things to be the best version of itself!

Ahornberg

01 Jul 2017

Does anyone really hear a difference between a fade driven by a curved line and one driven by some line segments?

AttenuationHz

01 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
01 Jul 2017
Does anyone really hear a difference between a fade driven by a curved line and one driven by some line segments?

Has more attack or release. Drawing in is not much different form the curved version its just that it would be quicker being able to skew or curve a straight line than drawing the curves.

If there was a tool similar to curving a straight line in MSpaint it would probably be the best way to do the curves imo.

Ahornberg

01 Jul 2017

here are some ready-to-use automation curves https://www.propellerheads.se/stuff/JB34.zip

aeox
Competition Winner

12 Jul 2017

Ahornberg wrote:
01 Jul 2017
here are some ready-to-use automation curves https://www.propellerheads.se/stuff/JB34.zip

That's a workaround for a long overdue feature IMO.

You should be able to just modifier-click and drag a line and make a curve, the 11 MB free DAW Reaper even has this feature.

Props, give us bezier curve :)

teknohippy

01 Aug 2020

Automation curves are now in Reason 11 I was pleased to find out whilst searching for this!

That might push me over the upgrade decision :)

I'm sure this is widely known to most so forgive the necro but this post was the first result for "reason automation curves" in Google search and so might help someone else who ends up here. :)

Creativemind

16 Sep 2020

etyrnal wrote:
29 Jun 2017
How about curve drawing tools like in synchronous

Yes. Best idea imo. Pick a curve type, pick a duration (1/16, 1/4 etc) and draw away.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

deeplink
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2020

Matrix with Pulveriser Lag funtion works pretty well
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

• Information